PDA

View Full Version : Buying an import car

ormhelmanuel
06-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy an import car sometime during the weekend. I need help as to what i need in order to insure/register this vehicle.

thanks

ormhelmanuel
06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
btw the car is already registered in alberta.

jibber
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by ormhelmanuel
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy an import car sometime during the weekend. I need help as to what i need in order to insure/register this vehicle.

thanks

The exact list really depends on your insurance company, private/dealer/auction purchase and how old the vehicle is. If you tell us the exact year/make/model of the car and who is selling it, we can help ya out.

ormhelmanuel
06-20-2012, 04:22 PM
It is a car off kijiji an rx7 FD/1993/private seller
it will be insured by td insurance primmum.

J.M.
06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
If it's already registered in Alberta, you should only need the bill of sale and proof of insurance to register it. For insurance I know from experience that TD insurance will only cover the car for a one way policy due to being a RHD vehicle. They'll also probably want a safety inspection because it is 12+ year old vehicle.

jibber
06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
If it's been previously registered in AB, then all you need to register it yourself is a Bill of Sale and Proof of Insurance. You have 14 days to register it from the date of purchase but only if you have a good registered plate to transfer to your new car.

If it's a LHD FD, just fax the bill of sale to your insurance guy so he can do up a pink slip for ya. He'll probably tell you it needs to pass a safety too but you should have a 30-day grace period on that.

If it's a RHD FD, read this thread too...

RHD Insurance help... (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/355579/rhd-insurance-help/)

ormhelmanuel
06-20-2012, 11:19 PM
sweet guys thanks