PDA

View Full Version : Stuxnet was a US + Israel operation, whitehouse confirms

googe
06-01-2012, 02:35 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html?_r=1&hp&pagewanted=all

kaput
06-01-2012, 03:34 PM

googe
06-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Depends. China has been hacking the US (and Canada) for about 10 years now. The only real difference is that it didn't result in physical destruction - they're just leaving backdoors and stealing information. They also don't flat out admit it. It kind of surprised me that the US did that part. But, it's re-election season I guess.

It's also weird how the article is titled. "Obama order sped up wave of cyber-attacks". But, it was a Bush program, already in place, so that amounts to a "keep doing what you're doing" but tries to take credit for it. You can be certain that this info was intentionally leaked purely for political reasons, much like the detailed account of the Osama raid.

m10-power
06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by kaput
If any other country did this to the US, they would probably consider it a declaration of war. I don't see how this should be perceived any differently :dunno:

Giver, declare war on them see what happens.

ZenOps
06-02-2012, 05:19 PM
All is fair in sabotage, just ask Rob Anders.

If you are going to produce nuclear fuel for power plants or bombs, its important to have enough security to handle it.

broken_legs
06-03-2012, 10:51 PM
This is all propaganda released ahead of the presidential elections.

black13
06-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Well better this than another all out war but cyber attacks are gonna get very scary very soon.

Xtrema
06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
So now we can sue US government for productivity lost?

So many engineering firms in Calgary got infected with Stuxnet which they eventually brought into many SCADA deployments.

revelations
06-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
So now we can sue US government for productivity lost?

So many engineering firms in Calgary got infected with Stuxnet which they eventually brought into many SCADA deployments.

They might have gotten infected, but there should have been no downtime as a result of equipment failure as the virus was designed for extremely specific environments.

googe
06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by revelations

They might have gotten infected, but there should have been no downtime as a result of equipment failure as the virus was designed for extremely specific environments.

Yes and no. The infection would have in theory been benign, but it would be irresponsible to leave systems infected with any malware, dormant or not. Especially when it leaves a backdoor via a command/control channel, which could also be compromised. Either way they have to pay someone to clean it and reboots would have been required (since it installs kernel drivers).

revelations
06-04-2012, 11:21 PM
^ true

I wonder if this was a blessing in disguise for the rest of the world to wake up and see the vulnerability of other control systems out there.