PDA

View Full Version : Resume tips (was: Adding Color to Resume)

Gorilla
06-19-2012, 07:44 AM
I noticed a few resume templates that have a little color added. A few years ago this was considered a major No No. Have things changed now? Does adding color possibly give you that edge?

R-Audi
06-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Depends, are you getting a job to make things look pretty?

If not, then NO.

Sugarphreak
06-19-2012, 08:21 AM

Kloubek
06-19-2012, 08:30 AM
I'd use colour very, very sparingly. Ie: A stripe of colour between your information at the top and the rest of the information below, but that's it. That might be enough to make it stand out without looking stupid.

ercchry
06-19-2012, 08:41 AM
i heard using pink scented paper is a good enough reason to let someone into Harvard Law! :rofl:

gretz
06-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i heard using pink scented paper is a good enough reason to let someone into Harvard Law! :rofl:

fag.... wait, I know that reference... double fag lol

ercchry
06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by gretz

fag.... wait, I know that reference... double fag lol

/married life :(

SKR
06-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
If it is done in a tasteful manor it can be good, particularly if you are competing for a job where a lot of other people are applying as well.

What if you don't live in a tasteful manor? My place is a shithole. Am I limited to black and white?

speedog
06-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Simple fonts and bullet form as well - colors, don't really want to see them as they will distract me from the important information I want to see. As a small business owner, anything that goes over 2 pages is a big no-no - my resume from 26.5 years at TELUS was 2 pages and I had moved around a lot in that company and had taken a ton of training, both internal and external. Don't care about training courses from 10+ years ago as they probably aren't relevant anymore especially technology related courses.

Short and simple as my time is valuable and best advice I can give, do not hand me a Block Buster job application with Block Buster scratched out and my company's name scribbled in.

dj_patm
06-19-2012, 11:04 AM
OMG I wish I had pics of some of the resumes I saw working in retail.

Some highlights:
- A few that were hand written

- Printed on bordered paper (Sunflowers really make a resume pop!)

- Having the ability to add and subtract as a "skill"

- Ridiculously over qualified forigeners (Dr's applying for a job a jersey store)

- Strippers :)

ExtraSlow
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree with the 2 page resume. Unless you are a Ph.D. and need to list the papers you've written for a research job, two pages is lots.
Anything over two pages tells me that you don't have the ability to prioritize. To me, that's the most important skill in business.

Colour? I wouldn't suggest it.

M.alex
06-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by speedog
do not hand me a Block Buster job application with Block Buster scratched out and my company's name scribbled in.

That would be awesome; then list 'resource management' as a skill :rofl:

Mar
06-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by speedog
anything that goes over 2 pages is a big no-no
Are you mad?

cover page = 1 page
header / skills / qualifications / first job experience = 1 page
3 more projects of experience = 1 page
1 more project / education / certifications = 1 page

I do contract work so 3 years experience is like 10 jobs for me. I only list the last 5-6 and that's tough to narrow down based on relevance to the project I'm applying for.

flipstah
06-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Are you mad?

cover page = 1 page

I do contract work so 3 years experience is like 10 jobs for me. I only list the last 5-6 and that's tough to narrow down based on relevance to the project I'm applying for.

From what you described, that's actually a CV or curriculum vitae. A resume has to be 2 pages MAX.

Sugarphreak
06-20-2012, 02:36 PM

HomespunLobster
06-20-2012, 05:00 PM
The only color I use on my resume is a bit of blue for my name (which is bolded). Looks pretty sharp. And take off useless shit. I've had quite a few jobs over the last few years, i'm not putting all of them on there. Just the ones that would have key skills which I list on the resume.

ExtraSlow
06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Are you mad?

cover page = 1 page

I don't count the cover page, but yeah, if you handed me a three page resume, plus a cover page, I would be unimpressed.
I guess it depends on the industry. In mine, two pages covers what I need to know, even for people with decades of experience.

Thaco
06-20-2012, 10:08 PM
do whatever it takes to make your resume unique and "jump" out at the employer... they'll usually have 100, of which they will pick 5... if you don't make the 5 you're wasting your time.

msommers
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Colour on a resume sounds tacky as hell.

1 page cover letter + 2 page resume. Done.

scboss
06-21-2012, 12:18 AM
When i was in about to start university i did the unthinkable. I bought extremely light grey paper that was high quality and thick and printed my resume on it. I literally got 7 interviews that week and had a job within days. Just remember if an employer has a stack of 50 resumes there is no way they are going to look at every one.

