PDA

View Full Version : CPS new toy spotted "PORTABLE PHOTO RADAR"

jampack
06-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Looks like a box version of R2-D2.. :D

On a serious note, better watch out for those boxes!

EDIT: not sure how my post got on top before the op's posts lol

kevie88
06-18-2012, 08:05 PM
if you see one of these around, tip it over onto it's back.

92_VTEC_lude
06-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Edmonton Police got a new toy, it is a "PORTABLE PHOTO RADAR"
it was spotted by my co-worker this morning and he sent out email to alert us, so I just thought I give Beyonder a waring as well. I do not know if CPS is testing it or it is for real, but it looks like it did take photo of car passing by according to his email.
Quote from his email
"While in Sherwood Park this morning traveling north on
Broadmore road in front of the Costco, I came across a very peculiar
devise sitting on the side of the road.

IT IS A PORTABLE PHOTO RADAR UNIT!!!!

Please see the attached pictures I took of the unit with great risk to
myself as the operator sitting on his ass in the truck got out and told me
I could not take a picture of the unit and could be charged, well here are
the pictures anyways!

Note that these devices are out there and very hard to see if you are not
paying attention. In the couple minutes it took for me to get out and take
these pictures and argue with the guy this unit must have flashed 20 - 25
times because no one is looking for a box on the side of the road...they
look for the trucks!

Just for your FYI.....drive safe all, and don't forget to share this email
with others so we can prevent this cash cow from taken our hard earned
money!!"

dj_rice
06-18-2012, 08:07 PM
EPS are sneaky devils

Heres another of their tactics

http://i.imgur.com/Ew21P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nRKwY.png

92_VTEC_lude
06-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Another photo shot

92_VTEC_lude
06-18-2012, 08:08 PM
from this shot it does look like an utility box on the side of the road

Proyecto2000
06-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Would these show up as K or KA on a radar detector?

dj_rice
06-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 510-Trevor

Is this in Calgary? The email from your co-worker says its in Sherwood Park.

This is in Edmonton. But I'm sure Calgary will follow suit and purchase soon.

FraserB
06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Considering those picture were not even taken in Calgary and the second post is just one of those annoying chain letters, I doubt we'll be seeing them soon in Calgary.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

:thumbsup:

Disoblige
06-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Hope we don't see this in Calgary. They are tougher to spot, but luckily the shit on top of the box is a dead giveaway :thumbsup:

Originally posted by kevie88
Totally would see that happening, but I think there is always a cop monitoring it, no?

510-Trevor
06-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 92_VTEC_lude
CPS got a new toy, it is a "PORTABLE PHOTO RADAR"
it was spotted by my co-worker this morning and he sent out email to alert us, so I just thought I give Beyonder a waring as well. I do not know if CPS is testing it or it is for real, but it looks like it did take photo of car passing by according to his email.
Quote from his email
"While in Sherwood Park this morning traveling north on
Broadmore road in front of the Costco...

Is this in Calgary? The email from your co-worker says its in Sherwood Park.

beyond_ban
06-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Why is this thread such a mess?

SKR
06-18-2012, 08:46 PM
I thought they had these in Lethbridge a few years ago.

Thaco
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
this is Edmonton, since they scrapped the speed on green, this is their new cash cow.

schocker
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Why is this thread such a mess?
Jack Beaton got mod powers and is trying to mess up the information on ray2-dar2
I suppose you could also put a garbage bag over it :rofl:

racerjim
06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
They use these exact things in lethbridge. There is always a cop around the corner because they are not cordless contraptions. Power cord runs to the van so they have to be parked pretty close to it.

I remember hearing on the news someone got in big trouble for shooting one up a little while back.

92_VTEC_lude
06-18-2012, 09:10 PM
confirmed it is from Edmonton when I checked email from work just now
But I would say CPS may have it in Calgary soon too
for me I do have to watch for it when I travel to Edmonton office for work
:guns:

Mar
06-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Put a road cone on top of it.

GoChris
06-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Would it be illegal to tip it over? I guess pointless though if someone is near by to pick it back up.

Jetta-2.0
06-18-2012, 10:48 PM
this is what our tax money is being used for to take more money from us every payday i get im missing 1600 and 1400 going to tax :thumbsdow

DEATH2000
06-19-2012, 12:01 AM
I heard Sherwood Park just nixed their photo enforcement budget so these things are going to disappear.

psycoticclown
06-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by SKR
I thought they had these in Lethbridge a few years ago.

Yep, they've had one in Lethbridge for a while now, got tagged by it on Whoop-up a couple years ago. So lame, impossible to see unless you know what to look for.

max_boost
06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Nice. They never run out of ideas do they? :rofl:

AndyL
06-19-2012, 07:26 AM
:dunno:

Is this not what we started with before they got vehicle mounted? A big frickin box on a tripod?

