Whats the work environment like...

Salary, benefits etc...

Thanks in advance...

pm'd

deee_wreck
06-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Bump

Just got a call to interview tomorrow

Would love to hear any insight to how the company is now.

Been googling news articles so far.

msommers
06-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Curious, what position?

buh_buh
06-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Didn't they lay off a bunch of people 6 or 8 months ago?

Feruk
06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Basically, the company's a mess attempting to recover right now. It was headed towards failure, but in the last year or so they booted President, CEO, CFO, several board members, and all the senior VPs except one. They did a few rounds of layoffs, last one being TODAY. I doubt that's the end of it.

I think the new team actually has a decent chance of setting the company up for success, but it'll take time.

Atmosphere: VERY poor

Salary/Benefits: Good

Savings Plan: Really good

Bonuses: Varies, but typically nothing to write home about

If you can work in a toxic environment for the next year or so, you might come out ahead. I think quitting was one of the best decisions I ever made and wouldn't even consider working there without a major salary incentive.

bourge73
06-11-2014, 05:14 PM
^^ my buddy said the exact same thing. He jumped ship a while ago to Cenovus
and couldn't be happier.

J.M.
06-11-2014, 07:21 PM
So they did a round of layoffs today and are also interviewing for other positions? Lol wtf?

Feruk
06-11-2014, 07:33 PM
I think today was just two guys higher up. A few weeks ago they did a clean sweep of their 2nd most successful development team and canned most of the management of their main development team.

deee_wreck
06-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Curious, what position?

Contract position for facilities engineer

It was posted on LinkedIn a while back.

deee_wreck
06-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Basically, the company's a mess attempting to recover right now. It was headed towards failure, but in the last year or so they booted President, CEO, CFO, several board members, and all the senior VPs except one. They did a few rounds of layoffs, last one being TODAY. I doubt that's the end of it.

I think the new team actually has a decent chance of setting the company up for success, but it'll take time.

Atmosphere: VERY poor

Salary/Benefits: Good

Savings Plan: Really good

Bonuses: Varies, but typically nothing to write home about

If you can work in a toxic environment for the next year or so, you might come out ahead. I think quitting was one of the best decisions I ever made and wouldn't even consider working there without a major salary incentive.

Thanks for the info.

Its contract position for one year.

I'm wanting to find out the internal aches and pains they're having right now to see how to sell my skills.

ExtraSlow
06-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Companies in transition like this can be a great opportunity. I know two guy who have started there in the last couple months.

mr2mike
06-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
I think today was just two guys higher up. A few weeks ago they did a clean sweep of their 2nd most successful development team and canned most of the management of their main development team.

You're in the know.
I can verify this.

darthVWader
06-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

You're in the know.
I can verify this.

X2

Feruk
06-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Rumors of big non-technical staff layoffs coming this week over there either tomorrow or Wednesday. Rumor is 100-150, we shall see.

killramos
06-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Brutal... You definitely made a good move jumping ship. Aparently it isn't steering nearly as well as Rick George thought it would...

darthVWader
06-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Cuts starting again today. So far at least 27 gone maybe more to come this afternoon.

ExtraSlow
06-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Calgary appears to be a pretty cutthroat place to work these days. Lots of cuts happening.

Feruk
06-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Total count's under 50 from the sound of it. Mainly from the financial side.

My guess is these are minor compared to what we'll see at Nexen in a few months when the two year "no firing" clause expires and CNOC goes to town.

Lex350
06-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Calgary appears to be a pretty cutthroat place to work these days. Lots of cuts happening.

Ya...but isn't that the energy business in town. Its either feast or famine

ExtraSlow
06-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Hilarious thing is that several of the companies mentioned above making cuts are also actively recruiting for targeted high-value technical positions.

Lex350
06-25-2014, 02:16 PM
The other thing I've noticed over the years is that lay-offs seem to coincide with renovations to the executive floors. It happens so often that once a firm gets rid of people they spend a sh&t load of money redoing their offices.

flipstah
06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
The other thing I've noticed over the years is that lay-offs seem to coincide with renovations to the executive floors. It happens so often that once a firm gets rid of people they spend a sh&t load of money redoing their offices.

"The carpet is new, held down by the remnants of your fallen bretherens. It's shag."