You gotta have
High quality paper
Zero Spelling mistakes
Nothing from more then 5 years ago(except education)
Cover page or Intro must have to do with the job and bettering your future
No useless skills (only put what you can do not what u think you are)

IMO anything more then 2 pages is retarded unless you are going into a special industry and have to showcase your skills, but even then I would just bring that stuff to the interview.

Business Class 101

Mibz
06-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Are there industries where a cover page is required? I don't think I've used one since I was a teenager.

ercchry
06-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Are there industries where a cover page is required? I don't think I've used one since I was a teenager.

i always use one... but then again i dont normally jump ship unless its a drastic increase... which means i need to use very selective wording in a cover letter to get an interview... once i get that far im a shoe in cause im so pretty :poosie:

hightimes
06-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Cover page = cover letter , yes?

I'm picturing a cover page being nothing but your name in the middle of the page like a cover page for an assignment.

craigcd
06-22-2012, 11:22 AM
So many many submissions strip out all formatting, really dont see the point unnless you are submitting in PDF or in person.

Sugarphreak
06-24-2012, 03:17 PM

J-hop
06-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Colour on a resume sounds tacky as hell.

1 page cover letter + 2 page resume. Done.

^This, and go with a pretty generic format.

The best way to add "colour" to your resume is just to highlight specific skills (i don't mean use the highlight function in word I just mean include them!!!).

For example, most people say stuff like "fluent in excel", which means absolutely nothing, because the average person probably thinks they are fluent in excel by being able to enter formulas and reference cells(with means they aren't really fluent at all in excel!!!!). Put something like "programming macros in excel, updating spreadsheets etc". Instead of being super generic about things, be specific, but be concise at the same time, short and to the point.

Make sure your formatting is as generic as possible. If an HR person has to search around your resume for information they aren't going to give you the attention you deserve.

Obviously references don't go on your resume, and on that note NEVER EVER put "references available upon request" on your resume. Durrrrrrrr the person looking at your resume hires people for a living, they know they can request references and if you want a job you are going to have to provide them, that's a given....

swak
06-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Obviously references don't go on your resume, and on that note NEVER EVER put "references available upon request" on your resume. Durrrrrrrr the person looking at your resume hires people for a living, they know they can request references and if you want a job you are going to have to provide them, that's a given....

Normally i don't read too much into your posts... But whats wrong with this?

I actually put that on my resume, i see it rather as a courtesy, than a "im giving you the privilege of asking for my references, knowing you require them".

I don't think they'd throw out a resume because of this. If they do.... Well, f- em.

Tram Common
06-25-2012, 12:35 AM
My opinion, keep your cover letter under 300 words and your resume to one page... and no colour... unless you're "an artist."

msommers
06-25-2012, 12:04 PM
See as somebody that reviews resumes on a pretty regular basis, I like to see this kind of stuff because it means the person has put some thought into it. Somebody that takes the time, resources and effort to put together a unique and professional looking resume will always get bonus points in my books because it shows initiative, and frankly most applicants in Calgary lack that.

See I had always heard that doing something like even shaded paper was a big no no. Guess it all depends on the resume reviewer!

I've had normal employees and resume reviewers look at my resume and they all say it looks solid and professional. Then I talk to someone in HR and they're always like "Make it something that will stand out cuz I have 300 resumes to look at!" So annoying.

Personally I like to sign cover letters as well for that personal touch, then scan them in as a PDF.

I like doing this as well.

CompletelyNumb
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Guess it all depends on the resume reviewer!

This.

I have a small strip of colour on mine, makes it stand out a bit but not in your face.

BrknFngrs
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised to see 2 page resumes as being the norm in this thread; I've always restricted my resume to 1 page (single side) and I was under the impression that was the general expectation.

swak
06-25-2012, 01:43 PM
1 page seems really really short IMO.
Never had a 1 pager since my first job haha...

Too experienced Brah!

~Leah~
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
According to most HR professionals I've talked to, max 1 page cover letter (short and to the point), and 2 page resume at 10 pt. font at minimum is the way to go. Anything over 2 is too long, and under 2 suggests you don't have much to say for yourself.

My first page is my personal info, education, relevant certifications/awards, relevant specific skills, then 2nd page is my work and volunteer experience.

