PDA

View Full Version : Driver opens door on motorcycle

trev0006
06-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Driver opens door on motorcycle (http://www.dpccars.com/motorcycle-12/06-01-12page-Driver-opens-door-on-motorcycleh.htm)

Driver opens door on motorcycle while splitting lanes.

HomespunLobster
06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I was expecting a bit more excitement and flips out of that video.

But still, I don't see why people think this is going to help?

I'm assuimg lane splitting is illegal where they are, but gives them no right to push open their door at the last minute to cause an accident.

speedog
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
ds4bRTZfS3g

speedog
06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
And what can happen even where it is legal to split lanes - just a risky maneuver...

_GH8D2EqDZs

Boat
06-06-2012, 02:59 PM
The cabbie's trunk is ajar. Maybe he was getting something from the back.

skandalouz_08
06-06-2012, 09:51 PM
This is why lane splitting is so dangerous. If drivers realized that motorcycles lane splitting frees up traffic flow instead of being so selfish.

v2kai
06-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Boat
The cabbie's trunk is ajar. Maybe he was getting something from the back.

Damn, nice CSI skills. Didnt see that at first.

Stealth22
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
Damn, nice CSI skills. Didnt see that at first. +1...although he could have opened it to cover his own ass later. :rofl:

Cop - "So WHY did you open your door while driving in traffic?"

Cabbie - "Ermmm...."

Mar
06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by skandalouz_08
This is why lane splitting is so dangerous. If drivers realized that motorcycles lane splitting frees up traffic flow instead of being so selfish.
How does it free up traffic?

Hallowed_point
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Mar

How does it free up traffic?

The bikes flow through the center of the lanes rather then idling in front of you like a car at a stop in traffic

DeeK
06-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

The bikes flow through the center of the lanes rather then idling in front of you like a car at a stop in traffic

That's like saying tailgaiting is more efficient and safe because more cars can use the road. When in fact tailgating is one of the leading causes for traffic jams.

For example, two lanes condense into one. If each driver has to hit the brakes to allow a car to move over, and we know that when drivers hit the brakes its the ripple effect for everything behind them. Well, you see what I'm getting at.

A790
06-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by skandalouz_08
Ummm.... no.

Lane splitting is dangerous and inconsiderate. End of story.

I assume you're fine with riders using the shoulders of Deerfoot as well?

bmeier
06-07-2012, 02:20 PM
lane splitting is awesome. the bikes filter to the front and are out of the way of traffic then.

it seems to work just fine in California where it is legal, though the people who do it while traffic is moving have a death wish.

samh54
06-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Splitting is aloud in the UK and Europe.

They need better driving instruction here so people are used the motorcyclists sharing the road, and better riding instruction do riders do so safely.

Hallowed_point
06-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

That's like saying tailgaiting is more efficient and safe because more cars can use the road. When in fact tailgating is one of the leading causes for traffic jams.

For example, two lanes condense into one. If each driver has to hit the brakes to allow a car to move over, and we know that when drivers hit the brakes its the ripple effect for everything behind them. Well, you see what I'm getting at.

Whoa, Mar asked a question and I answered it..I didn't say that I agree with it or think it's safe (which is debatable.) I don't even have a bike! :rofl:

speedog
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by samh54
Splitting is aloud in the UK and Europe.

They need better driving instruction here so people are used the motorcyclists sharing the road, and better riding instruction do riders do so safely. Aloud?

WTF

Go back to elementary school and figure this shit out. In the mean time, this link (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aloud) will help you out.

And what exactly does "and better riding instruction do riders do so safely" mean? I've been reading for over 45 years and that does not make any sense at all.

samh54
06-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Okay.. Maybe not legally aloud, but you go live there for 7 years like I did and see for yourself, it's a given that riders are going to split lanes and drivers are more aware of riders. Police don't ticket it either.

And if you replace the first "do" with "so" you get a sentence that makes perfectly good sense. So if you used common sense, you might of been able to figure out it was a typo.

