PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2012-2013 Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

D'z Nutz
06-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Since the playoffs are over, may as well start a new thread.

This news sort of came out of nowhere. Gelinas back with the Flames, but as assistant coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398379

GELINAS BACK IN CALGARY AS FLAMES' ASSISTANT COACH

CALGARY -- Former Calgary Flames forward Martin Gelinas is back with the team as an assistant coach.

Gelinas will join new head coach Bob Hartley, assistant coach Jacques Cloutier and goaltending coal Clint Malarchuk for the 2012-13 season.

He was director of player development for the Nashville Predators for the past three seasons.

Gelinas played 20 seasons in the NHL for the Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques, Vancouver Canucks, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, Predators and Flames. He won a Stanley Cup with the Oilers in 1990.

He spent two seasons with the Flames from 2002 to 2004. During Calgary's run to the Stanley Cup final in 2004, Gelinas scored three goals that clinched a playoff series win, including two in overtime.

He almost scored another go-ahead goal in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final versus the Tampa Bay Lightning. With Calgary leading the series 3-2, Gelinas appeared to deflect the puck over the goal-line, but no goal was awarded.

colinxx235
06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Hopefully him and Bob ignite the flames. Now just waiting for some good July 1st action from Feaster!

spikerS
06-14-2012, 11:22 AM
I have great faith in Bob, and high hopes.

Things I hope to see this July 1st...

Kipper gets traded, in return we get a decent 1st rounder, and a SOLID left winger.

Irving brought up, and gets a ton of experience between the pipes.

Sven being brought up, and having Iggy mentor the crap out of him.

Get rid of JBo. I don't care how, give him away, buy out his contract, whatever, just get rid of him.

Bring in a solid couple young defence that are powerful in the corners and can grind, and know how to stay in shooting lanes.

Stop with trying to spring Iggy all the time with him cherry picking the offensive blue line all the time.

I think the above would be a great start to rebuilding the Flames, and get us on the right track.

sputnik
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by spikers
I have great faith in Bob, and high hopes.

Things I hope to see this July 1st...

Kipper gets traded, in return we get a decent 1st rounder, and a SOLID left winger.

Irving brought up, and gets a ton of experience between the pipes.

Sven being brought up, and having Iggy mentor the crap out of him.

Get rid of JBo. I don't care how, give him away, buy out his contract, whatever, just get rid of him.

Bring in a solid couple young defence that are powerful in the corners and can grind, and know how to stay in shooting lanes.

Stop with trying to spring Iggy all the time with him cherry picking the offensive blue line all the time.

I think the above would be a great start to rebuilding the Flames, and get us on the right track.

No team would give up a first rounder for Kipper.

That said, getting rid of Kipper or Iginla along with a few million more in cap space will be critical for rebuilding. They will need to free up at LEAST $10 million in cap space to be able to sign good young talent.

As it stand right now, signing Sven puts them $1 million over cap (assuming everyone else was signed for the same money they were getting last year).

colinxx235
06-14-2012, 12:48 PM
^

you don't think someone would give up a first rounder for kipper assuming he signed a contract extension agreement?

He is still one of the best goalies in the league :dunno:

sputnik
06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

you don't think someone would give up a first rounder for kipper assuming he signed a contract extension agreement?

He is still one of the best goalies in the league :dunno:

He also turns 36 at the beginning of the season.

How many teams are looking for a high priced goalie that might last 2-3 years and have a first round pick to burn?

bulaian
06-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

How many teams are looking for a high priced goalie that might last 2-3 years and have a first round pick to burn?

Tampa has 2, 1st round picks. #10 and #19(From Detroit) and are in need of a good goalie

R-Audi
06-14-2012, 01:21 PM

As it stand right now, signing Sven puts them $1 million over cap (assuming everyone else was signed for the same money they were getting last year).