EDIT: As for color, I think there are other ways to make your resume stand out... I feel color is slightly unprofessional, perhaps one line is OK. I think formatting can make a resume stand out a lot. Not MS Word templates these people see every day.

Sugarphreak
06-25-2012, 03:27 PM

ercchry
06-25-2012, 03:34 PM

I usually just dismiss resumes of people who bounce between companies every 1 to 2 years.

so you are looking for a machine and not a free thinking individual? why should i be punished for trying to advance my own career when the company i was with couldnt give two shits about my development?

looking at "lifers" i would say they make terrible progressive employees as they just settle into a role and give up on life for 10+ years :nut:

msommers
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Assessing whom will be looking at your resume, and what types of qualities are important to that person is paramount to your success in getting hired. With that said, I don't think there is a definitive right and wrong way to do it.

It's definitely a big factor. Dealing with HR resume reviewers who think they run the company is another hurdle to deal with all together.

Of course you could just know someone in the company who can turn in your resume internally! Then you don't have to deal with the hassle(s) of HR in the first place :rofl:

Mibz
06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
so you are looking for a machine and not a free thinking individual? why should i be punished for trying to advance my own career when the company i was with couldnt give two shits about my development?

looking at "lifers" i would say they make terrible progressive employees as they just settle into a role and give up on life for 10+ years :nut: A million times this. To judge somebody for leaving after a year or two is, IMO, ridiculous. There are so many legitimate reasons to leave a company, it should be your job as an interviewer to figure out what they were for that specific person.

chkolny541
06-25-2012, 05:59 PM
i would believe that if it was just a one off event, then it wouldnt be viewed as a big deal. But if someone just jumps ship every year for the last 5 jobs then obviously something is up

Sugarphreak
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Mar
06-25-2012, 07:12 PM
PDF shouldn't be used, it's not supported by a lot of the parsing software used by human resources.

How do you put a resume on one page? What is on it?

BananaFob
06-25-2012, 08:12 PM

To be clear, I am talking about people who have a spotty work history of bouncing between companies every 1 to 2 years.

You can glorify it as "free thinking", but this type of behavioral pattern isn't motivated by people trying to advance their careers. It is driven by either restlessness, personality problems, or the willingness to just get up and leave as soon as another offer is put on the table regardless of how it impacts their current work. None of which are desirable qualities.

Look at this from a company stand point; people are an asset, you invest in them when you hire. If you assets just start walking out the door in the middle of a major work push, it screws you. I've been left holding the bag more times than I can count; doing the work of 3 or 4 people sometimes. I never hold it against the person, we all need to look out for #1. But when it comes to picking my next team I try to build one that I can count on.

Personally I like to see people that commit to see their work, take pride in it and care about getting it finished. It usually yields better quality, but also means they are interested in more than just a paycheck. That usually shows up in employees that have 4 to 10 years of continuous employment at each company they work at.

You give me the choice between two people that have exactly the same qualifications, only one has been jumping from ship to ship while another has been steadily employed... I will take the one with solid work history every time.

+1. You have to consider the time (and money!!) invested in the entire recruitment stage and training. For some positions, a company may not break even on an individual for over a year after hiring. It's not unheard of for companies to spend tens of thousands at the recruitment stage...

ercchry
06-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I think it depends at what point you are at in your career, for me if I slave away at a position for a year or two only to be greeted with empty promises over and over again and my only pathway towards advancement is waiting for the lifers with 30 years at the company to die... Guess what I'm doing?

M.alex
06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
I think it depends at what point you are at in your career, for me if I slave away at a position for a year or two only to be greeted with empty promises over and over again and my only pathway towards advancement is waiting for the lifers with 30 years at the company to die... Guess what I'm doing?

Empty canisters of warfrin into the water cooler to speed up their retirement?

Tram Common
06-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Anything over 2 is too long, and under 2 suggests you don't have much to say for yourself.

I completely disagree. If you can't condense it down to one page then I think you're probably saying too much... we don't need to know about your first job outside of high school.

One of the biggest tips I can give as a writer on this subject... don't restate your resume in your cover letter.

I read so many cover letters that begin with, "I graduated in..." or, "My last position..."

Your cover letter should not be you simply putting your resume into sentences.

dj_patm
06-26-2012, 08:20 AM
I had to do a resume course to apply for work terms and one thing I learned is to not list your "skills" generically.

