PDA

View Full Version : How to space out workouts to gain weight

dj_patm
05-28-2012, 10:25 AM
So I'm looking to get back into the gym and try and put on some weight. I've attempted this a few times before but I feel my inability to keep up the required appetite and lack of direction in my work out really screwed me.

The appetite thing is the biggest hurdle but that’s just mental and I'm going to have to force myself to eat.

My work out however is something I could use some advice with. I know I should use free weights and for heavy, short sets (8-12 reps) but I don’t know how often I should work out? I’m thinking I should maybe spread my work out more and make it shorter to burn less calories? I’m not really looking to get “ripped” at the moment, I just want to get to and maintain an average weight. I think if I separate the two goals (gain and then get cut) I might have more success?

Thoughts?

max_boost
05-28-2012, 10:37 AM
No appetite? Just gotta lift harder. Burn those muscles, feel the pain! As a result you'll start eating like a mofo and sleep 8+hours a night. Bam. So simple.

Get warcaster to show you some lifts and when you are ready to lift 500lbs, call Kryn. If you need motivation, ask adidas haha

A790
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Okay, where to begin...

1) The intensity of your workout will influence your appetite. Lift heavy, lift compound, and lift properly. You *will* be hungry.

2) I don't think you need to space your workouts aside from what is typical. M-W-F, or M-T-Th-F, etc.

I'd recommend that you read up on basic workout principles to learn how your body will react to various workouts, appropriate diet, etc.

To sum it up, eat right, lift heavy, lift compound (focus on bench, overhead press, chin up/pull up, squats, deadlift), and stay consistent.

Look into the 5x5 program for a great base that will give you good long-term results.

KRyn
05-28-2012, 11:00 AM

max_boost
05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
G allon
O f
M ilk
A
D ay

Go nuts.

Supplements. Multi-vitamin, vitamin D, fish oil, ZMA.

What do you guys think about ZMA?
http://www.supplementscanada.com/infocentre-zma.htm

For the longest time I stopped dreaming. Basically slept well 8+hours per night but no dreams. Then it got to the point where I Was thinking too much and couldn't sleep well anymore. Now I started taking ZMA recently, now I dream, sleep well and have more energy. Does it work or it's in my brain? LOL

The mind is in a place of its own, it can make a heaven out of hell and a hell out of heaven

Stephen81
05-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Now I started taking ZMA recently, now I dream, sleep well and have more energy. Does it work or it's in my brain? LOL

[/B]

I was the same way, definitely noticed an improvement in sleep quality and vivid dreams

dandia89
05-28-2012, 12:17 PM
wait, are you saying that zma makes you have vivid dreams? my dreams are so annoyingly vivid, and it feels like i don't even sleep. i've heard people saying that vivid dreams means you're in a deep sleep, but i feel like my brain is exhausted after a night of dreaming.

Darkane
05-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Ideally the amount of days to workout is as many as possible while still being able to recover.

Since this is more of a body aware/more advanced trainee thing the best advice you can take is this:

Do a straight forward program of your choice. Every week add a set of half or all of the movements for 4 weeks. on the fifth week take a deload.

So it looks like this:

Sample upperbody day:

Week 1:

Flat bench press 3x3
DB incline bench press 2x8
Bench flys 2x10
Pullup 3x3
Latpull down 2x8
Face pull 2x8

Any additional shoulder mobility, stretching and foam rolling you need.

So week 2 add 1 set to everything.

By Week 4 it looks like this:

Flat bench press 6x3
DB incline bench press 4x8
Bench flys 4x10
Pullup 6x3
Latpull down 4x8
Face pull 4x8

Week 5 you can take a week off and just stretch, rest, sleep and eat.

Neil4Speed
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by A790
Okay, where to begin...

1) The intensity of your workout will influence your appetite. Lift heavy, lift compound, and lift properly. You *will* be hungry.

2) I don't think you need to space your workouts aside from what is typical. M-W-F, or M-T-Th-F, etc.

I'd recommend that you read up on basic workout principles to learn how your body will react to various workouts, appropriate diet, etc.

To sum it up, eat right, lift heavy, lift compound (focus on bench, overhead press, chin up/pull up, squats, deadlift), and stay consistent.

Look into the 5x5 program for a great base that will give you good long-term results.

From personal experience... :werd:

Especially number one, I ate like I was preparing for hibernation when I was doing these intense compound exercises.

Darkane
05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
wait, are you saying that zma makes you have vivid dreams? my dreams are so annoyingly vivid, and it feels like i don't even sleep. i've heard people saying that vivid dreams means you're in a deep sleep, but i feel like my brain is exhausted after a night of dreaming.

If you're deficient in Mag, or Zinc, yes ZMA will help in the sleep dept.

On a side note, if your dreams are super vivid you might consider a form of relaxation pre-bed.

Read a chapter or two from a book. Something mindless that doesn't really get you thinking.

Something Fantasy or War, History Fiction. Reason is you don't want to read a Get rich book, a self help book because you reflect to much on what you need to do and thinking before sleeping is bad.

