PDA

View Full Version : GDL DUIs?

-relk-
06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
I did a search for this, but couldnt find anything. Really hoping that traffic cop (or any officer on these forums) chimes in on this one.

I know that there is a 0 tolerance for any alcohol while on your GDL, but I am curious how it is enforced. Say you blow between 0.001 and 0.05, will you be charged the same as someone with a normal class 5 blew > 0.08?

I am now 22, have had my GDL since 17, and have just not seen the need to go get my regular class five. I am sure there will be many on here who will just ignore the original question and tell me to go take the test, but its just not high up on my priorities, and doesn't answer the original question.

The reason I ask, is because I am curious what would happen if I get pulled over after having a beer at dinner or something. Is it up to the officers discretion? Automatic DUI and license taken away?

colinxx235
06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Or people might think you spent more time typing that post than googling

Starting July 1, 2012
For new (GDL) drivers with blood alcohol over .00
ĄGDL driver found with any blood alcohol - 30-day licence suspension and 7-day vehicle seizure

https://www.transportation.alberta.ca/impaireddriving.htm

schocker
06-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Starting July 1, 2012
ĄGDL driver found with any blood alcohol - 30-day licence suspension and 7-day vehicle seizure

I had better go take that test soon!
:rofl:

-relk-
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Starting July 1, 2012

Doh!

I am more interested in the view from a police officer though, because I am curious if it is enforced as strictly as it is stated.

Because my thinking is what harm is someone doing, who has been driving for 5+ years with a BAC of 0.01? Of course, this means nothing in the eyes of the law itself.

DeeK
06-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by -relk-

Doh!

I am more interested in the view from a police officer though, because I am curious if it is enforced as strictly as it is stated.

Because my thinking is what harm is someone doing, who has been driving for 5+ years with a BAC of 0.01? Of course, this means nothing in the eyes of the law itself.

Anything alcohol related is strictly enforced, there is zero "wiggle room".

Mibz
06-21-2012, 01:58 PM
If you get pulled over then it means you were likely doing something wrong and they're also likely to nail you on whatever they can.

One officer's opinion of how strictly they enforce it doesn't say a damn thing about how strictly other members of the force do.

phil98z24
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I did a search for this, but couldnt find anything. Really hoping that traffic cop (or any officer on these forums) chimes in on this one.

I know that there is a 0 tolerance for any alcohol while on your GDL, but I am curious how it is enforced. Say you blow between 0.001 and 0.05, will you be charged the same as someone with a normal class 5 blew > 0.08?

I am now 22, have had my GDL since 17, and have just not seen the need to go get my regular class five. I am sure there will be many on here who will just ignore the original question and tell me to go take the test, but its just not high up on my priorities, and doesn't answer the original question.

The reason I ask, is because I am curious what would happen if I get pulled over after having a beer at dinner or something. Is it up to the officers discretion? Automatic DUI and license taken away?

If you have one beer, and you are well past drinking it you will have nothing to worry about because you will have not BAC. Anything in the warn range, it will register on the roadside (which you are obligated to take upon demand), and you will be suspended. Period. The province does not give us discretion, they tell us we will do it. Even if they didn't, I still would - otherwise there is little responsibility being taught to that individual.

As far as DUI, being a GDL doesn't change the criminal limit.
You would have to be pretty pickled in which case a GDL license suspension would be the least of your worries. ;)

colinxx235
06-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by schocker

I had better go take that test soon!
:rofl:

Well I bet the officer would laugh at someone your age driving a volvo and give you a free pass anyways :D :rofl:

schocker
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM

Well I bet the officer would laugh at someone your age driving a volvo and give you a free pass anyways :D :rofl:
So much hate on the volvo colin, so much hate :rofl:
I will be replacing it very soon once I can find the car I would like within my requirements :burnout:

lasimmon
06-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I drove though at least 2 checkstops when I had my GDL still (about 20 or 21) and I told the officer I have had 1 or 2 drinks and they didnt seem to care :dunno:

Not sure if at checkstops they are looking for strictly drunk people?

JfuckinC
06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I drove though at least 2 checkstops when I had my GDL still (about 20 or 21) and I told the officer I have had 1 or 2 drinks and they didnt seem to care :dunno:

Not sure if at checkstops they are looking for strictly drunk people?

they must not have seen the GDL or something, a friend of mine said he had 2 beers with a dinner and got suspended.

