PDA

View Full Version : Am I screwed for the Math 30 Diploma?

dap19
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
To sum things up short:

I'm in grade 11 taking math 30 pure. I took it online so I slacked off on it cause I was in 3 other core courses and couldn't manage my time well enough. My fault. I used a friend for pretty much all assignments and haven't learned anything. I'm at an 84 right now and I have to write the online final anytime before the diploma worth 15% and then the diploma worth 50%.

Can I learn a full Math 30 course in 10 days? The diploma is on June 25th. I'm doing Renert this weekend for 18 hours, plus I'm going to study 7 hours per day next week. With 50 hours or so of studying can I learn everything so I can be successful (75+) on the diploma?

Or is it too late?

Gurpy
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
:rofl: Dude, instead of constantly calculating the amount of time you have left/how screwed you are, just start studying. Chances are you'll do a lot better with 50 hours of studying than you would without. Stop posting on forums and go study. Or don't study and stop stressing.

aqure591
06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
your screwed kid! lol. Give up while you can ahahaha

Kritafo
06-14-2012, 09:09 PM
if you don't do well on the diploma can't you just retake the exam?

dap19
06-14-2012, 09:10 PM
You can redo the diploma which would be in August. I'm away for all of July so that would do me no good though.

darthVWader
06-14-2012, 09:14 PM
This just dont add up:dunno:

beyond_ban
06-14-2012, 09:18 PM
You only have a fraction of the time necessary to study for the exam. Get to the root of the problem by adding more time a day to your study schedule.

chkolny541
06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
7 hours per day of studying? this isnt even realistic.

I tutor math 30 now, and I obviously took myself it 5 years ago myself (just graduated uni this past term) the material is a cake walk, just study the piss out of your transformations unit and know the shit out of your unit circle and you should be good enough for a pass, over 75% may be difficult though haha.

Get the key and do every single question in that, its what i did when i took the exam and the questions helped a lot for the final, the book really prepares you well.

flipstah
06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
You only have a fraction of the time necessary to study for the exam. Get to the root of the problem by adding more time a day to your study schedule.

That's the worst advice ever.

You start deriving the issue and it'll just expand.

beyond_ban
06-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Well then he is screwed... may as well pray to god for a sine.

flipstah
06-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Well then he is screwed... may as well pray to god for a sine.

Seriously. This shit is serious.

Stop going in different tangents.

beyond_ban
06-14-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm not trying to be obtuse, i am just searching for the right angle for him to approach this.

dap19
06-14-2012, 10:08 PM
So there's no way, even with 10 pure days of studying that I can get a 75 on this?

flipstah
06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm not trying to be obtuse, i am just searching for the right angle for him to approach this.

I know you're trying to be acute, but this is just getting exponentially off-topic.

flipstah
06-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by dap19
So there's no way, even with 10 pure days of studying that I can get a 75 on this?

You're seriously going to spend at least 80 hours to learn:

- Transformations (Boring)
- Statistics (Hang yourself on a poission distribution)
- Trig (sine, cosine, tan, cotan, etc.); that alone has 4-5 formulas that you have to remember
- Exponents/Log (Easiest shit ever)

I don't know what else is there...

Sorry to say but, flip a coin. It's statistically better than your odds at passing right now.

GenericUsername
06-14-2012, 11:03 PM
bmlc.ca

and youtube

aristocrat
06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Youtube: PatrickJMT

Saved my ass in calculus.

spacerz
06-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by GenericUsername
bmlc.ca

+1

Maybelater
06-15-2012, 12:58 AM
OP you're fucked, cut out the middle man, drop out and start your career at McDonalds early. ;)

Power_Of_Rotary
06-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Ha I have a linear theory final on the 25th as well and trust me its 100 times as hard as a high school diploma.

just study as much as you can in each topic, if theres 1 or 2 topics you cant understand near the end, give it up and focus on the other topics. dont waste your time on something that you cant understand (when its last minute, there is only more confusion waste of precious time).

/expert of last minute studying

Laoz
06-15-2012, 03:29 AM
meow.

ExtraSlow
06-15-2012, 06:23 AM
No idea if there is anything scheduled, but if you can get in any of the Renert centre diploma prep courses, they are like gold.

Also, I'll agree with Power_Of_Rotary. Don't spend a lot of time on the hardest topics. Anything that seems like you'll "never" get is just going to confuse you and fill up time you could spend learning something easier.

