PDA

View Full Version : Would YOU help an old lady cross the road?

Thaco
06-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Caught this on my dash cam, was following a buddy and he did this, totally unscripted and unprovoked.... i thought it was down right gentlemanly... and i could honestly say, i probably would not take the time to do the same.

FUwDEqT1MnI

gretz
06-22-2012, 07:09 AM
If she looked like she was having a hard time / looks like she could use a hand, without a doubt...

Im glad there are still people like this out there:thumbsup:

06-22-2012, 07:11 AM
In a lifted truck to boot....

Good on this guy.

adidas
06-22-2012, 07:15 AM
Lol this reminds me when a lady in a wheelchair asked me to push her a cpl of blocks before we had to part ways....definitely there to give a helping hand to seniors, when they need it.

xolemonteaox
06-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Amazing guy :clap:

If I was walking, I would have and had helped people cross.

But I must say, if I was in my car, I probably wouldn't have done what he did.

taemo
06-22-2012, 07:56 AM
great video and great guy.

was trying to identify who it was but read the comments on youtube and it seems to be Mr Ted from Ted's Garage?

JfuckinC
06-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Fuckin rights, that's a good man.

I would definitely do that, i am a total softy when it comes to old people haha.

Thaco
06-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by taemo
great video and great guy.

was trying to identify who it was but read the comments on youtube and it seems to be Mr Ted from Ted's Garage? Yeah, Crawler Ted/Roofing by Ted

kvg
06-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Good job:thumbsup: But I don't think his truck had mud flaps;)

max_boost
06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Good man. Random act of kindness. Faith in humanity restored. :thumbsup:

KRyn
06-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Class act that gentlemen is.

CapnCrunch
06-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 410440
In a lifted truck to boot....

Good on this guy.

AND TRUCK NUTTS!! :rofl:

Tik-Tok
06-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Someone called this video in to x92.9 1/2 hour ago.

JRSC00LUDE
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Lifted truck.....with nuts....considerate.....not douchebag..... :confused:

Does not compute, DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!!! Circuits overloading, mindfuck in progress!!

Your buddy is the man today! :clap:

civic_stylez
06-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Class act! :thumbsup:

Kloubek
06-22-2012, 09:36 AM
This might have me curbing my stereotyping Dodgebags.

Very classy - though I wonder if he is technically breaking any laws.... you know, something stupid that dictates you can't leave your running vehicle unattended on a roadway or something like that...

Hallowed_point
06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by adidas
Lol this reminds me when a lady in a wheelchair asked me to push her a cpl of blocks before we had to part ways....definitely there to give a helping hand to seniors, when they need it.

I wonder if we ran into the same lady, I pushed her up the Stampede station LRT ramp and then she wanted me to take her down 17 Ave ...that's where my generosity wore out :rofl:

Jeff TYPE R
06-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Years ago I saw some guy in a wheelchair trying to cross the street but he was stuck and just spinning his wheels in the snow; it was the most pathetic thing you've ever seen. I jumped out of my car and pushed him across. Fucker turned out to be a drunk ass indian, reeked of the liquor and had a brown bag in his lap! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mar
06-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
Years ago I saw some guy in a wheelchair trying to cross the street but he was stuck and just spinning his wheels in the snow; it was the most pathetic thing you've ever seen. I jumped out of my car and pushed him across. Fucker turned out to be a drunk ass indian, reeked of the liquor and had a brown bag in his lap! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Long beard? I always see him pushing himself across the street with his one leg against a green light. I was always getting pissed at him driving downtown but then I saw an article in the paper on him of how he smokes crack all day to numb the pain of his terminal illness and just waits to die. Then I didn't see him any more, felt kind of bad.

Chester
06-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Fuckin rights, that's a good man.

I would definitely do that, i am a total softy when it comes to old people haha.

:werd: Gotta respect the seniors.

01RedDX
06-22-2012, 11:34 AM

MM99lude
06-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Sorry to slightly derail this conversation but here is a true, hilarious story that happened to a good friend of mine.

My buddy is driving down 25th ave sw, on a Sunday, when he slows to a stop for an elderly woman crossing the street. She is halfway through the street when she faces her walker towards his car and starts walking over. He gets out of the vehicle and asks the woman if there is something he can help her with. She politely requests a ride to Church as she is going to be late. Now my friend is driving a 6 series, with minimal trunk space, but he find a way to position her walker in his trunk and proceeds to driver the elderly woman to Church.

