PDA

View Full Version : Amongst the shittiest and most deceiving Vietnamese Restaurant!

LUDELVR
02-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Okay, I just got back from that Vietnamese restaurant, Oriental Phoenix out on barlow trail! Okay, that is like the whitest washed asian place I've been to! The food was mediocre and virtually everyone that works there was white!! haah, not that there's anything wrong with that but it was like a scene from an old movie where they got white people to play asian characters! Okay, not that bad, but you get the point. The servings were tiny and the price was more than what you'd expect to pay at any Vietnamese rest.

Anyway, the rest. itself was very nice, very clean (especially the bathrooms) unlike most vietnamese restaurants, but then again, I don't eat in the bathroom...unless I'm really really drunk! haha, and the only Vietnamese rest. that parallels this one for cleanliness is Bagolac. Only difference is bagolac is WAY better food, WAY bigger portions, and WAY hotter staff!! Especially the owner! ;);) Yah, and the cook aint bad too, aye del lude? hahahaha

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience there. Food was decent, service was okay (old white lady), layout and appearance of restaurant was excellent (it didn't look like they got the meat from out in the alley)

Food: 6/10
Portions: 3/10
Ambiance: 5/10
Authenticity: 2/10
Restaurant Presentation: 9/10

I don't know, but maybe a good authentic vietnamese outing has to parallel eating in a crowded, small room with no elbow room and the yelling of "PHO DAC BIET, UH HUH, ANYTHING ELSE?" tied in with....I don't know....oh let's say.....ASIANS!!!! can make me feel like I'm actually eating vietnamese food!! hahaha:rofl:

max_boost
02-05-2004, 09:57 PM
LOL

Excellent review

Boost Infested
02-05-2004, 10:04 PM
you are so RACIST! :rofl:

they might have good ginger beef and deep fried wonton. :rofl:

EK 2.0
02-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Wow Leo the Resturant Critic...

rogue
02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
pho anh huyen MMMMMMMMMMMMM :D . i will have to try bagolac one day but always so busy.

Shaolin
02-05-2004, 10:11 PM
I go there for lunch since I work down the street.. it's not THAT bad.. but i do agree it's not great either.. but it's close and it's viet, so i'll take it.. Lam-boy works there, apparently he served me appetizers but i don't remember what the mofo looks like.

SoSlowDx
02-05-2004, 10:16 PM
man I could of told you that Leo...

:)

OP :thumbsdow

kevie88
02-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by rogue
pho anh huyen MMMMMMMMMMMMM :D . i will have to try bagolac one day but always so busy.

Pho anh huyen owns!!

CRXguy
02-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Oriental Phoenix has been white washed ever since they opened by Macleod. Went there a couple years ago, and haven't gone back since. It use to be good when it was in the ghetto(17th Ave SE) back in the day.

thich
02-06-2004, 12:07 AM
i've never gone to Oriental Phoenix ever b/c I've heard the horror stories of how they treat Viet ppl...
my friend had her after grad a few years ago and they treated her company like crap because they were asians :thumbsdow
(this was the downtown one)

Altezza
02-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Oriental Phoenix sucks...the one downtown sucks ass too. $7-$8 for a tiny bowl of Pho...suprising how many caucasians are willing to pay so much for noodles, raw beef, and water.

JordanLotoski
02-06-2004, 12:18 AM
yeah cause us white folk love our noodles..LOL

CelicaST-162
02-06-2004, 12:23 AM
Mekong Noodle House is the best IMO....on 17th ave SE

SoSlowDx
02-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Oriental Phoenix has been white washed ever since they opened by Macleod. Went there a couple years ago, and haven't gone back since. It use to be good when it was in the ghetto(17th Ave SE) back in the day.