Rarasaurus
06-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Allowed?

samh54
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Rarasaurus
Allowed?
That's the one
:banghead:

Sugarphreak
06-08-2012, 12:11 PM

speedog
06-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by samh54
Okay.. Maybe not legally aloud, but you go live there for 7 years like I did and see for yourself, it's a given that riders are going to split lanes and drivers are more aware of riders. Police don't ticket it either.

And if you replace the first "do" with "so" you get a sentence that makes perfectly good sense. So if you used common sense, you might of been able to figure out it was a typo. Common sense - you should use some when posting. :banghead:

95teetee
06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
rather than 'Driver opens door on biker' the title should be 'Someone goes to get out of his car during a traffic jam and some asshole on a motorcycle hits him. Then acts like he's in the right'.

bmeier
06-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Lane splitting... novel idea. Can I drive down the shoulder of the road with my car if traffic gets stopped?

Just think, by not waiting in line like everybody else I would be moving ahead, freeing up traffic, getting out of everyones way... plus my car wouldn't overheat in traffic! Well, until I wanted to get back on the road, then I would force everybody beind me to jam on the brakes and let me back in, and it would just be me budging ahead of all the other drivers for my own selfish benifit.

We could do that... or instead of "sharing the road" in some sort of hybrid system where cars follow the written rules and motorbikes have a free for all, we can treat cars and motorcyclists as motor vehicles, and all follow the same rules and laws which would be safer and more considerate for everyone?

bikes take up 1/4 the amount of space a car does, think of it as a carpool lanes for motorcycles.

They should get some advantage for burning less gas and taking up less space than someone driving by themselves to work everyday in a jacked up SUV.

If done safely lane splitting is perfectly fine with me.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Lane splitting is unlawful. Doesnt matter if its right or wrong.

It scares the piss out of 90% of the women I know.

believe
06-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by bmeier

They should get some advantage for burning less gas and taking up less space than someone driving by themselves to work everyday in a jacked up SUV.

Since there's a guy on my block who makes a ton of noise everyday ripping his bike up and down the street, we'll call it even :)

Grogador
06-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Shhh... shut your ignorant whore mouth and go for a nice leisurely ride through Bangkok. You haven't lived until you've bounced a knee offa cabbie's mirror...

WaGCzgA45UE

m10-power
06-08-2012, 07:33 PM
lane splitting can't work here, too many people that think they own the road. As this country continues to get more congested and with our joke for a drivers license test it's only going to get worse.

I don't see a problem with it, beyond the potential for vehicle damage from mirrors.

GoChris
06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
^^ Exactly. Too many people view being able to drive on the road as right and that they are entitled. Just look at this thread, too many cry babies.

Even if it was legal, I'm not sure I'd do it though.

Sugarphreak
06-08-2012, 09:28 PM

bmeier
06-09-2012, 01:26 AM

No point getting in a huge argument, everybody is going to have a say on this and all sides do have some validity. My opinion it this;

Nobody should get preferential treatment for "burning less gas", we all pay for infrastructure through public funds so we should have have equal use.

Really when you start to consider the amount of public tax paid per liter of gas that goes into infrastructure, if anything people that burn the most gas should be the ones getting preferential treatment.

That moot point aside; we all wait in lines at ATM's and at the grocery store... we all hate when somebody budges in line. Lane splitting is just that, and it slows everybody down.

I have an excellent example; there are a few places on the way home where a second lane opens up briefly and merges back in. When people are traveling normally, everybody gets to go through at a fairly decent place, it all works very well for everybody... however, every once in a while a jack ass decides to roar down this second lane and cut in at the last second, it causes everybody to brake, people get pissed off and usually it ends up being near grid lock as other douchebags start doing the same thing.

It is no different than bikes that lane split... they merge back in later and cause the same traffic disruption. It might work if we had dedicated lanes... but even if we had those lanes, I'd rather see pedal bikes in them instead.

