PDA

View Full Version : 2011 speed-on-green/red-light donations

speedog
06-04-2012, 06:58 AM
2011 speed-on-green/red-light donations were at a record $40.2 million - did you contribute last year? Best (worst?) location - eastbound 16th Avenue at 10th Street NW.. Story here (http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/04/cops-snap-up-40m).

My donation last year - zero, same for my wife and 18 year old son but 20 year old son got nabbed once at the infamous 16th and 10th location.

Yeah, I can assume that this thread will degrade into the usual 'don't need them' or 'keep them (let violators pay) scenario', but really all I want to see is how many will just admit their picture was taken and sent to them in the mail.

Stats only please folks - 0, 1, 5, 6? How many?

Euro_Trash
06-04-2012, 07:05 AM
0 for me

Kijho
06-04-2012, 07:07 AM
0 here BUT if those minivans parked behind the bridge down country hills count.. 70 in the 60 :(

speedog
06-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Kijho
0 here BUT if those minivans parked behind the bridge down country hills count.. 70 in the 60 :( Nope, manned camera cops are a different deal - they don't count in here.

dirtsniffer
06-04-2012, 07:14 AM
0. maybe a poll is a go0d idea

speedog
06-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
0. maybe a poll is a go0d idea Yeah, poll would've probably been the best way to go, but it was early in the AM before coffee and some ppl still would've answered a two answer poll incorrectly.

eblend
06-04-2012, 07:22 AM
0. Always slow down at known intersections...?

Sugarphreak
06-04-2012, 07:37 AM

wardpr68
06-04-2012, 07:39 AM
ZERO.... in my life! While I think the whole concept of these is stupid, as recieving a ticket in the mail 3 weeks after you were speeding will not correct the behavior at the time it is happening, it does seem that these things tend to catch the worst drivers.

Perhaps we can bury them all in ticket debt so they have to sell their car and then get off the damn road.

EDIT: it's especially easy to not get caught when you have it programmed into your GPS to warn you.

Modelexis
06-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by speedog
2011 speed-on-green/red-light donations were at a record $40.2 million

You read the article wrong, this is not what it says.

fines and penalties surpassed the $40-million mark, with photos of back-bumper licence plates helping to push the grand total to $40.2 million.

The 40m is a total for ALL traffic fines and penalties, photo radar is just a small portion of that.

Also, Michael Platt is a fucking brainless idiot.

kvg
06-04-2012, 08:00 AM
1. Got my first a month ago on Elbow. I didn't get a ticket for almost ten years then got one for an illegal left on a side street:nut:, then that. I'm just waiting for another lame ticket like window tint.

speedog
06-04-2012, 08:01 AM
No problem, Modelexis, but ppl can still answer, eh.

FraserB
06-04-2012, 08:10 AM
0, but I did contribute to to $40 million with a 23 over ticket.

Feruk
06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
0. Got flashed twice and thought I had a ticket, but nothing came in the mail.

Originally posted by eblend
Seen people do this many times and almost cause a rear end accident. These cameras are such a stupid idea.

SOAB
06-04-2012, 09:22 AM
i got dinged once this year at Beddington Trail and Country Hills Blvd.

almost a decade of ticket free driving and i get a stupid one like that. how in the world a 6 lane freeway overpass is a 60kph limit is beyond me. :dunno:

Xtrema
06-04-2012, 10:10 AM
1, Northmount/14th. I was trying to avoid something and sped up and slow back down but too late. Caught with 15 over.

Mibz
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
NB MacLeod and 162nd, 103 in an 80.

Was rushing to a work emergency in the middle of Thanksgiving at the in-laws :P

Spoons
06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by SOAB

almost a decade of ticket free driving and i get a stupid one like that. how in the world a 6 lane freeway overpass is a 60kph limit is beyond me. :dunno:

That whole road should be 80. It's shit like this that piss me off. You have a 6 lane freeway (as you said), divided. Even when it goes down to 4 lanes, still divided. You have highway fences on both sides, and one set of lights (that would be solved with a red light indicator). The only place it should be 60 is after Stoney Trail around the shopping area and Kincora.

That road should be 80 the entire way. Every single person goes 80 the entire way west bound. They only slow down to 60 for that camera, then its 80 again (legally) after that.

dexlargo
06-04-2012, 10:32 AM
1 for me - Center St. N/B at Northmount, I forget what my speed was.

1 for my wife - Beddington Tr. S/B at Country Hills.

supe
06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
0 - I make a pretty conscious effort not to speed but when I do its only on familiar roads.

speedog
06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by dexlargo
1 for me - Center St. N/B at Northmount, I forget what my speed was. Is this a new one? Not even listed on the CPS site (http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections-traffic.html).

CapnCrunch
06-04-2012, 10:40 AM
1 last year, 3 so far.

1 on 16th going east at COP.

1 on beddington going east at country hills.

1 on crowchild heading nw at 24th.

:banghead:

GOnSHO
06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
0! :bigpimp:

make a conscience effort to keep my speed down around those lights..

did get hit by a van THIS year, the day i moved into my new house (11pm..) on memorial..

know1edge
06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I got hit @ Centre St & 20th
3am wasn't thinking :(

JfuckinC
06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
i got a speed on green lol...

