PDA

View Full Version : Copyright board to charge for music at weddings, parades

phreezee
06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
So the music industry wants to charge for playing music at events like weddings!
...or any events. Costs double if there is dancing!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/06/01/music-tariff-recorded-copyright-board.html?cmp=rss

So ridiculous, just like how the RIAA sued LimeWire for more money than exists in the entire world! $72 TRILLION in damages?!?!? The value they place is so arbitrary.

Money can't buy love — but if you want some great tunes playing at your wedding, it's going to cost you. The Copyright Board of Canada has certified new tariffs that apply to recorded music used at live events including conventions, karaoke bars, ice shows, fairs and, yes, weddings.

The fees will be collected by a not-for-profit called Re:Sound. The new tariffs apply to recorded music used at live events, including conventions, karaoke bars, weddings and parades with floats playing music. (Damian Dovarganes/Associated Press)

While the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (otherwise known as SOCAN) already collects money from many of these events for the songwriters, Re:Sound will represent the record labels and performers who contributed to the music.

"Recorded music is a vital part of the business model for many live events and, indeed, it is impossible to imagine a fashion show, festival, parade or karaoke bar without music," Re:Sound's director of licensing, Martin Gangnier, said in a statement.

It's up to organizers of public events or owners of wedding venues or bars to pay those royalties, so it may be up to the business to decide whether to pass that cost on — for instance, to those happy newlyweds.

"Essentially it's up the business that owes the royalty to decide exactly what their accounting will be, where it comes from," said Re:Sound director of communications Matthew Fortier in a telephone interview. The reporting process works on the honour system — it's up to the businesses to tell Re:Sound how much music they've used — though Fortier said his organization has a team of licensing professionals across Canada to ensure the rules are being followed. The fees vary depending on the size of the audience and the type of event.

For weddings, receptions, conventions, assemblies and fashion shows, the fee is $9.25 per day if fewer than 100 people are present and goes up to $39.33 for crowds of more than 500 people.

If there's dancing, the fees double. Karaoke bars will pay between $86.06 and $124 annually depending on how many days per week they permit the amateur crooning. And parades, meanwhile, will be charged $4.39 for each float with recorded music participating in the parade, subject to a minimum fee of $32.55 per day.

Spoons
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Whatever, record labels and the likes are just putting themselves out of business.

All this does is encourages me to pirate more music because of their silly cash grabs. Sad thing is I'm completely against iPods in the car (sound quality sucks. I have good speakers, I want good sound).

Now correct me if wrong, but artists don't really see much money from record sales. I always thought they made their money from touring and merchandise.

"and performers who contributed to the music"

Sounds like BS from record labels to make it sound like this isn't just for them but for the artists too.

OU812
06-01-2012, 11:16 AM
un fucking believable

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mar
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Have you ever noticed how any time you hear Happy Birthday at a restaurant it's always their own version of it? And you never hear the whole song in a movie? Warner Brothers owns the copyright on that and enforce it pretty strongly.

nzwasp
06-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I thought there already was a charge. At my wedding last year I had to pay this SOCAN fee (i think it was called socan) and it cost $150.

benyl
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Yup, we had to pay that fee back in 2008. This is nothing new.

know1edge
06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
How do they enforce this?

Spoons
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I thought there already was a charge. At my wedding last year I had to pay this SOCAN fee (i think it was called socan) and it cost $150.

Weird, SOCAN is usually for radio stations and the likes.

My questions is how the hell do they expect to enforce this? I mean most my family weddings have always been a family member with the laptop and some decent speakers hitting play hahahaha.

kenny
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
The existing SOCAN fee was collected for song writers. The new tariffs are being introduced because the labels and performers want $ now.

Its all honor system, hardly enforceable.

Inzane
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
So if I go out on my front lawn with a Karaoke machine and start singing to the neighborhood I have to pay a fee?

I doubt anyone would actually hear me because I suck so bad, they'd be gone in a flash. :nut:

speedog
06-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Actually this isn't new by any means - our community association has had a permit that they've paid for annually for a number of years now just so they remain on the up and up on the legal side of things and if I remember correctly, the permit covers anyone who rents our community hall. That said, if you elect to play recorded music at a rink or at any public facility, you could be in trouble and yes, this law does have people out there enforcing it. Of note, I don't believe our community association passes this fee on to it's renters - it's just another cost of doing business.

NuclearPizzaMan
06-01-2012, 03:25 PM
And they wonder why the general public has no sympathy for the music industry. Dance to our music? pay extra!

We need copyright reform, but not the way these bozos think. I don't see any reason why something like the Happy Birthday song can still by copyrighted. Smash the cartels, then we can talk business

J-hop
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM

kvg
06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
^ Agreed, I would hire a local band before I would pay them a cent.

broken_legs
06-03-2012, 10:54 PM
This is like reading an Ayn Rand novel.

This country is going to shit - This world is going to shit

Sugarphreak
06-04-2012, 10:31 AM

speedog
06-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
"If we do not support the artists with the iPods and zipDJ, iTunes, YouTube…if we don't do something now, we will not have music," said Yorke.

:facepalm: Yupp, dumb statement by Yorke. Everything will evolve - where there is a market that has a potential to make someone money, then someone will find a way to profit. Artists just aren't going to go extinct - they're going to have to evolve and that will mean that the current support structures (recording industry) will also have to evolve if it wishes to continue to profit from artists.

broken_legs
06-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Yupp, dumb statement by Yorke. Everything will evolve - where there is a market that has a potential to make someone money, then someone will find a way to profit. Artists just aren't going to go extinct - they're going to have to evolve and that will mean that the current support structures (recording industry) will also have to evolve if it wishes to continue to profit from artists.

In a free society this would happen, but in our society it won't.

As evidenced by above, corporations will legislate into law to restrict your freedoms to maintain their profits.

After all, its the corporations that give you jobs and look out for your best interests right?

speedog
06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
K, this was discussed on QR77 yesterday and I've done more reading on this new legislation and certainly I can agree that things are being taken a bit too far. Weddings, karaoke and parades are a few of the types of activities which will now have to pay an additional fee to play recorded music if they're being held in a commercial venue (hall, bar, pub, etc) - not sure how this applies to parades.

And it gets better, you'll have to pay more if people are dancing to the music that's being played - utter BS IMHO. Read more on this crap at this link (http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1203953--weddings-parades-festivals-get-hit-with-new-royalty-fees-for-using-music#article). One wonders how this is going to affect schools and churches as any of the music they're playing in performances would most likely be copyrighted - dance recitals, piano recitals, the costs could climb.

Khyron
06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Hrm, so what about if I'm just swaying to the music? Does that count?

Also, I'm white, ergo cannot dance, thus exempt from dance fees?