PDA

View Full Version : Ask Mar - Expert on ninja stars, shuriken, blades, and lawnmowers

Pages : [1] 2

Mar
06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Last week I got a ninja star and a switchblade through customs. This guy can't bring his watch?

I was also wearing a $2000 bracelet they didn't seem to say anything about, I wasn't aware they looked for that stuff.

Sugarphreak
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM

ercchry
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Just to clarify... you're a guy right?

you dont own any diamond tennis bracelets? :rofl:

FraserB
06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Just to clarify... you're a guy right?

Not after his girlfriend took his house and his balls.

KRyn
06-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Last week I got a ninja star and a switchblade through customs. This guy can't bring his watch?

I was also wearing a $2000 bracelet they didn't seem to say anything about, I wasn't aware they looked for that stuff.

You refuse to spend more than $10.00 on a meal at a restaurant but will spend $2000.00 on a bracelet? You are special, not in a good way.

rage2
06-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
You refuse to spend more than $10.00 on a meal at a restaurant but will spend $2000.00 on a bracelet? You are special, not in a good way.
Knowing Mar, he's full of shit. Lives in his own little world.

I'll believe it when he posts a pic of said bracelet sitting on a written beyond.ca sign within 24 hours.

dexlargo
06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I was also wearing a $2000 bracelet they didn't seem to say anything about, I wasn't aware they looked for that stuff. You brought prohibited weapons through customs? If you're telling the truth (which I doubt), you really are some kind of stupid.

KRyn
06-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Knowing Mar, he's full of shit. Lives in his own little world.

I'll believe it when he posts a pic of said bracelet sitting on a written beyond.ca sign within 24 hours.

Do you simply know of him via beyond.ca or have you interacted with him in person? If it is the latter of the two I feel sorry for you.

GTS4tw
06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
You brought prohibited weapons through customs? If you're telling the truth (which I doubt), you really are some kind of stupid.

Naw, his mom left the computer on when she took her 4th date of the day and he's on a trolling spree!!

Mar
06-05-2012, 05:01 PM
This moron tries to sneak back a $80,000 watch, nobody says anything. I bring a $6 throwing star and I'm an idiot. Who cares?
I can't say anything on this forum without being attacked. Is it really necessary? Especially from the guy that owns the place.

For 1% user rating I'll post the photo.

JRSC00LUDE
06-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I can't say anything on this forum without being attacked. Is it really necessary? Especially from the guy that owns the place.

It's not that you can't say anything, it's that you can't seem to say anything true or factual the majority of the time. You peddle bullshit and delusion like you're selling hotdogs at a hockey game.

GTS4tw
06-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Mar
This moron tries to sneak back a $80,000 watch, nobody says anything. I bring a $6 throwing star and I'm an idiot. Who cares?

You are an idiot and a troll, you continually post patently false and pointless things, you contribute nothing. The forum owner sees that and calls you out and you still stick around. You seem very desperate for attention.

KRyn
06-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Mar

You have lost all credabity on this forum. I would suggest creating a new account and refraining from making idiotic posts. But that is likely impossible for you, so carry on as usual
Clocks ticking... He said within 24 hours and I don't see a picture of said bracelet.

dexlargo
06-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I can't say anything on this forum without being attacked. Is it really necessary? Especially from the guy that owns the place.If the guy with the $80,000 watch was posting on this forum, he'd probably be called an idiot too. But he already knows that because he gets to pay a $30,000 idiot tax.

You are here, and it's not the price of the throwing star or the switch blade that's relevant, it's the fact that they're both prohibited weapons.

Unlike failing to declare a Rolex, when you get caught with prohibited weapons, it won't get you a $30,000 fine but it will get you a criminal record. If you like being employed in responsible positions, it's kind of stupid to run the risk - especially for a shitty $6.00 throwing star and $X.00 switchblade.

So, bringing criminally prohibited items through customs - where they don't have to have any reason at all to search you - is what's dumb. It's equivalent to bringing an eighth of weed through customs.

For 1% user rating I'll post the photo. I say give him a point if he comes through with a pic! It would be worth it for actually backing up something he said.

But if Rage does agree, please include the throwing star and switchblade in the photo too. It's hard to value a bracelet from a photo, but I know prohibited weapons when I see 'em.

But if you ask for a reward, it's only fair that failure should have a a consequence, right? What should that be?

Mar
06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Unlike failing to declare a Rolex, when you get caught with prohibited weapons, it won't get you a $30,000 fine but it will get you a criminal record. If you like being employed in responsible positions, it's kind of stupid to run the risk - especially for a shitty $6.00 throwing star and $X.00 switchblade.

Thanks for worrying about my personal safety, I can take it from here.

I say give him a point if he comes through with a pic! It would be worth it for actually backing up something he said.

But if Rage does agree, please include the throwing star and switchblade in the photo too. It's hard to value a bracelet from a photo, but I know prohibited weapons when I see 'em.

But if you ask for a reward, it's only fair that failure should have a a consequence, right? What should that be?
I've already taken the picture, give me a user point and I'll post it. All 3 items.

