PDA

View Full Version : Part Source Erases Database

Modelexis
06-12-2012, 08:16 AM
According to my local part source monkeys, the company has made the decision to create a new upgraded database.

If you shop at part source, and like me, you do this primarily because you lose things and receipts more specifically.
It's nice at part source because you just give them your phone number and they can issue warranty on parts.

I went in to get warranty on some headlight bulbs that keep burning up and he advised me that because of the database switch there is no record of my purchase.

His understanding was that a government regulation prevents the company from transferring information into the new database. Whether this is true or not, the fact is all the records are erased.

Anyone else experience this or have any more factual information on the subject?

revelations
06-12-2012, 09:06 AM
The only time I can see this happening is if the company moved their dbase location from Canada to OUTSIDE the country.

toastgremlin
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by revelations
The only time I can see this happening is if the company moved their dbase location from Canada to OUTSIDE the country. Or they went with the absolute most bottom-basement POS provider they could find. Which probably also means that it's left the country.

It's convenient that they did this around the same time you need warranty for something, huh? I bet if you bought something brand new from them and came back the next day to get warranty they'd give you the same excuse.

Modelexis
06-13-2012, 08:15 AM
I know what their database shell looks like and the new one has a noticeably different GUI, which makes me believe that it's not just a scam to not award my warranty.

speedog
06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Couple of things - there is now law concerning not being able to transfer infromation from one database to another unless they're trying to cop out under the Access to Information Act and Privacy Act. I suppose that that there may be some obscure crud in that act that may affect things such as database transfers.

As far as the warranty thing - that's why you keep your receipts. We track our customer's purchases in our shop by telephone numbers and have pulled up old receipts to confirm a purchase when the customer wasn't able to produce a receipt for some returned goods, but that is done as a favour only and it is made known to all customers that a receipt is required unless we can confirm the past sale otherwise. A good reason for this is people that come into our shop trying to return things that we don't even sell - something that would look very similar to what we do sell, possibly even from the same manufacturer whose line we stock, just that we don't stock all of that line. Receipts - keep them, put them in a shoe box in the garage. For headlights I've purchased - the receipt gets stapled to the original packaging and store away in the garage, has come in quite handy when going in for the free replacement.

Dirting on Partsource - silly really, step up to the plate and be a little bit more responsible for yourself. Too many people on Beyond piss and moan about big businesses/corporations and government having too much control and then these same people will turn around and whine that these same old big bad guys aren't doing enough for them - which way do you want it?

speedog
06-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
I know what their database shell looks like and the new one has a noticeably different GUI, which makes me believe that it's not just a scam to not award my warranty. With enough monies spent, a database could be massaged and transferred - it is just data after all.

Modelexis
06-13-2012, 08:50 AM
I made the economic decision to rely on their system for invoices. I gained the ability to not have to file and keep track of receipts, and the other side of the coin is that I assumed the risk that my records were being held by someone with no contractual obligation to retain that information.

I made the choice, I can't really get angry at anyone here, it's more of a heads up for other people that might rely on partsource to keep their records.

It's just one of those risks you take when you offload the hassle of filing your own receipts.

cycosis
06-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Im more pissed about their part finder application on their website being down for almost a year now. That thing was so freakin helpful last year when I rebuilt my 360.