PDA

View Full Version : Tire Help / Review

06-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Hey Beyond - looking for some personal opinions/reviews on this.

The boys over at UrbanX are great to deal with, but instead of wasting to much of their time with my countless questions, as I always turn tire buying into an epic adventure of research and reviews, I want beyonds opinion..

Here are the details and criteria:
2003 Durango, AWD - 4.7L
265/70 R16

Mainly going to be a commuter, typically going to be all deerfoot driving - It wont be going offroad at all either..

Will be driver by myself and the wife, so safety is a concern - I want stable, grippy tires, but on a budget.. typical I know.

Here are my choices from Urban X, feel free to recommend other brands as well as whats below:

Firestone:
Destination A/T
Destination LE-2

General Tire:
Grabber HTS
Grabber AT2 - Had these on my jeep, great tires, but a bit loud

Toyo:
Open Country HT
Open Country AT

What do you think beyond? What are the big differences between an All Terrain and an All Season / Hiway Terrain ?

Budget - Less than $1000

ExtraSlow
06-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Are you planning on running these in the winter as well? Or do you have deidcated winter tires?

06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Sorry - should include, they are going to be ran year round.

r3ccOs
06-19-2012, 08:09 AM
you won't find a much better all year tire for truck than the AT2 or BFG AT, but those are gears for off-road duties as well

Cos
06-19-2012, 08:31 AM

FraserB
06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
you won't find a much better all year tire for truck than the AT2 or BFG AT, but those are gears for off-road duties as well

You randomly click on tire rack and find a dozen better tires than those two.

Go with Toyo OC ATs or Goodyear DuraTracs. You could also look in the Goodyear Silent Armors.

The Firstone tires will get rock hard in the cold as well.

ExtraSlow
06-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

You randomly click on tire rack and find a dozen better tires than those two.

Go with Toyo OC ATs or Goodyear DuraTracs. You could also look in the Goodyear Silent Armors.

The Firstone tires will get rock hard in the cold as well.
DuraTrac isn't a great choice for such a light vehicle, and that tread compound is pretty hard. Silentarmor would be better for this application.

r3ccOs
06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

DuraTrac isn't a great choice for such a light vehicle, and that tread compound is pretty hard. Silentarmor would be better for this application.

I think its all relative... if you need to get out of some deep snow and need the bite with good shoulders and protection... BFG AT really do rock

my buddy has silent armour on his Jeep and likes it, but not as much as the old Goodyear AT/S

CapnCrunch
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Bridgestone Dueler AT 695's.

Awesome tires in snow, rain, ice, super cheap price at costco, very durable.

Edit, also..... extra $70 off coupon until this Sunday.

http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/12MK3900_W_Wk7.pdf

ExtraSlow
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
This is for an on-road application, so i don't think deep snow is the main concern.