I got mine suspended twice for the zero tolerance lol :banghead: it's like officer phil said, it's not up to the officer, both times the cops even said to me they were sorry but they had to suspend me because i did a breathalyzer and it showed something. They didn't think i was intoxicated or anything, but they were obligated to do it :dunno:

oh well, it was my own fault, i got rid of GDL a while back now, thank god lol...

colinxx235
06-21-2012, 03:20 PM

So much hate on the volvo colin, so much hate :rofl:
I will be replacing it very soon once I can find the car I would like within my requirements :burnout:

Whos hating grandpa matt? Jealous of your hiding from cops/lowkeyness :rofl:

all the bitches love volvos too I hear :poosie:

Spoons
06-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

Anything alcohol related is strictly enforced, there is zero "wiggle room".

Sure about that one?

I've been pulled over at 3 check stops, every time I blew over 0 but underneath 0.08 (or 0.05 for that matter) and every time I've been let go.

It's not like I'm pulling up to these places sluring my words and being an idiot. I simply explain and say, "Sir with all do respect my friends that are beside me, they are drunk as hell. I opt'd to DD tonight just for them because I love them so much, but do you know what else I love? Beer. Beer tastes good. I know I'm 23 and should be well off the GDL, but honestly in my opinion, it's one huge cash grab. I know it, you know it. But I wanted at least one drink to sip on. I know this is against what is stated for GDL rules, but I feel I have brought a very responsible and reasonable opinion to the table. Your decision now is of your making."

You would be surprised what a little calm and reasonable talking goes with an officer. Even the hardest of guys (from what I could gander) have been lenient on me.

But maybe it's cause I'm white who knows.

schocker
06-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Whos hating grandpa matt? Jealous of your hiding from cops/lowkeyness :rofl:

all the bitches love volvos too I hear :poosie:
Oh at work they made fun of me asking why my jacket didn't elbow patches profressor matt. No tickets since the G35 though :D
I wouldn't know :(
Soon it will be gone though, something faster, newer, nicer and not red. :rofl:

I never chance it though with my GDL though but have been on it forever, don't want to ruin my low low insurance now, my demerits are almost also gone too!

lasimmon
06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

they must not have seen the GDL or something, a friend of mine said he had 2 beers with a dinner and got suspended.

I got mine suspended twice for the zero tolerance lol :banghead: it's like officer phil said, it's not up to the officer, both times the cops even said to me they were sorry but they had to suspend me because i did a breathalyzer and it showed something. They didn't think i was intoxicated or anything, but they were obligated to do it :dunno:

oh well, it was my own fault, i got rid of GDL a while back now, thank god lol...

They didnt make me blow.. But took my license when I pulled into the stop so I would only assume they saw the big GDL label. I didn't tell them I was a GDL obviously.

And yes I was on a GDL..

NuclearPizzaMan
06-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Is there not some sort of time limit on how long you can have your GDL?

schocker
06-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan

Is there not some sort of time limit on how long you can have your GDL?
You can have it forever, just no alcohol and less demerits iirc

-relk-
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24

If you have one beer, and you are well past drinking it you will have nothing to worry about because you will have not BAC. Anything in the warn range, it will register on the roadside (which you are obligated to take upon demand), and you will be suspended. Period. The province does not give us discretion, they tell us we will do it. Even if they didn't, I still would - otherwise there is little responsibility being taught to that individual.

Thanks Phil. What kind of a readout does the roadside test give for 0.01 > 0.49? And how far is "well past drinking"? I have always been told that a good time limit is 1 hour per beer. Any truth to that?

Spoons' situation was pretty much spot on for the kind of experience I was looking for.

Another quick question, does a GDL suspension affect insurance?

FraserB
06-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Spoons is a fucking retard and I wouldn't take anything he says at face value.