24th and crowchild!

Mar
06-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by eblend
You slow down going through green lights? Why? This is very dangerous.

I've got zero, I only drive at 10 over the limit and they must be set up higher than that. I go through every intersection at 10 over the limit.

austic
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mar

You slow down going through green lights? Why? This is very dangerous.

I've got zero, I only drive at 10 over the limit and they must be set up higher than that. I go through every intersection at 10 over the limit.
I slow down on greesn with cameras too as I am sure most people do. why? dont want a ticket...

nismodrifter
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Had 1 ticket (Speed on green).

Requested a court date because thats what I always do (first time for a photo ticket but figured I've got nothing to lose).
Got court date in early January of this year. Judge called my name, I stood up......and all he said is "Mr nismodrifter, the charges have been dismissed".

In and out in 10 mins.

Left that place LOL'ing hard.

rage2
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Last year 0. Lifetime, 1. Lent my car out to an out of towner for a day haha.

I did get a speeding ticket (non photo radar) last year though. Airport Trail at Barlow Trail, I usually take westbound leaving the airport, and that whole section is 90km/h. Going to the airport, I'm usually on country hills so I never take Airport Trail. The one time I drive my boss from downtown to the airport, I use Airport Trail Eastbound towards barlow, that section slows from 90 to 60 for some reason while opposing traffic still goes 90. Not even a construction zone, it's a permanent slowdown. Of course I get a ticket going 90 in a 60 zone.

That's my first ticket in 15 years? And it's not because I was speeding, it was because I missed a 60 speed sign that's smaller than the 90 lol. Total revenue generator.

90 sign westbound:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/90.png

60 sign eastbound, well off to the side of the road:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/60.png

codetrap
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
12 Years. No speeding tickets. No tickets of any type.

I pay enough in taxes already. Don't really feel the need to pay the *I'm Stupid* taxes as well.

phreezee
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
0, but my GPS has the POIs loaded.

schocker
06-04-2012, 03:06 PM
0 this year, improved from 1 last year. I have almost forgotten about the beddington one a few times though. That one is completely stupid.

Go4Long
06-04-2012, 03:10 PM
no photos of my cars or bike in the mail last year. actually never gotten a red light or speed on green ticket.

Graham_A_M
06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
2 for me. southbound on Blackfoot at 42nd ave.

Both happened while looking after my bro's apartment when he was gone. THAT was a costly weekend. Fuck sakes... got one in the mail a few days later, then the other one.
:banghead:

dexlargo
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Is this a new one? Not even listed on the CPS site (http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections-traffic.html). No, that's my mistake. For some reason I wrote Center Street when I meant to write 14th Street - so for clarity: 14th Street N/B at Northmount drive.

And looking at the link, I didn't realize they had cameras on both North and Southbound at that intersection. I'll have to remember that.

HyperZell
06-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
No, that's my mistake. For some reason I wrote Center Street when I meant to write 14th Street - so for clarity: 14th Street N/B at Northmount drive.

And looking at the link, I didn't realize they had cameras on both North and Southbound at that intersection. I'll have to remember that.

I remember a story awhile back where there was photo radar set up immediately after that intersection. A woman got nailed by the green light camera and then nailed again 2 seconds later by the photo radar. She went to CBC or something with it; not sure what happened to the tickets.

Spoons
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

I remember a story awhile back where there was photo radar set up immediately after that intersection. A woman got nailed by the green light camera and then nailed again 2 seconds later by the photo radar. She went to CBC or something with it; not sure what happened to the tickets.

It's happened to me. They threw out the second ticket. It's absolute horse shit.

Twenty
06-04-2012, 06:08 PM

Thaco
06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
my wife got one at the most popular one at 16th ave in the NW, that one is just a cash grab, drops from 60 to 50 for one block where the camera is.

Maxt
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
I said it before, I will say it again, if they gave the money back to the public in the form of a safe driving dividend, I would actually believe its about safety.
And please, no replies that it lowers property taxes, because it doesn't, this is literally "fun money" for government to piss away. Your taxes would have gone up the same amount if the city would have collected 80 or 120 million via fine revenues.

speedog
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
my wife got one at the most popular one at 16th ave in the NW, that one is just a cash grab, drops from 60 to 50 for one block where the camera is. Actually, it remains 50 all the way to 6th Street NE past Coop and the 50 zone starts almost 4 blocks west of this camera just after 14th Street NW..

Mar
06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by austic

I slow down on greesn with cameras too as I am sure most people do. why? dont want a ticket... Are you doing 20 over and slow down to 10 over or are you doing the limit and slow down to 10 under? I see the latter all the time.

barmanjay
06-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

I got one there too just a week ago.....

Damnit,.. I though country hills right there is 70,.. and beddington is 80.

So guess it only makes perfect sense to have the over pass 60?

I guess I didn't see the sign that says 60 after I got off country hills and turned onto beddington,.. oh wait,.... there isn't a sign that says 60 after you turn....

