PDA

View Full Version : jdm import 1997 question help pls!

canadian booster
06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I'd like to pick up a 1997 jdm and import to canada, the registration on the site says 09/1997 but they assure me it will be allowed into canada

I've purchased the car but not sent the money yet, I want them to tell me the date on the paperwork, am I wrong or ?

It's a reputable dealer in yokohama that sells a ton of import(export) cars so should I take their word on it?

edit: car must be 15 years old to be allowed into canada because it was produced for a foreign market, japan, right hand drive

Gibson
06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure it has to be 15 years old to the month, but I'm not sure of the point in the importing/registering/insuring process that would come up. I just imported a 05/1997 Skyline but it landed in Canada in May so it was exactly 15 years old.

canadian booster
06-14-2012, 02:40 PM
i asked them to not ship it until august so it would land in september, but they got pissy with me and said they know their job and the papers are fine and it will get into canada. if they have a sneaky way of doctoring the papers i really don't care so long as i can get it in the country, but it would be nice to know ahead of time

maybe i'll bail and wait, this is the first car in 6 months i've seen that meets my criteria though so i was eager to get it

it's almost 6am in japan, maybe someone will get back to me

grats on the skyline btw!

ercchry
06-14-2012, 02:49 PM
they just photoshop the paperwork. no its not legal.

canadian booster
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
they just photoshop the paperwork. no its not legal.

LoL nice. i'll probably hold off for now then and keep looking, maybe it'll still be for sale in august,
i was chomping at the bit since i lowballed them $1000 and figured they would barter but they went for it, oh well

Vr4Whore
06-14-2012, 09:31 PM
customs won't allow it, it will either be shipped back or you will pay storage until sept.

mugensix
06-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Dont risk the headache of buyin a car you cant enjoy. Play it safe

canadian booster
06-15-2012, 08:05 AM
good news is that i found a different one on the west coast last night that was recently posted so i'm flying out to look at/buy next friday. If all goes well and the inspection is good and compression numbers decent i'll drive it back

the company in japan has messaged me a few times and tried to call. The person i was dealing with wasn't very customer service friendly but too late for apologies now, my business is elsewhere

mugensix
06-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Maybe i missed reading it, what kind of car? And good luck hope you find a minty one

canadian booster
06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
looking for a 'new' z32 300zx with a near-impossible combo of features : manual, twin turbo, 2+2 seating, in decent shape with good compression.

most are automatics (why god why??) or have twin turbo with 2+0. i found a great one with rebuild jdm swap in minnesota but the guy has been dragging his feet for over a month to sell to me even though i offered him asking price

mugensix
06-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Buy auto do 5spd covnvo. Or buy non-TT and do swap?

canadian booster
06-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by mugensix
Buy auto do 5spd covnvo. Or buy non-TT and do swap?

i wish i had the space. i'm in an apartment right now, used to have a house with garage in saskatoon :P

i found a Z about 1200 km from here i'm picking up later this week, hope it makes the drive back!