KRyn
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I've already taken the picture, give me a user point and I'll post it. All 3 items.

rage2 said post the picture after that you will receive said user rating... You are in no position to negotiate.

On a side note... To the first mod to give me +1000 user rating I will promptly give you a million dollars...
:rofl:

Mar
06-06-2012, 12:51 PM
rage2 said post the picture after that you will receive said user rating... You are in no position to negotiate.
I don't see where he said that.

KRyn
06-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I don't see where he said that.

Oh I am mistaken; he was just calling your character (or lack thereof) into question and didn’t mention a user rating increase as a reward. One would think proving you are not full of shit and that you don't exist in a world of your own would be reward enough, my apologies.

max_boost
06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll donate $25 to Mar's cause so he can that 1%.

I just have a feeling the thread will take off some more. So in for the lulz! Mar you always deliver!

dexlargo
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Thanks for worrying about my personal safety, I can take it from here.Who's worried?

So how did you sneak the switchblade and star through? I presume they were in your checked bags, but was that the extent of the concealment?

FraserB
06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I just have a feeling the thread will take off some more. So in for the lulz! Mar you always deliver!

I second the motion to relax the rules for increasing user rating. He should get 1% back for posting a picture of the bracelet, the star and the knife with a hand written note that has beyond.ca and Rage2 on it.

Mar
06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
One would think proving you are not full of shit and that you don't exist in a world of your own would be reward enough, my apologies.
To randoms on the internet? No thanks.

Hopefully we can move on now. This isn't the Mar show.

http://www.danmaher.com/images/gold1.jpg

http://www.danmaher.com/images/gold2.jpg

http://www.danmaher.com/images/gold3.jpg

http://www.danmaher.com/images/gold4.jpg

Retail price in 2005 - $1300
Purchase price in 2005 - $670
Appraisal in 2007 - just over $1000
Gold price in 2007 - $660
Gold price today - $1700

Do the math. :dunno:

01RedDX
06-06-2012, 02:07 PM

ercchry
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
how many oz (troy oz, not regular oz) and at what purity?

Mar
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Don't know ounces.
18 karat

dexlargo
06-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Do the math. :dunno: Thanks for delivering the pics. I'd have to rate your claims in Myth-Busters style as "plausible"

The bracelet could be worth $2000, and it could also be worth $3.00, all depends on whether or not it's solid gold, the purity, etc.

That said, it's not the kind of thing that I think a Customs officer would be particularly interested in.

I'm still interested in what the super-secret technique is for getting the throwing star and knife through customs. How'd you do that?

Sugarphreak
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM

max_boost
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
haha I know nothing about jewelry, don't wear it, don't care for it. I do know a little bit about diamonds though but those are just a scam haha

I just realized I made a $100 donation to each of 4 different causes. So that means I should get +16% in user rating, can I just give 1% to Mar? :dunno:

TYMSMNY
06-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I picked up a throwing star in Japan and brought it back in my checked suit case. No one checked? :dunno: I completely forgot that I had bought and packed it in a compartment earlier in the trip. Come to think about it... I went from JPN to HKG, HKG to YVR to YYC with it lol.

Mar
06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
The bracelet could be worth $2000, and it could also be worth $3.00, all depends on whether or not it's solid gold, the purity, etc.
If it matters, I just replaced the claw on it a few months ago and it was $200 for another 18 karat claw. Which is what's on it now. I used to play with it and one day it broke and fell off my wrist, luckily I was on a plane and it didn't go far.

I'm still interested in what the super-secret technique is for getting the throwing star and knife through customs. How'd you do that?
I opened up the front zipper on my suitcase and threw it in. Star in one bag, knife in the other. :dunno: Are they supposed to x-ray every bag?

max_boost
06-06-2012, 02:45 PM
rage2/kenny does this count? Now give me my bonus 15% and give Mar his 1% so he can access the marketplace now.

ercchry
06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
when you guys are at it i will take 9.6 points for my "donation" to the racing community last year in beyond's name ;)

dexlargo
06-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I opened up the front zipper on my suitcase and threw it in. Star in one bag, knife in the other. :dunno: Are they supposed to x-ray every bag? My understanding is that they do, but in a checked bag this isn't what they would be looking for. Not explodey enough.

Also, that X-raying would occur at the departure point, so if it's not illegal to possess there, it wouldn't trigger any kind of checks.

If it was in carry on, it would definitely be a problem anywhere.

No, your only real danger is if the Customs officers decided to search your bags. I was just curious if you tried to hide it in the bag somehow.

rage2
06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
kenny's going to give Mar his 1% and max_boost his 15%.

FWIW, that chain isn't worth $2k. I can buy something similar, 18k gold for $600.

And max_boost, I'm calling you out. What kind of baller only has a $9k limit on a credit card?

ercchry
06-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
when you guys are at it i will take 9.6 points for my "donation" to the racing community last year in beyond's name ;)

reference thread...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333155

max_boost
06-06-2012, 04:19 PM
kenny's going to give Mar his 1% and max_boost his 15%.