:facepalm:

I should know better anyways :(

I also got a ticket at the infamous 10th and 16th,.. I'm contesting. there are 4 vehicles in the direction of travel in the picture, 2 in the intersection side by side and i get the ticket?

I know there is a camera there so I'm careful on my speed.

Does CPS issue 2+ tickets when there are multiple vehicles in a picture? Or do they just make a guess?

Mibz
06-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
Does CPS issue 2+ tickets when there are multiple vehicles in a picture? Or do they just make a guess? The sensors know who's speeding in which lane. If there are 3 cars in the picture, 2 of which are speeding, the speeders will get tickets and the slowpoke won't.

barmanjay
06-04-2012, 11:10 PM
How on earth can it tell who would be speeding if there are multiple vehicles in the intersection, please elaborate?
Are there 3 laser sensors/pointers (one on each lane?)

In theory, what if one was passing the other right in the middle of the intersection? Is one guilty by association? wrong place at the wrong time?

I was NOT speeding and I still got a ticket.

I will upload the picture (it's on my work bill board so I don't forget the court date)

you will see the 2 cars virtually side by side (the other vehicles rear bumper is just inches ahead of me)

This ticket made me really quite upset.

revelations
06-04-2012, 11:12 PM
How on earth can it tell who would be speeding if there are multiple vehicles in the intersection, please elaborate?

Originally posted by Mibz
The sensors know who's speeding in which lane. If there are 3 cars in the picture, 2 of which are speeding, the speeders will get tickets and the slowpoke won't.

The people reading the plates do make mistakes sometimes.

0 tickets for me - so far - and I drive through sometimes 12 cameras a day. POI on GPS = win (that and just looking for a large camera).

I know that most (if not all) of the photoradar and SOG thresholds are set to +11kph so I dont "slam" on the brakes, rather I slow down to +5.

barmanjay
06-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by revelations

The people reading the plates do make mistakes sometimes.

Ok, ok

So an officer reviews all the pictures from the camera box and if there are multiple vehicles, he/she just picks one?

I don't think thats a good way to issue tickets.

I get what you are saying,.. people make mistakes.
I sure hope this was that and not a case of lazy practice.

Anyways,.. my court date is set for Jan 2013

revelations
06-04-2012, 11:55 PM
read what Mbiz wrote, he explained how the detection process works.

But in technical terms, there are 6 series of induction loops (2 for each of the 3 lanes) which tell the camera system what the speeds of the vehicles passing over it are. The distance between the loops is know so the measured time it takes to activate a sensor in each provides your speed.

When the light is red, any measured speed over (I believe over 15kph) will activate the camera as well.

CapnCrunch
06-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Are there 3 laser sensors/pointers

If there is one thing top gun has taught me, it's that radar can pick up multiple targets travelling at different speeds.

AndyL
06-05-2012, 07:30 AM
it also works off induction loops in the pavement - so it gets a double check on speed, and tells it which lane crosses in relation to the light timing.

My wife made 7 donations, all at 16th & COP, All at 6am on her way to work for that 2 week period... Quick visit to court - and paid for one, rest were dropped. "If you'd pulled me over, I'd have known, mailing me a ticket 2 weeks later is bullshit".

wardpr68
06-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Are there 3 laser sensors/pointers (one on each lane?)

Each lane has its own sensors basically. Look on the photo, it will say which lane you are in. If that lane matches with which lane your car is in, you are caught.

You may not understand the lane labelling though, so don't get too excited if you think they screwed up. Just post the picture.

Mibz
06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
barmanjay, sorry, I could have been more clear. As others have mentioned, there are 2 loops in each lane, one at each end, and I imagine it does a pretty basic speed/distance calculation. If three people go through the intersection at three different speeds, it knows exactly which car went which speed.

It's been theorized that you could beat the camera by changing lanes mid-intersection but I don't think anybody has the balls to try it, haha.

wardpr68
06-05-2012, 08:59 AM
The sensors are not at each end of the intersection. They are in very close proximity to each other... I won't say I know exactly how far apart, but I do know its nearly impossible to do that lane change in time. MAYBE if you were on a motorcycle.

-relk-
06-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Does anyone know where the sensors are usually located? Are they before or after where the crosswalk usually will be?

What if you were driving inbetween 2 lanes with a bike? That would probably miss the sensors?

schocker
06-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by -relk-
Does anyone know where the sensors are usually located? Are they before or after where the crosswalk usually will be?

What if you were driving inbetween 2 lanes with a bike? That would probably miss the sensors?
You can see them in the pavement. Should always be before the crosswalk. kind of in a longisih octagonal shape. I thought bikes do not produce enough of a current though which is why they don't often work with vehicle sensing loops for lights, I may be mistaken though.

Now is there any way to disrupt these induction loops with say magnets or electrical pulses :devil:

frizzlefry
06-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I have heard of a guy who uses a TrickPlate (http://jalopnik.com/trick-plate/) to ensure he does not get a ticket. Pretty ballsy if you ask me. Guess he does not trust the system :devil: POIs on my GPS works for me.