Very silly assumption. Especially when there are 9 players that are either UFA or RFA. A conservative guess would be half retained, half let go. Plus there is no cap set for next year...

sputnik
06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Very silly assumption. Especially when there are 9 players that are either UFA or RFA. A conservative guess would be half retained, half let go. Plus there is no cap set for next year...

Just because you let go of players doesn't mean you don't have to replace them. Who are the Flames going to sign once they dump Sarich, Moss, Joker and Backlund?

Additionally, the only reason there isn't a set cap for next year is because the CBA hasn't been signed and the cap is still TBD. Rest assured there will be a cap next year if there are skates on the ice.

max_boost
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Trade Iggy and Kipper where? and for what?

R-Audi
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Just because you let go of players doesn't mean you don't have to replace them. Who are the Flames going to sign once they dump Sarich, Moss, Joker and Backlund?

Additionally, the only reason there isn't a set cap for next year is because the CBA hasn't been signed and the cap is still TBD. Rest assured there will be a cap next year if there are skates on the ice.

Not saying there wont be a cap... but with the new CBA its near impossible to guess if its way higher, the same or way lower. Jokinen has basically been replaced.. I expect Backlund back around the same salary, Sarich and Hannan are basically gone (They were last year when the young guys were healthy) and Moss role can be filled by quite a few young guys.

My best guess is:
Comeau: gone
Kostop: gone
Hannan: gone
Sarich: gone
Moss: gone
Jokinen: gone

And most if not all would be replaced by cheaper players. Especially when looking at Sarich and Comeau. (~5.5 combined??)

spikerS
06-14-2012, 03:37 PM

I fully expect Brodeur to retire this year, I think they would be very much in the hunt for luongo or kipper.

D'z Nutz
06-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Marty's already stated he has no intentions of retiring this year and plans on playing for at least a couple more seasons.

lasimmon
06-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Tampa has arguably the best young goalie in their system. Won the Calder cup with Norfolk playin absolutely lights out.

Bob and Martin are just new captains on the titanic.

I suspect a 9th-12th finish in the west for the flames.

spikerS
06-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Interesting Talk around Brent Sutter, and the Oilers wanting him....

If I was to bet on who’ll coach the Oilers next year, I’d say Krueger is 2-1 choice, Brent Sutter is 4-1 and Cooper, the best coach in the AHL, would be 10-1 because I’m not sure GM Steve Tambellini would step out of the box and go young with a guy who’s had no NHL experience. Cooper, 44, wouldn’t fit as an associate coach. If they were to hire him, they would have a more established NHL guy as his right-hand man. Krueger has never been an NHL head man, but he’s a world-ranked coach with his long standing with the Swiss national team. His plus is he knows the Oiler players better than anybody else. Sutter would be very good, too, but I’ve heard the Flames won’t grant permission to let the Oilers talk to him until his Flames contract runs out June 30.

source (http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/06/19/are-the-calgary-flames-standing-between-the-edmonton-oilers-and-brent-sutter/)

bulaian
06-21-2012, 01:18 PM
2012-2013 schedule is up
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635265

Freeskier
06-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Buddy of mine mentioned Jagr coming to Calgary. Only a rumor so far, and I hope it stays just that.

Type_S1
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Freeskier
Buddy of mine mentioned Jagr coming to Calgary. Only a rumor so far, and I hope it stays just that.

If you look at our track record I wouldn't doubt it...we like signing washed up players and paying them like they are still top line guys.

spikerS
06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=11&id=181673&cmpid=embed-share-video

live coverage of the draft. Flames are drafting 14th.

spikerS
06-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Flames just traded their 14th 1st round pick to buffalo for their 21st 1st round pick and 42nd 2nd round pick.

