PDA

View Full Version : Alberta launches website to name and shame deadbeat bosses.

CanmoreOrLess
06-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Beyond already does this in a small, local way, time to expand the franchise Canada wide. A quick click through the first ten pages and I see someone I knew in high school, it is a small world after all. Guess I am eating the $5 I lent him after Trig class.....

I have two former employers who owe me money (<$2,000), does everyone have deadbeat employers in their past? I sent a letter to Revenue Canada pointing out all the cheating these two companies were doing over the years, cost them at least ten times what they owed me. Who needs a list from the government?

Source FP:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06/20/alberta-launches-website-to-out-deadbeat-bosses-who-owe-workers-money/

Search for your current and former employer

http://employment.alberta.ca/SFW/esjudgments-search.asp

Alberta bosses who donŐt pay their employees will have their names posted online for all to see, the province announced Tuesday.

Human Services Minister Dave Hancock said roughly 1,700 employers owe 3,500 Alberta workers more than $14-million in unpaid earnings. Their names are now listed in a searchable online database.

nickyh
06-21-2012, 10:21 AM
It's about time.
My husband worked for one of those companies on the list that owes the employees in excess of $200,000, too bad they are no longer in business.

I would publicly shame the owner of the company but she is a vindictive bitch who grasps at any straws to sue anyone who she can and that's a hassle in my life I really don't need at this time....

jwslam
06-21-2012, 10:30 AM
How typical to see so many Chinese restaurant cases.

G
06-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Chinese tradition I guess....SSEC CANADA LTD is one of the worst offenders on there...SSEC is owned by Sinopec.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Deadbeat+bosses+getting+outed+Alberta/6813194/story.html

kvg
06-21-2012, 10:37 AM
:thumbsup:

cam_wmh
06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
This is awesome.

About 8 years ago During the summer between semesters when I was in Uni, I worked for a MR. SHAWN THORNTON.. He did full renovations for older homes.

Me, Over a 9 week period took only one cash advance, and was stiffed out of ~$3000. Huge money for a starving student.

Work ranging from demolition work, jack-hammering an old concrete patio, and helping Shawn build cabinets, and lay hardwood for the client.

I was advised at the time, that serving him with papers, would've been a lost cause as he was in the middle of filing for bankruptcy. Ironically, he mentioned that paying me cash would ensure that I would definitely get my money. Oh the naivety of a young 20 something. It was my first time being stiffed, and what a learning experience it was.

Since then Shawn's wife left him, his credit is destroyed, and he's moved to Vancouver.
Since that time, I would email him every 6 months or so, asking when/if he's going to pay me. I still have his promises, but of course his word is worth nil.

I may not be able to post his scam to this new website, but his name is now on one of the biggest Calgary readership forums, and all of what I've said is true to the best of my knowledge. Take heed, dealing with Shawn Thornton.

Masked Bandit
06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I wonder how many of these complaints are people that worked for companies that simply went under.

cam_wmh
06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
This is awesome.

About 8 years ago During the summer between semesters when I was in Uni, I worked for a MR. SHAWN THORNTON.. He did full renovations for older homes.

Me, Over a 9 week period took only one cash advance, and was stiffed out of ~$3000. Huge money for a starving student.

Work ranging from demolition work, jack-hammering an old concrete patio, and helping Shawn build cabinets, and lay hardwood for the client.

I was advised at the time, that serving him with papers, would've been a lost cause as he was in the middle of filing for bankruptcy. Ironically, he mentioned that paying me cash would ensure that I would definitely get my money. Oh the naivety of a young 20 something. It was my first time being stiffed, and what a learning experience it was.

Since then Shawn's wife left him, his credit is destroyed, and he's moved to Vancouver.
Since that time, I would email him every 6 months or so, asking when/if he's going to pay me. I still have his promises, but of course his word is worth nil.

I may not be able to post his scam to this new website, but his name is now on one of the biggest Calgary readership forums, and all of what I've said is true to the best of my knowledge. Take heed, dealing with Shawn Thornton.

www.facebook.com/booger.thornton

cam_wmh
06-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Yes that says Booger Thornton, aka Shawn Thornton