Shit great reading are Biography's. I read the heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx last month. Great pre-bed read.

dandia89
05-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Reason is you don't want to read a Get rich book, a self help book because you reflect to much on what you need to do and thinking before sleeping is bad.

This makes TONS of sense. I've been getting really into sociology and psychology literature. I spend most of my team reading or watching videos about topics on it.

scboss
05-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Ideally the amount of days to workout is as many as possible while still being able to recover.

Since this is more of a body aware/more advanced trainee thing the best advice you can take is this:

Do a straight forward program of your choice. Every week add a set of half or all of the movements for 4 weeks. on the fifth week take a deload.

Best advice so far. Right now I train everyday for 4 weeks then I deload training maybe twice in one week.
Im doing strict bodybuilding and my split looks like this

Legs(pull dominant)/Abs
Chest/Bis
Back/ Low back conditioning
Cardio(intervals)
Legs(push dominant)/ Anti rotational core work
Shoulders/Tris
Cardio(recovery LSD)

I eat 3000-4000 calories a day and I gain around 1-2 lean pounds a month hahaha

Take your time learning compound lifts and eat eat eat

Spoons
05-29-2012, 12:30 PM
My workout regime has been this:

5 days a week

Monday: 6 sets of 8 at low weight
-Squats
-Free weight row
-Machine Row
-Cardio

Tuesday: 6 set of 8 at low weight
-Bench
-Skull Crushers
-Bicep curls
-Machine Bicep and tricep curls (not sure what to call em but I use the adjustable pulley)
-Cardio

Wednesday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
Same workouts as Monday

Thursday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
Same workouts as Tuesday

Friday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
-Military Press
-Lateral arm raises
-Cardio

This was built by my friend who is a trainer (who is doing it as well) and looked over by my cousin who is a trainer/nutritionist. Harder to fit into the schedule but damn is it a good workout. I've just started working out (yes I know, I was on here earlier couple years ago but laziness got the best of me) but now I've been going good.

That being said I'm new, and this is a whole lot for me, but I've got a special body. What my cousin and friend say is a naturally athletic body with good awareness. I'm naturally aware of my muscles and what is being worked out, which really helps out with my form. Everyone has complimented me on my form hahahaha. Bonus for me I guess.

I haven't been taking supplements yet. I've been told to wait for a bit and see how my body reacts to working out. I've got what we think is a high metabolism, but it could be I just haven't been eating enough. Now that I have been working out I can see mass gain and I've been eating more because of my increased appetite. I figure I will see in 2 months. If I'm tone but not where I want to be mass wise, then I will start adding in supplements.

Ultimately my goal is a lean tone athletic body. I'm not looking for bulk as I am an avid snowboarder, big muscles doesn't really make me agile. Just looking to be fit.

I'm 6'2", my goal weight is 180-185.

... Oh that and for making the girls crazy come houseboat time.

scboss
05-29-2012, 01:52 PM
U need deadlifts bro!

dandia89
05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
bros u dont get girlz with dedliftz. duh

scboss
05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
My workout regime has been this:

5 days a week

Monday: 6 sets of 8 at low weight
-Squats
-Free weight row
-Machine Row
-Cardio

Tuesday: 6 set of 8 at low weight
-Bench
-Skull Crushers
-Bicep curls
-Machine Bicep and tricep curls (not sure what to call em but I use the adjustable pulley)
-Cardio

Wednesday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
Same workouts as Monday

Thursday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
Same workouts as Tuesday

Friday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
-Military Press
-Lateral arm raises
-Cardio

This was built by my friend who is a trainer (who is doing it as well) and looked over by my cousin who is a trainer/nutritionist. Harder to fit into the schedule but damn is it a good workout. I've just started working out (yes I know, I was on here earlier couple years ago but laziness got the best of me) but now I've been going good.

That being said I'm new, and this is a whole lot for me, but I've got a special body. What my cousin and friend say is a naturally athletic body with good awareness. I'm naturally aware of my muscles and what is being worked out, which really helps out with my form. Everyone has complimented me on my form hahahaha. Bonus for me I guess.

I haven't been taking supplements yet. I've been told to wait for a bit and see how my body reacts to working out. I've got what we think is a high metabolism, but it could be I just haven't been eating enough. Now that I have been working out I can see mass gain and I've been eating more because of my increased appetite. I figure I will see in 2 months. If I'm tone but not where I want to be mass wise, then I will start adding in supplements.

Ultimately my goal is a lean tone athletic body. I'm not looking for bulk as I am an avid snowboarder, big muscles doesn't really make me agile. Just looking to be fit.

I'm 6'2", my goal weight is 180-185.

... Oh that and for making the girls crazy come houseboat time.

Yeah man definitly need some deadlifts in there. Your weight isnt going up because your not training half of your legs!!

