PDA

View Full Version : Iphone stolen

Kloubek
06-16-2012, 02:35 PM
ARG!!!!

Just visited the Bowness dog park and had my sunroof open. Someone climbed on top of my vehicle, an extracted my cell phone. They know what they're doing - they turned location services off and already renamed it to "Swagg".

I called Telus to report it and locked it via Cloud in a panic, although I'm wondering if that was a good idea since now I'll probably never track it.

Fuck also smashed my windshield stepping on it, and damaged my hood.

So pissed. I thought it would be safe with people everywhere...

Any suggestions?

rob the knob
06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
how were they able to turn location services off? was it not password protected or was it left unlocked by password?

Kloubek
06-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I was talking to a friend just before I parked, so it did not auto-activate yet.

I think he might be screwing around with it right now... it keeps switching from offline to location services off. But maybe that's just something to do with icloud...

kvg
06-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Fucking scum bags. Dude you gave Bowness way too much credit man.

Kloubek
06-16-2012, 02:43 PM
ha! It isn't that I give Bowness credit at all. It is just that there were people everywhere so it was SUPER ballsy to do this.

Stole my smokes too. I really need one now.

So... what can this guy do with the phone now? Can he wipe it, and sell it?

kvg
06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
you have to start by reporting it stolen to the police, then watch kijiji:dunno:

chkolny541
06-16-2012, 04:07 PM
^^tough to watch kijiji for for someone selling a specific iPhone unless there is something very distinct about it, you would have to meet each person to verify the serial number:nut:

CanmoreOrLess
06-16-2012, 04:19 PM
I had a coworker who found a brand new iPhone on a sidewalk, the scumbag did not bother to find the owner, he shut everything down from the previous owner and uses it as his own. I trusted this yank rope less and less as the days went on, who says two advanced degrees make on honest? So I am pretty certain you can wave bye to your iPhone. This stealing from vehicles at dog parks goes on everywhere in Calgary, even in my cosy SW Range Rover/MB dog park.

Report the phone to the cops, Telus, Rogers, etc. Not certain if the Apple store is interested in thefts.

Kloubek
06-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is gone.

If a phone is reported stolen, how does the thief even get it working again? Doesn't the serial # (or unique ID) come up when they try to get service?

In my Telus account, it doesn't even provide me with the serial #. I guess I'm going to have to call them so I can file a report.

CanmoreOrLess
06-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Not how you want to spend your Saturday:

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/tp/What-To-Do-When-Iphone-Is-Stolen.htm

Grogador
06-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Neither Apple nor any North American carriers track/blacklist IMEIs, she's gone dude.

ZMan2k2
06-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Neither Apple nor any North American carriers track/blacklist IMEIs, she's gone dude.

Really?!? That's a little surprising to me. You'd think they would want to discourage activities like this, and make it harder for thieves to benefit. Must cost extra money or something, because we don't pay enough for cell service.

Kloubek
06-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Telus claimed that if someone tried to register the phone with Telus that they would know it was stolen... but then, who knows what the common customer service rep knows about it really.

Grogador
06-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Telus claimed that if someone tried to register the phone with Telus that they would know it was stolen... but then, who knows what the common customer service rep knows about it really.

Telus could blacklist it in their system, however that data wouldn't be shared with other carriers... Anyway I use my stolen AT&T phones down in the USA roaming on AT&T all the time so who knows.

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
Really?!? That's a little surprising to me. You'd think they would want to discourage activities like this, and make it harder for thieves to benefit. Must cost extra money or something, because we don't pay enough for cell service.

Yeah, could be that, or maybe they just want you to buy another phone ;) They're finally going to start implementing it after a sharp rise in cellphone-related crime, oh and I think the government made them do it :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/gIQAZG9L7S_story.html

shakalaka
06-18-2012, 11:19 AM
I lost my iphone 4S a couple months ago. Either I lost it or it got stolen I can't be 100% sure.

Sent messages on it through location services, asking the person to give it back, tracked it to a location which turned out to be a huge apartment building so no help. Called the police, they didn't do anything. Called Fido, didn't do anything. Called Apple and the same result.

Gave up, got a new one the next day. But pisses me so much knowing some douche somewhere has it or sold it for money. That one, I had bought out right for like $850 or something.:banghead:

urban.one
06-18-2012, 11:20 AM
???

Originally posted by Grogador

Telus could blacklist it in their system, however that data wouldn't be shared with other carriers... Anyway I use my stolen AT&T phones down in the USA roaming on AT&T all the time so who knows.

Yeah, could be that, or maybe they just want you to buy another phone ;) They're finally going to start implementing it after a sharp rise in cellphone-related crime, oh and I think the government made them do it :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/gIQAZG9L7S_story.html

clem24
06-18-2012, 11:30 AM
This is Calgary. All grown up. When the sign says "take all valuables with you" or lock them up or keep them out of sight, do it. Shitty lesson to learn. Just accept your loss and move on. Not worth dwelling over for a few $$$.

Afrodeziak
06-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Regardless of whether or not you'll be able to get the phone back. I'd still file a police report.

If the person gets caught car prowling and they get a warrant to look for stolen goods or whatnot, you never know if your phone will turn up.

B

Modelexis
06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
lol, sorry.

WbYxtf0GAcM

Kloubek
06-18-2012, 10:17 PM
^ Cocksucker. That was actually almost cool sounding....

Yeah, I figured if someone could figure out how to wipe it to factory, they can just unlock it and use a different provider.

I think I'll just replace it with the 4; they go on Kijiji for 325-375 and I don't think there is a ton of difference. Just have to make sure the one I pick up isn't stolen as well. How does one ensure that anyway - call Telus with the serial #?

Kloubek
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Just a side note to all this - an adjuster came out from my insurance company to assess the damage. It is amazing how quickly it adds up. $2900 to the body alone, and that doesn't include the windshield which he doesn't think they'll cover from vandalism for some reason. (Which would really suck, since the rest is all minor superficial damage compared to the windshield)

I'm going to contact TD insurance and see if there is any way for them to just pay me out which will cover the cost of a new iphone. (Which, so you guys know - is only covered in your home insurance... not auto insurance. Since my deductable for that insurance is $500, there is no point in using it)

clem24
06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
^^ That sucks, doing that kind of damage just to steal a worthless phone. :(

tnuc
06-20-2012, 02:25 PM
i have a rogers iphone 4, needs new front screen which is cheap. ill gie it too you for 200 if you want it.

Kloubek
06-20-2012, 03:03 PM
I would have considered that - but I'm on a Telus contract. Thanks though.

tnuc
06-21-2012, 08:15 AM
o i thought they were unlockable now?

Kloubek
06-21-2012, 08:35 AM
They are. But I don't want to go throught the hassle of repairing and unlocking.