PDA

View Full Version : diff -u 1985.AE86 1986-87.AE86

moojester
02-05-2004, 12:25 PM
So what are the differences between a 85 and the 86-87 Corolla GTS?

Is TVIS only on 85's?

Are any parts different?

What's with the black small hatch
spoiler? Is this an indication of a particular
year? I've seen som GTS without any spoiler at all.. Is this stock or do people
do that?

Info!
=p

Cueman
02-05-2004, 02:08 PM
info? ... www.club4ag.com

It's all in Tech Reference

TVIS is on both

Grill is different, the 85 hatchback came with a rear spoiler, the later ones did not. Interior's are slightly different over EACH year.

And then there are minor mechanical differences.

GTS Jeff
02-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by moojester
So what are the differences between a 85 and the 86-87 Corolla GTS?

Is TVIS only on 85's?

Are any parts different?

What's with the black small hatch
spoiler? Is this an indication of a particular
year? I've seen som GTS without any spoiler at all.. Is this stock or do people
do that?

Info!
=p

84-85 (zenki=japanese for early)
86-87(kouki=japanese for late)

for the usdm versions, there arent many external differences. the front grill and tails are slightly different. kouki models got a nicer interior. enginewise they are the same except that the kouki engine a couple stronger engine parts here and there...there are bigger exterior differences for the jdm models.

honestly i like usdm zenki model more, but id probably go for the kouki just for the velvety interior :)

moojester
02-05-2004, 09:02 PM
thanks guys =p

You rule. The line i have is on a kouki hachiroku.

Interior isn't to big of a deal.. i would
be interested to find out about the engine details..

Thanks.. I'll check out cub4ag to see if i can find the differences.

moo

!

googe
02-06-2004, 01:09 AM
hah, totally nerdy subject line :P

GTS Jeff
02-06-2004, 01:55 AM
thanks guys =p

You rule. The line i have is on a kouki hachiroku.

Interior isn't to big of a deal.. i would
be interested to find out about the engine details..

Thanks.. I'll check out cub4ag to see if i can find the differences.

moo

! hehe there isnt enough of a difference in the engine to really care :)

moojester
02-06-2004, 03:24 PM
great.

thanks.

I never cool find any explicit differences on clubag in the tech section thou.

i may be missing it.

GTS Jeff
02-06-2004, 11:15 PM
great.

thanks.

I never cool find any explicit differences on clubag in the tech section thou.

i may be missing it. here it is:

The stock 4A-G connecting rod came in two major variations. The smaller rods were available in early 4A-Gs, while the larger versions were available on later models. The variations differ in 2mm in the big end and piston pin bore diameters. The OEM piston wrist pin diameter was available as either 18mm or 20mm. The smaller diameter pin was pressed fit into the connecting rod (not requiring clips to hold the pin in the piston). Later models floated the piston pin (requiring clips to hold the pin in the piston). The large “big end” was available as either 40mm or 42mm diameter. Ideally the larger diameter is preferred, because of its greater load carrying capacity. However it is slightly heavier.

moojester
02-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Ok!.
Awesome Jeff. Thanks =p

So from reading that it would seem that it would be lighter,
and not as strong, better reving? But probably such a small
differnece that you would only notice the strength issue
if you tried to boost two of the engines to the limit of
the engine.

Is it possible, during a rebuild to upgrade this? Basicly i'm asking
if any other differences in the engine would be required for
having longer conneting rods with the floated piston?

GTS Jeff
02-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Ok!.
Awesome Jeff. Thanks =p

So from reading that it would seem that it would be lighter,
and not as strong, better reving? But probably such a small
differnece that you would only notice the strength issue
if you tried to boost two of the engines to the limit of
the engine.

Is it possible, during a rebuild to upgrade this? Basicly i'm asking
if any other differences in the engine would be required for
having longer conneting rods with the floated piston? i think its a small enough difference to really not care/notice. if u are gona be doing engine work at all for some serious power, u would definitely want to swap out the bluetop. boosting a stock bluetop to its limits is like 150hp hehe :D

oh yea, i just remembered that the kouki models have slightly bigger axles. again, not a big deal :D

Redlyne_mr2
02-08-2004, 12:26 AM
that damn 4age engine was offered in so many varieties..for instance I was working on my new engine today. It was the first time I really got the chance to look at it closely, I noticed that the intake manifold was different then a normal usdm one. It has all these extra plugs and no hole in the back for the egr system. Then I noticed that there were no holes in the oil pan for the oil cooler lines. I knew i bought a 7rib 4age but i have no idea what kidn of 7rib this is:dunno:

moojester
02-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

oh yea, i just remembered that the kouki models have slightly bigger axles. again, not a big deal :D

ahh.. this kinda sucks.

Perhaps i should not get this 1985.

Seems like toyota would be pretty smart about this. Smaller axels makes for easy breakage. Are you refering to the rear drive axels?

are there any issues with an aftermarket or OEM j-spec LSD in a 1985?

GTS Jeff
02-08-2004, 12:20 PM

ahh.. this kinda sucks.

Perhaps i should not get this 1985.

Seems like toyota would be pretty smart about this. Smaller axels makes for easy breakage. Are you refering to the rear drive axels?

are there any issues with an aftermarket or OEM j-spec LSD in a 1985? !!!!

the most improtant thing ive been trying to say all along is that the differences are minor and nothing to worry about! until u start making serious power, either axle will be fine, and if u are making serious power, then u will be both snapping them, zenki or kouki.

and as for issues with aftermarket, well when u buy the lsd u get a year specific one. kaaz, cusco, trd all offer corolla lsds in zenki and kouki so u are fine.

so in conclusion, no zenkis dont suck and u would never ever in a million years notice a performance difference.

moojester
02-08-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm not suggesting i would notice a performance difference. I'm suggesting that the toyota engineers did.

I'm not concerned about making serious power, i'm concerned with getting a corolla worth putting money into, something that i will have for a little while, so the late models is more appealing, that's all.

I'm not going to wander off and by a Celica GTS instead because of the minor differences (unless it was an all-track for nice price)

Thanks for the info on the Diff.

Where does everyone get parts for these? Is PE-T a good place in edmonton.

Where is a good Toyota Shop for Getting Inspections Done?

GTS Jeff
02-08-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm not suggesting i would notice a performance difference. I'm suggesting that the toyota engineers did.

I'm not concerned about making serious power, i'm concerned with getting a corolla worth putting money into, something that i will have for a little while, so the late models is more appealing, that's all.

I'm not going to wander off and by a Celica GTS instead because of the minor differences (unless it was an all-track for nice price)

Thanks for the info on the Diff.

Where does everyone get parts for these? Is PE-T a good place in edmonton.

Where is a good Toyota Shop for Getting Inspections Done?

i think u should be more worried about rust than anything else :)

AutodreamMarvin
02-08-2004, 02:19 PM
For Toyota, go check out Silverstone Motorsports. I can't remember where it was though. It's right across the street from a Mcdonalds off of Gateway and... ahh shit. Just go look in the phone book. They've got some nice cars there too. ie. ma70 supra n/a converted to turbo, making 400+whp, tons of sw20 mr2's, a couple all-trac celicas, and a TRD widebody starlet with 4age and twin-side carb setup.

For old-skool toyotas, or tuning toyotas in general, i'd go with these guys.

moojester
02-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

i think u should be more worried about rust than anything else :)

that goes without saying =p

rust is the devil.

I'm planning on getting it on a hoist and taking a shitload of pictures of the underboady and then under the carpet in the front and the rear.

The car has had touch up paint on the rear fenders.. Are those weird little rust detector things that work through paint.. do they work?
moo

thx

moojester
02-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by brbHPR
For Toyota, go check out Silverstone Motorsports. I can't remember where it was though. these guys.

Cool

I'll give them a shout.

GTS Jeff
02-08-2004, 09:04 PM

Cool

I'll give them a shout. if u are dealing with raymond, dont expect him to even acknowledge u until u actually own a corolla haha. even when u do he will be quite rude...altho he does know a lot and does good work.

another place u might wana check out is TT automotive.

moojester
02-09-2004, 05:22 PM
mm