Example:

Skill:
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Able to multi-task
... etc

A section like that is useless to an employer. What I was taught is to list the skill and then an example or two of how you applied/acquired that skill through experience:

Able to multi-task
- Managed 3 different projects simultaneously in my previous position which .... blah blah blah
- Was able to successfully balance full-time work with schooling for ….

This shows that you’re not just listing off random crap because you think it would look good on your resume and if you do 2 points for 3 or 4 skills that’s already going to take up most of a page before you even get into your experience. You just have to make sure you’re not redundant so when you do your work experience you strictly talk about your main responsibilities.

Two pages or bust.

Mibz
06-26-2012, 09:27 AM
This is exposing a very clear difference between industries.

I switched to contract IT work about a year ago and every recruiter I talk to requires that I have a section on my resume dedicated to "skills". Just a list of gear and software that I've worked on and am experienced with. No verbs, no explanations, just a bullet point list of vendors, makes, models, versions, etc.

My resume right now is 2/3 page skills, 1/3 education/certs/whatever, 1 page experience. As long as I'm getting work, I'm not gonna question it :P

sputnik
06-26-2012, 09:38 AM
This is exposing a very clear difference between industries.

I switched to contract IT work about a year ago and every recruiter I talk to requires that I have a section on my resume dedicated to "skills". Just a list of gear and software that I've worked on and am experienced with. No verbs, no explanations, just a bullet point list of vendors, makes, models, versions, etc.

My resume right now is 2/3 page skills, 1/3 education/certs/whatever, 1 page experience. As long as I'm getting work, I'm not gonna question it :P

:werd:

This is exactly how I have been writing my resume for the past 10+ years. Hasn't failed me yet.

~Leah~
06-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Ditto.

Originally posted by Tram Common

I completely disagree. If you can't condense it down to one page then I think you're probably saying too much... we don't need to know about your first job outside of high school.

One of the biggest tips I can give as a writer on this subject... don't restate your resume in your cover letter.

I read so many cover letters that begin with, "I graduated in..." or, "My last position..."

Your cover letter should not be you simply putting your resume into sentences.

Mar posted this before, but I have no idea how someone with education and experience and a specific skill set can fit a resume on one page.

BrknFngrs
06-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Mar posted this before, but I have no idea how someone with education and experience and a specific skill set can fit a resume on one page.

I think this might be another industry specific situation then; accounting and finance 1 page resume's seem to be the norm from what I've seen/used.

Most of these resume's would include post secondary education highlights, professional designations, work experience and unique skills; so I don't think its a matter of the individuals not having enough to discuss. There is definetly very little detail though, more of just a hit-list type overview of points that can be discussed in detail in an interview.

For individuals using a 2 page resume format; are you including "soft" items in your resume? Hobbies, etc?

~Leah~
06-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

For individuals using a 2 page resume format; are you including "soft" items in your resume? Hobbies, etc?

First page - education (1 degree, 1 diploma); scholarships (could be considered soft, but being less than a year out of university wanted to include it); certifications/professional designations; skills (so many areas in marketing one could specialize in)

Second page - relevant experience (including university internship, and 'real' work history); relevant volunteer work (i.e. World Juniors, etc - specific to the industry)

That's for a very specific industry - sports marketing.

Sugarphreak
06-26-2012, 12:51 PM

JfuckinC
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM

To be clear, I am talking about people who have a spotty work history of bouncing between companies every 1 to 2 years.

You can glorify it as "free thinking", but this type of behavioral pattern isn't motivated by people trying to advance their careers. It is driven by either restlessness, personality problems, or the willingness to just get up and leave as soon as another offer is put on the table regardless of how it impacts their current work. None of which are desirable qualities.

Look at this from a company stand point; people are an asset, you invest in them when you hire. If you assets just start walking out the door in the middle of a major work push, it screws you. I've been left holding the bag more times than I can count; doing the work of 3 or 4 people sometimes. I never hold it against the person, we all need to look out for #1. But when it comes to picking my next team I try to build one that I can count on.

Personally I like to see people that commit to see their work, take pride in it and care about getting it finished. It usually yields better quality, but also means they are interested in more than just a paycheck. That usually shows up in employees that have 4 to 10 years of continuous employment at each company they work at.

You give me the choice between two people that have exactly the same qualifications, only one has been jumping from ship to ship while another has been steadily employed... I will take the one with solid work history every time.