I want to facepalm this, but this years draft I just don't think is that deep, even at 14th. I really want to face palm this, but can't help but think it doesn't matter at all...

arktrance
06-22-2012, 07:10 PM
I was really hoping Flames would land Tervainen but they had to go and trade down with the Sabres... I really don't know what to say anymore....... :banghead: :banghead:

Type_S1
06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Flames I guess think quantity is better then quality.

believe
06-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Sometimes i really don't feel like i know where this team is going....we keep hearing "rebuild" every so often but then..sigh

bulaian
06-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Mark Jankowski... TSN rank #41 chosen 21st overall by the Flames

jampack
06-22-2012, 07:53 PM
I think that is a very good pick.

npham
06-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by jampack
I think that is a very good pick.

How could you think this is a very good pick? It's high risk, high reward. With the lack of prospects in the Flames system, you would have to think they would go with someone with a "better" chance of making the NHL team in a couple of years. This won't help them for 2-4 years minimum.

88CRX
06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by npham

How could you think this is a very good pick? It's high risk, high reward. With the lack of prospects in the Flames system, you would have to think they would go with someone with a "better" chance of making the NHL team in a couple of years. This won't help them for 2-4 years minimum.

Its a good pick because the upside is huge.... for once!

How many grinders or stay at home defencemen have we drafted in teh last decade? At this point, go big or go home.

jampack
06-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Its a good pick because the upside is huge.... for once!

How many grinders or stay at home defencemen have we drafted in teh last decade? At this point, go big or go home.

This.

npham
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
I just don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened. There were so many "better" picks that would have been solid NHL players in Maatta, Matheson, Gaunce and Samuelsson. All these 4 players will crack the NHL in the near future, but I'm not so sure about Jankowski. I think he would have been available with the pick the Flames got from trading down, then they could have had one of the 4 I mentioned. You take the "safe" pick and then you get your high risk pick as well. But maybe he doesn't fall that far in the 2nd. Not too many were that high on him going in the first round.

mac_82
06-22-2012, 09:59 PM
The thing that kills me is that if the Flames didn't win the last few games of the season we could have Filip Forsberg, Mikhail Grigorenko, or Radek Faksa right now.

mdeluxe
06-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Stanley Cup contenders in 2025.. woohoo :clap:

arktrance
06-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
The thing that kills me is that if the Flames didn't win the last few games of the season we could have Filip Forsberg, Mikhail Grigorenko, or Radek Faksa right now.

I was thinking the exact same thing after seeing Forsberg fall down to 11th!

88CRX
06-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Feaster was interviewed on the fan and said he knew of 2 teams that would have picked him before the Flames 2nd round pick.

08chargersrt8
06-22-2012, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't of mattered if we pick 14 or 21 . Fact of the matter is most of out prospects either never get a chance or are traded to a team where they become something in the NHL . The only prospect that seems to have any hope on the flames is Sven bartschi . But that's I my cause we had I injuries last year and we had no choice but to play him . Let's just hope he shows similar sign this year as last .

Freeskier
06-23-2012, 06:29 AM
I'm gonna go with In Feaster I trust. Every decision he's made has impressed me.
Sounds good to me...

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=182588&navid=DL|CGY|home

D'z Nutz
06-23-2012, 11:13 AM
You gotta give Feaster credit on one thing: he managed to get the guy he wanted from the start and squeeze a second round pick. That was a pretty ballsy gamble.

Quizzes
06-23-2012, 12:27 PM
I noticed Feaster and crew has been selecting a lot of Americans lately. There may be more Americans than Canadians in the next few years.

afrotl
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
The Flames have extended qualifying offers to 5 players ~

Goaltender

Leland Irving

Forwards

Akim Aliu

Mikael Backlund

Paul Byron

Blair Jones

The following players did not receive qualifying offers:

Blake Comeau

Ryley Grantham

Logan MacMillan

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635991

spikerS
06-25-2012, 12:41 PM
So Leland got an offer, I think the Flames are ready to shop Kipper...

Team_Mclaren
06-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by spikers
So Leland got an offer, I think the Flames are ready to shop Kipper...

there's no way Leland wouldnt get an offer, regardless if we shop kipper or not.