Originally posted by thich
i've never gone to Oriental Phoenix ever b/c I've heard the horror stories of how they treat Viet ppl...
my friend had her after grad a few years ago and they treated her company like crap because they were asians :thumbsdow
(this was the downtown one)

:werd:

LUDELVR
02-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Yah man, it’s like the whities go for the atmosphere or something ;);) hahaha, but really, it was totally a nice place. The cleanliness, the décor and things like the seats, tables etc. were really on par with bagolac. It was a hell of a lot bigger too, but yah, the only reason you don’t see many whities at those little Vietnamese restaurants is cause they’re too busy getting fucked over by paying upwards of 10 bux for such a small bowl of pho! And I was actually debating about getting it but then I thought to myself….really, do I want to try that shit? Hahaha. Also, the only time you see a white person in a Vietnamese restaurant is if A. He thought it was the door to the tim Horton’s or B. he’s with a shit load of Asians and some bad shit is about to go down….like base ball bats and machetes are gonna start swinging!! :rofl: :rofl: hahaha

But really, some times you wanna impress a girl and take her out, that’s cool cuz if you’re trying to impress her and you take her to a place like Pho Rang Dong in the heart of Forest Lawn…..you may as well take her to Macdonalds! hahahaha

jdmakkord
02-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by kevie88

Pho anh huyen owns!! :werd: :werd:

Hollywood
02-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Yah man, it’s like the whities go for the atmosphere or something ;);) hahaha, but really, it was totally a nice place. The cleanliness, the décor and things like the seats, tables etc. were really on par with bagolac. It was a hell of a lot bigger too, but yah, the only reason you don’t see many whities at those little Vietnamese restaurants is cause they’re too busy getting fucked over by paying upwards of 10 bux for such a small bowl of pho! And I was actually debating about getting it but then I thought to myself….really, do I want to try that shit? Hahaha. Also, the only time you see a white person in a Vietnamese restaurant is if A. He thought it was the door to the tim Horton’s or B. he’s with a shit load of Asians and some bad shit is about to go down….like base ball bats and machetes are gonna start swinging!! :rofl: :rofl: hahaha

But really, some times you wanna impress a girl and take her out, that’s cool cuz if you’re trying to impress her and you take her to a place like Pho Rang Dong in the heart of Forest Lawn…..you may as well take her to Macdonalds! hahahaha

But Leo....hate to be the one to break it to you......you are not asian either!

But sure make fun at a white guys.....But to this "Italian" guy, "noodles are fucking noodles to me, people call it Pho.... I call it pasta YO!" Nothing new here, shit when I came out of my mom's stomach I thought my ambilical cord was fucking spahetti!

Kaos
02-06-2004, 01:30 AM
Did you eat the Pho there? The soup was nasty!
It was like water and the only thing that gave it taste was the "IMITATION CRAB" that they put in it.
I didnt know PHO had BBQ pork in it either.

I believe it was 7 bucks for a large, which would be a small at bagolac or Pho Xuan.

:thumbsdow

Ben
02-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Yeah, Bagolac is a buck or 2 more for a bowl of Pho, but at least the place is nice and clean, and have great staff. I've had pho at some pretty shady establishments...Mind you one of them was open all the time and when you're craving Pho at 2:30 in the morning, you look past the cosmetic appeal, haha

SoSlowDx
02-06-2004, 02:46 AM
PHO RANG DONG OWNZ:thumbsup:

sml
02-06-2004, 03:50 AM
Agree about the review on Oriental Pheonix... I was unfortunate enough to go there for a co-worker's farewell lunch party and boy oh boy does that place ever suck! I mean, I give it that it's a nice looking establishment and all, but the food is sub-par, the portions are TINY, and the price is WAY TOO HIGH for viet! There's a reason why you don't see too many "real" asian people eating there cause the whole reason of eating asian food is because it's so freaking cheap! I guess the non-asian folks compare a tiny bowl of pho for $7 is still more appealing than a gourmet burger at Earls for $8!!! :rofl: Yeah, never going back to that rip a hole in my ass place again... :thumbsdow

legendboy
02-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Okay, that is like the whitest washed asian place I've been to!