What about contractors? i wouldn't be anywhere near as advanced into my career if i didn't make moves as often as i did. I go where the (hard) work is. That's how you make moves in your career, not staying in one spot getting held back by upper management(personal experience haha) or being pigeon holed into one expertise in a big ass corporation(P&ID guy :barf: )..

But that's just my experience in my own industry, im fairly certain other industries do work QUITE different haha..

EDIT: my resume is 3 pages, 2 of work expereince and 1 of skills and what ever else.. it's probably not that good of a resume to be honest, i like to think my personality gets my foot in the door for most of my jobs, then i just kill it work wise :rofl:

ercchry
06-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

But that's just my experience in my own industry, im fairly certain other industries do work QUITE different haha..

i feel the same way, best part is all 3 of us are in the same industry :rofl: (to an extent)

JfuckinC
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM

i feel the same way, best part is all 3 of us are in the same industry :rofl: (to an extent)

ya pretty much haha :poosie:

EDIT: also, i've been at my current job for a year now and want to stay at it for a while longer, so maybe im over the jumping around situation? haha got where i needed to be and now i'll settle :D

and sugar, from the drafting thread i understand you've been in the industry a long while and seem smart. So i do truly respect your opinion i just see things differently!

ercchry
06-26-2012, 02:25 PM
yeah like i said earlier i think it comes down to what point you are at in your career. for me i know what i want and what experience i need to get there. unfortunately it cant always be offered by one employer

Mibz
06-26-2012, 02:37 PM
yeah like i said earlier i think it comes down to what point you are at in your career. for me i know what i want and what experience i need to get there. unfortunately it cant always be offered by one employer Yup. One of the benefits of being contract is that I'm regularly forced to go interview every 3-6 months and I always know what sort of work is out there, so it's a lot easier to figure out what I want. Also, if my current company isn't keeping me busy then what the hell are they paying me for? Seems like a win/win for me to go find interesting work elsewhere, haha.

Bottom line, I'm gonna look out for myself and my family and if any interviewer were to ask me why I haven't spent more than 2 years at the same place they'd get honest answers for each one. I ran out of work, I got an amazing opportunity, this rage2 guy was a fucking prick (some answers are less honest than others :P), I wasn't challenged, etc. If that potential employer doesn't think they can keep me busy and happy for the duration of my contract then they don't want me and I don't want them, simple as that. To throw away a resume based on arbitrarily short experience seems weird to me unless every position you hire for is meant to be long-term/lifer.

I meant to type like 3 sentences, geez.

Sugarphreak
06-26-2012, 04:26 PM

J-hop
06-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Mar
PDF shouldn't be used, it's not supported by a lot of the parsing software used by human resources.

How do you put a resume on one page? What is on it?

Unless they are using some archaic software they should be able to pull from a pdf. I always submitted resume's in pdf format.

I think swak commented on my no references in Resume, that is pretty much standard as far as I know (not to include references on a resume, i've been told that at several resume builder work shops), and if you can fit references on a Resume that is a pretty darn short resume, that or you are packing it in too small which isn't all that great, white space is your friend!!

100% of the jobs I have applied for have had separate sections to enter your references outside of your resume submission.

By definition a resume shouldn't include references:
A brief account of one's professional or work experience and qualifications

swak
06-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Reread my post.... Of course resumes shouldn't include references.

J-hop
06-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by swak
Reread my post.... Of course resumes shouldn't include references.

sorry, reading quickly on iphone fail. But yea you really shouldn't put that on your resume or cover letter. As I said it is implied by you applying for a job that you have references. I have never applied at a place that didn't require references, and if you don't provide them you don't get hired, simple as that. Putting the "references available upon request" line on is cliche and won't look good IMO

A790
06-27-2012, 08:46 AM
A million times this. To judge somebody for leaving after a year or two is, IMO, ridiculous. There are so many legitimate reasons to leave a company, it should be your job as an interviewer to figure out what they were for that specific person.
It gives me the impression that the person I'm recruiting may be a flight risk. This is also heavily weighted based on the level/types of previous jobs that they've had.

sputnik
06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by A790

It gives me the impression that the person I'm recruiting may be a flight risk. This is also heavily weighted based on the level/types of previous jobs that they've had.

Given the unstable economy we have been seeing over the past 4+ years it would be quite presumptuous to assume a "flight risk" based on looking at the resume alone.

