PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad rim bend?

gyu
05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm considering buying this guys rims but one of them is bent.

The bent rim:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/93geesir/DSC_0569.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/93geesir/DSC_0570.jpg

Should I bother with these?

TIA :thumbsup:

Kloubek
05-28-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm no expert whatsoever, but I'd say that looks like fairly minor damage when it comes to repairing...

No cracks, spokes are fine, inner wall appears to still be round...

crxcel
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM
I would say it would cost about $240 to get it repaired and painted through a wheel company. I had one about the same and sent it away and it was $80 to just straighten it. I painted it myself

S13ontap
05-28-2012, 02:12 PM
130 for the repair, 130 for the painting and clearcoating at alberta wheel. just make sure you request the clearcoat as well

gyu
05-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Does it have to be repaired? The seller said there wasn't any leaks or wobbles when he had it.

GT4rally
05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Doesn't have to be repaired... as long as it can be balanced properly (which there is no reason why it can't be) it'll be fine. But, I would put it on the rear to avoid any slight vibrations through the steering, which may or may not occur.

tomt64
05-28-2012, 10:59 PM
The wheel repair guy that comes round every week told me generally speaking if the bend is just one side of the rim it is normally possible to repair within reason.
If you can see both sides of the rim (inside and outside) that has a wiggle in it at the same place, it cant be repaired.
Throw the rim on a balancer and spin it by hand and you should be able to see if its bad or not.

ROBOCOP
05-17-2013, 02:43 AM
I actually have two rims with a similar bend on both. They balanced fine, one required more weights then the other but still balanced. I threw them on the back and there is vibration that can be felt throughout the whole car now, as opposed to just the steering if mounted on the front, at certain speeds. Driving me insane and I'm about to take them off and toss them.

If these wheels are a good deal it might be worth trying, but be prepared to spend more to fix them. I was unfortunate and wasn't told they were bent and they are actually less noticeable than yours. Seller tells me he "didn't know" HAH

EDIT: Oops one year old bump lol