PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter that isn't peanut butter.

ZenOps
06-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Dambit gumby.

I just bought a 1kilo jar of Kraft peanut butter, and lo and behold, my tastebuds do not lie - it is most definitely not peanut butter.

Its some sort of filbert mismash of some other nuts. After a lifetime of eating peanut butter I know when someone been messing with the formula.

Disoblige
06-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Hmm, maybe you should buy organic! Costs more of course b/c peanuts are expensive ;)

http://thenakedlabel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/is-your-peanut-butter-wearing-a-disguise_body2.png

dj_rice
06-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Make your own. Quite simply actually

Kardon
06-10-2012, 12:31 AM
which type of kraft pb did u buy? I just bought some organic stuff for the first time and it tastes completely different from what I'm used to (kraft).

Hallowed_point
06-10-2012, 01:38 AM
I hear that lower nickel content in the peanut fields is affecting the flavor :dunno:

Davetronz
06-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Dambit gumby.

I just bought a 1kilo jar of Kraft peanut butter, and lo and behold, my tastebuds do not lie - it is most definitely not peanut butter.

Its some sort of filbert mismash of some other nuts. After a lifetime of eating peanut butter I know when someone been messing with the formula.
I actually just bought a jar of Kraft PB last week (not sure of the size, its the larger one, but not Costco-sized). I found it "off" in texture and taste from what I'm used to. It's not bad or spoiled, its just quite different from the jar I finished the day before.

msommers
06-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Make your own. Quite simply actually

I'm listening!

Kardon
06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I hear that lower nickel content in the peanut fields is affecting the flavor :dunno:

That's nuts!

wintonyk
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
some safeways you can get them to make the peanut butter right before your eyes.

Personally I always buy the Adam's Natural Peanut butter.

sillysod
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't understand why peanut butter ever requires sugar. :barf: Peanuts are NOT supposed to be sweet. Its like honey on meat.

.jl-
06-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
I don't understand why peanut butter ever requires sugar. :barf: Peanuts are NOT supposed to be sweet. Its like honey on meat.
honey on meat is amazing!

Toma
06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by .jl-

honey on meat is amazing!
Honey Garlic wings! ;)

But I agree, peanut butter uses all the other shit, and sweetener as preservative.

As a kid, we had toast with peanut butter and honey.

abyss
06-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Just get the Kraft natural. http://www.kraftpeanutbutter.com/media/files/products/all-natural_.png It's just peanuts. Goes on sale all the time too for like $4-$5 a jar.

Kritafo
06-14-2012, 01:48 PM
http://babyparenting.about.com/od/snackrecipes/r/peanutbutter.htm

it's super easy, just remember to store peanut butter in a sealed container in the fridge. It will be good for 2 weeks.

Darkane
06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by abyss
Just get the Kraft natural. http://www.kraftpeanutbutter.com/media/files/products/all-natural_.png It's just peanuts. Goes on sale all the time too for like $4-$5 a jar.

Superstore also has a natural house brand.

Much cheaper, but Ingredients is just nuts.

msouther
06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I buy unsalted peanuts bulk @ grocery store. Throw them in blender and blend the hell out of them. It turns into the best chunky peanut butter with no additives right before your eyes. Seriously, I couldn't believe that is all that had to be done.

I would just do smaller batches and as mentioned on the link above, put it in a container which is sealable. Put it in the fridge and it will be good for a couple weeks at least. Enjoy!

Kritafo
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by msouther
I buy unsalted peanuts bulk @ grocery store. Throw them in blender and blend the hell out of them. It turns into the best chunky peanut butter with no additives right before your eyes. Seriously, I couldn't believe that is all that had to be done.

I would just do smaller batches and as mentioned on the link above, put it in a container which is sealable. Put it in the fridge and it will be good for a couple weeks at least. Enjoy!

this is exactly what we do...so we aren't adding oil, I do sometimes blend half salted and hlaf unsalted just for a little more flavour. It's awesome with beef and onion skewers.

msommers
06-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I've been looking more into this and it seems that the brands that cold-press the nuts are better as more nutrients are retained. Anyone know of a brand that does this or should I scope out Community Foods?