PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Esprit - "fun car" Good Buy?

Sugarphreak
06-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Maxx Mazda
06-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I have always thought the Esprit's were amazing cars, so my opinion is a little biased. The mileage is extremely low, I'd pick that thing up in a heartbeat!

Kloubek
06-09-2012, 04:04 PM
They are still pretty great cars - but expensive to own and maintain. Do you really want that hassle?

CanmoreOrLess
06-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Love the car, so will your friends, the number of dealers is only slightly better than the Lada network. Run I would say, pick up another brand, you know Lotus has to be aggro when you are thinking Porsche and BMW would be cheaper to own and service. Like asking if you want a kick in the nuts or punch in the face, both are kinda gonna hurt.

http://www.lotuscars.com/ca/dealers-and-service-centres

m10-power
06-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Great cars but can be taxing to own. Great local enthusiast group, mostly newer V8 models but the chassis is the same as are lots of the parts. If you can wrench yourself its worth owning if you expect to find a local shop to fix it you'll end up broke. Fairly easy cars to work on and can be made to go very quick.

Couple places to get parts, I use these guys for their website to identify part numbers but dont order from them.

http://www.lotusgarage.com/

Buy from these guys

http://www.jaeparts.com/

Parts are actually quite reasonable.

The wheels on that one are terrible, if you do buy it I'll have my V8 wheels for sale which are very desireable for a good price.

Alak
06-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Theres a fella in medicine hat, I drive past his house all the time and he has like 4 lotus esprits. I always see him tinkerin with them, and they are all in fantastic condition. I bet he knows where to get parts haha.

kevie88
06-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Great cars but can be taxing to own. Great local enthusiast group, mostly newer V8 models but the chassis is the same as are lots of the parts. If you can wrench yourself its worth owning if you expect to find a local shop to fix it you'll end up broke. Fairly easy cars to work on and can be made to go very quick.

Couple places to get parts, I use these guys for their website to identify part numbers but dont order from them.

http://www.lotusgarage.com/

Buy from these guys

http://www.jaeparts.com/

Parts are actually quite reasonable.

The wheels on that one are terrible, if you do buy it I'll have my V8 wheels for sale which are very desireable for a good price.

What did you end up doing with yours? I love that thing!

Sugarphreak
06-09-2012, 11:34 PM

cam_wmh
06-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Gorgeous cars. Was just in Vegas for a car show where there was a prime example. That said, another fella on Eurodrivers has one, and he mentioned finding parts is tough, and then once found the cost.

For example, $2,500 for a new windshield.

Cody D
06-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Buy a Porsche, leave the old Lotus alone, especially for what you want the car for. A nice 964 is what you need.

CMW403
06-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
At some point I was planning to get something for the summer, a car I could take on a track or autox course and beat on a bit, but also use it for running around in during the summer too.

I've been seeing Esprit's in the 20K range come up for sale on and off Kijji for the past 5 or 6 years. Take this one as an example; it is a 1988 turbo (which is after the 87' redesign that resolved a lot of the issues with the brakes and transmission) with about 35K on the ODO.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1988-Lotus-Esprit-Turbo-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ381398385

It is kind of like the NSX in the sense that it isn't as amazing as it used to be when you compare it to modern cars, but is still an icon in it's own right. It also isn't that fast anymore, but still has the legs to get to 100km in under 6 seconds and can still do some unreal cornering with a sticky set of modern tires.

Another benefit is this will be a "classic" car pretty soon, which you can insure for quite a bit less than a modern car.

Now, I am not the kind of person that buys a summer car, then sticks it in the garage to collect dust... I want to actually use it. From what I have read the Esprit responds better to regular use than being a garage queen.

I have a couple of concerns though like; I have no idea...
-where I would even find parts for this car
-whom would service it if I had a major breakdown.
-If the only way I can look good driving it, is with a 70's handlebar mustache and a mullet

Being that there are a lot of enthusiasts on here that have comparable cars, I wouldn't mind hearing what your thoughts are. Is it worth picking up a car like this, or am I better off holding off and picking up something more modern like a Porsche Cayman or BMW 135i?

Whatever you do, please don't buy either of those.

m10-power
06-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by kevie88

What did you end up doing with yours? I love that thing!

Still have it. Finishing up the engine build can't wait to drive it again, such an awesome car. Need to update my build thread.

Originally posted by cam_wmh
Gorgeous cars. Was just in Vegas for a car show where there was a prime example. That said, another fella on Eurodrivers has one, and he mentioned finding parts is tough, and then once found the cost.

