PDA

View Full Version : Galapagos Islands

msommers
05-31-2012, 09:36 AM
My parents are booking a trip there and are receiving some conflicting information from the travel company with regards to how many days is aquedate to see the islands and if some islands are better to see than others. Thanks!

Babaganoosh
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=22&keywordid=236

Dig around there a bit for specifics but how much time you need and which islands are better is pretty subjective.

finboy
06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Definitely on my list of places to go, would you mind posting some update info of their opinion on the trip when they get back?

no_joke
06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Yes, very subjective. It depends on what types of animals they want to see. Some species are only found on certain islands and some are more likely to be seen. But rest assured, certain species are very prevalent and not shy about people. e.g. blue footed boobies, sealions, lizards, etc. Either land based or boat/yacht based tours. It really really depends. Take into consideration a few things like money, length of trip, which animals to see and islands to visit. If you want a magic number, I'd say at least a week on the islands especially if you have to travel all the way from YYC- but again it really depends. If interested, I can PM the contact info for the tour group I booked with. I booked directly online without a travel agency if it matters.

milesmcewing
06-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Been there.

We did our trip by staying on the islands and using the local boats to hop around.

I think it gives you a much better feel and the money you spend goes to the locals.

Most trips stay on private boats and you just go ashore for a look and then back to your boat. Easy way to do it, but no real culture, just viewing.

The islands are very similar, yet different - meaning you will see iguanas on every island they just have different colours.

Baltra was the most touristy and filled with t-shirts. felt like the cruise ship port that it is. We went to five other islands as well, all worth a look.

We spent ten days on the islands, seven would be adequate though. since a couple of days in Quito at either end will be good. If the tour company tries to sell them on Otavalo - don't bother, the market they sell you on is not anywhere worth the bus ride or the experience.

msommers
06-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! I'll pass the info on.