FWIW, that chain isn't worth $2k. I can buy something similar, 18k gold for $600.

And max_boost, I'm calling you out. What kind of baller only has a $9k limit on a credit card? A fake one! Isn't it obvious!

:nut:

max_boost
06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Hey Mar, you're welcome buddy. You can have marketplace access now!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mar
06-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Where? I'd like to get another one.

Hey Mar, you're welcome buddy. You can have marketplace access now!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
:thumbsup:

bignerd
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
When we went to Japan there were two young guys on our flight there and on the same flight home. We got to Vancouver coming home and only saw one of them... his buddy didn't show up until the flight was pretty much almost all boarded.

His friend had bought throwing stars in Japan, DID declare them at customs in Vancouver (they were packed in his checked luggage) and he was pulled aside and strip searched and questioned until our flight left (about a 2 hr layover).

He said they weren't even weapons quality stars, more knock offs for fun. Felt bad for him, was just a young brown kid and I think this was his first big trip as an adult.

Mar
06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
When we went to Japan there were two young guys on our flight there and on the same flight home. We got to Vancouver coming home and only saw one of them... his buddy didn't show up until the flight was pretty much almost all boarded.

His friend had bought throwing stars in Japan, DID declare them at customs in Vancouver (they were packed in his checked luggage) and he was pulled aside and strip searched and questioned until our flight left (about a 2 hr layover).

He said they weren't even weapons quality stars, more knock offs for fun. Felt bad for him, was just a young brown kid and I think this was his first big trip as an adult.
I don't know about weapons quality but it definitely wouldn't bounce off someone. Though this switchblade is duller than a steak knife, I need to sharpen it. I only bought it for convenience when I'm working on the car and only have one hand free cutting wires or something. I definitely wouldn't want to carry it around in my pocket, I did that when I bought it and whenever I pushed on my pocket it opened.

Got both for $12, I'm not expecting any sort of quality from them. And if I ever decided I didn't want them I'd destroy them before selling them to anyone.

eblend
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I don't know about weapons quality but it definitely wouldn't bounce off someone. Though this switchblade is duller than a steak knife, I need to sharpen it. I only bought it for convenience when I'm working on the car and only have one hand free cutting wires or something. I definitely wouldn't want to carry it around in my pocket, I did that when I bought it and whenever I pushed on my pocket it opened.

Got both for $12, I'm not expecting any sort of quality from them. And if I ever decided I didn't want them I'd destroy them before selling them to anyone.

I brought a metal one, not sharp at all, at a souvenier store, is that illigal? Just had it in my carry on, never even concidered if it was illigal or not, as it was just a dull metal one?

DEATH2000
06-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by eblend

I brought a metal one, not sharp at all, at a souvenier store, is that illigal? Just had it in my carry on, never even concidered if it was illigal or not, as it was just a dull metal one?
They could be rubber, and they would still give you grief at the border and take them. I wouldnt recommend bringing over anything that looks like a throwing star.

Mar
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM

I would say no because I did some research online afterwards and it seems to fall into the category of a multi-blade tool. Apparently anything with more than 1 blade is illegal though I don't know how this affects things like lawnmowers.

colsankey
06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
It looks like it's pick on Mar week, so I'll just keep it simple.

A weapon is defined as anything that was used with the intent of causing harm. So anything from a rolled up newspaper (bourn identity) to a .50 cal rifle could be a weapon.

Knives fall somewhat into a grey zone, a knife carried around to cut string and open boxes is a tool. The same knife pointed at someone in a threatening manner or carried "to protect myself" is now a weapon. I dont believe your argument that it's a mutli-bladed tool would hold up.

There are more specifics in the C.C.C.

Canadian Criminal Code: Section 3 (weapons)

"prohibited weapon"
"prohibited weapon" means
(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

Many martial arts weapons, justly or not are also illegal.

The Criminal Code has a number of provisions which bear on martial arts weapons. The most specific are the regulations which prohibit certain weapons. Under section 91(3), possession of a prohibited weapon is a criminal offence. Prohibited weapons are defined in s. 84(1) and its regulations. The following martial arts weapons are prohibited:
(a) a knife with a retractable or folding blade which, by design or through wear, will open by centrifugal force or gravity, or by a spring or similar device. This has been interpreted by the courts to include a butterfly knife;
(b) nunchaku or similar objects made up of hard, non-flexible sticks linked by a flexible length of chain. This includes objects where the sticks are replaced by, for example, pipes or other rigid pieces, and where the chain is replaced by rope, wire or other flexible material;
(c) shuriken or similar objects which are made of a hard, non-flexible material in an essentially two-dimensional regular geometric form with one or more sharp edges;
(d) manrikigusari or kusari or similar objects which are made up of geometrically-shaped hard weights or hand grips linked by rope, chain, wire or other flexible material;
(e) a push dagger, namely a knife where the blade is perpendicular to the handle;
(f) any item under 30 cm which looks like another object but which conceals a blade;
(g) spiked wristbands;
(h) blowguns;
(i) manually-triggered telescoping spring-loaded steel whips;
(j) morning stars or similar items consisting of a ball of metal or similar heavy material studded with spikes and connected to a handle by a length of rope, chain, wire or other flexible material;
(k) brass knuckles or similar items.

