PDA

View Full Version : New Garage Floor - Paint or Tile?

civic_stylez
06-17-2012, 06:05 PM
New garage is almost done and the concrete pad has been poured and is in the drying stage now... been looking at the pros and cons of paint and tile and just looking for some input from the fine people of beyond.

Ive been looking at the 2 part epoxy setup or the interlocking tiles.

Paint is nice and easy but runs a higher chance of scratching. I also like the easy clean option of hose and mop/squeegie clean up.

Tiles will protect better and go together really easy with no adhesive but im concerned about water retention underneath and especially in the winter with all the salt and cracking the concrete over time.

If anyone has a quick .02 on what theyve done, please toss and opinion!

Thanks.

spacerz
06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
If it were me, I would just put some high quality sealer on it and call it a day.

03ozwhip
06-17-2012, 06:19 PM
i have experience with the tiles and i will say, they are a pain in the ass, just go with sealer and paint it.

AndyL
06-17-2012, 06:25 PM
New concrete? Give it a few years to crack and heave first - so you know what your up against...

YamahaV8
06-17-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm currently in the process of painting my garage floor. I also had the same dilemma of paint vs tiles. I was told by quite a few experts that tiles are nice but will collect water, salt and chemicals from your cars. The tiles don't allow the moisture to run off or evaporate and will cause concrete damage over time. Paint does scratch but it can be touched up and protects your concrete. I just decided to epoxy my floor and call it good. Have fun with the etching process. Takes forever to rinse that stuff off.

sillysod
06-17-2012, 09:13 PM
If you don't do mechanical work in the garage definitely tile IMO. But if you use a car jack, weld/cut or work on your car the tiles will look like crap in no time.

Kavy
06-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
New concrete? Give it a few years to crack and heave first - so you know what your up against...

best advice

mr2mike
06-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
If you don't do mechanical work in the garage definitely tile IMO. But if you use a car jack, weld/cut or work on your car the tiles will look like crap in no time.

Second best advice.

civic_stylez
06-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

Good call! Never thought of that.. I definitely use floor jacks and stands in my garage.

Thanks for the input guys!:thumbsup:

mr2mike
06-18-2012, 09:32 AM
You still could I guess but then you'd have to have small sheets of plywood under the jacks to help dissipate the weight. If your car is lowered, this would make it even more fun to get your car in the air.

Tik-Tok
06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
There are floor tiles that are pretty heavy duty, and put up with abuse, but they aren't cheap. Personally, for a brand new floor, I'd epoxy it.