Im 6'2 and 202 (12-14% bf) as of today and I am a hard gainer just like you. Here is a pic of me about 4-5 years ago and a pic of me now.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4417/beforeafterm.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/beforeafterm.png/)

First 2 years I had no idea what I was doing, never dead lifting, using alot of machines, shit form etc. This equalled shit ass gains in both strength and size. I maybe put 12-15 pounds in that time of lbm.

BTW 185 u will still be skinny as hell. Ill call you when im 240

Sorry for the albino pic :rofl:

Spoons
05-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

Yeah man definitly need some deadlifts in there. Your weight isnt going up because your not training half of your legs!!

Im 6'2 and 202 (12-14% bf) as of today and I am a hard gainer just like you. Here is a pic of me about 4-5 years ago and a pic of me now.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4417/beforeafterm.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/beforeafterm.png/)

First 2 years I had no idea what I was doing, never dead lifting, using alot of machines, shit form etc. This equalled shit ass gains in both strength and size. I maybe put 12-15 pounds in that time of lbm.

BTW 185 u will still be skinny as hell. Ill call you when im 240

Sorry for the albino pic :rofl:

With all due respect it sounds like your looking for bulk, not to mention your trying to vito 2 trained personal trainers.

I'll continue on with what I'm doing.

max_boost
05-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Started lifting again after almost a year layoff and my lifts went from

Squat 225X5 to 185X5
Deadlift 225X5 to 185X1
Press 105X5 to 85X5
Bench 135X5 to 115X5

Still 5'5 and 150lbs. Shit sucks. Feel so weak and useless. Use it or lose it. :facepalm:

A790
05-30-2012, 10:09 AM

With all due respect it sounds like your looking for bulk, not to mention your trying to vito 2 trained personal trainers.

Why? Your program is missing vital components that would expedite your gains. You don't have to "bulk", unless you eat that way.

Warcaster is a personal trainer, and he's damn good too.

Your routine seems very basic and is missing some important lifts for strength/function.

max_boost
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Spoons what do you weigh right now? I remember saying you were one of those skinny 160lb hard gainers. So I'm presuming you are looking to add 25lbs?

Definitely need to do deadlift, some explosive workouts, activate those fast twitch muscles and eat a lot of good healthy protein/fiber/carbs. You gotta eat man. No eating = no weight gain haha

Don't worry bro you won't get big muscles by lifting a couple weights. If that were true, A790 would look like Arnold by now. :D

A790
05-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Don't worry bro you won't get big muscles by lifting a couple weights. If that were true, A790 would look like Arnold by now. :D
Bingo.

I've always trained for strength and function over size. I'm a bigger guy, but not a body builder by any means.

I'd be very suspicious of any strength trainer that didn't incorporate deadlifts into the routine.

Not only that, but where's your shoulder work? I don't see any direct shoulder lifts, just indirect stuff from the rows/bench.

Spoons
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Bingo.

I've always trained for strength and function over size. I'm a bigger guy, but not a body builder by any means.

I'd be very suspicious of any strength trainer that didn't incorporate deadlifts into the routine.

Not only that, but where's your shoulder work? I don't see any direct shoulder lifts, just indirect stuff from the rows/bench.

Friday is shoulders with military press and lateral arm raises. I don't focus on them that much is because they get worked out indirect lifts.

My apologies warcaster, I did not realize you were a trainer too. What's a workout regime you recommend?

I've definitely been eating more. I was one of those people that didn't really eat to healthy. Now I have breakfast (bowl of vector cereal), healthier lunch and healthier supper. I have a table spoon of olive oil with breakfast, as well as munch on nuts throughout the day.

scboss
05-30-2012, 01:12 PM

I bulk clean bro. If I adjust my diet for 4 weeks I drop down to 8% bf easy and I'm ripped as shit. I train multiple guys that compete in fitness model/bodybuilding and they all deadlift in one way or another.

Btw having the title personal trainer dosnt mean shit. You can take a weekend course and be a trainer haha. Even with university under my belt I would say I have benefited most from training with a variety of experienced people and a lot of trial and error.
Deadlifts benefit you in so many ways. It is the most functional exercise when it comes to daily life

A790
05-30-2012, 01:17 PM

Friday is shoulders with military press and lateral arm raises. I don't focus on them that much is because they get worked out indirect lifts.

My apologies warcaster, I did not realize you were a trainer too. What's a workout regime you recommend?

I've definitely been eating more. I was one of those people that didn't really eat to healthy. Now I have breakfast (bowl of vector cereal), healthier lunch and healthier supper. I have a table spoon of olive oil with breakfast, as well as munch on nuts throughout the day.
Oops, didn't see your Friday schedule. I retract my shoulder comments.

DEADLIFT BRO!

http://i33.tinypic.com/vpb81g.jpg

Spoons
05-30-2012, 01:49 PM
So would you guys say that my schedule would be fine if I just included dead lifts into my days that I did squats?

Sorry warcaster, I'm quickly learning that too. I went back to my cousin (the other personal trainer) and he didn't realize there was no deadlifts in there and recommended that they be incorporated.

