PDA

View Full Version : RHD insurance help

canadian booster
06-18-2012, 11:59 AM
so i call today to get insurance on the RHD z32 i'm picking up this week so i can drive it back across a couple provinces legally and have a permit, etc..

then she tells in that in alberta nobody will insure me for theft, fire, glass, or collision because it's right hand drive. the only way is if i insure it under 'high risk' with people who have DUIs and licenses suspended, so about $300-$400/month

i'm so fucking mad i could spit fire right now

so you're telling me.. that in 20 years of driving i don't have a single accident and now if some punk kid steals my car i get $0 .. if it's set on fire or vandalised i get $0 ..

PLEASE TELL ME SHE'S WRONG any of you with RHDs! is there anywhere i can go? i pay about $80/month right now for my DD

edit: i pick up the car this friday and drive it back saturday, if this doesn't end well i will put the car in a storage container indefinitely rather than park it on the street in falconridge with no coverage

J.M.
06-18-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm with TD Meloche Monnex and they would only insure my JDM MR2 for a 1 milion liability policy. I asked why they couldn't provide me with fire, theft, etc. coverage and the guy I was speaking to couldn't really give me a clear answer. I think Statefarm can provide full coverage on rhd vehicles? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

gretz
06-18-2012, 12:23 PM
She is wrong... I'm with Intact (ING direct) and have fire+theft on my toy...

canadian booster
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by gretz

i just phoned Intact and they said if it's RHD they won't insure anything on it

edit: maybe you know someone there and got an inside job insurance loop or something

gretz
06-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Nope... I've been with them for a number of years, I've never had any issues... hmmm

guessboi
06-18-2012, 12:59 PM
RHD = most companies only offer 1 way insurance only. No Comp and / or Collision. (Main reason is hard to find parts)

gretz
06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
With an appraisal, I can get full coverage:dunno:

Hard to find parts isn't a reason, look at all of the older muscle cars, model Ts, rat rods, custom vehicles... They would be harder to find parts for than a RHD yet they can still get fully insured...

canadian booster
06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
RHD = most companies only offer 1 way insurance only. No Comp and / or Collision. (Main reason is hard to find parts)

that's what they told me as well, which is BS, i can find parts anywhere any time and 99% of usdm z32 parts fit on the JDM

in sask i had full coverage, but not in alberta.. what a joke.

i've tried to phone a couple places and just not tell them it's RHD but when they hear the vin they know, wtf am i supposed to do then?

canadian booster
06-18-2012, 01:07 PM
With an appraisal, I can get full coverage:dunno:

Hard to find parts isn't a reason, look at all of the older muscle cars, model Ts, rat rods, custom vehicles... They would be harder to find parts for than a RHD yet they can still get fully insured...

maybe i can call your broker directly and just not mention your name incase it affects your policy negatively through my questions?

gretz
06-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Just talked to my broker... you can get PLPD, as well as fire and theft, but the car will only be worth book value (1-2k)... If you get an appraisal, you can get it insured with just about any insurance company, as it is the value of the vehicle being insured, regardless of the car...

canadian booster
06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
just an update, without giving away too many specifics..

one broker calls insurance company A, they won't do it
another broker calls same company A, and they will.. however just out of dumb luck i already have a policy through company A with my daily driver (gtfo as if, what are the odds) so i have to call back the first broker, since they are 'my broker' already .. they call again, no dice.

wtf

i've been on the phone at work for about 3 hours today just calling and trying to find a way around this nonsense

here's a trick that might work.. classic cars.. a couple places will insure my car if it's a 'classic', $700/y for full coverage! .. car must be between 21 and 25 years old (plus photos, inspection, appraisal, etc).. are you kidding me.. mine's a 1992 so they won't accept it this year..

for eff sake :P

i'll keep lookin..

TE4MFaint
06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Allstate.

I had my following JDM vehicle insured through them as well as the costs per month. Collision was not allowed, however I had PLDP, fire, theft, hail, glass.

95 JDM WRX STi - $70/month
94 JDM Celica GTFour - $90/month
91 JDM Celica GTFour - $100/month

This was between ages 21-24. Cheapest I have ever found from calling around when I first purchased my JDM vehicles.

GT4rally
06-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Can't really see the problem here... in my opinion, a car worth under $10,000 isn't cost effective to put collision on.

I bought my BMW five years ago for just under $20K, but last year re-sale dropped to around $10K.. that's when I took collision coverage off of it. It's a calculated risk, but the chances of totaling it (and it also being my fault) is remote. My insurance premium was cut in half, and if I happen to back into a pole in a parking lot, the money saved by eliminating collision will cover it.

Windshield insurance is never worth it, since they are always cracked or chipped anyway, and new windows are very cheap in Calgary. Even a rain sensing windshield for my bimmer is under 300 bucks... and I've only replaced it once in 5 years.

The fire/theft/vandalism is not really an issue either with my BMW, but with a RHD import that appeals to punks, I might be worried. I'd push your agent for that... or get a club, and install an alarm.