There's still a chance you are screwed, but there's also a chance you'll pass. Good luck.

Rat Fink
06-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Neil4Speed
06-15-2012, 07:41 AM
I wish I knew this earlier in highschool, but if you use those "Key" books, combined with the "big red" books that you can buy from the resource center, and do every question in there - I don't know how you couldn't get 100%...

flipstah
06-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Do they still teach "Soh-cah-toa"??

There's your trig memorized right there, now shut the fuck up and go study. :rofl:

Sin = Opposite/Hypotenuse

Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse

Tan = Opposite/Adjacent

Holy fuck, I still remember that shit.

Also, Renert is a waste of time and money. Just buy that review book that they sell at schools. Worth it's weight in gold.

Oh man, wait till you get to university. You'll wish for Math 30 Pure when your retinas are burnt from eigenvectors.

wardpr68
06-15-2012, 07:45 AM
I have been in this situation plenty. At SAIT I took business math and did not go to a single class. Two days before the final, I began studying. I passed.

It's incredibly possible, but the fact that you are asking people on a forum if you have a chance at this rather than just busting your ass.... I would say your chances are definitely low.

I also did it in a university geography class that I took as an option. Did not go to one single class, never read the book (didnt even buy it) but studied a couple of days before the midterm and final and I pulled it off.

All depends how bad you want it. Again, if I was a betting man, I would be betting against you.

Q-TIP
06-15-2012, 08:40 AM
It depends on how intelligent you are and how well you take tests. Some people can pull off a decent grade with no work and a short cram session and others can work all semester and do every assignment and still fail.

The biggest things I figured out through high-school and university are:

1) the nursing department produces the highest number of hot chicks
2) it doesn't matter if you know the material or not, just know how to write the test. I have written tests for classes I never attended and gotten 90% because I analysed the test not the material, and I've gotten 60% on tests where I knew the material but didn't pay attention to the questions.

Math is one of those courses where you have to know the material fairly well, but there is still a chance of pulling something out of your ass based on common sense. Study hard, then relax the day before the exam and you should pass. Don't expect a stellar mark but you may surprise yourself.

Unless you're not too bright, if that is the case just bend over and kiss your ass good-bye.

ExtraSlow
06-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Also, Renert is a waste of time and money. Just buy that review book that they sell at schools. Worth it's weight in gold.

I found Renert very valuable, but that was back in the nineties, so I don't know if it's changed.

toyboy88
06-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Do they still teach "Soh-cah-toa"??

There's your trig memorized right there, now shut the fuck up and go study. :rofl:

SOH-CAH-TOA!!! :D

Man I feel old hearing that again haha.

JustinMCS
06-15-2012, 09:16 AM
And this kids is exactly why the diploma is weighted at 50%. For those people who cheat during the course and get a good mark are FUCKED at the exam.

:rofl:

DJturbo
06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Learn how to use your calculator.. theres a reason why they allow and.teach you how to graph functions.
Its still only a multiple choice exam right? Good.

Google or youtube it but with your POS Ti-84 calculator you can graph trig with the proper mode and pretty much the majority of the other transformations and sequences and series.

That being said, learn your shit before anything- you will be royally screwed if you don't.

+1 to patrickJMT and the workbooks. Renert is a waste of time IMO but go if you need to start somewhere. Rely on it for the practice problems too.

Good luck. Study your ass off for the next while and dont look back.

desi112
06-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Hit the books, quickly go threw the concepts and examples then lay the smack down on the questions in the book.

You can do it!

dap19
06-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. All those doubters have really motivated me to work twice as hard. After my Chem exam today it's straight to Renert! Going to be a huge battle these next 10 days but I know what's at stake.

Is there any other practice diplomas aside from the ones on education alberta? Because there is only a few from way back in 2001 and 2002 on there and I'd like to practice as many as possible.

magicalpoop
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. All those doubters have really motivated me to work twice as hard. After my Chem exam today it's straight to Renert! Going to be a huge battle these next 10 days but I know what's at stake.

Is there any other practice diplomas aside from the ones on education alberta? Because there is only a few from way back in 2001 and 2002 on there and I'd like to practice as many as possible.

Hey OP, don't listen to the naysayers. It's possible.

Do it regardless so you get the completion on your course grade. Therefore, even if you do fail the diploma, you can simply just rewrite the diploma come fall - and not retake the course. Then take Math 31 in second semester 2013 if you do fail the diploma (Not get 75%)

Anyways you have 6 days left, don't listen to those fools, you can do it. I did it.

