PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Dent and Scratch repair needed [Rear Fender] [2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T]

MaDpOo
06-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Thank you in advance to those that can offer me some good advice!

Scratched my 2010 White Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T in a underground parking lot pillar from pulling out at a sharp angle.

Got a rough quote ~$1200-1500 from crowfoot bodywork. Is this a fair quote for the damage?

Is this repairable by PDR? rough cost? suggested places?

Is there such thing as replacing the entire rear fender? (can be aftermarket)

Which method of repair would you suggest?

http://s14.postimage.org/fsx5h9owh/IMG_0301_1.jpg
http://s18.postimage.org/6pzhiri4p/IMG_0299_1.jpg
http://s7.postimage.org/aqvfxbi2j/IMG_0298_1.jpg
http://s14.postimage.org/biihlojtd/IMG_0300_1.jpg

Crazyjoker77
06-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Thats pretty much the worst place to damage a unibody car.

PDR places wont touch that kind of damage there is damage to the paint and lots of creases.

To fix that properly the whole rear quarter should be cut out and replaced with new sheet metal that has to be welded in then painted and blended to match the rest of the adjoining panels.

the other option is that some body shops will do is to perform a little metal repair then slather it with bondo. It will look good for awhile but eventually will crack and the bondo will fall out and youll be stuck paying for a repair job again. (this is probaby what they are planning on doing for your 1200$ quote)

I'd be expecting to pay 3000-4000$ to have this fixed properly at a reputable body shop.

TomcoPDR
06-17-2012, 02:50 PM
OP, you are definitely looking into bodyshop repair. Whether it's replacing the entire panel, or repairing it.

PDR wouldn't do much on this.

MaDpOo
06-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Ouch :(

Thanks for the advice guys!

MaDpOo
06-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Does anyone have any recommendation on what shops to go to and know that they have a fair price?

I want to go to a few places for quotes this weekend.

gqboy322
06-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
Thats pretty much the worst place to damage a unibody car.

PDR places wont touch that kind of damage there is damage to the paint and lots of creases.

To fix that properly the whole rear quarter should be cut out and replaced with new sheet metal that has to be welded in then painted and blended to match the rest of the adjoining panels.

the other option is that some body shops will do is to perform a little metal repair then slather it with bondo. It will look good for awhile but eventually will crack and the bondo will fall out and youll be stuck paying for a repair job again. (this is probaby what they are planning on doing for your 1200$ quote)

I'd be expecting to pay 3000-4000$ to have this fixed properly at a reputable body shop.

There is no need to cut out and replace the quarter panel. simply just pull it back out and repaint it. that way it wont rust inside of the quarter panel.

To OP, 1200-1500 sounds about right.

MaDpOo
06-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by gqboy322

There is no need to cut out and replace the quarter panel. simply just pull it back out and repaint it. that way it wont rust inside of the quarter panel.

To OP, 1200-1500 sounds about right.

Do you have a shop that you can recommend on doing this?

nickyh
07-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Not sure if you've booked to have the work done, but I used Contemporary Coachworks (South) to fix up my rear qtr panel and rear passenger door after a car drove into those area while i was at work.

Total repair job was $1210.

Overall, happy with the work but i wish they would have taken more pics of the repair process, but what's done is done.

MaDpOo
07-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Repair has been done at Advance Autobody. Great price and excellent job. Couldn't even tell it was damaged from before at all.

Thank you all for the advice!

G-ZUS
07-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by MaDpOo
Repair has been done at Advance Autobody. Great price and excellent job. Couldn't even tell it was damaged from before at all.

Thank you all for the advice!

How much did they charge?