dexlargo
06-07-2012, 09:52 AM

I brought a metal one, not sharp at all, at a souvenier store, is that illigal? Just had it in my carry on, never even concidered if it was illigal or not, as it was just a dull metal one? If the points are not at all sharp (or even close to sharp), then it should be fine. It wouldn't fall under the definition that colsankey correctly identified:

(c) shuriken or similar objects which are made of a hard, non-flexible material in an essentially two-dimensional regular geometric form with one or more sharp edges

D'z Nutz
06-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I don't know how this affects things like lawnmowers.

Good to keep that in mind for when I decide to sneak a lawnmower across the border.

Mar
06-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by colsankey
It looks like it's pick on Mar week, so I'll just keep it simple.

A weapon is defined as anything that was used with the intent of causing harm. So anything from a rolled up newspaper (bourn identity) to a .50 cal rifle could be a weapon.

Knives fall somewhat into a grey zone, a knife carried around to cut string and open boxes is a tool. The same knife pointed at someone in a threatening manner or carried "to protect myself" is now a weapon. I dont believe your argument that it's a mutli-bladed tool would hold up.

There are more specifics in the C.C.C.

Canadian Criminal Code: Section 3 (weapons)

"prohibited weapon"
"prohibited weapon" means
(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

Many martial arts weapons, justly or not are also illegal.

The Criminal Code has a number of provisions which bear on martial arts weapons. The most specific are the regulations which prohibit certain weapons. Under section 91(3), possession of a prohibited weapon is a criminal offence. Prohibited weapons are defined in s. 84(1) and its regulations. The following martial arts weapons are prohibited:
(a) a knife with a retractable or folding blade which, by design or through wear, will open by centrifugal force or gravity, or by a spring or similar device. This has been interpreted by the courts to include a butterfly knife;
(b) nunchaku or similar objects made up of hard, non-flexible sticks linked by a flexible length of chain. This includes objects where the sticks are replaced by, for example, pipes or other rigid pieces, and where the chain is replaced by rope, wire or other flexible material;
(c) shuriken or similar objects which are made of a hard, non-flexible material in an essentially two-dimensional regular geometric form with one or more sharp edges;
(d) manrikigusari or kusari or similar objects which are made up of geometrically-shaped hard weights or hand grips linked by rope, chain, wire or other flexible material;
(e) a push dagger, namely a knife where the blade is perpendicular to the handle;
(f) any item under 30 cm which looks like another object but which conceals a blade;
(g) spiked wristbands;
(h) blowguns;
(i) manually-triggered telescoping spring-loaded steel whips;
(j) morning stars or similar items consisting of a ball of metal or similar heavy material studded with spikes and connected to a handle by a length of rope, chain, wire or other flexible material;
(k) brass knuckles or similar items. Pick on me? You and I said the exact same thing, it's illegal because it's got more than one blade.

schocker
06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Good to keep that in mind for when I decide to sneak a lawnmower across the border.
Hey Pal, brought one back in my suitcase last time I was in the US. They didn't suspect a thing!

dexlargo
06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Pick on me? You and I said the exact same thing, it's illegal because it's got more than one blade. Where the fuck does anything in the regulations say anything about items that have more than one blade being prohibited? Are swiss army knives prohibited then? Shut down Eddie Bauer - they're illegal arms distributors!

Ninja stars are prohibited because it says in the regulations, "SHURIKEN ARE PROHIBITED". It also describes shuriken, and interestingly enough, that description says "with one or more sharp edges". So it's still prohibited even if it has only one sharp edge.

Mar
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Are swiss army knives prohibited then?
According tot he definition of a shuriken....yes.

JRSC00LUDE
06-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Mar

According tot he definition of a shuriken....yes.

Really?

A Swiss Army knife is essentially a two-dimensional regular geometric form?

Really? :eek:

Do you believe yourself when you "think"? God knows you don't fact check. You know what "facts" are, right? If you're unclear then just read pretty much any post you haven't written, they're typically loaded with them.

Mar
06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Really?

A Swiss Army knife is essentially a two-dimensional regular geometric form?

Really? :eek:

Do you believe yourself when you "think"? God knows you don't fact check. You know what "facts" are, right? If you're unclear then just read pretty much any post you haven't written, they're typically loaded with them.
See, this is how I got this reputation, having to explain simple things to people on the internet.
Are you talking about the entire knife with casing? Or just the blade? The blade is a 2 dimensional figure, it has a length and a width, yes. It has 1 or more sharp edges, yes. Is it geometric? Yes. What about this confuses you? If I take a ninja star and wrap a towel around it, it doesn't make it legal.

Do I think it's illegal or should be? No. I'm merely answering the question someone stated of whether or not it matches the definition, which it does. Don't make it sound like I'm the idiot that doesn't fact check, I know the historical background of the shuriken (for some reason) and I know what falls into the category. If you can hide it in your hand and throw it and it's sharp, it's basically a shuriken. I could sharpen a loonie and it would fall into that category. I'm tired of people telling me I'm wrong when I'm not.