For example, $2,500 for a new windshield.

Parts are not tough to find nor is a windshield that expensive. Stay well away from the dealers for parts as with most any stealer they are expensive.

Kloubek
06-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by CMW403

Why is that? Both are good cars for what they are....?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by CMW403

Why? They are both fantastic drivers cars for less than a supercar. I still like the Esprit but if you were going to be driving lots I would probably get something newer and reliable like a Cayman, Boxster, or 135i.

zipdoa
06-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Get the V8 Turbo and then the NSX'ers can come at you bro

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-V2BN9uffGig/T5EZmnCe21I/AAAAAAAACi0/ErrGnnec6o8/s1600/LOTUS-ESPRIT-2.jpg

InRich
06-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Get the V8 Turbo and then the NSX'ers can come at you bro

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-V2BN9uffGig/T5EZmnCe21I/AAAAAAAACi0/ErrGnnec6o8/s1600/LOTUS-ESPRIT-2.jpg

that is such a nice car... makes me want one

Sugarphreak
06-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Cody D
06-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I love that era of porches actually, fantastic looking vehicles.

What I usually get turned off on is the interiors, they just don't look like a place you can spend a lot of time in comfortably.

It is a tough call. I love the unique styling of the Esprit, but ultimately I do want something reliable so that if I wanted to jump in it and drive to the Okanagan on a whim I could.

I've had two 964's, I've done a couple road trips of over 2000km's. I know Paul may disagree but I just don't think that the older Lotus' can be that reliable, my Elise was only reliable because the important parts were Toyota. I think if you are looking for a cool reliable car for serious mileage and track duty you have few options, the first two that come to mind are 911's and NSX's and after owning both the early 90's 911's would be my choice.

soobad
06-10-2012, 03:12 PM
For the same 35k budget I'd stretch it a bit and go for a 996TT or nice NSX.

Same "older, classy, quasi-exotic" type class; and much less worry about reliability, resale difficulty, & issues in general -- so you can focus on enjoying the thing (which is something you can't put a price on) :)

All that said, Esprit's are absolutely gorgeous cars.

Another option is to forgo that whole class of cars and get a nice C6 Vette for the same $ or less with double the performance, great reliability / mileage, usability etc.

ddduke
06-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Why?

Only my opinion, but I think both are girly cars.

n1zm0
06-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Ae86s have the same tail lights on the newer ones I think /myonlycontributiontothisthread

m10-power
06-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Cody D

I've had two 964's, I've done a couple road trips of over 2000km's. I know Paul may disagree but I just don't think that the older Lotus' can be that reliable, my Elise was only reliable because the important parts were Toyota. I think if you are looking for a cool reliable car for serious mileage and track duty you have few options, the first two that come to mind are 911's and NSX's and after owning both the early 90's 911's would be my choice.

They can be reliable but it depends, like with any car who does the maintenance. They have certains needs which once addressed can produce a very reliable ride. One big issue is they typically dont get driven enough, which is hard on seals, fuel pumps etc.

For ~$20k you not going to find anything 'exotic' to compare, but if your not capable of servicing most of it yourself I'd pass.

Sugarphreak
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM

thetransporter
06-11-2012, 11:18 AM
heres one

http://calgaryfinder.com/admin/photos/uploads/mucmdwiqsrod.jpg

http://calgaryfinder.com/detail.php?fatherID=40&TypeID=49&ListingID=630

HiTempguy1
06-11-2012, 12:38 PM
The owner of Das Autohaus in Red Deer now has one. While a long way to get a vehicle moved for work/repairs, Chris is one of the only mechanics I'd trust to do work on my cars.

He is also down in Vegas (or just came back?) from Wustefest (or whatever it's called now) having DRIVEN that car to Vegas and back.

Sugarphreak
06-11-2012, 01:11 PM

tirebob
06-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
The owner of Das Autohaus in Red Deer now has one. While a long way to get a vehicle moved for work/repairs, Chris is one of the only mechanics I'd trust to do work on my cars.

He is also down in Vegas (or just came back?) from Wustefest (or whatever it's called now) having DRIVEN that car to Vegas and back. +1 for Chris! Great wrench in general as well as a great guy, and as has one himself you can be sure he knows to to work on it!

cam_wmh
06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

He is also down in Vegas (or just came back?) from Wustefest (or whatever it's called now) having DRIVEN that car to Vegas and back.

Yep, we both put our cars in Wuste, and he's who mentioned a $2,500 windshield.

Solid guy.