So what your trying to tell us is that you fit right in! :rofl:

switch
02-06-2004, 10:11 AM
I would have liked to see the replies to this thread if this was posted:

"Dude, the Olive Garden is yellow-washed with asians. I went there for the Italian atmosphere, not to be served by a dude named chin!"

pretty sad.

Akagi Redsuns
02-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
Mekong Noodle House is the best IMO....on 17th ave SE

I agree. Good prices, great food and great service....at least everytime I have been there. Totally out of my way but I tend to go there anytime I want some decent Pho.

The one thing I can't stand about Bagolac is the service. The food is decent enough. When it takes 10 minutes to get a menu after we have been seated, then another 20 minutes until someone comes to take our order.....there is an issue. Maybe if I was Asian I would get better service?

MerfBall
02-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Actually Vietnamese places catering to white people is pretty smart. Think about it how many white people would you see walking into Pho 88 or any other shadey places. And who do you think tips better in asian restaurants white people or asians?

Ben
02-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

I agree. Good prices, great food and great service....at least everytime I have been there. Totally out of my way but I tend to go there anytime I want some decent Pho.

The one thing I can't stand about Bagolac is the service. The food is decent enough. When it takes 10 minutes to get a menu after we have been seated, then another 20 minutes until someone comes to take our order.....there is an issue. Maybe if I was Asian I would get better service?

I'm white and have probably dined at bagolac 2 dozen times anyway, and I cant remember waiting any more than 10 min from walking in the door to eating the main course.

cocoabrova
02-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

PWN3D:whipped:
We went there once when it first opened and we got the same opinion that the majority have stated:thumbsdow

BTW teach isn't it spelled "ambience?"
:poosie:

The_1
02-06-2004, 04:00 PM
you should go check out Pho Tarus in country hills :barf:

max_boost
02-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by switch
I would have liked to see the replies to this thread if this was posted:

"Dude, the Olive Garden is yellow-washed with asians. I went there for the Italian atmosphere, not to be served by a dude named chin!"

pretty sad. LOL
Have you ever been to Chinati's 17thAve/Crowfoot/Macleod? Kitchen workers are all ethnic Chinese/Vietnamese!!! And servers are all white, I just thought it was interesting. The good thing is, the food sure comes out fast, hot and fresh but it's only pasta that I order.

The one thing I can't stand about Bagolac is the service. The food is decent enough. When it takes 10 minutes to get a menu after we have been seated, then another 20 minutes until someone comes to take our order.....there is an issue. Maybe if I was Asian I would get better service? Ahhh, being in the restaurant industry myself, only reason, not to come across as an excuse, is they were probably really busy. In my experience, the worst I think was Kelsey's (somewhere up North) 10mins to get our menu, 10 mins to get our drinks, 15 mins to place our order, 40 mins to get our food. They were lucky we weren't in a rush. The weird thing was, there were only two tables in the restaurant!! WTF?!

Originally posted by MerfBall
Actually Vietnamese places catering to white people is pretty smart. Think about it how many white people would you see walking into Pho 88 or any other shadey places. And who do you think tips better in asian restaurants white people or asians?

Location definitely makes a difference in the clientele you attract. 99% of the people that pass through my doors are white. My lunch crowd is a good mix of both white/blue collar workers and dinner is mostly families. Or as one ignorant member summed it up "white trash biker's and their families" blah blah

switch
02-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
LOL
Have you ever been to Chinati's 17thAve/Crowfoot/Macleod? Kitchen workers are all ethnic Chinese/Vietnamese!!! And servers are all white, I just thought it was interesting. The good thing is, the food sure comes out fast, hot and fresh but it's only pasta that I order.

Chiantis right?

LOL, I heard that.

Most people don't realize some of the best Italian/French chefs worldwide are Chinese or Japanese.

legendboy
02-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by The_1

ya that place is fuckin rotten, MR8 loves it tho, not sure why :confused:

egmike
02-06-2004, 04:29 PM

ya that place is fuckin rotten, MR8 loves it tho, not sure why :confused:

Yeah I like it but i am not a picky fucker like legendboi

00redLUDE
02-07-2004, 12:17 AM

Maybe if I was Asian I would get better service?

