PDA

View Full Version : First Canadian Protection Plan (FCPP) - Extended Warranty

Ed the SOHC
06-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm about to pick a use vehicle from GSL GMC and they're offering an extended warranty from a company called First Canadian Protection Plan. I've never heard of them but they're offering $2000 back if you don't use the warranty after the 4-years. The warranty costs roughly $2600 for 4-years or 80k kms. So that's really $600 for 4yrs or 80k kms which isn't bad.

Has anyone else heard or bought this type of warranty? It sounds too good to be true. I need some beyonders opinion if this is legit.

TIA

M.alex
06-16-2012, 08:39 PM
you could always, like, you know, google

"
I purchased the FCPP warranty for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the experience has been less than stellar. Firstly, read the fine print....they use second hand parts whenever they want, often parts which are in worse condition than what they are replacing. I had a huge battle with them over this, they sent an A/C control panel that looked like it had been run over; the dealership refused to install it, hence another battle with FCPP. I caught them lying to me on a couple of occasions with regard to using second hand parts. They told me if I want new parts, I have to pay the difference in price! (needed a new PCM computer $1300.00, used $75.00, I would have had to pay $1225.00 to replace my PCM on warranty!) Needless to say, the used PCM had the same common fault that my defective one had.
My warranty is about two weeks away from expiring, has turned out to be an absolute rip-off.
I recommend avoiding FCPP.
"

nixrx8
06-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I've used FCPP and haven't had any type of issues at all. Only real downside is the selling dealer does have to go to bat for you sometimes (if you have issues), hopefully they have a good rapport with FCPP. Besides that it is usually a pretty good deal!

Ed the SOHC
06-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
you could always, like, you know, google

"
I purchased the FCPP warranty for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the experience has been less than stellar. Firstly, read the fine print....they use second hand parts whenever they want, often parts which are in worse condition than what they are replacing. I had a huge battle with them over this, they sent an A/C control panel that looked like it had been run over; the dealership refused to install it, hence another battle with FCPP. I caught them lying to me on a couple of occasions with regard to using second hand parts. They told me if I want new parts, I have to pay the difference in price! (needed a new PCM computer $1300.00, used $75.00, I would have had to pay $1225.00 to replace my PCM on warranty!) Needless to say, the used PCM had the same common fault that my defective one had.
My warranty is about two weeks away from expiring, has turned out to be an absolute rip-off.
I recommend avoiding FCPP.
"

I didn't think I needed to say "... And yes I google'd them already". I've been around beyond for awhile ;)

I do appreciate what you wrote. Can you send me the link to where you got that so I can see how recent that was?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-17-2012, 08:21 AM
I work for GSL and I deal with FCPP directly, and if it was me I would just say no, they aren't terrible but they don't cover a lot of stuff, or they will only cover part of the parts on some repairs and the customer will be responsible for the rest of the parts. For how much you pay for the warranty I don't think you get it back.

firebane
06-17-2012, 08:58 AM
These types of warranty programs are not worth what you pay by any means. If you are buying a new vehicle and need to spend another $2,000 or more on a extended warranty through a 3rd party company make sure you know what it is that it will cover.

My girlfriend bought a 2010 Nissan Sentra and the dealer sucked her into buying into the extended warranty and it was costing her money and I sat down with her and explained how it wasn't worth it and she cancelled it.

Ed the SOHC
06-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I work for GSL and I deal with FCPP directly, and if it was me I would just say no, they aren't terrible but they don't cover a lot of stuff, or they will only cover part of the parts on some repairs and the customer will be responsible for the rest of the parts. For how much you pay for the warranty I don't think you get it back.

This is what I was looking for - beyonder helping beyonder. Thanks for your honesty.

Also I found the other thread on Red Flags stating their experience with FCPP. It was very recent so I'll probably just skip the warranty and put money aside myself if something goes wrong in the future.

jdmXSI
06-17-2012, 09:31 AM
If you are interested in extended warranty, I would recommend Coverage One over any of the othe 3rd party warranties because of what is covered and the ease to claim a repair.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

This is what I was looking for - beyonder helping beyonder. Thanks for your honesty.

Also I found the other thread on Red Flags stating their experience with FCPP. It was very recent so I'll probably just skip the warranty and put money aside myself if something goes wrong in the future.

No worries man.