PDA

View Full Version : Record Players

JfuckinC
06-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Did a search, not much showed up.

Does anyone know where i can buy a Record player? i'm going to start collecting vinyls for bands i like.. Dunno why, but just cause i feel like it would be a cool thing to have..

I checked Kijiji not much showed up either. Kinda looking for something maybe more modern that will sound good. obviously at 24 i have no idea what im looking for lol

Thanks!:dunno:

DENZILDON
06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Vinyls? So you mean turntables....

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/f-turntables-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-W0QQCatIdZ17QQKeywordZturntables

Most are complete DJ setups if your looking in Kijiji. You can get separate brand new one on long and mcquade or axe.

sputnik
06-04-2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.decurate.com/products/1049

https://decurate.s3.amazonaws.com/med_10f02ca26430d2bf7530c34b78444c24..jpg

CSMRX7
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Go to General Audio and pick up a Rega RP1

Great bang for buck, and probably the easiest turntable to set up.

Turntables can be a bitch to setup and tune, but the Rega comes ready to go out of the box, and doesn't really require any isolation or vibration dampening to sound great.

Also if you amp doesn't have a phono input you will need a phono stage. I have a brand new Rega Phono stage if you are interested too.

msommers
06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Audio snob eh? Well to the club!

colinderksen
06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
You can buy reasonable record players at future shop. I think they have 2 cheaper ones: $100 and $150 I think.

flipstah
06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
There was a ton at Cash Converters but finding a needle for a used one is the hardest part.

I'd check Kijiji or thrift stores for some; look for Technics if you can get one.

Mine is a vintage Motorola that my dad and I refinished and that's about it. Needle is still intact and it sounds FANTASTIC.

Welcome to the audophiles. :thumbsup:

r3ccOs
06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
if you have clean, new old stock and true (like physically flat) albums that were pressed from analog from reel to reel... maybe, if you have a "good" stereo that it may be worth looking into going back to vinyl

Problem is, kids these days think that its "hip" or a hipster fad to buy and listen to vinyl and claim the sound is better than that the digial scene (and the piracy) is killing the music industry
pretending to be an audiophile and being one is very different

misconceptions...
most vinyl bought, white pressed or anything recent was pressed from a digitally produced track... so you're not gaining any more fidelity as that just doesn't exist anymore

then comes the gear... most kids will find some sort of $100 new bs kit marketed just for them or find some 80's old direct drive turntable, and think "wow" this sounds good

well... most people don't know how to properly setup a tone-arm, know that things even like belts matter (if not direct drive) and or can tell whether the motor introduces noise. So most people won't know what to buy

don't get me wrong... but when people think buying a tech 1200, with a concord or ortophone cartridge with a matchstick thick stylus for $800 bucks, that they are buying the best in sound... is absoutely mistaken

so most kids buy either garbage, or gear made for Pro Audio or DJing

(I'm a huge fan of turntablism... but for the art, not to use as a medium)

so... I'd say the majority of the fans of this "revolution" are buying inferior equipment to play a medium that was pressed from a digital source....

and that the majority would be better off listening to FLAC from a good digital player (like a squeezebox) (or lossless from a IPOD... :P)

otherwise I also agree... the Rega P3 and P5 are my favorite tt's... Musical fidelity makes a great phono stage, and I prefer grado cartridges and I still have a vintage forged aluminum STAX tonearm that I prefer to use

I would love a clearaudio... just cause they're so fricken beautiful

http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/images/Clearaudio/CAstatemntwtext.jpg

Kardon
06-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Futureshop sells a denon one that seems to work well.

RY213
06-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Inner Sleeve in Marda Loop...

Moonracer
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Found a couple of decent ones, the Rega in particular

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Vintage-Rega-Planar-2-Turntable-W0QQAdIdZ384532149

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Dual-506-turntable-with-new-belt-and-Shure-cartridge-W0QQAdIdZ367299340

JfuckinC
01-17-2014, 01:49 PM
I just wanted to bump this as i finally started collecting because Alexisonfire released a limited run vinyl box set. I'm not trying to be hip or something i just want something that will be fun to collect and remember what i listened to.

Would the Rega RP1 still be my best bet? I found it on amazon for around $450 is that standard pricing?