Tips:

1)I hope you know how your brain learns, this is key. Do not waste time practicing stuff if that is not how you learn. Do not waste time re-writing concepts if that is not how you learn.

So in short, look back at what worked in the past and what didn't. Do that and apply it to your study sessions

2) Exercise and eat well.
Your body cannot learn if you're in a shit state. When I mean eat, I mean like eat healthy 3 meals. Avoid junkfood and processed sugar.
WORST feeling is having a completely good day ruined cause you crashed in the afternoon and didn't pick back up

A 20 minute jog can do wonders btw. You can learn ALOT post jog

3) If you live in the south by chinook learning services, you can buy "THE KEY" https://castlerockresearch.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=74
for $10.

If not, expect $30 at chapters. I believe it only does contain the math 30 diploma from 2002 - but if you do

4) make sure you can do all the concepts WRITTEN, especially the circle and the SOH CAH TOA shit

5) Do practice tests and see how fast/accurate you can do it

6) learn from your practice tests

Good luck

flipstah
06-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
If there was one class I hated the most in my fucking life it was Math 30. :banghead:

Mine was Math 20. Never. Again.

max_boost
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
If there was one class I hated the most in my fucking life it was Math 30. :banghead:

Disoblige
06-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by aristocrat
Youtube: PatrickJMT

Haha! I watched some videos from him while trying to learn some things in my 3rd year engineering classes. Easy to understand and saved me some time.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I wish I knew this earlier in highschool, but if you use those "Key" books, combined with the "big red" books that you can buy from the resource center, and do every question in there - I don't know how you couldn't get 100%...
QFT. Key saves you a ton of time.

Rat Fink
06-18-2012, 11:01 PM

colinxx235
06-19-2012, 08:35 AM
^

:confused:

Math answers are pretty black/white. How would receiving tough treatment affect anything?

ajooo
06-19-2012, 08:35 AM
OP, i was in your position when i was in high school.

but in my opinion, study as much as you can but remember you only have so much energy for that much studying.

just try the best you can, and if anything retake it in your first sem of grade 12. im sure you have some "spares" considering your taking math 30 in grade 11. An F in highschool doesnt look as bad as an F in post secondary.

PS: Provincial government will round you up if your average is like a 47.5+

magicalpoop
06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ajooo
OP, i was in your position when i was in high school.

but in my opinion, study as much as you can but remember you only have so much energy for that much studying.

just try the best you can, and if anything retake it in your first sem of grade 12. im sure you have some "spares" considering your taking math 30 in grade 11. An F in highschool doesnt look as bad as an F in post secondary.

PS: Provincial government will round you up if your average is like a 47.5+

Alberta Education will only send your highest grades to schools. As in, you can have 10 F's and when you apply to UofC or McGill or Harvard, they will only send in the highest grades (and only 1 grade).

So yeah, I wouldn't worry.

dj_patm
06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Ah yes High School math.

Math 20 is when I realized I'm a dumb ass and was going to have to drop to either applied or actually do my homework and try.

Being the stupid fuck I am, I dropped to applied and then still didn't do my homework or study and almost failed that too. Ended up having to upgrade where I passed with a 98% (if I knew that I could do that by actually trying hard at school I probably would be doing something a lot different now).

FYI, being bad at high school math isn't the end of the world. Just means you have to invest a lot of time researching degrees or trades that you can get into with a shitty math score that still tend to yield high salaries and they are out there.

Spoons
06-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Short story short.... Yes.... But you have to bust you ass.

I did the same, took the Diploma prep course which pretty well taught me the whole class in 2 days, and I passed with a 98% (WHAAAT UP!)

But mind you I am an incredibly fast learner and pick stuff up just by listening. By the sounds of you... You be fucked kid.

xnvy
06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Like some other posters said, bmlc.ca. It's the only resource I used when I did math 30 and I ended up getting a 96. Renert has amazing math teachers but sessions like those are more useful for classes like bio and chem IMO.

flipstah
06-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
Renert has amazing math teachers but sessions like those are more useful for classes like bio and chem IMO.

... And picking up easy HS tail. :poosie:

Myrrinda
06-20-2012, 12:59 PM
In university, you party all semester and then learn all the material 2 days before the exam. Consider this practice.

wardpr68
06-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda
In university, you party all semester and then learn all the material 2 days before the exam. Consider this practice.