Pulled over 3 different times, blows a BAC of over 0.00 on a GDL, tries to claim he is the designated driver and gets let go? Full of shit or got the 3 laziest and dumbest cops on the force, considering any alcohol on GDL is automatic suspension.

bjstare
06-21-2012, 04:04 PM
In the time that's elapsed since you've started this thread, you could have completed your GDL test. :confused:

Spoons
06-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Pulled over 3 different times, blows a BAC of over 0.00 on a GDL, tries to claim he is the designated driver and gets let go? Full of shit or got the 3 laziest and dumbest cops on the force, considering any alcohol on GDL is automatic suspension.

Fuck me right? I'll keep this in mind that any you post something, I'll just call you a fucking moron. Just block me if you can't respond in a sensible manner you tool.

It was after one or two beer. There is still a level of common fucking sense that most officers follow. Maybe I got lucky, but at 3 times it's hard to say. For the record each time I blew a 0.01, fully coherent, and fine.

Every time you speed and get pulled over you're supposed to get a ticket. But do you every time?

lasimmon
06-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

I have TOLD a cop I have had a drink or 2 and I HAVE my GDL, and he let me go.

I have other friends with similar experiances. One cop told my friend its not worth his time to take a 21 year old off the road for having 1 beer.

kvg
06-21-2012, 04:17 PM
If you want to risk it plan for the worst case scenario, because thats what can happen. I've been pulled over for speeding and gotten off with a warning more times than not, but I have also gotten a ticket once too. You could blow the lowest possible and get nailed because he's going by the book or just because he doesn't like your hair cut, either way your still in the wrong.

Kobe
06-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Just a headsup, when I drink and than the next day I drive, I usually still have between 0.02 and 0.04 when I wake up...

Something to take into consideration if you are on GDL

msommers
06-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Every time you speed and get pulled over you're supposed to get a ticket. But do you every time?

Yep. :(

Maybelater
06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Yo, I'd rock a mad Volvo, fuck ya'll.

The only reason I am getting my full class 5 is because of work, otherwise I'd just drive on my gdl still. I've been eligible for the full class five for over a year now.

Hallowed_point
06-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Guy at my brother's work got a DUI..next thing you know his nickname is "Dewy" Can you handle being called that? :D :D

Spoons
06-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Yep. :(

Alright maybe it's because I'm white and really, really, ridiculously good looking.

nodoubtt
06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
OK so what I'm wondering is, what's a safe time range to wait after drinking to make sure my BAC reads zero?

If I've had 1 beer (not pint, just a bottle), how long do I have to wait after finishing the beer before I'm in the clear?

Same thing for 2 beers?

I know it can var y quite a bit but say for an average person with an average alcohol tolerance

dexlargo
06-22-2012, 03:09 PM
^On average, it takes one hour to eliminate one drink.

gretz
06-22-2012, 03:12 PM

really, really, ridiculously good looking.

Male or female officers?
Derek? lol...

Spoons
06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by gretz

Male or female officers?
Derek? lol...

Only a true man of impeccable looks attracts both sexes.

chkolny541
06-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by kvg
If you want to risk it plan for the worst case scenario, because thats what can happen. I've been pulled over for speeding and gotten off with a warning more times than not, but I have also gotten a ticket once too. You could blow the lowest possible and get nailed because he's going by the book or just because he doesn't like your hair cut, either way your still in the wrong.

well said, agree 100%

May get lucky, may not. Its better to take the test to remove the GDL, if you cant afford the ~120$ for the new license, you shouldnt be driving anyways.

Did mine at 19, its just nice to not have to stress about having a beer with dinner anymore :dunno:

Traffic_Cop
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Currently, if a GDL driver is stopped and the officer gets an admission or suspicion of alcohol consumption, the GDL driver will be asked to blow into a roadside device. If ANY reading other than "0" shows then the GDL driver is issued an AZAT suspension. Its an automatic 24hr suspension, followed by 7 days of driving on a tempoary licence, then you are suspended for 30 days. The officer may also choose to charge the driver under Sec 90(3) of the TSA which is GDL driver operate while consuming alcohol.

If the GDL blows a FAIL, then they are treated the exact same as a regular driver, and follows all regular impaired driving protocols, procedures and charges.

LollerBrader
06-23-2012, 06:03 PM

You can have it forever, just no alcohol and less demerits iirc

Is there an insurance penalty for being GDL, or an insurance incentive to get full?

LollerBrader
06-23-2012, 06:08 PM

Only a true man of impeccable looks attracts both sexes.