Quizzes
06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
It's easier to give a qualifying offer than have them become UFA and get nothing for it.

alien
06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
List of players that DID NOT receive QO's:

Anaheim Ducks:
Riley Holzapfel
Rick Shofield
Dale Mitchell
Iiro Tarkki

Boston Bruins:
Not yet reported.

Buffalo Sabres:
None.

Calgary Flames:
Riley Grantham
Logan MacMillan
Blake Comeau

Carolina Hurricanes:
Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll
Matthew Pistilli
Kyle Lawson

Chicago Blackhawks:
Not yet reported.

Colorado Avalanche:
Kevin Porter
Peter Mueller

Columbus Blue Jackets:
Brent Regner
Taylor Ellington
Shawn Hunwick

Dallas Stars:
Angelo Esposito
Mikhail Stefanovich
Michael Neal
Jake Hauswirth

Detroit Red Wings:
Travis Ehrhardt
Logan Pyett

Edmonton Oilers:
Cam Barker
Milan Kytnar

Florida Panthers:
Wojtek Wolski
Ondrej Roman
Keith Seabrook
Justin Bernhardt

LA Kings:
Ray Kaunisto

Minnesota Wild:
Kris Fredeim
Nick Johnson
Guillaume Latendresse

Montreal Canadiens:
Michael Blunden
Petteri Nokelainen
Mark Mitera
Hunter Bishop
Olivier Fornier
Robert Slaney
Andrew Conboy
Danny Masse

Nashville Predators:
Zach "Huggy Bear" Stortini
Jack Hillen
Brodie Dupont
Ryan Flynn
Atte Engren

New Jersey Devils:
Timo Pielmeier
Kory Nagy

New York Rangers:
Andreas Thuresson
Lee Baldwin
Francois Bouchard
Sam Klassen
Chris Campbell

New York Islanders:
Tyler McNeely
Tony Romano
Yannick Reindeau
Yuri Alexandrov

Ottawa Senators:
Craig Schira

Phoenix Coyotes:
Gilbert Brule
Colin Long
Nick Ross

Philadelphia Flyers:
Mike Testwuide
Andrew Rowe

Pittsburgh Penguins:
Cal O'Reilly
Mattias Modig
Boris Valabik
Casey Pierro-Zabotel
Alexandre Picard

San Jose Sharks:
Tony Lucia
Cam MacIntyre
James Marcou
Benn Ferriero
Tyson Sexsmith

St. Louis Blues:
None.

Tampa Bay Lightning:
Benoit Pouliot
Sebastian Piche

Toronto Maple Leafs:
Marcel Mueller
Karbinian Holzer

Vancouver Canucks:
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Mike Duco
Victor Oreskovich
Ryan Parent

Washington Capitals:
None.

Winnipeg Jets:
Michael Forney
Eric Fehr
John Negrin
Fredrik Pettersson

Gragnani is interesting.

toyboy88
06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Flames trade for, and sign, Dennis Wideman (from WSH).

5 years, AVA at $5.25 mil.

Link: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636252

toyboy88
06-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Also re-signing Comeau at 1 year for $1.25M.

D'z Nutz
06-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
AVA at $5.25 mil.

Fuck that's brutal.

spikerS
06-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Flames trade for, and sign, Dennis Wideman (from WSH).

5 years, AVA at $5.25 mil.

Link: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636252

I would have been happier at a million less, but hopefully, this means Jblow will hit the streets, and to me, if that happens, I am fine with the $5.25.

Also re-signing Comeau at 1 year for $1.25M.

I am cool with that.

sputnik
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Fuck that's brutal.

No kidding. Who in their right mind thinks that Wideman is worth anything close to that?

toyboy88
06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Fuck that's brutal.

Whoops typo, just noticed I put AVA instead of 'AAV' (average annual value).

But yeah, couple thoughts from twitter as well:

- Wonder how Giordano, who took hometown discount at $4M AAV, feels about ownership giving Wideman $5.25M?