He pulls up at the Church doors, gets out and hands the woman back her walker, at which point the women asks him if he will come join her in Church... (Not being of the Christian religion) he politely declines the offer explaining that he is of a different faith. To which the elderly women replies..."Oh, well then have fun burning in hell!" and slowly walks towards the church. :rofl:

eglove
06-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I've done it before while walking, never stopped my car though to help someone across. Good on this guy!

403Gemini
06-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I've pushed a homeless lady in a wheel chair across a road and zipped up her jacket in the winter (She was clearly disabled and didnt have the best motor skills with her hands).

Good on this guy! :thumbsup:

Disoblige
06-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Only in Calgary.
Yeah right :rofl:

samo147
06-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Mad Props man

Only in Forest Lawn

I used to live right by there. And can honestly say I could only expect this to happen in Forest Lawn of all places.

freshprince1
06-22-2012, 01:54 PM
I hope you don't mind, but I posted in this in /r/Calgary on reddit. Someone was slagging Calgary drivers again, so I thought this would be good to share. I travel extensively across North America and Calgary is not worse off than any other city, in fact it's much better. I get so sick of people always slamming Calgary - most of them are disgruntled move-ins anyways.

Thaco
06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
I hope you don't mind, but I posted in this in /r/Calgary on reddit. Someone was slagging Calgary drivers again, so I thought this would be a nice counter. feel free to share it all you want... just trying to prove that good deeds do not go unnoticed.

Afrodeziak
06-22-2012, 02:24 PM
I've had this guy ask me to get him across the street too.. He was wasted.

Originally posted by Mar

Long beard? I always see him pushing himself across the street with his one leg against a green light. I was always getting pissed at him driving downtown but then I saw an article in the paper on him of how he smokes crack all day to numb the pain of his terminal illness and just waits to die. Then I didn't see him any more, felt kind of bad.

SlickA70
06-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Not to toot my own horn but I've always been taught to respect and endear my elders.

I remember one time I was driving home after a night out with a few friends, and I saw an old man on the street fallen down with his cane out of reach.

Turns out someone had taken the taxi he was waiting for to go home and his care giver was off for the night, he decided to go out and that's what entailed.

He was laying there for 10-15 minutes before we ran into him and I offered to wait with him and call him a taxi, which didn't work out so I hopped in the back and gave him a ride home.

This is a topic I've always been fairly passionate about especially working in a mall, I see old people get bumped and disregarded and all they ever want to do is have a nice chat and enjoy their lives.

Good on your friend man, props.

4doorj
06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Awesome to see!!!!

black13
06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Does not compute, DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!!! Circuits overloading, mindfuck in progress!!

Your buddy is the man today! :clap:

This. Oh well +1 respect to lifted trucks w/nuts. Guess they're not all dbags.

Closest thing I did was at a red light, there was a bumper on the side lane which was sorta in the way so I got out and pushed it.

Maybelater
06-22-2012, 06:52 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/25gtnhd.png

That video was totally shot on 17th Avenue SE or as beyond would put it the 'NE'

Guys in jacked up trucks with truck nuts driving in the 'ne' helping old women cross the street. Beyond's world has just been flipped the fuck up side down.

C_Dave45
06-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I could see this thing going viral.

Tram Common
06-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
I could see this thing going viral.

Doubt it... on account of the truck balls... without those, viral for sure.

95teetee
06-22-2012, 07:58 PM

next you'll try to tell me he doesn't use 5 spots when he parks:eek:

Your buddy is the man today! :clap: QFT

Thaco
06-22-2012, 10:15 PM
I could see this thing going viral. just shy of 1000 views in 24 hours, way more than i expected... not sure what the definition of viral is...

Sugarphreak
06-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Jeff TYPE R
06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Wrong again, Mar.

This was in Edmonton.

Thaco
06-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I think i'll call if viral... it nearly tripled in views overnight, from 887 to 2278

kvg
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

Wrong again, Mar.

This was in Edmonton.

Wrong again Jeff it was shot in Dakar , where else would you need a truck like that ;)

Tram Common
06-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
I think i'll call if viral... it nearly tripled in views overnight, from 887 to 2278

Not even close to viral status.