Please tell me how the blade of a knife is not a two-dimensional regular geometric form with one or more sharp edges.

JRSC00LUDE
06-07-2012, 06:44 PM
^

You still haven't explained how it is so it obviously is not that simple for you. You always seem to think that your INTERPRETATION of things is fact and most of the time it just isn't. I don't have to make it sound like you're the idiot, you do it yourself every day. I'll tell you right now kid, if that is as good as your interpretative skills are with acts and statutes you'd be one hell of an bad lawyer.

I'm glad that you have some sense of superiority of thought that makes you believe you're always right but I have to say, when you're consistently the only person who feels that way, you're likely wrong.

The problem with people like you is you'll always be that way, sure that the rest of the world is wrong.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/mar.jpg

Isaiah
06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
^ For any youngsters lost on the reference:

k6GTZrcoWEM

Mar
06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
^

You still haven't explained how it is so it obviously is not that simple for you.

It's right here:

Originally posted by Mar
The blade is a 2 dimensional figure, it has a length and a width, yes. It has 1 or more sharp edges, yes. Is it geometric? Yes.

ercchry
06-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Mar

It's right here:

holy fuck, you HAVE to be trolling us at this point... there is no way even you believe that swiss army knife=throwing star :nut:

JRSC00LUDE
06-07-2012, 07:15 PM

holy fuck, you HAVE to be trolling us at this point... there is no way even you believe that swiss army knife=throwing star :nut:

If my lowly intellect understands his flawless interpretation and logic, every restaurant (for example) in Canada is in contravention of the prohibited weapons law if they own steak knives. Or kitchen knives. Or any knives.

Fuck this guy is a retard.

Mar
06-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Again, this is how I got this reputation, people don't read what I write. I didn't say throwing star, I said shuriken. By the historical definition of it, check it out.

If my lowly intellect understands his flawless interpretation and logic, every restaurant (for example) in Canada is in contravention of the prohibited weapons law if they own steak knives. Or kitchen knives. Or any knives.

Fuck this guy is a retard.
Technically, yes. How am I retarded that I can read a definition and apply logic? You'd have to be retarded not to understand that. By definition, yes a blade would be considered illegal.....as far as I understand the law by what's been posted here. However I imagine there is something else in place to allow them legally, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying any type of blade would fall under the posted broad definition of a shuriken which is prohibited. I'm not wrong.

My only objective here is to finally stand up for the fact that I'm not wrong and usually am not on many things I post. I got the reputation because I don't bother to spend 2 days defending myself on the internet. This time I'm not letting it go.

Does the blade of a knife match the definition of a shuriken? Yes.
Are shurikens illegal? Yes.
It isn't hard to marth it together. :dunno:

lint
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
marth this:
- shurikens are blades
- not all blades are shurikens

how hard is it to grasp that?

Mar
06-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by lint
marth this:
- shurikens are blades
- not all blades are shurikens

how hard is it to grasp that?
That's the point I'm making. By every definition I can find, all blades are shurikens......if they're small enough. I'd like it if someone could find a reputable definition of shuriken that's different, it would stop everything here. Honestly, if you find something to the contrary post it here.

rage2
06-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Mar
That's the point I'm making. By every definition I can find, all blades are shurikens......if they're small enough. I'd like it if someone could find a reputable definition of shuriken that's different, it would stop everything here. Honestly, if you find something to the contrary post it here.
Is the Oxford Dictionary reputable enough?

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/shuriken

shuriken

Pronunciation: /ˈʃʊərɪkɛn/

noun

a weapon in the form of a star with projecting blades or points, used as a missile in some martial arts.
Swiss Army Knife:

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/swiss-army-knife/swiss-army-knife.jpg

That does not look like a weapon in the form of a star to me.

I used to think Mar was a troll too. But I've now come to the conclusion he's just stupid.

lint
06-07-2012, 09:39 PM
what the fuck is wrong with you? all blades are shurikens if they're small enough? so only small blades COULD be shurikens. therefore NOT ALL blades are shurikens!

Mar
06-07-2012, 09:49 PM

Is the Oxford Dictionary reputable enough?

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/shuriken

Swiss Army Knife:

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/swiss-army-knife/swiss-army-knife.jpg

That does not look like a weapon in the form of a star to me.

I used to think Mar was a troll too. But I've now come to the conclusion he's just stupid.
Yes, perfect, thank you. I couldn't find it in Webster's so all I had was Wikipedia and that doesn't have the modern definition, just the historical. Historically a railroad spike could be a shuriken. So that settles it, discussion over. Not sure why it took 2 pages.

And I'm stupid because I know the historical uses of a shuriken? Did you bother to research it at all? They originated as very simple weapons, it's only recently they are defined as a star shape, probably since industrialization, not sure. Sorry if my knowledge projects past last week.

