xolemonteaox
06-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Beer Revolution

1080 8 Street Southwest, Calgary, AB T2R 0E5
(403) 264-2739
Food Rating: 8.5/10
Ambience: 8/10
Service: 10/10

Went to Beer Revolution on Friday because National and Craft was crazy packed. Was very glad we made a stop there.

First off, we had the Friday Cask beer and the Peach Fuzz (both 16 oz.). The Cask beer wasn’t as carbonated, so it didn’t taste that good, it tastes bitter and leaves a bitter taste lingering in your mouth. The Peach Fuzz on the other hand was pretty good. It smelled and tasted like peaches.

Had the Bavarian Pretzels and Nachos to start. The pretzels came with 3, it was still steaming hot when it got to us. The pretzels were soft and moist, and the aioli that came with it gives the pretzels a little kick to it! Though it had a little too much salt on the middle of the pretzel like my liking, you can easily scrap it off.

As for the nachos, it isn’t as big as the ones you get from Classic Jack’s or Hudson’s, but I really liked it. The fresh slivers of green onion on the nachos won me over. And to separate themselves from Hudson’s and Classic Jack’s a little more, they had banana peppers on them! At the beginning, it was really crispy and wasn’t soggy, even with the amount of cheese that was on it. Near the end of the meal, the chips got extremely soggy, probably because of the cheese and tomato. If we polished it off earlier, we wouldn't have had that problem. But nonetheless, I really liked it.
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9517/p1000247h.jpg http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/640/p1000248a.jpg

Next, we had the Blazing Saddle Pizza. The pizza is ~12 inches and was cut into 10 slices. The crust is very thin, crispy, and not oily. The pizza was a little spicy with the Cajun powder and banana peppers. The crispy onions added some texture and the arugula added some freshness to it. Didn’t really notice the taste of the steak because of all the spice and the sauce, but it was tender. The bacon was soft and smoky.
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4608/p1000250xu.jpg

Finished the night off with a Ginger Ale and a Hoegaarden. The bill after tax and tip was $85. The server was amazing, checked out all her tables and was very nice and friendly. The hostess/manager was a very nice and friendly guy as well. Sent us a text instead of calling to tell us our table was ready, first time!
It’s a pretty small place for a pub, will definitely check it out again when there’s a game on!
Definitely going back to try out other items on the menu.
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/5749/p1000252h.jpg

lasimmon
06-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Was there Monday night. Server joined us at the strippers when she got off work hahah. Pretty good place.

hurrdurr
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Went here for a work function. It was pretty good!

Pizza spring rolls are good if you're into the deep fried thing and the buffalo chicken pizza is also nice. Reminds me off California Pizza Kitchen in the states

Euro_Trash
06-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of Beer Revolution. I think they have some of the best nachos in town, and the Buffalo Wing pizza is to die for.

rage2
06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Glad to see they finally changed the receipt to say Beer Revolution. It just said Brewsters for the longest time.

16% tip for amazing service tho? Isn't that kinda low?

hurrdurr
06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Depends on race

1. Tips from Blacks are, on average, lower than those from Whites;
2. Black-White differences in restaurant tipping are not caused solely by race differences in socio-economic status;
3. Black-White differences in restaurant tipping are evident among the middle-class as well as the lower-class;
4. Black-White differences in restaurant tipping do not disappear when both groups get comparable service;
5. Blacks tip less than Whites even when the server is Black;
6. Blacks are much less familiar with the 15- to 20-percent restaurant tipping norm than are Whites;
7. Blacks tip less than do Whites in many (but not all) other service contexts; and
8. Asian-White and Hispanic-White differences in tipping are smaller, less robust, and have drawn less attention than Black-White differences in tipping.

403ep3
06-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Tried this place once and I thought it was good. I think I had the buffalo wing pizza too!

The eye candy isn't bad while having lunch too;)

Jeff TYPE R
06-27-2012, 11:53 AM
16% tip for amazing service tho? Isn't that kinda low? Hahaha called out.

I love Beer Rev. I go there a couple times a month. For someone who is into beer and not in a douchey way, this place is perfect. They have a rotating tap that is reflected on their airport style arrivals TVs. The selection is always interesting and the prices are fair and reasonable. Same goes for the food, which I think is good, though the pizzas are over-salted.

lemontea, certain beers are supposed to be bitter.

xolemonteaox
06-27-2012, 12:31 PM
16% tip for amazing service tho? Isn't that kinda low? My bad, I should be better with my words. The service was good, but I shouldn't have used the word amazing. This place got 10/10 for service because of the servers and the host/manager.

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
lemontea, certain beers are supposed to be bitter. I know, I just thought it was more bitter than others.

Disoblige
06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
From Comedian Louis CK:

We go right to the top shelf with our words now.

“Dude, it was amazing!”