I have seen many IT shops (since that is my area of expertise) change out from under their employees on more than one occasion where budgets are cut heavily. And while the employees may still be getting a paycheque their jobs have been cut down to routine maintenance and documentation with all training and new projects cut dramatically.

This can be stifling and boring for many skilled professionals.

Mibz
06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by A790

It gives me the impression that the person I'm recruiting may be a flight risk. This is also heavily weighted based on the level/types of previous jobs that they've had. I completely understand that, but all you have to do is ask and I imagine most people will be upfront. If you ask me if I'm at risk to leave at the drop of a hat, I'll say no and tell you that if you keep me busy with interesting work and the pay is fair then it would take the opportunity of a lifetime to cause me to leave. Like I said earlier, if the employer doesn't think that they can promise relatively consistent work to me then yes, there's a good chance I'll leave as soon as something better comes along. They don't want me working there and I don't want to work there either so we avoid the situation altogether by saying thanks but no thanks to each other.

That said, right now I can afford to have this attitude because I'm extremely lucky to be in a position where I can turn down work. If things got tough and I desperately needed something then you bet your ass I'm gonna show some extra loyalty to whoever helps me.

It's just not as black and white as you guys are making it sound and it's one of the many things that should be asked in an interview, not assumed from a resume.

icky2unk
06-27-2012, 12:39 PM
According to most HR professionals I've talked to, max 1 page cover letter (short and to the point), and 2 page resume at 10 pt. font at minimum is the way to go. Anything over 2 is too long, and under 2 suggests you don't have much to say for yourself.

My first page is my personal info, education, relevant certifications/awards, relevant specific skills, then 2nd page is my work and volunteer experience.

EDIT: As for color, I think there are other ways to make your resume stand out... I feel color is slightly unprofessional, perhaps one line is OK. I think formatting can make a resume stand out a lot. Not MS Word templates these people see every day.

As previously stated, it is all industry specific. You will find many accounting/finance majors will have 1 page resumes which highlight only the key items.

Education & Relevant Classes, Awards & Scholarships, Work Experience, 1-2 Lines of extra curriculars and done

stealth
07-09-2012, 09:23 PM
All of you guys saying that no colour should be on a resume are out to lunch.

I have red and grey on mine, and always get complimented on my resume. Not a lot of colour, but enough to make it stand out.

Super_Geo
07-09-2012, 10:44 PM

Depends on the industry.

When I was in engineering, 2 page resumes were the norm.

When I transitioned into finance, I was told by pretty much everyone I talked to that 1 page resumes were the norm.

It wasn't until I transitioned to a 1 pager (and it wasn't easy, easily took 10-15hrs to re-write sections, make stuff more concise, take out useless info, etc) that I realized how verbose and off-point a lot of my previous resume was. People don't care about the really fine details, so don't drag your resume down with that.

I have a few things that make my application stand out. I scan a handwritten signature (blue ink cause it stands out more) and paste it into the close of my email cover letter, and I PDF my resume.

I read earlier in the tread that PDFing a resume was bad because it can't be parsed correctly... well, I hate to break it to you, but if your resume is going to get parsed, then you're doing it really fucking wrong. Network, find out who is actually going to be hiring (not the HR person who has no fucking idea what the job actually is) and send it directly to them. Ideally, get the person you networked with to print out a copy of your resume as well and have them drop it off in person a day after you apply.

403Gemini
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM

looking at "lifers" i would say they make terrible progressive employees as they just settle into a role and give up on life for 10+ years :nut:

Have to think of it this way as well as the company:

If a person got hired at a company, then got extensive training, only to jump ship 6-8 months later - it looks sketchy.

My company sent me to the states for a program that cost them about $8000. If I just got hired, and the company sent me to this program and then 6 months later I apply for another job, how does that look? Looks like I'm milking companies for knowledge/training and trying to up my pay. Which is smart, yes, but will leave any company that hires you second guessing if you are going to stick around.

ercchry
07-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Have to think of it this way as well as the company:

If a person got hired at a company, then got extensive training, only to jump ship 6-8 months later - it looks sketchy.

My company sent me to the states for a program that cost them about $8000. If I just got hired, and the company sent me to this program and then 6 months later I apply for another job, how does that look? Looks like I'm milking companies for knowledge/training and trying to up my pay. Which is smart, yes, but will leave any company that hires you second guessing if you are going to stick around.

if the company is actually helping you progress, GREAT! why would you be looking for another job?

on top of that most companies have schedules in place for this kind of event where if you stick around for x number of years the total cost is covered, any time under that its a percentage.

