PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATE* Boil water advisory for 6 NW Calgary communities

raceman6135
06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Sunday, June 10, 2012 update:

BOIL WATER ADVISORY ISSUED FOR 3 (no longer 6) NW CALGARY COMMUNITIES.

Due to high levels of turbidity in a portion of Calgary’s drinking water distribution system, Alberta Health Services has recommended the City of Calgary issue a boil water advisory to the following NW Calgary communities:

• Kincora
• Nolan Hill
• Sage Hill

The advisory has been lifted for the following 3 communities:

• Hamptons
• Hidden Valley
• Sherwood

All residents and businesses in the above listed communities are advised to bring water to a rolling boil for at least one minute prior to any consumption, including:
• drinking
• brushing teeth
• cleaning raw foods
• preparing infant formula or juices
• making ice, etc.

Water used for bathing or washing clothes does not need to be boiled.

Residents may instead choose to purchase bottled water for consumption, for the duration of this advisory.

This advisory will remain in effect until further notice.

(Edgemont was previously removed)

Chester
06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Fawwwk. I drink mad tap water when I get home from work and I just started feeling like shit half hour ago lol:barf:

bigbadboss101
06-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Seriously Chester?

Chester
06-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Yes. Got home around 4:30 and I've refilled my bottle of water at least 5 times, not counting the water I drank with dinner. Started feeling pretty nauseous about an hour ago

Kloubek
06-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Nice know'n ya. I'm pretty sure this is fatal.

Chester
06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Not worried about dying, worried about shitting my pants all night:rofl:

speedog
06-07-2012, 08:54 PM
More details at this link (http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pages/Drinking-water/Water-quality/Water-advisory.aspx).

FixedGear
06-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Chester
Yes. Got home around 4:30 and I've refilled my bottle of water at least 5 times, not counting the water I drank with dinner. Started feeling pretty nauseous about an hour ago

a bit off topic (sorry), but that's weird... I drink a shitload of water every night after work too. and I just sit at a desk most days haha! I thought I was just "weird," but now I wonder how common that is.

I must be on pint 6 by now :rofl:

black13
06-07-2012, 09:04 PM
And I drank two glasses an hour ago. But it went through a water filter.

:confused:

90_Shelby
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Why do the news advisories include Edgemont in their lists but the City of Calgary sites do not? Weird.

J-hop
06-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by black13
And I drank two glasses an hour ago. But it went through a water filter.

:confused:

I wouldn't be too worried, as far as I know "turbidity" is just a measure of the amount of solids in water. Solids would increase the chance of bacteria and what not making it to your tap but I wouldn't worry, and a charcoal filter should remove the solids.

Thing is I've been drinking untreated well water at our cabin my whole life and never had an issue. I believe there is even communication between the lake and the aquifer we pull our water from (lake is fed from underground), and it is a pretty high use lake in the summer.

black13
06-07-2012, 09:24 PM
^^^ Good to hear then. I don't feel sick yet so probably ok.

bourge73
06-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Fuck this is the only time I am glad Coventry Hills is in the NE! Nom Nom Yummy NE Water!

Ven
06-07-2012, 09:57 PM
The boil water advisory is just a liability precaution, there's nothing there that can hurt you. I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure feeder main tie-ins are being done in the NW, which would explain the mineral turbidity. Don't worry, you won't die from the byproducts of Calgary's hard water.

bourge73
06-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Uh oh if it effects the ballers in Arbour Lake, Rage 2 won't be able to brush his teeth!

hampstor
06-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Its only part of Kincora and Hamptons:

URGENT: A boil-water advisory is now in effect for 6 NW Calgary communities. We have identified the source of the problem, and it is restricted to one small part of the distribution system. We are actively flushing the system and hope to restore high quality drinking water soon. No other part of the system is impacted.

Neighbourhoods are:

Nolan Hill

· Sage Hill

· Sherwood

· Kincora (Kincora Glen Road west of Kinlea Way only).

