PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Equipment Jobs on the Oil Patch

Maybelater
06-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes, time for another oil thread.

I'm planning on going to work up north soon, I've read the threads here, read the threads there and got advice from friends and acquaintances. I have a pretty strong idea of what I need to do if I wanted to work as a lease-hand/rig bitch.

But, a friend who works with heavy equipment up there suggested it as a better job with good pay. What is doing construction work like up there? Any advice on where one would start looking for jobs like that? Would it be the same deal by driving up to Nisku or Brooks? How about rock truck drivers? Or just general construction labourer? He said the work is busy and many places are short staff, but I have trouble thinking most places want a total green-horn running their equipment and I figure you would be looking for jobs with construction companies opposed to oil ones.

I'm still thinking just taking the roughneck route as the simplest and more straight forward though, but I'd need to bulk up first, lol.

ExtraSlow
06-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Flint is looking for several positions in Anzac, Conklin and other scenic destinations around Fort Mac.
Companies like PCL, Black Diamond, Horizon North and others are hiring for people with no experience.

Roughneck is also an option.

Maybelater
06-10-2012, 07:42 PM
From reading the other threads on here, I should have just Pm'd you, thanks for the leads!

dirtsniffer
06-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Teck is always hiring truck operators. boring as shit, but good pay. and living here is way better than the mac.

I can post the wage tomorrow if you're interested

ExtraSlow
06-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, working for Teck in the crowsnest would be miles better than working in Fort mac.

Maybelater
06-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I've had plenty of boring jobs and done just fine, I'm pretty good at keeping myself stimulated, so let me know dirtsniffer.

Wouldn't a job in town pay a lot less then a camp type job though?

Penis McNickels
06-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Flint is looking for several positions in Anzac, Conklin and other scenic destinations around Fort Mac.
Companies like PCL, Black Diamond, Horizon North and others are hiring for people with no experience.

Roughneck is also an option.

Are these guys looking to hire equipment operators or just roughnecks? I assume PCL would be.

I have a brother that is looking to get out of Vancouver and head to Fort Mac.

He's been driving a large forklift (I don't know... 15 - 30 tons) for that past 7 or 8 years at a lumber yard and would like to stick with heavy equipment, assuming his experience is transferable.

Thanks

Maybelater
06-10-2012, 11:36 PM
I have the same type of experience doing warehousing and from what I've gathered regardless of past experience he should be able to find plenty of jobs since places are hiring with zero experience as indicated above.

I figure like many jobs like this though, mad over-time isn't just an option, it is expected. The only downfall is bad weather can leave you without work, my friend hasn't worked for a whole week now because of the rain.

ExtraSlow
06-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Honestly, you'll have to check the websites and give them a call if you have specific questions. I'm not a recruiter.

However, if you have equipment experience, I'd say your odds of getting an equipment operating job are pretty good.

If it was me, I'd go work for Teck, then ski in the winter and fish in the summer. Hinton and Sparwood aren't exactly new york, but they are better than Fort Mac IMO, and lower housing prices.

dirtsniffer
06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
34 an hour for a truck operator