PDA

View Full Version : (&^#!@ Tubes!!

msommers
06-17-2012, 02:41 PM
It seems every time I go for a ride, I am forced to check my air pressure before I go. I learned this lesson the hard way after suffering both front and rear pinch flats <5km out on a ride.

I normally ride ~100psi and every time I head out the air pressure is at least 70-80 just from the bike sitting a day or two and requires a few pumps on the F&R. Wow cry me a river right? Well I'm noticing it after ~50km of riding too which if I'm not careful is going to lead to an inevitable pinch flat.

I'm using the Axiom tubes and wondering if I should try different ones or what's going on. I'm really careful when installing them and cleaning the inside of the rim for any debris etc.

Any advice here?

Unrelated, when you guys go on longer rides do you use a backpack/platypus setup or two waterbottles on the frame? I'm using for the former and really liking it to carry a few other small things (like a tube, patch kit, airpump, snack(s), rain jacket).

93VR6
06-17-2012, 03:14 PM
What kind of valves are you using?

swak
06-17-2012, 03:33 PM
2 water bottles should be more than enough for a ~100km ride (unless you're a cactus).

But, with presta valves (as would be on your CAAD10, thats gonna happen - nature of the beast) - keep up with the tire pressure and ride!
HOWEVER, after only 50km of riding, thats sounding pretty iffy. Maybe opt for new tubes (could be a messed valve - slowly pissing air).

I'd go on the safe side and just buy new tubes (aren't that expensive). Then you'll have less to worry about.

And dont bring more than you have to on a road ride!!
A spare tube and pump/c02 is more than enough. Plus food and ipod if you want. and maybe a multi tool and tire levers (depending on my mood - i may or may not bring these)

msommers
06-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Cool thanks. Yeah I'll change out the tubes and hope that works. Are the axioms alright or should I go for something different?

RickDaTuner
06-17-2012, 05:59 PM
I would switch over to presta valve man, also try having a shop that uses nitrogen fill your tires.

Try and eliminate all possible sources of air leaks

adidas
06-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Where could you get the tools to break the seal so you could take the tire off?

Not sure of the proper term for this, but would the bike shop carry this?

Edit: Found them at MEC

98type_r
06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Cool thanks. Yeah I'll change out the tubes and hope that works. Are the axioms alright or should I go for something different?

There isn't any reason to change out from the axiom tubes unless you're unhappy with them. I've used a lot of brands through the years and never really ran into a bad manufacturer (they all probably come from the same place anyways). MEC tubes are cheap, I have used them on my commuter for 3-4 years without any issues.

HHURICANE1
06-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Axioms are fine. If you're loosing pressure after 50km you have a leak. Dismount the tire and completely check the inside of the tire for a wire/thorn etc. Then check the rim itself for any sharp edges and make sure the rim strip is in place and not letting a spoke puncture the tube. You should be able to ride 2-3 days without refilling the tire. You can get a set of tire levers at any bike shop.

msommers
06-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Cheers for the advice guys. I'll head to the store and grab some tubes and thoroughly check the rims again. It's happening on both front and back wheels.

swak
06-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Yea dude... Axiom tubes are good (even though theres usually $15 tubes on the shelf next to them - those ones are mainly for the weight weenies... but to be honest, they're reall solid tubes too).

Use tire levers to get tire off - dont use em to put tire on though (greater chance of pinching tube)... Man Up!!

msommers
06-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Only had a chance to hit the bike shop tonight and all they had were specialized tubes, only imagine how expensived those were lol. I'll pop by Bow in the morning.

Khyron
06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Might be a crappy pump that lets out a bunch of air when you release. Check 5 mins after you pump and see if it changes a lot.

I carry everything and the kitchen sink. Heard too many stories of guys getting stuck out of cell coverage and walking out on cleats. Buddy double flatted halfway to Longview, sucked.

4 co2, 2 tubes, patch kit, tire levers, chain breaker, multi-tool, inflator. Helped out a few guys on the side of the road before.