Thanks.

FixedGear
01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
I'm not trying to be hip or something i just want something that will be fun to collect and remember what i listened to.

don't worry about it man, just do what you want and ignore the snobbish vomit in this thread. :thumbsup:

JfuckinC
01-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

don't worry about it man, just do what you want and ignore the snobbish vomit in this thread. :thumbsup:

haha thanks man :love:

there is some good replies in here at least!

speedog
01-17-2014, 03:06 PM
So my 70/80's vinyl is worth keeping around?

firebane
01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
I just wanted to bump this as i finally started collecting because Alexisonfire released a limited run vinyl box set. I'm not trying to be hip or something i just want something that will be fun to collect and remember what i listened to.

Would the Rega RP1 still be my best bet? I found it on amazon for around $450 is that standard pricing?

Thanks.

Music is about what YOU enjoy not what everyone else says is good.

With that said I'd say unless you are really looking to spend some money on a table why not just buy something cheaper.

Don't get me wrong if I could afford an expensive table I would but the Onkyo I have now works very good.

firebane
01-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by speedog
So my 70/80's vinyl is worth keeping around?

Absolutely. Records have made a huge resurgence in the last few years and unfortunately you will be paying a decent price for a table to use unless you shop wisely.

You also need to take into account that any table you buy you will need to purchase a preamp so a modern receiver can play.

speedog
01-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Absolutely. Records have made a huge resurgence in the last few years and unfortunately you will be paying a decent price for a table to use unless you shop wisely.

You also need to take into account that any table you buy you will need to purchase a preamp so a modern receiver can play. Got these two below (Heart and Split Enz) - too pretty to play...
http://www.picture-disc.co.uk/WebRoot/BT3/Shops/BT2680/4BD2/9972/D51D/DB4E/A6F8/0A0A/33E9/DE70/lp_-_heart_-_magazine.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8-jVOHQLRF0/0.jpg

sputnik
01-17-2014, 03:32 PM
I noticed that London Drugs is selling German made Dual record players.

I have one from the 70s and it still works awesome. Not sure what the quality is like for them these days but its worth a shot.

http://www.londondrugs.com/Dual-Automatic-Turntable---Black---CS4152/L5493853,default,pd.html?cgid=electronics-speakershomeaudio-turntables

CSMRX7
01-17-2014, 03:35 PM

Thanks.

That is pretty standard. Should be able to get a similar price local.

firebane
01-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Got these two below (Heart and Split Enz) - too pretty to play...
http://www.picture-disc.co.uk/WebRoot/BT3/Shops/BT2680/4BD2/9972/D51D/DB4E/A6F8/0A0A/33E9/DE70/lp_-_heart_-_magazine.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8-jVOHQLRF0/0.jpg

Splitz Enz? Wow nice! Most people wouldn't even have a clue who they are.

Unknown303
01-17-2014, 03:39 PM
I have a good 100+ vinyl from the 70s to 90s. There's something about flipping through albums and all the time it takes to setup that is very therapeutic.

sxtasy
01-17-2014, 05:29 PM
^^Yes, the sound is great, artwork is fun and kinda forces you to listen to the whole album instead of shuffling between single tracks from different artists. I have been working on my collection for the last five years. The sound of the needle dropping is therapeutic

JfuckinC
01-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Fuck i have been reading about turntables all afternoon. This shit is serious lol.

I think i will start with a cheapy, and do some research and learn some more before i move onto something worth while...

Neil4Speed
01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
I've had a lot of fun with the hobby since I started a few months back. Its addictive and Vinyl can be very expensive. Once you get your rig I would encourage you to have a set list of must haves and try to stick to it as much as possible.

There is Melodiya Records on 17th which has a great selection and an decent selection of $1 records (but be prepared to sit on the floor).

The Rega is a good unit, but I like the charm associated with an old turntable. Many sound fantastic and a huge component of how they sound is the cartridge. Good thing though is that there are fantastic bang for buck cartridges around $100 (Ortofon 2M Red , some Shures, and Audio Technicas)

I highly encourage the hobby for everyone. It really allows you to enjoy music and albums as stories. The sound is very warm and non-fatiguing. Its an investment that hasn't cost me allot of money but has brought me a huge amount of enjoyment.