“Really? You were amazed? You were amazed…by a basket of chicken wings? Really? Amazing? What are you gonna do with the rest of your life now? What if something really happens to you? What if Jesus comes down from the sky, makes love to you all night long, and leaves the new living lord in your belly. What are you gonna call that? You used amazing on a basket of chicken wings! You’ve limited yourself verbally to a shit life!”

Haha :D

It's all good lemontea.

max_boost
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm only going to use the word "amazing" when my mind is actually blown. Food from now will just taste "good".

Beer Revolution was really good when we went, even better when Tomco paid the bill haha

xolemonteaox
06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I'm only going to use the word "amazing" when my mind is actually blown. Food from now will just taste "good". Meeee toooo. As you guys can tell, my vocabulary if quite limited. Have mercy!

btimbit
07-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Had a few of their beers but never actually been there. Thanks for the review!

Feruk
07-25-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm a fan and know a few of the waitresses. My only problem with it is they alternate what beers they have available. I've been there before with an urge for Erdinger and discovered they were only carrying Canadian micro brewery beers that week. I prefer Craft.

Very North American view. European background, tipping in general is F-ed here. I'd say good service deserves a 15% tip rounded up to the next dollar. Only goes down from there. If waitresses were "entitled" to 15%, then it wouldn't be a tip.

HiSpec
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Is it on 10th Ave or 12th Ave? Google Map is showing along 12th Ave...

xolemonteaox
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
Is it on 10th Ave or 12th Ave? Google Map is showing along 12th Ave... I believe Beer Revolution is on the corner of 11 Ave and 8 St. Near Bumpy's Cafe.

rage2
07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Very North American view. European background, tipping in general is F-ed here. I'd say good service deserves a 15% tip rounded up to the next dollar. Only goes down from there. If waitresses were "entitled" to 15%, then it wouldn't be a tip.
I have a very North American view because I live in North America and I eat out at restaurants that are in North America. :dunno:

TomcoPDR
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Beer Revolution was really good when we went, even better when Tomco paid the bill haha

Food wasn't too bad, the waitresses were :love: :love:

:werd: as long as it's a Max paid bill, even nacho and cheese at the threater is good.

max_boost
09-14-2012, 04:06 PM
CCR ain't the same without you Thomas. After you are done cashing in your dent cheques we should do a Beyond X-mas party with rage2 at Ruth's Chris and CCR that. Go big or go home since that's how you roll. Everyone have their company cards ready. :rofl: :thumbsup:

ercchry
09-14-2012, 04:18 PM
i almost went here for food. but the aussie guy at the door made it awkward...

so it was busy, he was like "hey would you like to sit at the bar" yeah why not. :random people steal seats: "oh people keep stealing my seats!" (well yeah, this looks like a friggin bar/pub/lounge where it should be self serve)

"well come sit at this bench outside, there is a table that you can have once these girls get their table inside, its almost ready" cool. lets do it.

so we are sitting there and he points at the table, everything seems to make sense. looks like two couples. guys on one side, girls on the other. waitress comes out to get them when their table is ready inside... only the girls leave. two dudes continue to stay on the other side of the table... uhh. wtf. im hungry lets leave.

on the way out we stop at the door and tell the guy our story and he is like "oh they were on the same side? weird, i thought you guys could just share" :confused: :nut:

TomcoPDR
09-15-2012, 12:22 AM
CCR ain't the same without you Thomas. After you are done cashing in your dent cheques we should do a Beyond X-mas party with rage2 at Ruth's Chris and CCR that. Go big or go home since that's how you roll. Everyone have their company cards ready. :rofl: :thumbsup:

You line it up. I'll be ready December.

But let's put a cap on that shit, I don't wanna be working rest of my life... $3,000 tops man.

LUDELVR
09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm only going to use the word "amazing" when my mind is actually blown

I've used that word "amazing" when something else was blown! :poosie:

Graham_A_M
09-16-2012, 03:18 PM
^ :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks to the OP for the review, I'll have to try this place out.

So this is the old Brewster's on 10th ave & 8th street is it?

max_boost
09-16-2012, 03:45 PM
^^

Right next to Brewsters. There's a hallway that actually connects the two. It's a sister company.

tenth
09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Big fan of Beer Revolution for the beer selection, quality of the food, and the screens. It's also rarely busy, a plus in my view, so a great place to watch sports or to actually be able to converse with a bigger table of people without yelling at each other. I don't have a 1 favourite beer, so the rotating taps of craft beer is perfect. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Feruk
Service is already included in the bill in most european countries, which is why tipping on top is either small or unnecessary. Not the case here obviously. Apples and bananas.

btimbit
10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
^^

Right next to Brewsters. There's a hallway that actually connects the two. It's a sister company.

One of the sons/brothers whatever of the family that owns it started it, they walled off half the Brewsters on 11th - 8th and turned it into a separate restaurant.

Any of the "Beer Revolution" beer is made by the Brewsters brewery. Some specifically for Beer Revolution, some just re-named Brewster's beer (BR Lucky Penny - Brewster's Original Lager) I love it all.