Originally posted by lint
what the fuck is wrong with you? all blades are shurikens if they're small enough? so only small blades COULD be shurikens. therefore NOT ALL blades are shurikens!
What are you the sentence police? How should I have worded it? "All blades are shurikens if they're small enough", that's pretty straight forward. I just wanted to be sure someone didn't make reference to an axe or spear or something. Or a 6 foot sword.

Besides, with the new definition that would be incorrect so it doesn't matter.

Disoblige
06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
This problem would have all been avoided if Mar knew how to use the define: function in Google.

:D

Mar
06-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
This problem would have all been avoided if Mar knew how to use the define: function in Google.

:D
That's cool, I never knew about that. It uses Wiktionary as a source though, not sure how credible that is.

lint
06-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Mar
What are you the sentence police? How should I have worded it? "All blades are shurikens if they're small enough", that's pretty straight forward. I just wanted to be sure someone didn't make reference to an axe or spear or something. Or a 6 foot sword.

Besides, with the new definition that would be incorrect so it doesn't matter.

I wasn't commenting on your grammarth, you maroon.

And really, referencing an axe or a spear or a 6 ft sword is CRAZY. But a lawn mower blade is spock!

colsankey
06-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I would say no because I did some research online afterwards and it seems to fall into the category of a multi-blade tool. Apparently anything with more than 1 blade is illegal though I don't know how this affects things like lawnmowers.

Pick on me? You and I said the exact same thing, it's illegal because it's got more than one blade.

You were asked if something wasl illegal and said "no because I did some research ... multi-bladed tool which seemed to indicate you though either a switch blade or shuriken was legal. If that's not your intention, great, but it read as if you were saying a multi-bladed tool is legal.

I was just trying to clarify that both a switch blade or shuriken would be illegal.

As for the lawn mower blade, it's an interesting choice in that it is a 2-dimensional blade, but the section I posted Canadian Criminal Code is clearly stating objects in refrence to martial arts. It's been 2 years since I've done any training, but in over 22 years I've never seen a lawn mower blade used in a martial arts gym or online in any kind of video, so it's not really a relevant example.

GTS4tw
06-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Mar

See, this is how I got this reputation, having to explain simple things to people on the internet.

Do I think it's illegal or should be? No. I'm merely answering the question someone stated of whether or not it matches the definition, which it does. Don't make it sound like I'm the idiot that doesn't fact check.

I'm tired of people telling me I'm wrong when I'm not.

This thread is so many levels of awesome. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mar
06-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Now it looks like I started this thread to tell the online world what I took through customs. Awesome.

You were asked if something wasl illegal and said "no because I did some research ... multi-bladed tool which seemed to indicate you though either a switch blade or shuriken was legal. If that's not your intention, great, but it read as if you were saying a multi-bladed tool is legal.

I was just trying to clarify that both a switch blade or shuriken would be illegal.

As for the lawn mower blade, it's an interesting choice in that it is a 2-dimensional blade, but the section I posted Canadian Criminal Code is clearly stating objects in refrence to martial arts. It's been 2 years since I've done any training, but in over 22 years I've never seen a lawn mower blade used in a martial arts gym or online in any kind of video, so it's not really a relevant example.
I'm not sure how it read that way, I was saying the other guy's blunt ninja star would be legal because the referene states it must be a multi blade tool and if it's dull it doesn't have any blades. Even though it also includes single bladed items that's irrelevant, my only point to be made was it is probably considered legal for the blade point I made.

About the lawn mower blade, I thought about it for about 1.5 seconds, typed it and forgot about it, who cares? At the time I was wondering how it doesn't fall into that category but didn't really care enough to look it up, I wasn't asking, I simply wrote down something I thought. I honestly forgot about it as soon as I hit submit. People seem really obsessed with it for some reason, it's not important.

Something else I wonder - if I weld an extension onto one end of the star like a butter knife, is it still a shuriken? Can I weld it on and then break it off once in Canada? Are throwing knives legal? Can I import shurikens if they're dull and sharpen them later? Can I import them under a special training license? What about for sport?

I have lots of questions but I don't have the time to look up the laws, I just read something and a thousand questions run through my mind, one of which I typed out. A lawnmower blade. Not important.

max_boost
06-08-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by GTS4tw

This thread is so many levels of awesome. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mar, you ALWAYS deliver the goods!:thumbsup:

M.alex
06-08-2012, 01:30 AM
lol@ new thread title :rofl:

dexlargo
06-08-2012, 01:47 AM
As for the lawn mower blade, it's an interesting choice in that it is a 2-dimensional blade, but the section I posted Canadian Criminal Code is clearly stating objects in refrence to martial arts. It's been 2 years since I've done any training, but in over 22 years I've never seen a lawn mower blade used in a martial arts gym or online in any kind of video, so it's not really a relevant example. I know it's not martial arts, but this reminds me of the movie Sling Blade.

"What you doin' with that lawn mower blade Karl?"
"I aim to kill you with it. mmhmm."