· Hamptons (Hamptons Terrace and Hamptons Garden Only)

· Hidden Valley

Please click on Calgary.ca/advisory for more information. Please share this information widely.

403ep3
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Luckily I live in Evanston :clap:

Unknown303
06-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Once again the SW wins.

Sorath
06-08-2012, 01:16 AM
sweet +1 for evanston haha not that i use water from the tap for consumption

HiTempguy1
06-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

I wouldn't be too worried, as far as I know "turbidity" is just a measure of the amount of solids in water.

Sort of.

Turbidity is literally a measurement of how "dirty" the water is, based on absorbance of light through a sample. I worked in water distribution (and water treatment) for over three years for the City of Red Deer and am an Instrumentation Technologist.

There is "basically" nothing to worry about. As someone else stated, it's covering their asses. As long as the turbidity isn't above a measurement of 1 (forget the units) it is perfectly within federal guidelines IIRC.

desi112
06-08-2012, 09:19 AM
FOREST LAWN FTW

schocker
06-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Brushed my teeth in the kitchen with water from brita and made me shakes at the gym, nbd. Super gross looking water though. :rofl:

sputnik
06-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Sort of.

Turbidity is literally a measurement of how "dirty" the water is, based on absorbance of light through a sample. I worked in water distribution (and water treatment) for over three years for the City of Red Deer and am an Instrumentation Technologist.

I was under the impression that turbidity is more about its lack of clarity and not necessarily how "dirty" the water is.

So you could technically have water with tons of tiny air bubbles that make the water cloudy, but it is still clean and safe to drink.

wardpr68
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
sweet +1 for evanston haha not that i use water from the tap for consumption

You don't drink water from a city with pretty much the cleanest water in the entire world.... but you will eat at asian restaurants with numerous health violations?

Mind. Blown.

Ven
06-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

I was under the impression that turbidity is more about its lack of clarity and not necessarily how "dirty" the water is.

So you could technically have water with tons of tiny air bubbles that make the water cloudy, but it is still clean and safe to drink.

Suspended particulates, not bubbles. The way it's tested wouldn't allow influence from bubbles anyway.

Spoons
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by wardpr68

You don't drink water from a city with pretty much the cleanest water in the entire world.... but you will eat at asian restaurants with numerous health violations?

Mind. Blown.

Straight up water at Asian restaurants always tastes better for some reason lol

wardpr68
06-08-2012, 11:00 AM
one drop of soy sauce! :eek:

Euro_Trash
06-08-2012, 11:28 AM
No more posts from Chester. Pretty sure he didn't make it :(

Chester
06-08-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm fine:clap: Took the biggest shit of my life this morning though, 5 pounds, no joke (TMI):rofl:

ianmcc
06-08-2012, 04:41 PM
City water crews have picked up tons of sandbags and jute bags for the weekend just in case.

raceman6135
06-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Have a look at each community's map, as some parts of each community are no longer the advisory:

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pages/Drinking-water/Water-quality/Water-advisory.aspx?redirect=/advisory

For example, only the small part of Hidden Valley in which I live is still affected; the rest is not.

schocker
06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
The city has issued a boil water advisory for six neighbourhoods in northwest Calgary that will likely be in effect until early next week.

Alberta Health Services recommended the measure late Thursday after cloudiness — high turbidity — was discovered in a portion of the drinking water distribution system.
nnnooooooo:cry:
evanston, I'm coming for your water

lil brown
06-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Sherwood is always getting screwed by the city goddamnit

raceman6135
06-10-2012, 05:30 PM
The boil water advisory has now been lifted for the following 3 communities:

- Hamptons
- Hidden Valley
- Sherwood

The advisory is still in effect for the following 3 communities:

- Kincora (Houses on Kincora Glen Road, west of Kinlea Way)
- Nolan Hill
- Sage Hill

Source:
http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pages/Drinking-water/Water-quality/Water-advisory.aspx?redirect=/advisory

Also:
http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2012/06/boil-water-advisory-lifted-in-3-of-6-nw.html