It is funny, in countries where rules are more like guidelines and usually not followed... traffic flows a lot quicker and easier. People don't get pissed off when you cut around them, and everything just kind of works.

The only real rule is the bigger vehicle has the right of way, bikes zip around them happily while they go about their own business without disruption.

After a few weeks of learning how it worked, I rode a pedal bike in just such traffic... it was nuts, but it worked and I didn't get killed! Hell I thought it was fun, lol

legal or not I think the biggest problem is the actual drivers, people here are assholes and thats why it doesnt work.

I have been in many countries where it is acceptable and find it to be efficient.

However, i do disagree with your opinion, fundamentally it makes no sense.

Yes, we all pay for infrastructure. The people with the big trucks are getting preferred treatment, they get to take up an entire lane and usually 2 parking spots for 1 maybe 2 people. a bike takes up 1/4 of the space of the truck so you can fit way more bikes and potentially way more people on the road at one time.

there should be carpool lanes or a tax for heavy vehicles to get more people off the road so we wouldnt have so many traffic issues.

ps there are a lot of assholes out there, whether they are on bikes or in cars it makes no difference.

SOAB
06-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Lane splitting... novel idea. Can I drive down the shoulder of the road with my car if traffic gets stopped?

Just think, by not waiting in line like everybody else I would be moving ahead, freeing up traffic, getting out of everyones way... plus my car wouldn't overheat in traffic! Well, until I wanted to get back on the road, then I would force everybody beind me to jam on the brakes and let me back in, and it would just be me budging ahead of all the other drivers for my own selfish benifit.

We could do that... or instead of "sharing the road" in some sort of hybrid system where cars follow the written rules and motorbikes have a free for all, we can treat cars and motorcyclists as motor vehicles, and all follow the same rules and laws which would be safer and more considerate for everyone?

here is a perfect example of why lanesplitting won't work here. everyone would be pissed that a motorcyclist would be getting to their destination quicker than they would be.

more people would ride motorcycles/mopeds if lanesplitting was legal which would equal to less cars, trucks and SUV's on the road. they would also be on the roads for less time so that would also help free up traffic.

just because YOU chose an inefficient way to travel to and from work doesn't mean everyone should suffer the same fate.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2012, 09:59 AM

SOAB
06-09-2012, 10:20 AM
That is hardly fair, we get crappy weather at least 200 days out of the year, if not more. I choose to drive a vehicle because it protects me from the weather, allows me to take more than 2 people, and facilitates the transport of goods.

This isn't a warm climate country where motorbikes and mopeds can be used all year round. Plus Calgary is geographically widespread compared to most places, getting things like groceries and supplies isn't usually just a block or two away for most people. I realize you guys hate these facts, but that is the way things are in Canada, and that is why motorbikes are not the vehicle of choice.

Really they are a summertime hobby here, and trying to accommodate somebodies hobby by penalizing everyone else's day to day life isn't justifiable.

i put in bold the important parts of your post.

you chose your vehicle. nobody forces you to drive that vehicle.

when i require to take more than 1 person, would take my truck. when i need to transport anything, i would take my truck. i would sit in traffic and not cry about the motorcyclist getting to the front of the line.

if they were behind me and got to the front of the line at a light, they would be gone before i ever reach the intersection and it would not penalize me in any way.

if they were ahead of me in traffic and got to the front of the line, it would actually AID me by allowing me to get close to the light and maybe not have to wait another light cycle.

how does this penalize anyone?

Sugarphreak
06-09-2012, 10:23 AM

bmeier
06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
life isnt fair, just because some people decide to drive a minivan to work and have to wait in traffic doesnt mean i should have to.

maybe they should move closer to their work or use a different form of transport.

i usually find your opinions fairly accurate but i think you have the shades pulled down over this issue. I am not taking offense to your posts either, i always try to look at an issue from both sides but I just cant accept your reasoning.

its all good though!

bmeier
06-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Here is how i see it.

wife is cooking dinner at home but of course she forgot a couple key ingredients, you have to make a quick run to the store.

you arrive at the store and pick up your eggs and milk then head to the cashier.

when you get to the checkout you see all the lines are filled by overweight hillbillies and their stupid kids. They have a giant cart filled with microwave dinners, no name brand pop and condiments. this could take hours...