Originally posted by Mar
Something else I wonder - if I weld an extension onto one end of the star like a butter knife, is it still a shuriken? Can I weld it on and then break it off once in Canada?interesting idea (sort of). In any event, the definition of Shuriken that we've been talking about being in the regulations isn't the exact wording - it was kind of simplified. I didn't notice because it looked about right and didn't check. Now I've checked. Here is the full definition as contained in the Regulations (http://canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-98-462/latest/sor-98-462.html#PRESCRIPTION__2340):

3. Any instrument or device commonly known as “shuriken”, being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more radiating points with one or more sharp edges in the shape of a polygon, trefoil, cross, star, diamond or other geometrical shape, and any similar instrument or device.In my opinion, welding a butter knife onto a shuriken doesn't make it into a not-a-shuriken, it makes it into a shuriken that you can butter your toast with.

Are throwing knives legal?They are, right up until you get the idea of throwing them at someone.

Can I import shurikens if they're dull and sharpen them later?I suppose you could, but they become prohibited items as soon as you sharpen one point of it.

Can I import them under a special training license?I don't know about a 'training license', but the Criminal Code does say that it's illegal to possess a prohibited weapon unless the person is a holder of a licence under which they may possess it. I have no idea where a person would get such a licence, or what the requirements for one would be.

What about for sport?What sport would that be? Are you planning on entering the ninja olympics or something? If those exist, I imagine they would be awesome... Unless you went to the stadium and never saw anyone because the ninjas are such awesome hiders.

Masked Bandit
06-08-2012, 08:11 AM
What sport would that be? Are you planning on entering the ninja olympics or something? If those exist, I imagine they would be awesome... Unless you went to the stadium and never saw anyone because the ninjas are such awesome hiders.

I'm totally ripping this off!

KRyn
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
How long will it be until Mar loses his next User Rating point? I say within the month. We should start a thread and place bets.

Kg810
06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
:rofl: :nut:

Mar is so special. He is one of the few people I know that can count to potato.

Tik-Tok
06-08-2012, 08:42 AM

In my opinion, welding a butter knife onto a shuriken doesn't make it into a not-a-shuriken, it makes it into a shuriken that you can butter your toast with.

So would my multi-pointed pizza cutter be a shuriken if I removed the handle? (Please don't read this as if I'm on Mar's side, I'm just curious, lol)

FraserB
06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Seriously curious, has anyone met Mar in real life?

BananaFob
06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Seriously curious, has anyone met Mar in real life?

I imagine him as the slightly saner brother of Zenops.

dexlargo
06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

So would my multi-pointed pizza cutter be a shuriken if I removed the handle? (Please don't read this as if I'm on Mar's side, I'm just curious, lol) Multi-pointed? That sounds like a pizza perforater, not a pizza cutter.

But in case serious, if you removed the handle, and it had multiple points that are sharp, then yes, I guess it would fall under this.

Tik-Tok
06-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Multi-pointed? That sounds like a pizza perforater, not a pizza cutter.

Lol, well it has like 50 points on it, but I guess it is a perforater.

Spoons
06-08-2012, 09:25 AM
This pretty well sums up a thread where the OP is Mar:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/21706753.jpg

JRSC00LUDE
06-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

So would my multi-pointed pizza cutter be a shuriken if I removed the handle? (Please don't read this as if I'm on Mar's side, I'm just curious, lol)

The blade off your skilsaw would be also. Lawbreaker.

dexlargo
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
This pretty well sums up a thread where the OP is Mar:To be fair to Mar, he wasn't the OP. The thread was edited to remove the boring original post (about a guy who failed to smuggle a Rolex through customs) and pared down to where Mar rolled in to entertain and inform.

max_boost
06-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Seriously curious, has anyone met Mar in real life? He's a chill guy.

Spoons
06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
He's a chill guy.

Everyone's chill. There is my beyond life and then my real life. There are tons of people who dislike me on here but like me in real life. It's beyond. Everyone is a keyboard warrior... And if you think you're not, you're just lying to yourself.

Honestly I've just been too lazy to remove Mar from my ignore list... Which is ironic because I click pretty well all of his posts which takes effort too.

Graham_A_M
06-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm on my iphone seriously laughing my ass off at Mar's stupidity. It's iconic. :rofl:

Mar
06-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I'm on my iphone seriously laughing my ass off at Mar's stupidity. It's iconic. :rofl:

What are you smoking? My definition of a shuriken goes back over 1000 years, the modern definition probably doesn't even predate me. There's nowhere in the criminal code where they explicitly state they prohibit them under the modern definition (that I'm aware of). Does anyone here understand history or am I talking to myself?

Just because modern society sees something in a movie and attaches that definition to the term doesn't erase the 1000 years before it.

It's like saying Apple made the MP3 player.........they made what we currently associate with the MP3 player but they were around for 15-20 years before that.