- Does this mean JayBo is finally on his way out? Rumours are St. Louis is the main suitor at the moment.

88CRX
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Do you guys realize what UFA dmen men usually get contract wise :nut:

Not a BAD deal.

Wideman can play the powerplay, shoots right, and has offensive upside. I'll take it. Will look a lot better once Bouwmester is moved.

BeyondNewB
06-27-2012, 01:46 PM
great deal, for a d man who was top 10 in goals and assists. and top 25 in ice time.

What else are you looking for?

beyond_ban
06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I like it. Solid player and compared to past signings we didn't over pay all that much. Once the smooth skating JayBo takes his stride elsewhere we will be in good shape. Fingers crossed we can lure Parise although im not holding my breath.

alien
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I also don't think he is here to replace bouwmeester. Different type of player. Still good for a top 4 role. Cy'a butler.

bulaian
06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah he's a different type of defenseman than JBo but that doesn't mean I still wouldn't like to see Jbo get a trade.

We can pickup another skating defenseman who doesn't throw checks for much less money.

88CRX
06-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Boumeester will NOT be a Flame next season.

Right now $15mill on top 3 dmen will not fly.

lasimmon
06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Will have a VERY hard time trading JBO. Very little to no value.

Quizzes
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Not bad getting him for $5.25/yr, but for 5 years? Damn!
I was really hoping Babchuk can rekindle the PP now that Brent is gone. Oh well, right-handed d-men are hard to find.

88CRX
06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Will have a VERY hard time trading JBO. Very little to no value.

We get Wideman for basically nothing which now allows us to dump Bouwmeester for next to nothing.

lasimmon
06-27-2012, 02:29 PM

We get Wideman for basically nothing which now allows us to dump Bouwmeester for next to nothing.

Um no. Wideman was a UFA and indicated he didn't wanna return to Wash. You traded for his rights.

JBO is on contract = him being almost worthless.

88CRX
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Um no. Wideman was a UFA and indicated he didn't wanna return to Wash. You traded for his rights.

JBO is on contract = him being almost worthless.

The Flames gave up very little asset wise to get the rights to sign Wideman.... ie: we got him for next to nothing.

As for Bouwmeester’s worth you’re going to be surprised. He might be overpaid by a $1 or $2mill but he only has 2 years left on his contract now which is a hell of a lot easier to move. There are lots of teams in on the Suter UFA hoopla and there’s going to be a couple team that are extremely disappointed after Suter doesn’t sign with them.... as soon as this happens Bouwmeester is the next best solution. The Flames will move him for a half decent return or at a minimum we can now afford to dump him for nothing (since Wideman didn't cost us anything). Get it now?

lasimmon
06-27-2012, 02:45 PM

The Flames gave up very little asset wise to get the rights to sign Wideman.... ie: we got him for next to nothing.

As for Bouwmeester’s worth you’re going to be surprised. He might be overpaid by a $1 or $2mill but he only has 2 years left on his contract now which is a hell of a lot easier to move. There are lots of teams in on the Suter UFA hoopla and there’s going to be a couple team that are extremely disappointed after Suter doesn’t sign with them.... as soon as this happens Bouwmeester is the next best solution. The Flames will move him for a half decent return or at a minimum we can now afford to dump him for nothing (since Wideman didn't cost us anything). Get it now?

The problem is JBO is not the next best thing. There are 20 defencemen teams would rather have.. and could for a less price.

The bottom line is JBO is overpaid and not playing as well as he could and thus would not draw interest. I mean there is a possibility, but chances are we would have to take salary in return.

88CRX
06-27-2012, 02:48 PM

The problem is JBO is not the next best thing. There are 20 defencemen teams would rather have.. and could for a less price.

You're wrong.