JfuckinC
01-17-2014, 06:05 PM
What are good websites to find vinyl?!

firebane
01-17-2014, 06:47 PM
What are good websites to find vinyl?!

Don't bother with websites. Calgary has 3 VERY good record stores.

Recordland in Inglewood
Heritage on 10th
Melodyia on 17th

There are a couple of others like one in Kensington but their selection is small and there is another on 17th but I forget the name down near 12th that is apparently good as well.

In records to the table yes it can be VERY overwhelming with all the options out there but I say invest in something older and spend $100-200 on it and you'll be plenty happy.

Older Onkyo, Pioneer or Technics etc are good brands.

The big thing about buying a vintage turnable is make sure you get one that can easily have the head and catridge swapped or replaced.

FixedGear
01-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
There is Melodiya Records on 17th which has a great selection and an decent selection of $1 records (but be prepared to sit on the floor).

they do have some used stuff at Meloydia -- Loverboy, Hall and Oates, etc. :rofl:

Recordland FTW :thumbsup:

firebane
01-17-2014, 07:11 PM
There are a few other places to get stuff too.. But I'm not going to give up MY secrets ;)

Neil4Speed
01-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

they do have some used stuff at Meloydia -- Loverboy, Hall and Oates, etc. :rofl:

Recordland FTW :thumbsup:

Lol, Loverboy is Canadian, and who doesn't love working for the weekend?

I found actually a handful of good one there, of course, everyone's music taste is different so YMMV.

Originally posted by firebane

Older Onkyo, Pioneer or Technics etc are good brands.

As are Denons, Sonys, Dual, Sansui, JVC, Realistic, Marantz, Akai, NAD... But all brands made a handful of poor turntables and great turntables, so its important to do a quick google search before buying.

firebane
01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Lol, Loverboy is Canadian, and who doesn't love working for the weekend?

I found actually a handful of good one there, of course, everyone's music taste is different so YMMV.

I have a Red Rider album :P

Street_Soldier
01-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Check out Lukes Drug Store in Bridgeland.

Its a drug store/grocery store/hardware store/Canada post/record store/coffee shop all in one. They have lots of record and audiophile gear.

FixedGear
01-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Melodydia does have a great new selection though

JfuckinC
01-18-2014, 12:09 AM
hows a technics quartz direct drive turntable sl-q2?

we had one in the basement so i hooked it up to a newer sony amp that has phono haha... play my first vinyl :D

Alexisonfire - Watch out

JfuckinC
01-18-2014, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
The sound of the needle dropping is therapeutic

lol its a new experience for me. i love it.

FixedGear
01-18-2014, 12:27 AM
That technics you have wasn't a top end model, but it's very well built, metal and heavy, and will serve you well. If it is sounding good I would just play your records and not worry about it. I have a sl-1400mk2 which is similar and it's a tank. Replaced a cartridge and that's about it

big A
01-18-2014, 10:51 AM
When my 96 YO Grandma moved out of her place about two weeks ago, she said I could have her record player. It is in mint condition. Among twenty or thirty Wilf Carter records there was a Les Paul 45:poosie:

big A
01-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Sorry double post

speedog
01-18-2014, 10:54 AM
The Kinks "Give the people what they want" on the turntable right now - from 1981.

33 year old vinyl - hell, that's probably older then most of Beyond's members.

firebane
01-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by big A
When my 96 YO Grandma moved out of her place about two weeks ago, she said I could have her record player. It is in mint condition. Among twenty or thirty Wilf Carter records there was a Les Paul 45:poosie:

While most of that cabinet units are nice the tables in them were never anything special. I got my self a free unit like that once and realized how limited they were and got rid of it and spent some money on something of quality for better sound and replacibility.

The Kinks "Give the people what they want" on the turntable right now - from 1981.

33 year old vinyl - hell, that's probably older then most of Beyond's members.

Perhaps some but not this one :P

You guys are making me itching to hook up my table this week. Need to buy a good rca cable that will be long enough.

Neil4Speed
01-18-2014, 12:04 PM
hows a technics quartz direct drive turntable sl-q2?

It will do you for now dependent on the cartridge condition and setup. Its a great starter record player.