Wait?! whats that to the left? a 15 item limit isle! you take your 2 items and checkout in under 30 seconds and are back at home to boss your wife around and have a beer.

meanwhile back at the store the overweighties and their learning disabled children, who arrived much longer before you are just checking through. They dont have enough cash and have to decide what items they will put back.

and that is why lane splitting should be legal. i rest my case

ps excuse spelling and grammatical errors, typing on my phone while lane splitting down deerfoot

Kloubek
06-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah, but in your argument there is a specific lineup for those with only a few items. If there was a specific motorcycle lane I think we can all live with that.

However, there isn't, and anyone who lane splits is doing something that is both illegal as well as dangerous to themselves and others.

I rest *my* case.

SOAB
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Yeah, but in your argument there is a specific lineup for those with only a few items. If there was a specific motorcycle lane I think we can all live with that.

However, there isn't, and anyone who lane splits is doing something that is both illegal as well as dangerous to themselves and others.

I rest *my* case.

i think he is stating why it *should be legal*.

it is only dangerous in North America because people can't stand it when someone else gets ahead of them.

Mar
06-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
Here is how i see it.

wife is cooking dinner at home but of course she forgot a couple key ingredients, you have to make a quick run to the store.

you arrive at the store and pick up your eggs and milk then head to the cashier.

when you get to the checkout you see all the lines are filled by overweight hillbillies and their stupid kids. They have a giant cart filled with microwave dinners, no name brand pop and condiments. this could take hours...

Wait?! whats that to the left? a 15 item limit isle! you take your 2 items and checkout in under 30 seconds and are back at home to boss your wife around and have a beer.

meanwhile back at the store the overweighties and their learning disabled children, who arrived much longer before you are just checking through. They dont have enough cash and have to decide what items they will put back.

and that is why lane splitting should be legal. i rest my case

ps excuse spelling and grammatical errors, typing on my phone while lane splitting down deerfoot

Your post doesn't account for the fact that when you arrive at the front of the express lane you have to then squeeze back into the front of the regular line before you can check out. Splitting enables you to get closer to the front faster but eventually you have to squeeze back into my lane again, causing everyone else to hit the brakes or wait an extra few seconds for a space to open.

Using this logic I should be allowed to hop the curb and drive down the grass divider on the highway if there's a jam. Not my fault you decided to drive a motorcycle that won't go up and down the grass.

bmeier
06-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Your post doesn't account for the fact that when you arrive at the front of the express lane you have to then squeeze back into the front of the regular line before you can check out. Splitting enables you to get closer to the front faster but eventually you have to squeeze back into my lane again, causing everyone else to hit the brakes or wait an extra few seconds for a space to open.

Using this logic I should be allowed to hop the curb and drive down the grass divider on the highway if there's a jam. Not my fault you decided to drive a motorcycle that won't go up and down the grass.

that actually makes no sense, if the biker can lane split why would he cut back in and disrupt traffic again.

Once the motorcycle gets passed the traffic he is gone, you don't see him again.

YamahaV8
06-09-2012, 01:50 PM
This entire argument is a complete waste of time until lane splitting is legalized.

skandalouz_08
06-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by A790

Ummm.... no.

Lane splitting is dangerous and inconsiderate. End of story.

I assume you're fine with riders using the shoulders of Deerfoot as well?

It's dangerous because people don't know how to do it safely. We are talking about lane splitting in moving traffic, only when traffic is stopped. Same as bicycles do downtown all the time. Don't you think downtown would be more congested if bikes were actually ticketed for lane splitting?