Wasn't trying to call you out by any means, I'm just so used to soo many people talking out of their ass when it comes to weight lifting.

scboss
05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
So would you guys say that my schedule would be fine if I just included dead lifts into my days that I did squats?

Sorry warcaster, I'm quickly learning that too. I went back to my cousin (the other personal trainer) and he didn't realize there was no deadlifts in there and recommended that they be incorporated.

Wasn't trying to call you out by any means, I'm just so used to soo many people talking out of their ass when it comes to weight lifting.

Haha man I'm not offended at all. Your cousin needs to start designing programs based around complex lifts plain and simple. The fact he had to realize it after is seriously sketch

A790
05-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Instead of a 5 day, semi-repetitious routine, try doing a 4/1 day routine with a focus on each major area.

Day 1: Chest
Bench + accessories

Day 2: Legs
Squat + accessories

Day 3: Shoulders
Overhead press + accessories

Day 4: Back
Deadlift + accessories

Day 5 (the +1): Core & cardio

Stick to major movements and you'll find that you'll put on a bit of mass, but that your overall strength will improve significantly.

For example, chest day for me used to look like:
Bench 5x5 (every six weeks I alternate between 5x5 and 4x8)
Incline dumbbell press 3x8
Dips 3x10
Cable flies 3x6
Skull-crusers 3x6

dj_patm
05-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Woah lot of responses lol.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try the basic 5x5 program. Read up online about it and there is a ton of info and praise. Mostly worried about form though cause by the sounds of it these excersizes are really dependent on it.

I'm also going to buy some nuts to keep at my desk and pack two sandwhiches a day along with a regular lunch and meals at home to make sure I keep eating. That plus regularly drinking mass building shakes should sky rocket my calorie intake (and diaherrea lol).

Starting next week.

brucebanner
05-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
Woah lot of responses lol.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try the basic 5x5 program. Read up online about it and there is a ton of info and praise. Mostly worried about form though cause by the sounds of it these excersizes are really dependent on it.

I'm also going to buy some nuts to keep at my desk and pack two sandwhiches a day along with a regular lunch and meals at home to make sure I keep eating. That plus regularly drinking mass building shakes should sky rocket my calorie intake (and diaherrea lol).

Starting next week.

Have someone show you form. It's important so you don't hurt yourself, which you can do quite easily, especially once your weight starts increasing.

I started 5x5 quite a while back, strength increased but my size didn't(shitty shitty eating habits). Used that program just to become comfortable in the gym since it's easy to follow and can be done in a short amount of time.

Good luck!

bjstare
05-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Instead of a 5 day, semi-repetitious routine, try doing a 4/1 day routine with a focus on each major area.

Day 1: Chest
Bench + accessories

Day 2: Legs
Squat + accessories

Day 3: Shoulders
Overhead press + accessories

Day 4: Back
Deadlift + accessories

Day 5 (the +1): Core & cardio

Stick to major movements and you'll find that you'll put on a bit of mass, but that your overall strength will improve significantly.

For example, chest day for me used to look like:
Bench 5x5 (every six weeks I alternate between 5x5 and 4x8)
Incline dumbbell press 3x8
Dips 3x10
Cable flies 3x6
Skull-crusers 3x6

I'm guessing deadlift day is when you work in your bis and back accessories? This looks a lot like what I've done before, +1 for overall strength, and slight mass gains.

I haven't tried a 5x5... but I have a lot of trouble gaining mass.. would a 5x5 be better for puttin on mass than the routine from A790 that I quoted?

edit: don't tell me eating is really important to gaining mass... I know that already haha.

max_boost
05-30-2012, 05:09 PM
You must do compound movements. Maybe get together with someone who actually knows how to do the lifts and have them show you/coach you i.e. warcaster

It does take a little while to get the form down. 5X5 is a great program. www.stronglifts.com has a tonne of information on how to lift, what to eat etc.

Watch this and go do it.

07fhOVQ9wEA

A790
05-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

I'm guessing deadlift day is when you work in your bis and back accessories? This looks a lot like what I've done before, +1 for overall strength, and slight mass gains.

I haven't tried a 5x5... but I have a lot of trouble gaining mass.. would a 5x5 be better for puttin on mass than the routine from A790 that I quoted?

edit: don't tell me eating is really important to gaining mass... I know that already haha.
I follow that routine off and on with good results. It really is about diet and intensity.

scboss
05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
5x5 is a solid program however it's main goal is getting u good at the big three and getting strong. For mass you are looking more for a bodybuilding style program with a lot of volume.

Make sure if you don't know how to do deads get someone to show you. You will end up getting injured.

Edit
In regards to mass gainers make sure that you never lose sight of your serratus. If you do you have gone to far with your bulking and cutting down will take longer then 4 weeks.

dj_patm
06-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I've decided before jumping right into a 5x5 I'm going to start with this beginner mass building routine:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3day-beginners-workout.html

and then after I feel it out and complete the 8 weeks I'll move into something more intense. I mainly want to feel out what is best for me and I think just picking a 5x5 routine off the cuff without having been at the gym in over a year is a bad idea.

