PDA

View Full Version : So how fucked am I?

Vagabond142
06-12-2012, 08:50 PM
I just got a new beater, to replace the Civic. I was thinking that these three spots would be able to be ground out and filled with fiberglass/body primer, and then my brother took at look at it (he does a lot of fiberglassing and body work on his own cars) and stated that the mid roof stuff can be ground out and filled, but the three big patches along the windshield will need to actually be cut completely out and have new metal welded in.

Opinions? Keep in mind I am wanting to keep this car a maximum of 3 years, so the plan is to grind out, rust-kill, fiber-fill, then rust-proof and primer, but not repaint to body color. I just need it to survive 2-3 years at the most

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_1136.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_1137.jpg

Car is a 1994 Mazda 626 DX

EDIT: The windshield is going to be replaced soon (next 60-90 days) as it is a safety issue, but I want to do body work before that.

DeeK
06-12-2012, 08:53 PM
if you're only keeping it for a few years then yes, you can jury rig it to work using some bondo and such. But any longer and you would need metal welded in there to keep the roof from leaking. Rust around windows is ALWAYS a problem area, as the seals never properly sit in there again without major surgery.

Vagabond142
06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah, this is a "survival" car to last for a couple of years so I can build up $5-$10K and get a decently new (used) car, like a mid 2000's Mazda3/6 or a Dodge SX2.0 or something along those lines.

I have ~$1500 to invest into the car over the rest of the summer, and I will be right up front and say it: I blow the donkey's dick at welding :(

I wonder if a sheet of actual glass fiber with filler would work better than just bondo filler, as the fiber can be shaped to resemble the natural curve of the body and have some actual structural rigidity to it....

Rat Fink
06-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Vagabond142
06-12-2012, 09:08 PM
^^^^^^^ along those lines, I could also take the glass out myself and just have one of those mobile windshield glass trucks come by once repairs are finished. Might be a little more expensive, but relieves time pressure.

Thaco
06-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
^^^^^^^ along those lines, I could also take the glass out myself and just have one of those mobile windshield glass trucks come by once repairs are finished. Might be a little more expensive, but relieves time pressure. IMO that wont cause you problems in the next 3 years, just drive it.

bourge73
06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Sand it down, Bondo it, and paint it, and the hood flat black, and sell it to some punk in the NE, done and done.

Vagabond142
06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Sand it down, Bondo it, and paint it, and the hood flat black, and sell it to some punk in the NE, done and done.

QFT >_>