Did the officer make you blow?

Disoblige
06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Currently, if a GDL driver is stopped and the officer gets an admission or suspicion of alcohol consumption, the GDL driver will be asked to blow into a roadside device.
That's the thing. If you drink a beer or a glass of wine and attract suspicion of alcohol consumption, then you probably should get your full Class 5.

Most guys who drink a beer or glass of wine look perfectly fine (unless maybe you're those people that turn red).

JustGo
06-24-2012, 12:03 AM

It's not like I'm pulling up to these places sluring my words and being an idiot. I simply explain and say, "Sir with all do respect my friends that are beside me, they are drunk as hell. I opt'd to DD tonight just for them because I love them so much, but do you know what else I love? Beer. Beer tastes good. I know I'm 23 and should be well off the GDL, but honestly in my opinion, it's one huge cash grab. I know it, you know it. But I wanted at least one drink to sip on. I know this is against what is stated for GDL rules, but I feel I have brought a very responsible and reasonable opinion to the table. Your decision now is of your making."

You would be surprised what a little calm and reasonable talking goes with an officer. Even the hardest of guys (from what I could gander) have been lenient on me.

But maybe it's cause I'm white who knows. I'm not so sure about going on a little rant like that. I don't know too many guys that would let you spew all that out without stopping you. Not that it's not a fairly reasonable statement, but if someone went on a diatribe like that to me, I would find it annoying.

Firstly, a "DD" doesn't have 1 beer. The POINT of a DD is to have zero. You want something to sip on? Most places offer water or soft drinks.

Second, dropping the "you and I both know" line comes off as very cocky and smart ass.

Like I said though, I fully agree to the reasoning behind the statement, but if you're honestly telling the fine folks on Beyond that going off on that tangent works, I find that incredibly hard to believe. Your argument is compelling and would certainly win the majority of roadside encounters, but the way you claim to present it is awful. I, like most humans, like to be spoken WITH, not spoken TO. I sincerely doubt you've gotten through that whole thing once, let alone 3 times.

Or maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying and that's not your generic speech, but rather a summary of your position for those with attention deficit on Beyond. If the latter is the case, I recant and sincerely apologize.

googe
06-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by JustGo

Firstly, a "DD" doesn't have 1 beer. The POINT of a DD is to have zero.

Don't be dumb, 1 drink is fine.

JustGo
06-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by googe

Don't be dumb, 1 drink is fine. Don't be dumb, look up any definition of Designated Driver.

Drinking a beer then calling yourself the DD is like having sex then saying you're a virgin.

Traffic_Cop
06-24-2012, 11:25 PM

Don't be dumb, 1 drink is fine.

GDL is zero!!!

Dont like it? Get a full class 5!

Hallowed_point
06-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Don't be dumb, look up any definition of Designated Driver.

Drinking a beer then calling yourself the DD is like having sex then saying you're a virgin.

:rofl: nice one JG

cancer man
06-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Don't be dumb, look up any definition of Designated Driver.

I might have to sig this one..:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ben
06-25-2012, 01:53 AM
So then as a DD, it could be assumed that failing a check stop be herpes, and causing collision, HIV and a fatal collision would be not HIV but full blown AIDS? All while proclaiming your virgin teetotaler "I'm the DD" ways? All things you have to live with after drinking and whoring...and driving.... I like it.

googe
06-25-2012, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

GDL is zero!!!

Dont like it? Get a full class 5!

We were not talking about GDL. 1 beer for a non-GDL DD is fine.

JustGo
06-25-2012, 08:05 AM

We were not talking about GDL. 1 beer for a non-GDL DD is fine. I never said one beer wasn't fine, I simply said if you have one beer, you're not a DD anymore by the very definition. But apparently you still don't get it. Perhaps you need a diagram.

Spoons
06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Or maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying and that's not your generic speech, but rather a summary of your position for those with attention deficit on Beyond. If the latter is the case, I recant and sincerely apologize.

Apology accepted. :D

JustGo
06-26-2012, 01:11 PM

accepted. :D :thumbsup:

Traffic_Cop
06-27-2012, 06:57 PM

We were not talking about GDL. 1 beer for a non-GDL DD is fine.

Did i miss something here??. Or did you not read the thread title?