Spoons
06-04-2012, 03:44 PM

I follow that routine off and on with good results. It really is about diet and intensity.

I ended up going back to what you build for me here: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/248340/workout-guide/

I just remembered it and that I quite liked it.

My cousin just briefly looked over my last one, but I'm heading over to his house on Sunday where we are going over dead lifts as well as he is going to build me something better, or if he likes that one I'll stick with it.

I'm going to use it for the week for now.

He owns quite a successful private gym in town, I won't say what because I fear I accidently gave him a bad name which wasn't my intention hahaha. It was just miscommunication.

scboss
06-05-2012, 02:55 AM
I've decided before jumping right into a 5x5 I'm going to start with this beginner mass building routine:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3day-beginners-workout.html

and then after I feel it out and complete the 8 weeks I'll move into something more intense. I mainly want to feel out what is best for me and I think just picking a 5x5 routine off the cuff without having been at the gym in over a year is a bad idea.

Man save yourself the trouble and dont waste your time. This programs dosnt have deadlifts or squats :dunno:

The fact that the program say gender: Male and Female should have you running scared

CUG
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I do legs with another muscle group or two. Deads are awesome as hell! So much more explosiveness this year. Jacked arms don't save dying children from burning cars..legs, core and back do. (read it somewhere)

scboss
06-15-2012, 10:27 PM
So I'm looking to get back into the gym and try and put on some weight. I've attempted this a few times before but I feel my inability to keep up the required appetite and lack of direction in my work out really screwed me.

The appetite thing is the biggest hurdle but that’s just mental and I'm going to have to force myself to eat.

My work out however is something I could use some advice with. I know I should use free weights and for heavy, short sets (8-12 reps) but I don’t know how often I should work out? I’m thinking I should maybe spread my work out more and make it shorter to burn less calories? I’m not really looking to get “ripped” at the moment, I just want to get to and maintain an average weight. I think if I separate the two goals (gain and then get cut) I might have more success?

Thoughts?

any updates?

dj_patm
06-19-2012, 09:27 AM

any updates?

Well I switched my work out and overall mentality after the first couple of times at the gym to this 5x5:

http://www.builtfit.com/workouts/strength-and-powerlifting/builtfit-5x5-workout

I know it says it's mainly strength and "lean" muscle mass and not necessarily big gains in size but I've kind of relaxed on trying to necessarily get "bigger" simply because I cannot for the life of me eat as much as required for real gains. I get sick and I just don't feel good when I over-eat plus I never really wanted to get big. Just average size but cut (I'm still pretty far from average size in my mind so I do still try and eat as much as I can)

I'm really enjoying this work out though and I am seeing real gains in Strength (even though I'm still pretty weak). Plus if I double my Bench Press, Squats, Barbell Rows, Curls and Skull Crushers I'm sure I'll look a lot better anyways :thumbsup:

Plus, Bruce Lee only weighed 160 :nut:

scboss
06-21-2012, 12:26 AM
haha yeah but bruce lee should have only been 120-125 (
if he didnt workout).
To be honest man putting on size when your first starting is so easy. You just need to get into a routine so that you are eating 5 times per day.

This is how every conversation goes with clients wanting to bulk
Client: Man I cant put on weight and I eat so much
Me: Write everything down and tell me next time i see you

Then I see that they dont eat enough and when they do its garbage.

Watch this vid I show it to alot of my clients great guidelines

hggkrZF-Bpw

dj_patm
06-21-2012, 08:00 AM
I have been tracking what I eat though and any time I get to around 3,000 calories I feel like death. Even if I work out that day.

I do still try to eat as much as I can. I think if I spread my meals out into smaller portions and just have more of them it could work but it's hard when you're still at home and your meals are cooked for a whole family and if you don't get a big portion on your plate right away, there won't be anything left. I was thinking of buying my own food but I don't think wasting my money while trying to save to move out is worth it.

What do you guys think of that work out tho? I really like it. I feel geniunely stronger and it's enjoyable. Doing these big compound workouts really showed me how weak I am so it's a good motivator as well.

scboss
06-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Program is pretty generic and will get you STRONG. I can tell you right now tho if you are eating what your family is eating that is your problem.
IMO how fast you get results depend on three things
Workout
Eating
Sleep

So if you have one of these missing prepared to see the results come very slow. If you are eating what your family eats you are not getting what you need to recover properly

Neil4Speed
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM

I know it says it's mainly strength and "lean" muscle mass and not necessarily big gains in size but I've kind of relaxed on trying to necessarily get "bigger" simply because I cannot for the life of me eat as much as required for real gains. I get sick and I just don't feel good when I over-eat plus I never really wanted to get big. Just average size but cut (I'm still pretty far from average size in my mind so I do still try and eat as much as I can)

One of the only things that worked to help me put on weight was eating lots of red meat (no surprise there). I would buy a 3lb inside round from Superstore, throw it into a pan and oven it for 2 hours. I would cut it into about 6 different pieces (trimming the fat), and take it to work for lunch. That with two protein shakes a day+ regular eating and I was actually able to put on some solid mass.