R-Audi
06-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Calling this out as well. Lets see 20 guys that:
1. Play over 20 mins a night
2. Havent missed a game in the past 5 years (or close to it)
3. Still have an ounce of offensive skill left.
4. Available via trade at all, let alone a decent price.

cdnsir
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Price sounds steep at first, but it's not unreasonable at all.

Moves Bulter down with Gio and we have Wideman and JBo as the top pairing. Like all the trades in the past, it sure looks pretty good on paper!

Kloubek
06-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Wideman will be a great addition to the Flames. 5 years is a fairly lengthly contract, but keep in mind that if history continues, the cap will keep going up and contracts will continue to get heftier. On his 5th year, I'm going to guess he'll be considered a very good deal at that price, and in his mid 30's will only be likely starting a decline... if at all.

I think a player like Wideman who can quarterback a powerplay is something the Flames really needed. I hope he performs up to expectations and it should be a big boost.

E90_330xi
06-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm torn about the trade. Not so much because of widemans stats and his play, but because this isn't really a young guy the flames are brining in.

I like what wideman brings to the PP, but don't like the fact that he's 29 and it's a 5 year deal

alien
06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Calling this out as well. Lets see 20 guys that:
1. Play over 20 mins a night
2. Havent missed a game in the past 5 years (or close to it)
3. Still have an ounce of offensive skill left.
4. Available via trade at all, let alone a decent price.

^^^ exactly.

If calgary is trying to trade bouwmeester, salary (see: another bad contract) will probably be coming back for cap reasons.

max_boost
06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
I gotta feeling this is the year J.Bouw scores 15 and bags at least 30 assists. Might as well throw it out there and I'll quote myself in 10 months. :goflames: :goflames:

Kavy
06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by E90_330xi
I'm torn about the trade. Not so much because of widemans stats and his play, but because this isn't really a young guy the flames are brining in.

I like what wideman brings to the PP, but don't like the fact that he's 29 and it's a 5 year deal

Wideman is 29, same age as Gio.

Defensemen develop slower, 26 and under top 2 Dmen are rare.

rage2
06-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by BeyondNewB
What else are you looking for?
A defenseman who's not a -39 +/- in his career.

wardpr68
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2

A defenseman who's not a -39 +/- in his career.

Joe Sakic had 211 points in 2 seasons and was a -66 in those 2 seasons.

If you think +/- is a relevant statistic in hockey, you have a very limited knowledge of the sport.

VWEvo
06-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by wardpr68

If you think +/- is a relevant statistic in hockey, you have a very limited knowledge of the sport.

Joe Sakic isn't a defensman

If you don't think +/- isn't relevant, look up Nick Lidstroms numbers and tell me he isn't the best defenseman of all time.

arktrance
06-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't mind keeping Jay Bo for one more year to see how he works out with the new coaching staff...

Adachi
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by wardpr68

But Joe Sakic has an offensive role as oppose to a defensive roll like Jbo, so pretty sure +/- is a relevant statistic in this case showing he can't d it up.

Adachi
06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Double post derp

wardpr68
06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Jeff Schultz of the Washington Capitals led the NHL in +/- a few sesaons ago... does that mean he is an ELITE defenceman?

Stupidest statistic ever.

R-Audi
06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Worth adding...

On the Fan Feaster mentioned he called another team about talking to a potential UFA and they said it would cost a 3rd round just to talk to them... so obviously they passed. My guess would be Suter from Nashville or Carle from Philly. A 5th round pick is a good deal to get someone ahead of July 1, and not have to compete with however many other teams. Also Flames were one of 3 teams that were in talks with him.

toyboy88
06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Joker, apparently, won't be re-signed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/olli-jokinen-calgary-flames-part-ways-best-ufa-182158894--nhl.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

toyboy88
06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Sarich re-signed for 2 years, at $2M per season.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636369

wardpr68
06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
at almost half the salary of his previous contract maybe he will actually try a litter harder now to prove himself.

MGCM
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
The frenzy starts sunday right?

wardpr68
06-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Correct.