FixedGear
06-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Is it legal for him to stop in traffic like that and exit his car? It's certainly not safe, and this would be an entirely different video if that car on the right had passed and hit the guy (which it appears almost happened). I'm not questioning the (good) motives of the guy, but from a safety standpoint I don't think this is the type of thing that people should be congratulating or encouraging. :dunno:

I am kind of surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

TomcoPDR
06-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Is it legal for him to stop in traffic like that and exit his car? It's certainly not safe, and this would be an entirely different video if that car on the right had passed and hit the guy (which it appears almost happened). I'm not questioning the (good) motives of the guy, but from a safety standpoint I don't think this is the type of thing that people should be congratulating or encouraging. :dunno:

I am kind of surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

You're suppose to stop at crosswalks when there are pedestrians present.

Gettin outta his lifted, balled out truck helping an old lady cross a busy street where no vehicle stopped while they're suppose to, legal or not = like a boss.

C_Dave45
06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
if that car on the right had passed and hit the guy (which it appears almost happened)...... Then that driver would be charged with a traffic violation. You cannot pass a stopped car at a pedestrian crosswalk.

Thaco
06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Then that driver would be charged with a traffic violation. You cannot pass a stopped car at a pedestrian crosswalk. additionally, he was in the crosswalk with the lights flashing, regardless where he came from, he was a pedestrian.

Thaco
06-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common

Not even close to viral status. 1000 views the first day, 2000 more the second day, seems to be just picking up momentum :)

JordanEG6
06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
1000 views the first day, 2000 more the second day, seems to be just picking up momentum :)

If your buddy makes it on Ellen, it's viral. ;) :nut:

FixedGear
06-23-2012, 05:34 PM
additionally, he was in the crosswalk with the lights flashing, regardless where he came from, he was a pedestrian.

but that doesn't make it safe to jump out of your vehicle and run from the centre to the edge of the road, where other cars aren't expecting to see pedestrians coming from. :dunno:

Tram Common
06-23-2012, 05:48 PM

but that doesn't make it safe to jump out of your vehicle and run from the centre to the edge of the road, where other cars aren't expecting to see pedestrians coming from. :dunno:

What he did was illegal... but you can argue it was done for the greater good...

... I don't know, who cares.

cancer man
06-23-2012, 05:48 PM

You must be from the east.:guns:
We still tip our hats and open doors and help seniors cross the road.

Thaco
06-23-2012, 05:49 PM

but that doesn't make it safe to jump out of your vehicle and run from the centre to the edge of the road, where other cars aren't expecting to see pedestrians coming from. :dunno: not stopping for a pedestrian, especially when the lights are flashing, s more against he law...

i don't see how a pedestrian coming from the other side of the street is unexpected... he walked out and in to the cross walk in front of his own vehicle... that grey car wouldn't have seen a pedestrian from that side anyways because of the big truck... your point is pointless.

FixedGear
06-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm not saying the guy didn't have good intentions, just that what he did was not safe (for a number of reasons) and shouldn't be encouraged.

cancer man
06-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm not saying the guy didn't have good intentions, just that what he did was not safe (for a number of reasons) and shouldn't be encouraged.

Where were you born?
You should see how many times i stop traffic on 17th.
FCUK PEOPLE AND THEIR 2 MINUTES OF WAITING.

C_Dave45
06-24-2012, 12:46 AM

Do you just like to argue for the sake of arguing?! Fuck, your posts are the most absurd reasonings....even for beyond.

M.alex
06-26-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm going to buck the trend and say that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen - great way to cause an accident.

Thaco
06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
I'm going to buck the trend and say that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen - great way to cause an accident. Come back when you have some new material, your troll brother fixedgear already played that angle.

Disoblige
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
additionally, he was in the crosswalk with the lights flashing ...
Thaco, I'm on your side but this statement is wrong. If you watch the video closer, what happened was this:

-The lady or someone had pressed the button and the lights were flashing.
-All cars stopped for her to cross.
-The lights stopped flashing and the cars were all saying "Is she crossing or.." like you did in your car.
-The truck driver saw what was happening so he came out of his car when cars started going and the lights were not flashing at all. It could have ended bad for him, but luckily it did not.

Thaco
06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Thaco, I'm on your side but this statement is wrong. If you watch the video closer, what happened was this:

-The lady or someone had pressed the button and the lights were flashing.
-All cars stopped for her to cross.
-The lights stopped flashing and the cars were all saying "Is she crossing or.." like you did in your car.
-The truck driver saw what was happening so he came out of his car when cars started going and the lights were not flashing at all. It could have ended bad for him, but luckily it did not. either way, it's still a crosswalk whether the lights are flashing or not, if you approach a crosswalk and there is anybody even slightly in the vicinity of the intersection that even has the most remote chance of crossing, you're obligated to stop until that person either no longer has potential of crossing, or they're completely across the street

FixedGear
06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Thaco, let me clarify your position...

you're saying that it's safe to put your vehicle in park in the middle of traffic, get out, stop traffic, and walk from the center of the road to the side of the road?

and, since helping an old woman across the road is a "gentlemanly" thing to do, that more people should start doing this?

