PDA

View Full Version : honda fit vs toyota prius? or?

winson2001
06-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi all, wife now works across the city, doing 60+ km a day minimum, so looking for new car for her. Thinking about prius or something really small like a honda fit maybe 2006 n around. Want to know how the prius do being5-6 yr old. Or should i go fr something small like the fit. Im also open to any suggestions, just didnt want a new car n rack up a whole bunch of milage on it in a short time. Any helpful reply will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

93VR6
06-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Fit over Prius all day every day.

projekz
06-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6
Fit over Prius all day every day.

This

revelations
06-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Why is the Prius even in contention? If youre after mileage, here in Calgary a VW diesel will do better.... esp in -30.

msommers
06-17-2012, 12:39 AM
TDI is going to be a hell of a lot more than a Honda Fit - that's a lot of fuel.

eglove
06-17-2012, 12:48 AM
I have an 09 fit sport if you're interested ;)

jongc
06-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Prius c if you're looking for gas savings.

Sentry
06-17-2012, 07:14 AM
The old old first gen Priuses are actually kind of cool. They're like a Corolla with "Oh by the way it has a hybrid system".

My opinion?

Get an Insight. :)

CanmoreOrLess
06-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Whichever you decide upon, you'll need a winter tire set up as well. I'd go with a hybrid vehicle Prius, Insight (good value) or regular fuel Fit. Hyundai and Kia have Fit like models as well, not as nice overall but I would think better value compared to a best in class Honda Fit.

An older VW would have some ugly repair costs down the road, new VW far better.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-17-2012, 08:40 AM
60km a day isnt that much, unless she currently drives a truck or something with terrible fuel mileage will you even save much?

speedog
06-17-2012, 09:30 AM
To help some out, I went to a new daily commuter in the past year that got 20% better fuel mileage than the 4 year old vehicle it replaced - that 20% equates to about an extra $10 in my pocket or so on a weekly basis. Yeah, not a huge amount of money, but still it's over $500 that I'm not donating to someone else and in a newer vehicle that's more fun to drive.

Sugarphreak
06-18-2012, 11:20 AM

shadowz
06-18-2012, 11:35 AM
GF bought a Prius a month ago, and we love it, quite a few comfort items, quick enough and it has lots of room. Finally had to fill yesterday with 1 bar left on the gas gauge, it did cost $35 to fill and that was after 765km. I am more than impressed with this car. Fit was actually one of her choices but overall we felt the prius was a better car. However I do not believe they come close to falling in the same category

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o93/shadowz940/5fa7b652.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o93/shadowz940/5b404414.jpg

r3ccOs
06-18-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm seriously debating econo-boxes vs hybrid for the amount of commuting I'm doing these days...

these days I'm driving from my office in the NE, downtown, NW, etc... some days is 90+km a day (on the days I'm not working from home)

... alot of the times I am driving bymyself but I will use my vehical to also throw the dog in (a lab) and have multiple passangers, carry hockey equipment and such... so that to me, throws out the idea of a IQ/Fiat 500/Mini

I already have a sedan (altima SE-R) and a winter beater SUV so the only pratical gas saving's vehicle I can really say suit my needs well (+ we're trying to have kids) would be a large hatch such as the Prius V or Golf Wagon TDI

the reliability of Hybrids are proven, as are the gas saving advantages and the ecology

the debate to me is this... Hybrid vs Economy
To me, I really don't like the Yaris, Prius C, Fiesta, Mazda 2, or FIT as they're not just effecient cars, they are economy cars and they feel like economy cars..
If I'm going to get 4.9L per 100... I'd rather still be able to enjoy my commute while on that highway

where as the Civic hybrid, Insight, Camry Hybrid, Sonata Hybrid Prius and the V are effecient cars (but you pay for that)

the honda Insight and Honda Civic hybrid actually have decent fuel numbers and actually drive better IMO than the Prius... more engaged, more like a real car

winson2001
06-18-2012, 12:40 PM
thank you all for the helpful inputs. every reply is greatly appreciated, i'll let the wife know about all these pros n con then I'l let her decide what she want. thx all once again.