MGCM
06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I hope they trade kipper

sputnik
06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
I hope they trade kipper

Doesn't look like it will happen.

With the increase of the cap, Sarich salary cut and the soon-to-be-departed Joker, I have a feeling that Kipper won't be going anywhere.

The problem however will be to ensure that the #2 goaltender (whoever it ends up being) gets a decent amount of playing time so that they don't have to buy a starter when Kipper is done.

supe
06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
I hope they trade kipper

Why?

Kipper is still one of the best goalies in the league. Counting only 30+ games hes top 10 in both save % and GAA on a CRAPPY team. He may very well be our best player!

Having said that, I agree with Sputnik, the 70 starts kipper got is waaaaay too much. We need to be developing our young guys because kipper is very close to the end of his career.

88CRX
06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Can not believe we resigned Sarich, Comeau and Stempniak.

Brutal.

dj_honda
06-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Brutal.

Yep. Sigh.......
If he wanted to resign anyone it should have been Jokinen.

Type_S1
06-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Brutal.

I despise Sarich....but honestly at half the salary he may be able to fit in. Comeau and Stempniak were extremely stupid signings...like wth is Feaster thinking.

If we can sign a legitimate top 6 forward and they put Sven Baertschi in the line up I honestly think we are better then last year. We could always sign a guy like Jagr and hope he plays as good here as he did in PHI. I know he is old but he still is worth like 3.5mil he is going to get paid.

max_boost
06-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Oh man. Unless a Suter & Parise combo come next week, holy shit another year of 90pts and missing the playoffs. :nut: :cry:

toyboy88
06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
:werd: Much rather have spent the 2.5M from Step's signing towards Joker (or possibly a guy like Jagr).

403ep3
06-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Don't mind comeau and sarich trade but hate the stemp one..

Freeskier
06-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Haha fuck joker for another year? Give me a break. Last year was a "must perform" year for him and he didn't step up. Glad to see him gone. He ate up a top 2 line spot which could have gone to someone better. And Jagr?? Jesus that is the absolute worst player we could sign, apart from brodeur.

Stemp's signing may be a touch high, but sarich is finally signed at what he's worth. He's been over payed for so long that everyone forgets that he's actually an asset to the team.

95teetee
06-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Freeskier
Haha fuck joker for another year? Give me a break. Last year was a "must perform" year for him and he didn't step up. Glad to see him gone. He ate up a top 2 line spot which could have gone to someone better. And Jagr?? Jesus that is the absolute worst player we could sign, apart from brodeur.
I take it that by "ate up a top 2 line spot which could have gone to someone better" you mean "was second on the team in scoring, led the team in power play goals and assists and was tied for the team lead in game winning goals".

The_Rural_Juror
06-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
I take it that by "ate up a top 2 line spot which could have gone to someone better" you mean "was second on the team in scoring, led the team in power play goals and assists and was tied for the team lead in game winning goals".

Yeah, but he doesn't play gk and is a cancer in the locker room. [/sarcasm]

Freeskier
06-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah...might have been a teeny bit drunk when I wrote that last night. He's going to leave a gap, but I do think we can get someone who will improve that position. It's not too hard to lead the flames in scoring stats these days.

Quizzes
06-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Glencross - Jokinen - Moss line was often their best line. Not sure who Glencross is gonna excel with now that 2/3 of that line will probably be gone.

duaner
07-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I thought Feaster said they were going to be busy. :zzz:

93mr2gt
07-01-2012, 02:58 PM
lots of rumours about us trying to get jagr...so he can play with cervenka

chadnixon
07-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Ya that's right on par with calgarys way of thinking. Plus I doubt he would sign here. He came back to the NHL to win a cup. That's not happening here for many years.

Clever
07-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Just saw this on my Twitter:

@djmoss25: Bitter sweet day I want to thank all the Calgary fans for all the support over the years, I appreciate it more than you will know #ThankYou

Clever
07-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Guess he's off to Phoenix.