SKR
06-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

Yep, they've had one in Lethbridge for a while now, got tagged by it on Whoop-up a couple years ago. So lame, impossible to see unless you know what to look for.

Yeah, I was sure I saw them all the time on eastbound Whoop-Up, on the west side of the river. They must have made a fortune there off of people who didn't want to drag their brakes all the way downhill.

m10-power
06-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Nice. They never run out of ideas do they? :rofl:

Companies that make these are motivated by profits they bring in, of course its all about safety though.

Funny that picture of the life size cop with laser gun, already have the police car there, what did the officer go to timmies with a buddy? Stupidest thing I've seen in awhile.

wardpr68
06-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Why can't we be more like the Europeans and just light these things on fire and take baseball bats to them?

spikerS
06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

Companies that make these are motivated by profits they bring in, of course its all about safety though.

Funny that picture of the life size cop with laser gun, already have the police car there, what did the officer go to timmies with a buddy? Stupidest thing I've seen in awhile.

Does not cost them anything to park the cruiser there, and making it obvious, people will automatically slow down. If left there for awhile, people will get used to it, and stop slowing down, and then one day, they swap out the cut out for a real police officer, and start writing tons of tickets.

HK2NR
06-19-2012, 08:40 AM
uvYxXBMqEOM

flipstah
06-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Cheeky little bastards lol. Now I gotta watch out for utility boxes too?! :banghead:

-relk-
06-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Is it illegal to set up something like an ad in front of it, blocking the camera?

canadian booster
06-19-2012, 09:19 AM
walk by and pinch a little thermite onto it, that stuff will burn through it to the ground in seconds .. now if i could only get thermite at dollarama..

MGCM
06-19-2012, 09:27 AM
I like the garbage bag over top idea, in a court of law what could they possibly fine you for covering up that "utility box"

gretz
06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
I like the garbage bag over top idea, in a court of law what could they possibly fine you for covering up that "utility box"

I'm not supposed to post in these threads anymore, but I believe it would be obstruction... or something along those lines. Dayglow, Justgo, Dexlargo, and Phil, care to shed some light on this?

Ignore all of the vandalism and stereotypers in this thread, I'm surprised you haven't chimed in to set these haters straight

HNF88
06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
1.Someone should go deer hunter on these boxes
2. Maybe spray paint the lenses
3. Burn out the camera with a super powerful laser beam

know1edge
06-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
EPS are sneaky devils

http://i.imgur.com/nRKwY.png

what is the point of this? :dunno:
the car kind of gives it away and is already a deterrent and the ones that are speeding won't get caught

Mar
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by know1edge

the car kind of gives it away and is already a deterrent and the ones that are speeding won't get caught
For people to jam on their brakes without checking their mirror and cause accidents. When they weren't speeding in the first place.

Benny
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

They don't necessarily have to collect money during "speed enforcement", even if the majority of the time they will choose to. Sometimes, the aim of the game is to actually encourage people not so speed. They probably have to park a cruiser beside the cutout so that people won't run off with it. I'd love to have that kicking around in my basement somewhere. :rofl:

With regard to the photo radar utility boxes... I'm fucked :(

jonnycat
06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
These boxes are not left completely alone. They run these religiously down here in Lethbridge.

There is always a cop or rent a cop parked in a van just out of sight of the box.

the_game22
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat
These boxes are not left completely alone. They run these religiously down here in Lethbridge.

There is always a cop or rent a cop parked in a van just out of sight of the box.

in medicine hat they use the same van all the time. Its usually easier to spot the van than the box.
On a side note, a couple of years ago I got an email that showed this setup except it was in a garbage can. I'll post it if I can still find the pics.

Moonracer
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by HK2NR
uvYxXBMqEOM

haha that was awesome. I was literally laughing my ass off.

mboldt
06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
EPS are sneaky devils

That cardboard standup reminds me of the blow up officer in the cruiser on Super troopers while he is out fishing lol

forbiddenera
06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

haha that was awesome. I was literally laughing my ass off.

Me too, I've had a terrible fucking day and that cheered me right up. Lmfao.

But yeah I swear, originally we had boxes like that. People flipped and for a bit photo radar was out, until they came back in the vans, being that there's always an officer present operating the equipment, somehow they were allowed. Now that we have ISCs tho, guess anything goes again??

Chantastic
06-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know where they are currently in lethbridge? I 'speed' down whoop up all the time (going like 100 on the downhill). Most people do. I have yet to see one of these, but I've never been on the lookout for them either.

wardpr68
06-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I made a youtube video of it once... not sure if I still have it. I will have to check.

