PDA

View Full Version : DVD-A and DTS CD's?

rage2
06-03-2012, 06:27 PM
So I was going through my books for my car, and it comes with some demo DTS CD with a few songs and some sound effects. Pretty neat, songs in 5.1 in the car. I was able to find a copy of Metallica The Black Album in DVD-A, wow, it sounds so nice in the car.

Tried hunting for more, but they're nowhere to be found, as they're all mostly out of print. There's some great classic albums in either format, but can't find 'em anywhere. Most people just copy them because they're so rare.

So with that being said, anyone have a good collection?

Neil4Speed
06-03-2012, 07:36 PM
There was a point there where I was pretty interested in the format but I got a bit fed up with the lack of availability out there and of course, the cost. Some of my favorite albums were $60 plus.

I have Fleetwood Mac - Say You Will (DVD-A), and Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms (SACD), both sound sublime.

At a point I started downloading most of them where I could from websites. They are encoded as DTS CD's and sound good as well.

I have GEnesis - We Can't Dance
Peter Gabriel - The Tree
Oasis - Whats the Story Morning Glory
Aerosmith - O'Yeah, best of
Genesis - Invisible Touch
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
Elton John - Captain Fantastic
Billy Joel - 52nd Street (Really enjoy this one, his vocals are absolutely searing)
The Police - Every Breath You take (Greatest Hits)
Elton John - Honky Chateau

Some are DTS-MA, which I don't have support for on my receiver, but still good to have for the day I upgrade.

There is lots of good Elton John out there in SACD, however, I find that most of his albums have 3-4 amazing legendary songs, and the rest to be rather annoying.

The Two that I really want are Fleetwood mac Rumours and Hotel California, but at $50 a pop, I think I will just settle for it at CD Quality.

rage2
06-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Metallica has their Black Album in DVD-A for sale on their website. They did a recent print, that's how I got my copy.

I'm going to try experimenting with ripping the DTS tracks off some of my DVD concerts and seeing if I can pack them into a DTS CD for the car.

megavolt
06-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I've got:
Metallica - Black
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
REM - Automatic for the People
REM - The Best of
Tom Cochrane and Red Rider - Best of
Moist - Machine Punch Through

The only one I seem to go back to listen to anymore is Rumors.

There's free software that can play it through HDMI to my stereo. Can even rip to FLAC.