I'm the same as you, I hate over eating, but this seemed to work for me.

max_boost
06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't think you are lifting hard enough man. I'm seriously, when you lift and train hard, you will eat like a monster. Your body demands you to refuel it with everything in sight.

dj_patm
06-22-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't think you are lifting hard enough man. I'm seriously, when you lift and train hard, you will eat like a monster. Your body demands you to refuel it with everything in sight.

I dunno man I think I do.
On the days I workout I eat close to 3,000 calories (including my shakes) and I feel like shit. Not enjoyable.

scboss
06-22-2012, 05:02 PM

On the days I workout I eat close to 3,000 calories (including my shakes) and I feel like shit. Not enjoyable.

Do you do any cardio? Im telling you the program is very generic and you are gonna get generic results based on someone elses program/goals.

You are eating 3000 calories of generic food because you eat with your family.
Which means low protien and high in bad carbs
Yo want crazy results yet you dont have a crazy program or eating habits.

If you want it bad you will make it happen :thumbsup:

dj_patm
06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
I'll probably research some nutritional programs.

I don't think I'll change my work out for a few weeks though. The results in strength are just to satisfying. At this point I'm way too happy with how it's going to change it.

scboss
06-23-2012, 03:09 PM
I'll probably research some nutritional programs.

I don't think I'll change my work out for a few weeks though. The results in strength are just to satisfying. At this point I'm way too happy with how it's going to change it.

Yeah for sure stick with it. Just make sure u switch it up after so u don't get to linear. Eat eat eat bro

Darkane
06-23-2012, 05:18 PM

Question: Are you Brown?

I'm not being prejudice, but One of my best friends growing up was brown. I ate supper many times at his house.

The kind of food eaten did not equal muscle. That's for sure.

The only thing was milk, and maybe that. I'm not a milk advocate.

By the way, what is it with brown people and milk? :dunno:

swak
06-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Curiosity sake: what sort of foods do "brown people" eat that don't equate to muscle - maybe I share something in my diet thatd be good to know haha..

ZorroAMG
06-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Look at all indian/ethnic food, Swak (other than Lebanese).

It's all rice, potatos, and fucking sauces on everything. Everything.

It's good food, taste wise, but man...that shit fattens you up fast. It's as bad as italian...almost.

Darkane
06-24-2012, 10:21 AM
@Swak What Zorro said along with the fact most dishes are vegetarian and when they're not, meat isn't the focus of the dish. Very low protein and to many carbs.

Add the sauces as well and bam. You get fat vegetarians lol.

dj_patm
06-25-2012, 08:43 AM
lol no I'm a white polak.

Despite maybe not eating as much as I should, I'm positive I get a lot of protien at least. For the last two weeks I've been eating mostly steak, chicken breast and fish, plus my protien shake.

I have gained 5-6 lbs since I started. Can't really notice it yet though. Only real difference I think I see is some definition in my lower chest.

Neil4Speed
06-25-2012, 08:59 AM

Question: Are you Brown?

I'm not being prejudice, but One of my best friends growing up was brown. I ate supper many times at his house.

The kind of food eaten did not equal muscle. That's for sure.

The only thing was milk, and maybe that. I'm not a milk advocate.

By the way, what is it with brown people and milk? :dunno:

Lol, wasn't there a thread about that a while back about some guy being pissed that brown people were buying all the milk at Superstore?

Again, I understand that your being objective but I think different "brown" people do eat differently. I generally have fish and Chicken with every dinner, with Brown Rice and some Veg (generally Kale/Jackfruit), and Red Lentils.

I'm trying to think What the "white" families I know of eat on a regular basis, and in my head its about the same protien /carb wise.

A790
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Lol, wasn't there a thread about that a while back about some guy being pissed that brown people were buying all the milk at Superstore?

Again, I understand that your being objective but I think different "brown" people do eat differently. I generally have fish and Chicken with every dinner, with Brown Rice and some Veg (generally Kale/Jackfruit), and Red Lentils.

I'm trying to think What the "white" families I know of eat on a regular basis, and in my head its about the same protien /carb wise.
People tend to eat like shit, regardless of race.

My meals are "disgusting" to most families: a basic protein source, green vegetable, small amount of natural carbs. Steak, broccoli/asparagus, tomato salad. Too boring for most people.

bjstare
06-25-2012, 10:34 AM
The steak and broccoli/asparagus combo is a great one. good taste, and so many different ways to cook and season a steak, takes a long time before you get sick of it :thumbsup:

dj_patm
06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
I HATE Deadlifts. My form always feels wrong even without any weight. I can't stand them and they're a fantastic way to hurt your back.

scboss
06-29-2012, 02:06 PM
I HATE Deadlifts. My form always feels wrong even without any weight. I can't stand them and they're a fantastic way to hurt your back.