Going whoop up from the west side it is usually on the right side of the road 200 meters before the bridge. The box will be on the right side and a van will be hiding behind the hill on the right.

I will see if I have that video.

TE4MFaint
06-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Wow, you guys just got these?
We have had these in Medicine Hat for the past 2 years.

/old news.

K3RMiTdot
06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
while i was in edmonton a few weeks back, i say cops perched over the overpass with the radar, a few meters down the road are cops to pull you over and issue a ticket... sneaky.

tobypaddock
06-21-2012, 04:55 PM

I was literally laughing my ass off.

no, no you were not.

pet peeve

Offroad
06-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Noise Snare and now this starting to think these guys took over this city :poosie: >>>>>> http://www.streetlegaltv.com/photos/data/500/bosshoggandroscoep_coltraneinhotpursuit.jpg

Hallowed_point
06-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Offroad
Noise Snare and now this starting to think these guys took over this city :poosie: >>>>>> http://www.streetlegaltv.com/photos/data/500/bosshoggandroscoep_coltraneinhotpursuit.jpg

Haha, I think it's more like these guys!

sexualbanana
06-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
while i was in edmonton a few weeks back, i say cops perched over the overpass with the radar, a few meters down the road are cops to pull you over and issue a ticket... sneaky.

They do that on Deerfoot fairly often

wardpr68
06-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot

These are the easiest tickets in the world to fight.

Moonracer
06-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by tobypaddock

no, no you were not.

pet peeve

Oh but I was. Ask the other people in my office. ;)

Mibz
06-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Oh but I was. Ask the other people in my office. ;) I think he'd more likely need to speak with a doctor to confirm that you, literally, laughed your ass off.

Or coroner.

Hallowed_point
06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
If you can sit through that video (remi gallard) with a straight face you need to get your sense of humor checked ;)

Moonracer
06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I think he'd more likely need to speak with a doctor to confirm that you, literally, laughed your ass off.
Or coroner.

Well ultimately there is no way for me to prove is so he'll have to take my word for it.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
If you can sit through that video (remi gallard) with a straight face you need to get your sense of humor checked ;)

:thumbsup: :burnout:

Mibz
06-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Well ultimately there is no way for me to prove is so he'll have to take my word for it. You could take a picture of where your ass used to be. For science.

Moonracer
06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
You could take a picture of where your ass used to be. For science.

:rofl:

Wannago
06-23-2012, 10:57 AM
How well to radar detectors pick these things up? My STi-R Plus has no problems with regual photo radar, but I've neve encountered one of these.

Originally posted by wardpr68

These are the easiest tickets in the world to fight.

Ward, cops use this tactic quite a bit now, primarily with Lidar from what I've seen. What is the premise for the defense?

BlackArcher101
06-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Some much false info.

1. It's not a CPS toy as the title states.
2. It's from Strathcona County.
3. It's not Edmonton as some e-mails are saying. (They tried them for 6 months in 2005).
4. It's not new. Strathcona has been using them for 14 years, but will be scrapping them for uniformed cops this year.
5. CPS will not be getting them anytime soon.
6. Lethbridge has been using them for years.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/06/19/edmonton-dropped-sneaky-cameras

wardpr68
06-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Wannago

Ward, cops use this tactic quite a bit now, primarily with Lidar from what I've seen. What is the premise for the defense?

I won't even bother to go into it as you will just deny its effectiveness.

All I will say is that it has worked for me, and it will work 100 times over.

jonnycat
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Chantastic
Does anyone know where they are currently in lethbridge? I 'speed' down whoop up all the time (going like 100 on the downhill). Most people do. I have yet to see one of these, but I've never been on the lookout for them either.

They usually have one on whoop up going east. He puts it near the electrical box and then backs the van up the break in the coulee.

On hwy 3, they run 2 spots. The first is just before the Mayor Magrath exit west bound, where the limit is 70km and everybody is doing 80kms +. The van hides behind the tress by the train tracks.

Other times he hides in the same place but puts the box on the median right behind the barrier and catches east bound traffic.

Another spot is just after the scenic drive overpass, west bound. The van backs up the hill behind the overpass in the bushes.

Chantastic
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

They usually have one on whoop up going east. He puts it near the electrical box and then backs the van up the break in the coulee.

On hwy 3, they run 2 spots. The first is just before the Mayor Magrath exit west bound, where the limit is 70km and everybody is doing 80kms +. The van hides behind the tress by the train tracks.

Other times he hides in the same place but puts the box on the median right behind the barrier and catches east bound traffic.

Another spot is just after the scenic drive overpass, west bound. The van backs up the hill behind the overpass in the bushes.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks!

petamm
09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Red deer has them setup all over place too