308 17 Avenue Southwest, Calgary, AB T2S 0A3
(403) 265-7343
www.modelmilk.ca

Monday – Saturday: 5:00PM – 1:00AM
Sunday: 5:00PM – 10:00PM

Food Rating: 7/10
Ambience: 7/10
Service: 8/10

My girlfriends and I were a little iffy about going after seeing their rating on urbanspoon to be below 70%. However, most of the reviews were because of the horrible service they received, rather than on the food.

Started off with two appetizers, Calamari and the Octopus, both of them were very moist and had a lot of mix flavours and they were not chewy or soggy. Neither of the dishes were overpowered by the spices within the dish, you can still taste the squid and the octopus. We all preferred the Calamari over the Octopus though as it gives it a little kick. There was quite a bit of calamari
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9990/p1000153r.jpghttp://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9397/p1000154cw.jpg

For our main course, we shared the Chicken and Waffle, The Burger, and Lamb & Pasta (Macaroni) between 4 people. The Chicken and Waffle was very interesting. The chicken was moist, but the flavour was overwhelmed by the stuffing and the veggies. The veggies tasted like those salty, Chinese preserved vegetables. The chicken and the waffle were on the sweeter side, but the salty vegetable balances it out. For me, the chicken was my favorite.
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7060/p1000156f.jpg

We heard that The Burger is very popular, so we decided to give it a try. This dish was my friends’ favorite dish. The patty wasn’t oily and it tasted fresh. I didn’t think the burger was anything special. I wasn’t a fan of the fries either. It had a weird taste to it, it tasted like it was fried in old oil.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2916/p1000155xl.jpg

Lastly for entrees, we had the Lamb & Pasta (Macaroni). The macaroni was a little too al dente for my liking. The lamb was very tough and the taste of the lamb was very strong, very gamey. Overall, I did not like this dish very much, but I’m not a big lamb fan, so maybe that’s why.
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2268/p1000157n.jpg

The girls and I decided to try only two out of the four desserts. We heard good things about the apple pie, but we thought it’s very normal, so we decided to go with the PB & J Chocolate Cake and the Lemon Thyme Pot Au Crème. The server told us the peanut butter are made from the middle of the Reese Cups. The cake was really sweet and heavy. It didn’t seem like there were enough jelly for the cake though. One thing that made it less appetizing for us was that the cake was left in the open with nothing covering it or in the fridge. You can see a ton of employees walking pass it because it was on the counter of the open kitchen.

The Lemon Thyme Pot Au Crème was a great finish to the night. It tasted really fresh and the lemon was really strong, you can taste a hint of thyme and the graham cracker crumbs added a great texture. It reminded me of a lemon meringue pie. The raspberry (?) jelly compliments the dish very well. I loved this dish. It wasn’t too sweet and it didn’t make you extremely full afterwards. It kind of helped create more of an appetite!
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7407/p1000159h.jpghttp://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6456/p1000160m.jpg

Overall, it was a great experience. We had amazing service and we didn’t have to wait late for the food to arrive. We had a reservation at 6PM, it wasn’t too busy, but by the time we left, it was full house. The crowd that night were older. It was ~$30-$35 per person (4 people) including tax and tip.

I would definitely go back to try the apple pie and possibly the Sunday dinner.

G-ZUS
05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by xolemonteaox
My girlfriends and I

How many do you have :eek:

Quiet10
05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Assuming that lemontea is a girl... :dunno:

xolemonteaox
05-29-2012, 02:56 PM
haha, indeed I am. Thought my username would give it away.

KRyn
05-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Sounds like you got mutton and not spring lamb hah.

turbotrip
05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

How many do you have :eek:

:rofl: :rofl: that was my first reaction too

sputnik
05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
Sounds like you got mutton and not spring lamb hah.

Usually the difference between local lamb and imported lamb.

I find the NZ lamb from Costco to be VERY gamey while the local stuff from the farmers market to be much nicer.

clem24
05-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Weird.. I must say that reading the post gave me the impression that the food does NOT deserve a 7, more like a 4 or 5. Including the odd name, the whole impression of the review screams to me typical Calgary fare - "trendy, overpriced and mediocre". Does not make me want to go there at all.

R-Audi
05-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Prices are actually decent.. I think the most expensive item is $29. That was steak/tenderloin.

clem24
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Prices are actually decent.. I think the most expensive item is $29. That was steak/tenderloin.

$19 for the "the burger" is not pricey? Even OP mentions that she didn't think the burger was anything special.

OP mentions both this and the lamb essentially sucked ("it was tough"). "Chicken was overwhelmed by the stuffing" and vegetables tasted like "Chinese salted veggies". When a place fucks up their entrees this badly, yeah I'd say it suffers from the Calgary "trendy, overpriced and mediocre" syndrome.

bignerd
05-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Usually the difference between local lamb and imported lamb.

I find the NZ lamb from Costco to be VERY gamey while the local stuff from the farmers market to be much nicer.

Really? We buy the spring rack of lamb and I love it-and I do not eat a lot of lamb(actually never bought, cooked or ate lamb until the stuff from Costco) so am very sensitive to "gaminess" but will eat these no problem.

R-Audi
05-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Guess I had a different experience when I went...
$29 Steak was great, as was my Wifes $19 burger.

BTW.. I dont see $19 being that bad for a burger at a nice restaurant.. you can easily spend $10-12 at Five Guys, McDonalds, Wendys, Clive Burger and be at a fast food joint.

xolemonteaox
05-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by clem24

$19 for the "the burger" is not pricey? Even OP mentions that she didn't think the burger was anything special.

OP mentions both this and the lamb essentially sucked ("it was tough"). "Chicken was overwhelmed by the stuffing" and vegetables tasted like "Chinese salted veggies". When a place fucks up their entrees this badly, yeah I'd say it suffers from the Calgary "trendy, overpriced and mediocre" syndrome. As stated, I'm not a big lamb person, so maybe that's why I didn't like it that much. As for the chicken, I did state that that was my favorite dish no?

R-Audi beat me to it, I was going to say, regular places like Clive Burger is very ordinary and can be +$10. Moxie's, Joey's, etc. charges even more!

For ~$30-$35 per person (incl. tax and tip), I think that's pretty reasonable for a restaurant...

Graham_A_M
05-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Interesting, wouldn't mind trying it. How was the selection for typical meat? (I dont eat seafood so Ocotopus & Calamari are a no-go).

Just wondering if anything else with meat looked as good as anything else.

Xtrema
05-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Food is average. But since you now can build a $15 burger at Clive down by Melrose, $19 with fries and service isn't bad. Still find Classic Jack's burger to be the best for the price on the 17th.

And that building (Model Milk) gets interesting at night because of the gay bar in the basement.