PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a Gold Watch

Neil4Speed
06-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Hey Guys,

I have been scoping out this Raymond Weil watch which is being offered at a pretty good price. My dad likes vintage watches and I think it would be a good fit, but I only want to get it for him if I can get it looking nice. 3

The watch is electroplated in 16k Gold, so I believe that it should be relatively hard enough where It wouldn't rub off the gold, but does anyone know of any watch shops in town that you would trust to properly polish it. People have told me to just use toothpaste, but that seems excessively ghetto.

Thanks in advance.

flipstah
06-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Hey Guys,

I have been scoping out this Raymond Weil watch which is being offered at a pretty good price. My dad likes vintage watches and I think it would be a good fit, but I only want to get it for him if I can get it looking nice. 3

The watch is electroplated in 16k Gold, so I believe that it should be relatively hard enough where It wouldn't rub off the gold, but does anyone know of any watch shops in town that you would trust to properly polish it. People have told me to just use toothpaste, but that seems excessively ghetto.

Thanks in advance.

It's not ghetto. New toothbrush + toothpaste = very shiny gold. I do it to my 18k necklace and bracelet once every 3 months.

Cleans it but doesn't restore it.

Neil4Speed
06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

It's not ghetto. New toothbrush + toothpaste = very shiny gold. I do it to my 18k necklace and bracelet once every 3 months.

Cleans it but doesn't restore it.

Hey! Good to know!

Does it take out mild scratches?

flipstah
06-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Hey! Good to know!

Does it take out mild scratches?

Not really and if you scrub too hard, it will create more.

It's just gentle buffing similar to applying wax. It gets the gunk out and keeps it shining.

Use the paste too! :thumbsup:

snowcat
06-18-2012, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't polish anything plated.

flipstah
06-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Shouldn't the polishes be the same as plated? Its just a layer on top of something...

Now I don't know because mine are pure. :dunno:

Neil4Speed
06-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey Guys, so I ended up picking up this watch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43587714@N05/6149407648/in/photostream/lightbox/

I do want to get a new strap, do you guys think that I should stick to a plain black croc?

flipstah
06-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Hey Guys, so I ended up picking up this watch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43587714@N05/6149407648/in/photostream/lightbox/

I do want to get a new strap, do you guys think that I should stick to a plain black croc?

That's a beauty :drool:

I would go with a black ostrich leather or brown croc leather. The brown makes the gold accents 'pop'.

Where did you get that?! :thumbsup:

Neil4Speed
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM

That's a beauty :drool:

I would go with a black ostrich leather or brown croc leather. The brown makes the gold accents 'pop'.

Where did you get that?! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment and the tip. I picked it up from WUS forum. I have been looking for a super slim watch (~6mm) for my dad for some time, and this was the only one that fit the bill with the complications he wanted. Since it is an informal gift, I want it to look as new as possible. Unfortunately there wasn't really anything new under 1k which fit the criteria. I'm excited overall.

snowcat
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
You could definitely get away with brown as well.

snowcat
06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Shouldn't the polishes be the same as plated? Its just a layer on top of something...

Now I don't know because mine are pure. :dunno:

I don't understand what you're trying to say?

I said that I wouldn't polish anything that had been plated. You will just remove the plating to reveal, most likely, the brass underneath.

flipstah
06-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by snowcat

I don't understand what you're trying to say?

I said that I wouldn't polish anything that had been plated. You will just remove the plating to reveal, most likely, the brass underneath.

This is what I get for skipping ESL class that day.

Carry on.