PDA

View Full Version : anyone who drives mustang here?

makulitz
05-29-2012, 10:57 PM
hey guys.. just wondering who else drives a stang here that's experiencing notchy as hell shifter and a bit harder to shift.. it prevents me from quick shifts.. i just parked my civic for summer that has manual tranny and when i switched back to my mustang, it was like night and day difference when it comes on shifting.. any input would be appreciated..

leftwing
05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Kind of a vague question. My car has the Tremec T-56 6 speed (03 cobra) and it definitely is notchy. Im not sure about your car, or tranny, but I know mine is a well-known notchy shifter.

Tik-Tok
05-30-2012, 02:48 PM
My '05 GT felt notchy, but not enough to prevent quick shifting.

makulitz
05-30-2012, 08:15 PM
mine has t5 tranny 07 v6 stang and feels notchy.. clutch is new like 15k ago and now car has 54k.. i heard mustang are terrible in clutch and tranny issue..
its just feels something blocking any gears before it fully engage to the position say neutral to 1st to 2nd on so on like there's something in between the gears right before i place it in.

Shlade
05-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Shifting it how? Normal every day driving or are you trying to slam the gears? Ive owned my fair share of mustangs from foxbodys, sn95`s new edges, and S197`s and all of them felt a little notchy...

If you are trying to do quick shifts try and look at a upgrades shift knob (sounds dumb but any aftermarket one from Steeda or Ford or even Hurst make a huge difference in shifting) The stock knob is pretty crappy. If that doesnt fix it look at a short shifter.

I think by far my 08 Bullitt Mustang had the worst transmission ever. I could almost rarely quick shift it from second to third without it getting jammed.

To add to that As a Mustang enthusiast and huge supported of Mustangs I hate they`re shitty transmissions with a passion.

makulitz
05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
normal driving man.. i need to get use to this car again since i just put this back on the road yesterday from a civic.. and man, it's definitely a big change.. civic's clutch was light and the stang is stiff.. shifts are like butter and stang is like ..... i dunno couldn't explaint it.. lolz! but i still love this car! :)

Joe-G
05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
That's probably just the way it is. Notchy. In comparison to your newer mustang, older Hondas & Acuras shift very smooth IMO. Just the way the shift linkage is set up. Simple, yet very well engineered.

I've compared it to other vehicles I've had before ie. S2000, E46, MKII MR2, MKIV Supra, etc. all of which had a notchy shifter feeling in comparison to any of my older Hondas. Just the way it is? :dunno:

makulitz
05-30-2012, 08:47 PM
it could be.. hoping that there's still remedy for this.. i really love the car but not really having fun driving it because of this.. specially when im on traffic jam.. my leg would be sore before i get home because of the stiff clutch.. it's like a leg workout! lolz!

@shlade: u drive the green bullitt isn't?

Shlade
05-30-2012, 08:51 PM
No,

I had a Black Bullitt last year. Theres one person I know who has a green one that im familiar with but I dont know any of the other owners around Calgary.

makulitz
05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
oh ok.. sorry.

i heard royal purple synchromax helps with this situation.. what's your input about this? i've read a lot of forums and a lot of people swear by it and there are some that had bad luck and blew their tranny.. can my dealer void my warranty if i change this fluid myself?

Shlade
05-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Really dont see how it would blow your transmission. Doesnt hurt giving it a try to see if it fixed the problem though.

I find it weird that you say your clutch feels stiff lol... They`re Hydraulic so should be pretty light.. At least mine was super light.. My 03 Cobra on the other hand was stiff as fuck since it was cable driven.

makulitz
05-30-2012, 09:53 PM
i got the car used at the dealership at 26k and was complaining about the stiff clutch and they had to replace the whole clutch assembly at around 38k i believe and it made very little to nothing improvement.. been reading from mustang forums that this is one of they're dilemma aside from notchy tranny.

Offroad
05-31-2012, 12:15 AM
Don't worry our Camaros are no better I've had old trucks shift better than my T-56 :banghead:

Tik-Tok
05-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
I find it weird that you say your clutch feels stiff lol... They`re Hydraulic so should be pretty light.. At least mine was super light.. My 03 Cobra on the other hand was stiff as fuck since it was cable driven.

Just because it's hydraulic, doesn't mean it won't be stiff. My MR2 clutch is hyd. and with my new clutch it's stiff as hell.

The spring pressure forces still has to go somewhere. The hyd. just makes it easier.

ercchry
05-31-2012, 08:56 AM
wow this thread is dumb... stop comparing a fwd cable linkage civic to a rwd direct shifting mustang. its the way it is. if you are going to be a girl just buy an auto mazda 3

mr2mike
05-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
wow this thread is dumb... stop comparing a fwd cable linkage civic to a rwd direct shifting mustang. its the way it is. if you are going to be a girl just buy an auto mazda 3
:rofl:

makulitz
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

If it's dumb then why bother reading this thread and even waste your time replying? :banghead: Look who's talking?

Im not here to be a d#*khead posting what someone else might be experiencing so don't be like one.. Just enjoy reading it and if you've got nothing really nice to say then drive an auto mazda 3 yourself..

ercchry
05-31-2012, 10:27 AM
hahaha, are you a child?

welcome to beyond, where people speak their minds.

you posted a thread asking what was wrong with your car, the answer is that whats wrong with it is the driver. you dont like it get a new car. i thought the message of my post was rather clear. as you can see i DO drive a mustang. you asked the question. im just doing my part as an active member to answer it :devil:

mr2mike
05-31-2012, 11:17 AM
It's like when I had my Mustang years and years ago. Cable clutch pedal. I borrowed my dad's BMW and it was night and day with the hydraulic clutch.
I realized how behind the times Ford actually was in such simple technologies, just to keep their profit margins.

Compare a 94 Mustang (1st yr of the greatly acclaimed new body style) after sporting the same fox body for about 10 yrs to the 94 Toyota Supra. Ford didn't even bother looking into R&D.
Hell, they sported rear drum brakes on the Mustang for much too long. When was that changed? 1993? C'mon.
But I'd still own a 1993 GT convertible any day.

M.alex
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't know why people like hydraulic clutches. I hate the one in my z06; I love the one in my 03 cobra. Yes, it's stiff as hell and is a lot of work to use, but it's more manly and has a better feel to it.

I will gladly take cable-operated clutch over hydraulic any day of the week.

95teetee
05-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
I don't know why people like hydraulic clutches. I hate the one in my z06; I love the one in my 03 cobra. Yes, it's stiff as hell and is a lot of work to use, but it's more manly and has a better feel to it.

I will gladly take cable-operated clutch over hydraulic any day of the week. same here- I love the fact that the clutch in my Stealth takes some muscle to operate*- I hate those clutches that have no resistance whatsoever.

*I had a guy who has several old mopars complain that the clutch in my stealth was too hard to push:rofl:

J-hop
06-01-2012, 06:49 AM