If done correctly they are the most beneficial mvnt period. You are obviously doing them wrong and should get someone to show you.
If you want grip, power, strength, size and functional strength deadlift is king.
Be a man do the right thing. I train girls that are under 100 pounds and can dl 185x5 with perfect form.
Do it now and have it later!!!

canadian booster
06-29-2012, 02:16 PM
i'm the same way, i'm 6'2" and 160lbs now, i eat until i'm going to be sick 3 or 4 times a day, i just can't gain weight, i was up to 180 and going to the gym 5 days a week but then hurt my back (unrelated to working out) and can't go anymore, i've lost the 20 lbs i worked my ass off to get to, not to mention the $ invested in everything to get there

best of luck, i hope you reach your goals, some of us genetically just aren't meant to be bigger, and if any of you fancy ass personal trainers can prove me wrong, go for it, nothing's going to work on me short of seeing a doctor for metabolism drugs

dj_patm
06-29-2012, 04:27 PM

If done correctly they are the most beneficial mvnt period. You are obviously doing them wrong and should get someone to show you.
If you want grip, power, strength, size and functional strength deadlift is king.
Be a man do the right thing. I train girls that are under 100 pounds and can dl 185x5 with perfect form.
Do it now and have it later!!!

I did have people show me, on top of watching a million videos. I truly think I'm doing it right, I just hate the motion.

On the plus side, I haven't gone a week without adding close to 10 lbs to my squats :) Every time I do them I feel like I can do more.

My bench is starting to plateau, wasn't able to go up this week, but felt comfortable with the max I was doing for 3 reps so next week I'll probably move up.

Dips are getting better, can do an average amount at least. Still can't do as many pull ups as I would like, but hopefully that'll come soon.

Barbell Row is going up, added 20 lbs in three weeks.

And then of course my biggest ego deflation, overhead barbell press, is still stuck at basically the same weight I started at.

All the other side workout's seem to be steadily going up as well.

So thats a mini-update at 3 weeks in on the work out side.

As for weight, still the same weight I started at. I was up a couple pounds but lost it as of today. I just can't eat. At all. Even when I'm starving after the gym, whenever I eat significantly more then my average amount, I get sick. Really sick :barf:

Sucks.

scboss
06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by canadian booster
i'm the same way, i'm 6'2" and 160lbs now, i eat until i'm going to be sick 3 or 4 times a day, i just can't gain weight, i was up to 180 and going to the gym 5 days a week but then hurt my back (unrelated to working out) and can't go anymore, i've lost the 20 lbs i worked my ass off to get to, not to mention the $ invested in everything to get there

best of luck, i hope you reach your goals, some of us genetically just aren't meant to be bigger, and if any of you fancy ass personal trainers can prove me wrong, go for it, nothing's going to work on me short of seeing a doctor for metabolism drugs

how long did you workout for? I am living proof that it can happen as long as you dedicate yourself. I have also had a major back injury and I just trained my back to be stronger. A doctor wont help with anything find someone to rehab you and strengthin your back.

It took me 3.5 years to go from 160-200 keep at it

JayDoggExclusiv
06-30-2012, 12:53 PM
^ Exactly.

At first I thought I was a hard gainer too, I started at 150 lbs and I am now 160-161 lbs and have been training for 3 months. You just gotta eat like a monster and take the right supplements. I reccommend mutant mass, it worked for me :) Try to take 3500-4000 calories a day not including what you burn off training.

dj_patm
07-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by JayDoggExclusiv
^ Exactly.

At first I thought I was a hard gainer too, I started at 150 lbs and I am now 160-161 lbs and have been training for 3 months. You just gotta eat like a monster and take the right supplements. I reccommend mutant mass, it worked for me :) Try to take 3500-4000 calories a day not including what you burn off training.

That advice only works when you tell it to someone who doesn't feel incredibly sick when they eat that many calories.

Been a month now but I'm still at the same weight. Feel physically stronger I think my pecs and triceps are getting bigger or at least a lot more defined but as for the scale it hasn't moved.

dj_patm
07-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Also, any thoughts on additional supplements to protein? I bought regular whey iso instead of mass builder cause my stomach couldn't handle enough of it in a serving to get the protein I needed. I also bought the vitamin packs they have at GNC too. Might've been a rip off but meh... Sounded like a good idea and a few people had suggested it to me before. More of an impulse buy...

This shit:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4033435

max_boost
07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Fish oil, vitamin d, zma.

scboss
07-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Also, any thoughts on additional supplements to protein? I bought regular whey iso instead of mass builder cause my stomach couldn't handle enough of it in a serving to get the protein I needed. I also bought the vitamin packs they have at GNC too. Might've been a rip off but meh... Sounded like a good idea and a few people had suggested it to me before. More of an impulse buy...

This shit:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4033435

I take BCAA and protien. You speak of your chest and tris but how are your squats and deadlifts coming??

This is where the mass comes from. How many times are you eating per day?

dj_patm
07-10-2012, 12:00 AM

I take BCAA and protien. You speak of your chest and tris but how are your squats and deadlifts coming??