Very accurate.

colinxx235
06-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda

Maybe if you have a BA/taking rocks for jocks...

dirtsniffer
06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm taking GLGY337 as a 4th yeat tech elective, not quite rocks for jocks buuut. :)

/hijack

Rat Fink
06-20-2012, 04:56 PM

colinxx235
06-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I'm taking GLGY337 as a 4th yeat tech elective, not quite rocks for jocks buuut. :)

/hijack

haha don't even domer... that course is a joke and we all know it :rofl:

learn engg 349 in two days and I'll bow down

Marsh
06-20-2012, 09:33 PM
khanacademy.org will save you

xnvy
06-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

... And picking up easy HS tail. :poosie: :werd: I'll always have fond memories of Bio 30 Renert complete.

dap19
08-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I actually decided not to write it in June cause I obviously could have used a little more time to study. Been busy with work this summer but managing to get some studying in, doing a shit load of practice diplomas and such.

Feel like I'm gonna get like a 60ish on it based on how I've been doing on these practice tests but who knows!

They're changing the curriculum for Math 30 next year so I don't wanna do that so worst comes to worst I can always just redo this in November, or in February and then it's discontinued forever.

magicalpoop
08-02-2012, 10:02 AM
I actually decided not to write it in June cause I obviously could have used a little more time to study. Been busy with work this summer but managing to get some studying in, doing a shit load of practice diplomas and such.

Feel like I'm gonna get like a 60ish on it based on how I've been doing on these practice tests but who knows!

They're changing the curriculum for Math 30 next year so I don't wanna do that so worst comes to worst I can always just redo this in November, or in February and then it's discontinued forever.

Then when are you writing it? Like you said, it's being discontinued. I would've just written it now and done a redo in Nov/Feb or w/e like you said.

Phl0xed
08-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by magicalpoop

Then when are you writing it? Like you said, it's being discontinued. I would've just written it now and done a redo in Nov/Feb or w/e like you said.

I believe the re-writes/summer schools happen quite early in August. I truly hated English in high school, so I took my English 30-1 over cyber school in the summer between grade 11 and 12. Was like... 6 weeks or so of the easiest English class I've ever done, then went and wrote my diploma in the first week of August, I believe it was. Can't recall exactly, as that was about 7 years ago now...

dap19
08-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by magicalpoop

I'm writing it next Wednesday on August 8th.

403Gemini
08-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
Ah yes High School math.

Math 20 is when I realized I'm a dumb ass and was going to have to drop to either applied or actually do my homework and try.

Being the stupid fuck I am, I dropped to applied and then still didn't do my homework or study and almost failed that too. Ended up having to upgrade where I passed with a 98% (if I knew that I could do that by actually trying hard at school I probably would be doing something a lot different now).

FYI, being bad at high school math isn't the end of the world. Just means you have to invest a lot of time researching degrees or trades that you can get into with a shitty math score that still tend to yield high salaries and they are out there.

I was like that too

I took Math pure 10 in high school , failed
Went to 10 applied passed
Then took math 10 pure again passed,
Took math 20 pure, passed
Math 30 pure, failed (last semester of high school too :banghead: was my fault I was lazy).

So summer school after grade 12, took math 30 pure, went into the diploma with 60% and ended up getting 92% on the diploma... SHITTY thing was (as good as that 92% felt...) I am a graduate of 2001, so it was the "first class" to go through the new program so the diploma was only worth 20%. That was the one diploma I wanted to be worth 50% of my grade since I did so damn good on it.

I wish I could go back and learn math, chemistry and physics now, WAY more interest being 29 and knowing how cool that shit is. When you're 16-18, it means nothing to you.

se7en
08-03-2012, 10:20 PM
2nd. I wish I paid more attention in high school as well...trying to learn stuff like chem and physics on your own is frustrating!

Kritafo
08-06-2012, 05:54 PM
my daughter rotates, math, english, social online and has always done waaay better than the actual class.

Next year is the big year, but we got 2 diploma's out of the way this year for more time to study. Good luck this week!

dap19
08-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
my daughter rotates, math, english, social online and has always done waaay better than the actual class.

Next year is the big year, but we got 2 diploma's out of the way this year for more time to study. Good luck this week!

Thanks! Done in a few days, feeling the nerves already though.