It's like saying you would be an idiot to call duct tape "duck tape". Just because recently it's called duct tape doesn't erase the history it had in the army well known as duck tape. Modern definition changes don't erase history,

I wasn't wrong to classify those things as shurikens.

ercchry
06-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Mar

What are you smoking? My definition of a shuriken goes back over 1000 years, the modern definition probably doesn't even predate me. There's nowhere in the criminal code where they explicitly state they prohibit them under the modern definition (that I'm aware of). Does anyone here understand history or am I talking to myself?

okay smartie,

the original "sword hidden in the hand" were converted "everyday items" that were small and could do damage. once you convert a tool (ie. pizza cutter sans handle) into a makeshift weapon... it becomes illegal. a swiss army knife is a tool, if you disassemble it and start throwing the individual blades at people... weapon, not legal.

got it? good

Graham_A_M
06-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Just because modern society sees something in a movie and attaches that definition to the term doesn't erase the 1000 years before it.

It's like saying Apple made the MP3 player.........they made what we currently associate with the MP3 player but they were around for 15-20 years before that.

It's like saying you would be an idiot to call duct tape "duck tape". Just because recently it's called duct tape doesn't erase the history it had in the army well known as duck tape. Modern definition changes don't erase history,

I wasn't wrong to classify those things as shurikens.

:rofl: :rofl: You're one to talk when it comes to "smoking" things? That's cute.
A bit of a "History" lesson for you, Duct tape (regardless of whether its being used as an example) would be that it really doesn't have much of any history to it.

The reason why its called "Duct tape" would be that it was originally used to patch holes in residential/commercial & industrial air ducts, people just found that its very useful for a wide variety of things, and how we have its very common usage today.
Air ducts REALLY aren't that old, less then 100 years old for sure. Duct tape is even less than that obviously. So not entirely sure what "history" you speak of but okie dokie. :nut:

lasimmon
06-08-2012, 04:22 PM

:rofl: :rofl: You're one to talk when it comes to "smoking" things? That's cute.
A bit of a "History" lesson for you, Duct tape (regardless of whether its being used as an example) would be that it really doesn't have much of any history to it.

The reason why its called "Duct tape" would be that it was originally used to patch holes in residential/commercial & industrial air ducts, people just found that its very useful for a wide variety of things, and how we have its very common usage today. Like I say, it was originally used for air ducts, of which is a much more recent thing then you think. So not entirely sure what "history" you speak of but okie dokie. :nut:

Oops...
"n 1942 Revolite, formerly a division of Johnson & Johnson, originally developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used as sealing tape on ammunition cases during World War II.[1] Because of these properties, it was also used to repair military equipment quickly, including jeeps, firearms, and aircraft."

Toma
06-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Fuck all you.

It's Gorilla Tape or nothing.

Originally used to tape Gorilla's in their bamboo cages in the 1830's

http://www.mcguckin.com/images/9401852_1.jpg

Mar
06-08-2012, 05:22 PM

The reason why its called "Duct tape" would be that it was originally used to patch holes in residential/commercial & industrial air ducts, people just found that its very useful for a wide variety of things, and how we have its very common usage today.
Air ducts REALLY aren't that old, less then 100 years old for sure. Duct tape is even less than that obviously. So not entirely sure what "history" you speak of but okie dokie. :nut:

Originally posted by lasimmon

Oops...
"n 1942 Revolite, formerly a division of Johnson & Johnson, originally developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used as sealing tape on ammunition cases during World War II.[1] Because of these properties, it was also used to repair military equipment quickly, including jeeps, firearms, and aircraft."

Exactly. Where did you get its original use on air ducts? :dunno: Can this die now? None of this is important.

Kardon
06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Beyonds greatest know it all :D

ExtraSlow
06-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I hate to do this but I agree with mar. Duct tape has never been intended for use on heating ducts. It's totally unsuited to that type of work. Duck tape seems like a more likely source for the name.

Originally posted by Mar
None of this is important.
Which part of this IS important? This thread is the beyond equivalent of angry birds. Hilarious, but a waste of time nonetheless.

Agent_Oorange
06-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Toma

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This thread is awesome.

Disoblige
06-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

Everyone's chill. There is my beyond life and then my real life. There are tons of people who dislike me on here but like me in real life. It's beyond. Everyone is a keyboard warrior... And if you think you're not, you're just lying to yourself.

Honestly I've just been too lazy to remove Mar from my ignore list... Which is ironic because I click pretty well all of his posts which takes effort too.
I disagree.

I think in -most- cases, the person on here is very similar to how they are in real life. It's just on here, they can show their stupidity and true nature easier through text. They think, "Oh it's just the Internet, whatever." and don't really give a shit if people think less of them because of their stupidity.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

These people are more silent in real life than they are here on Beyond ;)

Edit: This of course applies to people who aren't obvious trolls.

Mibz
06-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Fuck all you.

It's Gorilla Tape or nothing.

http://www.mcguckin.com/images/9401852_1.jpg Pffft

http://canada.frogtape.com/images/frogtape/ca/fr/frogtape-multi-surface.jpg

Used to hold together white flags since the 1700s.

ExtraSlow
06-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I always figured that tape was for taping the mouths of the Quebecois?

lasimmon
06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I always figured that tape was for taping the mouths of the Quebecois?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Made my night, thanks.

lasimmon
06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
double