This is where the mass comes from. How many times are you eating per day?

My squats are fantastic. I have added almost 10-20 lbs every week for a month now. Deadlifts started off poorly but now that I got the form down I feel like they're coming along.

Actually my chest and tricep workouts are probably the weakest part of my progress but thats just where I saw the most noticeable physical change (not that it was anything crazy). I guess it's just hard to notice your legs and core getting bigger.

My diet is still shit. I eat 3 main meals a day. Any days I eat significantly more then usual, even if it's spread out, I get pretty sick.

dj_patm
07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
On saturday I was doing squats and was at a comfortable weight, a weight I've done with no issues before, and as I started to stand up my left foot gave out on me and I had to drop the barbell as I started to tip. I was fine but now I seem to be paranoid as fuck when I'm doing sqauts. I don't feel comfortable at all and I'm not able to do the same weight that I did before.

Any tips on how to not be a pussy when it comes to this shit?

(P.S. I was pretty hung over, so maybe that contributed some how)

A790
07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
On saturday I was doing squats and was at a comfortable weight, a weight I've done with no issues before, and as I started to stand up my left foot gave out on me and I had to drop the barbell as I started to tip. I was fine but now I seem to be paranoid as fuck when I'm doing sqauts. I don't feel comfortable at all and I'm not able to do the same weight that I did before.

Any tips on how to not be a pussy when it comes to this shit?

(P.S. I was pretty hung over, so maybe that contributed some how)
1) Don't squat heavy when you're hung, even if you've done the weight before with no issues. Being hungover/dehydrated can sap A TON of your strength.

2) Use the oh shit rails as a safety net. That way you won't feel like you're in trouble if you have to bail on some weight.

scboss
07-17-2012, 11:15 AM

1) Don't squat heavy when you're hung, even if you've done the weight before with no issues. Being hungover/dehydrated can sap A TON of your strength.

2) Use the oh shit rails as a safety net. That way you won't feel like you're in trouble if you have to bail on some weight.

Always use the safety bars. If your going ass to grass without a spotter you would be stupid not to use one.
Btw getting drunk destroys your nervous system, it has been proven that if you get wasted your CNS will not recover for up to 2 weeks. Dosnt matter much if your bodybuilding but when it comes to strength your lift drops a lot.

If you want to get big dedicate yourself to it, if not don't be surprised when nothing happens. It's ok to have a couple beers but if your getting smashed then your workouts are going to get destroyed

max_boost
07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I dunno how but I set a new personal best for bench!

Bench is by far my weakest lift and I pulled off a 125X10 the other night! :eek: Not bad for a 150lb guy eh eh eh? LOL

scboss
07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
I dunno how but I set a new personal best for bench!

Bench is by far my weakest lift and I pulled off a 125X10 the other night! :eek: Not bad for a 150lb guy eh eh eh? LOL

That's pretty good. Your 1rm is around 160. Were you doing a power lifter style bench or just normal?

I busted out a 245x3 bar to chest using powerlifting bench tech last week :). It funny because once I stopped caring about size I've been getting hella strong and the weight keeps on coming

max_boost
07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
All I did was made my grip wider. I benched quite narrow before.

This is just all for fun anyway. Move some weights and don't get hurt in the process. :D

scboss
07-17-2012, 03:46 PM
All I did was made my grip wider. I benched quite narrow before.

This is just all for fun anyway. Move some weights and don't get hurt in the process. :D

Yeah its all about having fun!

dj_patm
07-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Got my confidence back in the squats. Decided to start my first set at a lower weight and just increase it by 5 lbs every set insted of starting immideatly at a heavy but comfortable weight. Today was the first time I was able to raise my max since my little stumble.

My bench press has taken off and I'll finally be attempting my goal weight on Friday (nothing crazy, 135 lbs) which right on schedule with my prediction of end of july... Didn't think I was going to make it but over the last two weeks it's felt great.

My deadlifts are coming along as well.

I'll be starting weighted dips next week which should be interesting.

Weight wise I'm still hovering around the same mark, 5-6 lbs heavier then my starting weight but I haven't been eating like I should be so I'm not suprised. I look a lot more cut though which is nice :)

dj_patm
08-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Ah disaster has struck.

For the third time in a little over a month I got a really sharp pain in under my right shoulder blade that lasted a few hours. Nothing I did seemed to stop the pain besides laying perfectly still.

It doesn't seem to correlate with anything related to my workout (it has come before and after my workouts and on off days and it has come after both my shoulder orianted days and my chest orianted days) but I'm still going to take it easy this week. Probably just going to go on Friday and do a light work out and skip my back :dunno:

Risking the pain coming back more frequently is NOT worth it.

AudiPWR
08-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Try SMOLOV... I just finished Smolov JR for bench and put on 20 lbs on my 1RM after 3 weeks. It's super intense but the results are unreal. If you google "Smolov JR Calculator" you can find the program..