I don't know what a Z32 is, but if it's RHD, it must be more than 15 years old, and likely worth less that $10K.

Vr4Whore
06-19-2012, 01:32 AM
mitchell insurance brokers/lungren and young offer full coverage, some other ones will ask you for an appraisal but will give you full coverage.

wintonyk
06-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
Allstate.

I had my following JDM vehicle insured through them as well as the costs per month. Collision was not allowed, however I had PLDP, fire, theft, hail, glass.

95 JDM WRX STi - $70/month
94 JDM Celica GTFour - $90/month
91 JDM Celica GTFour - $100/month

This was between ages 21-24. Cheapest I have ever found from calling around when I first purchased my JDM vehicles.

+1

I was with all state as well. With a 92 JDM MR2. I can't remember how much I was paying.

I even made a claim for vandalism and had no issues.

canadian booster
06-19-2012, 08:37 AM
i can live without collision but a RHD red 300zx z32 twin turbo with no theft, fire, glass, etc makes me nervous.

thanks for the suggestions! gives me a few more places to call today, will let you know how it goes.

i'm buying a club and programming the compustar starter kill switch and alarm, i'd lock a boot on the wheel every night and throw an urban camo netting over it if i had to *lol*

canadian booster
06-19-2012, 08:43 AM
just got off the phone with allstate, they flat out refused to talk to me because it's RHD and said that allstate policy clearly states no imports, all cars must be made for north american market

lame :P

edit: if you have a number i can call, or someone i can talk with, i'll gladly try again

Sorath
06-19-2012, 08:45 AM
sean, you can use td meloche monnex or give my buddy ray a call at 1up insurance

guessboi
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
You can't insure a RHD under classic / modified or customized insurance if this is used for regular transportation and not for pleasure, parades and exhibitions or hobby purposes only. (You usually need an apprasial depending on company and photos for this - the vehicle must be in great condition) and whoever said the car must be between 21 and 25 years old is wrong...

I can only do PL/PD only. Companies no longer offer Collision and Comp for RHD vehicles any more - those had it got coverage grandfathered. I would like to know who offers more than just PL/PD now. TDMM only offers PL/PD.

wintonyk
06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by canadian booster
just got off the phone with allstate, they flat out refused to talk to me because it's RHD and said that allstate policy clearly states no imports, all cars must be made for north american market

lame :P

edit: if you have a number i can call, or someone i can talk with, i'll gladly try again

I will look to see if I can find his card. I will never forget the name because its the rock just spelled differently. duane johnson. He was in the south near canyon meadows.

AFAIK. No insurance company can refuse PLPD in alberta. They can refuse the others though.

I did have an appraisal for my MR2, they wanted to give me book value of 3 at the time and the appraisal was 11.

Looking back though this was probably 2008 if that makes any difference.

canadian booster
06-19-2012, 12:03 PM
so far that sounds right, everyone got grandfather'd in :P
any new rhd insurance won't get anything special, just plpd .. lame..

so lame..

GT4rally
06-20-2012, 10:58 AM
I can understand insurance companies not wanting to cover Evo's and Skyline's, since the body panels are not available in North America... making it a very costly repair if body parts have to be shipped from Japan or Europe.

However; a JDM 300ZX is the same car as the North American 300ZX... but I guess all the JDM cars are all getting painted with the same brush by the insurance companies.

TE4MFaint
06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
To OP: You Have PM.

Gibson
06-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Both of my Skylines have been insured through Intact with zero issues, but as some people have mentioned, only $1 million liability.

How did you get them to do fire and theft? I tried to do this when I had my R32 and they wouldn't. Should maybe try again with my R33.

J-hop
06-21-2012, 01:58 AM
I wonder why only 1 million liability, that is a little low...

Masked Bandit
06-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
I wonder why only 1 million liability, that is a little low...

$1,000,000 is still the standard in Alberta. If you stopped 100 cars at random on Deerfoot, 95 of them would have $1,000,000. We're starting to see a bit of movement to $2,000,000 but it's not mainstream yet.

J-hop
06-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Yea, just seems 1 million doesn't offer you much protection anymore. I don't know why the norm is to just get 1 million, I've always had 2 million so I don't know the price difference but it can't be all that much. My guess is people just figure it couldn't happen to them so they don't care

I am assuming then that you can't put a RHD car under an umbrella with your home/other car insurance to get a total 2 million??

Masked Bandit
06-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Yea, just seems 1 million doesn't offer you much protection anymore. I don't know why the norm is to just get 1 million, I've always had 2 million so I don't know the price difference but it can't be all that much. My guess is people just figure it couldn't happen to them so they don't care

I am assuming then that you can't put a RHD car under an umbrella with your home/other car insurance to get a total 2 million??

You can get $2,000,000 PLPD on RHD no problem at all. It's just that we can't get collision a/o comprehensive (for a reasonable price anyway). We still have some stuff on the books (grandfathered) that is RHD that has full coverage but no new stuff.

TE4MFaint
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Problem solved and insurance is good to go ;)