:nut:

Thaco
06-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Thaco, let me clarify your position...

you're saying that it's safe to put your vehicle in park in the middle of traffic, get out, stop traffic, and walk from the center of the road to the side of the road?

and, since helping an old woman across the road is a "gentlemanly" thing to do, that more people should start doing this?

:nut: absolutely, when every other person on that road legally should have been stopped anyway.

Thaco
06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Hater's gonna hate... however i am not gonna let that derail the point of this post.

The driver of the truck has been contacted by 3 media outlets, and had 2 others post it on their twitter/facebook, so obviously the right people think it was the right thing to do.

95EG6P
06-26-2012, 01:11 PM
i think it is the right thing to do :clap:

M.alex
06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Hater's gonna hate... however i am not gonna let that derail the point of this post.

The driver of the truck has been contacted by 3 media outlets, and had 2 others post it on their twitter/facebook, so obviously the right people think it was the right thing to do.

People are stupid sheeple for the most part.

Was it a gentlemanly thing to do? Yes.

Was it a smart thing to do? No - the guy's a fvcking moron.

I'd agree if he had pulled over the shoulder, left his car, went to cross walk and walked her across, but not fvcking stop in the middle of the road going 'HERP DERP. ELDERLY IN THE CROSSWALk! EVERYBODY STOPXZ! :facepalm:

sexualbanana
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Wow. Some of you guys really love to shit on a guy's parade don't you?

C_Dave45
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Wow. Some of you guys really love to shit on a guy's parade don't you?
Haha. Exactly!! Typical among the low-brow intelligence beyonders. And yet every single one of those haters would slam their brakes on and jump out of their own vehicles if they saw a $5 dollar bill on the crosswalk, claiming "whaaa? It was in a crosswalk, everyone's supposed to stop anyways...."

Can't just post a feel good story without some fuckin idiot that has to analyze and rip it apart for technicalities.

When I jumped out and snapped the pictures of the hit'n'run Acura driver trying to flee I had the same idiotic, Ned Flanders' "you shouldn't be standing in the middle of the road, it's dangerous and wrong" douchebag comments.

Ya think Thaco and Ted are advocating every single driver in Calgary should be hopping out and helping out the elderly?!! It was a cool gesture that media loves to highlight.
End of fucking story! GAH!!!

Hallowed_point
06-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Scary thing is how many people in this city will see someone stopped at a crosswalk and whip around them into the other lane without realizing that maybe this person is stopped because *gasp* a pedestrian is crossing the crosswalk??
:eek:

403Gemini
06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Scary thing is how many people in this city will see someone stopped at a crosswalk and whip around them into the other lane without realizing that maybe this person is stopped because *gasp* a pedestrian is crossing the crosswalk??
:eek:

Did that once when I was about 17 and almost hit a lady... freaked me the hell out so i've been SUPER cautious ever since.. thankfully I didn't hit her, still feel like shit when I think back on it.

FixedGear
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
If the guy had been killed, you would all be calling him a faucking idiot and making jokes about Darwin. :dunno:

Thaco
06-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Just got word, the story made the 6pm news tonight on global, he's being interviewed for it right now.

M.alex
06-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Just got word, the story made the 6pm news tonight on global, he's being interviewed for it right now.

I greatly dislike stupid sheeple :facepalm:

C_Dave45
06-26-2012, 04:55 PM

Haha awesome!! I actually sent it to the Ellen D show...just the sort of thing she'd pick up. Hey ya never know! Free trip to LA and 15 minutes of fame for him.
:thumbsup:

max_boost
06-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Some of you guys :nut:

Random acts of kindness ftw! :clap:

Canmorite
06-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Just saw it on the Global morning news :thumbsup:

The anchors were quite curious about who drives around with a camera on the whole time haha.

Sweet to see!

Thaco
06-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Just saw it on the Global morning news :thumbsup:

The anchors were quite curious about who drives around with a camera on the whole time haha.

Sweet to see! yeah they actually did a phone interview with me to find out why i had the camera on, they said it seemed a little too scripted and didn't understand why i would have the camera.. so i explained the insurance end of it, as well as when i do kijii deals i make sure i do the transaction on the hood of my car so if shit goes south i at least have something to go off to track the bastards down.