PDA

View Full Version : Athabasca University

Darren333
02-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Is there anyone who's had experience trying to job hunt with an Athabasca degree?

I work full time and I'm considering whether to try getting my Bachelor of Administration degree through Athabasca. It's not to advance in my current job, just to make sure I'm employable if I ever get laid off. Given the amount of work and time that would be involved in trying to go this route I wanted to make sure it would be worthwhile. Is a degree from Athabasca considered valid, or just another 'mail-order' degree?

Would I be just as well off with a business or computer certificate from SAIT or U of C to compliment my job experience? I've been struggling with this decision for a while so any advice or experiences anyone could relate, or opinions on Athabasca, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

20incheyes
02-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Athabasca is one of the 3 internationally registered post-secondary schools in Calgary along with the U and MRC. This means with an Athabasca degree you can get into chartered programs (CA , CFA), get a good masters from an accredited school, or even look for new possibilites. A friend transfered there and completed his BCOM and ended up getting a great job in Virginia for Captial One. I think Athabasca is just getting started and they know they have a good product since it's comfortable for many students who can still work 8-5

civic_ek4
02-06-2004, 03:43 PM
I am a current student with Athabasca, and I should be finish this April. I am in the B.Mgt program majoring in accounting. One of the interesting thing is that after this degree I will be qualify to write the CMA entrance exam and I think the CGA as well. If I were to go CA I would need to take 1 or 2 more classes. If not I can transfer to UofC or UofVic for a masters. Or to other university for a B.ED or B.Arts this would take about one and half years.

AU is pretty good, it's not all online. Mine is through classroom experience.

max_boost
02-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey civic_ek4, where do you take your courses for Athabasca? (You mentioned in class)

Good to hear some good reviews on Athabasca, most people just bash because it's correspondence and the U of C is the greatest school on Beyond. :rofl:

I'm considering pacing myself through the Accounting post diploma degree but I don't know how well I can motivate myself for success. Correspondence is hard! I plan to fire my accountant if I become one! haha:devil:

civic_ek4
02-06-2004, 07:33 PM
I am in Lethbridge, the corrdinator here set up classroom lectures at the community college. Mine is a 3-yr B.Mgt program, 10 more classes after your diploma and you have a degree. It is the quickest route if you want to get a designation.

It really depends on what type of learner you are. I am a more show me and lecture type of person. So the classroom experience is great. Otherwise unless you can manage your time really well and self motivated, I wouldn't choose distance.

max_boost
02-08-2004, 12:15 AM
I thought you said you were majoring in Accounting? According to the website, Accounting is a 4 year program and the only 3 year programs offered are Management/HR&Industrial Relations/Health Administration:dunno:

civic_ek4
02-08-2004, 02:42 PM
I am majoring in Accounting and it is a 3yr B.Mgt degree. I think the 4yr accounting one is under B.Comm and B.Mgt and that wasn't offered in Lethbridge. There was like 20 of us after the 2yrs college diploma program in accounting and they might of stretch the rules for us. You got to think about is that if it wasn't one year shorter why would people go AU?? There is about 50 AU students graduating in Lethbridge this april.

max_boost
02-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Yah, I checked the website again, Accounting is now a four year program! The 1 year post diploma was the reason why I wanted to go the Athabasca route. I guess I'll have to re-consider now

civic_ek4
02-08-2004, 08:25 PM
i think they might still run the accounting program next year but i am not so sure. But even if they do, would you want to drive down for 5hrs of classes Monday to thursday??

max_boost
02-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Oh I wasn't planning to drive down for classes, I'll stick to the correspondence route but 10 classes is better than 20 if that was still available for the Accounting program.

civic_ek4
02-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Yeah, i went and talked to her. She told me that Lethbridge is the only place that will offer it and it's the only place in Canada that will offer an accounting degree in post diploma 3yr. program. Taking the 10 class will only take 8 months. I think it is $515 per class so $5150 for 8 months. I think it would be worth it but it depends how well your current employment pays you.

digi355
11-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Bump to one of the oldest threads I've seen..

I'm working full time and was thinking of going the AU route to get a B.Com. I was just wondering if there was anyone on Beyond that's finished, what their experience was like, how quickly they were able to finish, what it was like balancing work and school, stuff like that?

I would really appreciate a grad or 2 posting some insight for me.