PDA

View Full Version : the impossible Z dream..

canadian booster
06-05-2012, 01:24 PM
to make a long story short, i had a Fairlady, had to sell, but i'm trying to get another one and 90% of them are autotragics transmissions :P

sure i want another 2+2 TT with manual and compression 140+ but it's damn impossible to find, and i'm looking all our part of the world on kijiji, autotrader and craigslist *sigh*

i may end up importing and grabbing it from vancouver since the ones here don't meet my needs list.

anyone else got a Z? where did you buy it from?

J-hop
06-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Have you considered buying an auto and swapping in a MT? Jdm source has pretty cheap VG30DETTs w/transmissions. You could swap in the MT and sell the spare VG so it wouldn't cost you too much. Just a thought?

I seriously considered a similar thing, I was looking at getting a USDM z32 NA 2+2 and swapping in a full TT drive train as I really wanted a 2+2 for the 'functionality'. Some how I ended up buying an even smaller 2 seater car, go figure haha.

canadian booster
06-06-2012, 08:31 AM
if i still had a house with a garage i would for sure, but now i'm in an apartment :( pretty hard to do a TT swap without landlord noticing and i need the 2+2 so my 3y old son has somewhere to sit :thumbsup: he keeps asking where my fast car is, getting him hooked on boost before he knows what it even is

disclaimer: yes he's 3, yes he's secure in there, no i don't drive like a jackass

i have found a TT that matches my requirements in the eastern USA, looks like i might have to fly out and drive back if it's a good'er. it's over 2000km away, but what can ya do, i <3 z32s :)

edit: what did you end up buying?

That.Guy.S30
06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
^ he bought an S30.

you should hop on the calgary Z car club, there a few members with Z32s for sale.

J-hop
06-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Yes I ended up with an S30. Like your son my dad used to take me for cruises in his fast car (a restored s30), I still remember to this day being so short I couldn't see out the windshield all I could see was "Datsun 240z" written across the glove box but it was enough just to sit and listen to the rumble of the L24.

Sounds weird but you could line up any exotic car beside a showroom fresh 240z and I'd pick the 240z every time. I always disregarded them in my search for a project car but as I was looking for a good z32 tt a mint rolling chassis 240z popped up and I just couldn't help myself haha

GL with your search, understandable about the workspace issue, I know for me the only reason I could get a project car was having the space to work, gf wanted to go for a condo but I convinced her otherwise when a rental with a two car garage showed up online!