PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Water Line question

Khyron
06-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Redoing my water lines for my outside hoses (going from PolyB to PEX) and the shutoff valves are almost near the taps (so in the ceiling or crawlspace)

I want to put the new ones in the furnace room where the main valve is located. My prev house (new 02 construction) had that.

But I read a few posts saying the shutoff should be as close to the end of the line as possible. Is this code, convention or what? Thx!!

C_Dave45
06-16-2012, 01:19 PM
All new construction has shut-offs in the mechanical room right close to the main.

Khyron
06-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Ah good that is so much easier and makes more sense.

Khyron
06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
All new construction has shut-offs in the mechanical room right close to the main.

Is there any reason NOT to run 3/4 right to the outdoor tap? The PO (when jumping from polyb to pex) went down to 1/2 about half-way.

raceman6135
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Just a suggestion: you may want to use a shut-off valve with a build in bleeder, so that it's easier to drain when you winterize.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/plumbing/systems/winterize/pbsywz42a_winterize.jpg

The bleeder goes on the faucet side, but you probably guessed that already.

As for why the PO reduced sizes half way on the run .... probably only had that much 3/4" (or that much 1/2") pipe and couldn't do the entire run in the same size :dunno: :rofl: