PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest computer/cable bug I've ever seen.

DeeK
05-29-2012, 02:38 AM
In all my 15 years of being a PC tech I've never seen anything like this. I've got it fixed but I still don't understand it. Maybe someone with more experience or knowledge can chime in on whats going on here?

3 computers in my place. Two of which, a media computer, and my gaming computer, just recently got sound card updates. The media computer got a Asus Xonar DG. Now prior to this we had it hooked up like so:

Video is plugged into a monitor and a Samsung TV, both through DVI cables.
Audio comes out of my computer into a 3.5mm Y jack splitter and runs into my stereo receiver (yes only 2 channels) via a 3.5mm jack to L/R RCA cable, and the other end of the splitter goes to a set of cheap computer speakers. ANALOGUE ONLY! No digital audio whatsoever.

Never had any issues before the sound card update, everything worked great. Got my sound card installed, and everything worked fine even after the update.

However, tonight.... No audio cables plugged in yet, and I have video coming through my TV, WITH SOUND FROM THE TV! Last time I checked DVI cables couldn't carry sound, especially from a video card with no sound going into it!

And to top it all off, when I turned the sound off on the TV, and plugged in the Audio splitter, with both the computer speakers and receiver plugged into it I could get sound coming out the little computer speakers, but not out of the receiver. It took a computer restart to get the receiver working again, despite nothing changing on the receiver.

A sound card simply sends or receives audio out of said port. Just basing this on signal flow of an analogue signal alone, a sound card should not be able to determine which path of a splitter the audio takes along the signal chain, it should just send it down both paths reducing signal strength evenly across both if it were not strong enough.

Media computer:
- i5 2500k
- 8GB ram
- Gigabyte board (I can't remember which one, without digging out the box)
- Geforce 560
- Asus Xonar DG
- Silverstone HTPC case and PSU.

Computer ghosts I tell you. :eek: :confused:

Grogador
05-29-2012, 04:00 AM
"DVI cables" carry the same digital signal that "HDMI cables" do, including sound.

adam c
05-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
"DVI cables" carry the same digital signal that "HDMI cables" do, including sound.

yes the first time i heard this i was shocked as well as i was always told DVI only does video no sound

Toyota Racing
05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
VGA is the one that does video but no sound...

spikerS
05-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Grogador

wow, that is news to me too. interesting!

rage2
05-29-2012, 09:08 AM
DVI supports HDMI over DVI in newer devices + cables, so it's no different than hooking up a HDMI cable.

DeeK
05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Okay, understandable. I have always been told, and seen it written everywhere (since HDMI was released) that DVI cables do not carry audio. But I can see how that works.

Even still though, I'm more confused how the sound went through one side of the splitter but not the other, and then worked fine after a restart. That is what really messes with my mind.