HiTempguy1
07-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I read earlier in the tread that PDFing a resume was bad because it can't be parsed correctly... well, I hate to break it to you, but if your resume is going to get parsed, then you're doing it really fucking wrong. Network, find out who is actually going to be hiring (not the HR person who has no fucking idea what the job actually is) and send it directly to them. Ideally, get the person you networked with to print out a copy of your resume as well and have them drop it off in person a day after you apply.

It doesn't work like that at a LOT of larger corporate type of places anymore.

Your resume/cover letter MUST go through the "machine" that is HR so they can validate their existence. I've done exactly what you've said, but the person has no control over that, under most circumstances (again, in a larger corporate type setting) the resume you hand off must still go BACK through HR. It's ridiculous.

msommers
07-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah that's a big problem and one of the reasons why HR gets such a bad rep from everyone that isn't HR. Even people looking to make a position have to go through HR, even if they know who they want to hire!

D'z Nutz
09-22-2012, 12:16 PM
So I'm updating my resume right now and I didn't realize it's been 8 years since my most recent version and that was for an internship. Do people still put things like objectives and interests/hobbies on their resume? Or is that just space filler they tell students to do? Haha

chkolny541
09-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
So I'm updating my resume right now and I didn't realize it's been 8 years since my most recent version and that was for an internship. Do people still put things like objectives and interests/hobbies on their resume? Or is that just space filler they tell students to do? Haha

How I was told about this section is that it is somewhat important, it is able to tell HR what else interests you outside of work and gives more information about your personality (its also great to talk about at interviews btw). However, you certainly shouldnt shorten more important sections just to have your hobbies expanded upon. ya know.

Sugarphreak
09-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Maybelater
09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Since this is the "resume advice thread" now imma ask this question here.

I started working in the Oil Field a few months ago, the job I got isn't the right fit for me (the compensation isn't very good and I could be making more doing other things). I would prefer that I could include that I worked in the Oil Field before on my resume because it would help show that I know what to expect from the environment.

How should I go about this? Keep it off my resume and look inexperienced? Keep it on and risk having the employer thing I can't handle the work and flaked out? Wait until the interview to explain?

The other issue is I could leave a small gap in my employment, but I figure the employer might notice the long period between when I got my certificates and now, which might may look like I am not serious/procrastinating.

:confused: :confused:

Sugarphreak
09-26-2012, 06:10 AM

DRKM
09-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Given the unstable economy we have been seeing over the past 4+ years it would be quite presumptuous to assume a "flight risk" based on looking at the resume alone.

I have seen many IT shops (since that is my area of expertise) change out from under their employees on more than one occasion where budgets are cut heavily. And while the employees may still be getting a paycheque their jobs have been cut down to routine maintenance and documentation with all training and new projects cut dramatically.

This can be stifling and boring for many skilled professionals.

100% agree.
Im in R&D and we are heavily invested in projects that don't require electrical/embedded expertise. This has resulted in a large set back in the development of a few designs.

It is more then a little demoralizing when you work for months on hardware/embedded designs and they are getting shelved due to budgeting issues.

Luckily for me I have loads of work to do since I require very little over head/hardware for initial development. But the EE's are wandering around doing make work. We are getting paid, but to do very little and see no real projects come to fruition.

Boring and stifling to say the least.

themack89
09-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I went to resume assistance held by 'professionals.' The lady told me not to put objective on your resume because the person who goes over it obviously knows what your objective is because you applied for the god damn job. Told me its redundant.

She also told me to keep in mind you only have about 30 seconds to catch the reader, because of this, she told me to take out my objective and throw in highlights of what I think the value is I would bring to the firm (among whatever other highlights).

D'z Nutz
09-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by themack89
The lady told me not to put objective on your resume because the person who goes over it obviously knows what your objective is because you applied for the god damn job. Told me its redundant.

Yeah, I always wondered about that. Seemed like such a stupid thing to put. No shit you're looking for a job.

Although I do have to laugh; I know a guy who applied for a job just so he could get an interview and yell at them for their crappy business practices :rofl: How would you word that in an objective? Haha

Mibz
09-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Your avatar gets me every time.