I'm asian and I find it is usually the other way around. Asian restaurants I've been to usually treat Asians like crap but when a White customer comes in they are all super nice to them. Could be because Asians do tend to give a crappy tip which sucks as well.

Hollywood
02-07-2004, 01:04 PM
LOL

Chianti's is the shitties italian place I have ever been to.

Most people don't realize some of the best Italian/French chefs worldwide are Chinese or Japanese.

Hahahaha sure they are. Dude you watch too much iron shef. There are italian grandma's that out do chefs in the world! But I'm talking real food not escargot ala mint squid legs stupid fancy stuff.

LUDELVR
02-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

But Leo....hate to be the one to break it to you......you are not asian either!

But sure make fun at a white guys.....But to this "Italian" guy, "noodles are fucking noodles to me, people call it Pho.... I call it pasta YO!" Nothing new here, shit when I came out of my mom's stomach I thought my ambilical cord was fucking spahetti!

Get fucked, I’m as asian as they come!!! Hahahaha Yah right, okay, you got me there, I got the black hair so I guess that counts for something ;) And as for the umbilical cord being spaghetti….fuck man, that’s just beat!!! Hahahahahaha :rofl:

Originally posted by SoSlowDx
PHO RANG DONG OWNZ:thumbsup:

That’s cuz you’z be a gangsta boy!! You fit right in!! ;);) :rofl: hahahaha

You got it homie!!! Hahahah, I’m so white I scare myself!! :rofl: I once tried to join the KKK, but unfortunately, they said I don’t have what it takes :dunno: I thought I proved myself when we went camping!! :rofl: hahaha

Originally posted by MerfBall

It’s true, and bagolac does this quite well, but still, a lot of Asians still go there because the food is still quite good with hearty portions! You see some white guys going to those “shady” places because…well, they know damn good pho when they eat it!! Hahahah
I mean some of the best pho I’ve had has come from places where it looks like it was toilet water boiled to perfection! :dunno: But just don’t ask to go into the kitchen right corey? Hahahaha :rofl:

Originally posted by cocoabrova

BTW teach isn't it spelled "ambience?"
:poosie:

You can spell it either way ;)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ambiance

Yah man, don’t people watch Iron Chef!!! ;) hahahaha

nismodrifter
02-07-2004, 02:05 PM

Yah man, don’t people watch Iron Chef!!! ;) hahahaha

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5.9 R/T
02-07-2004, 02:41 PM

That must be why all the Japanese restaurants are filled with Koreans.

szw
02-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

That must be why all the Japanese restaurants are filled with Koreans. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

finboy
02-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE

I'm asian and I find it is usually the other way around. Asian restaurants I've been to usually treat Asians like crap but when a White customer comes in they are all super nice to them. Could be because Asians do tend to give a crappy tip which sucks as well.

not true at bubblemania.

i waited for an hour to get my order in.

could have been cause it was a friday (even though several people came in after us and get their food before we ordered), or i was with a group of other crackers, or my phillipino buddy wasn't trying hard enough to look asian. :rofl:

RiCE-DaDDy
02-08-2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

That must be why all the Japanese restaurants are filled with Koreans.

or chinese

ive worked with group that owns 3 jap restaurants, ginza at chinook, sumo at eau claire and yoyoki down south. All Chinese!!

p.s. while i was at Ginza, i was makin sushi with some other dude, and a piece from a roll hits the floor (nasty kitchen floor in winter), picks it up, dusts it off, looks at me and says, "Who the fuck cares, its all you can eat"

mo_virgin
02-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Hahahaha.... the reason i stopped eating at those places is cause you told me that:barf:

Maxt
02-08-2004, 11:54 AM
I have a live in source now for Japanese food....damn good food as well, there is alot more to Japanese food than just sushi, ramen,beef don and katsu don are pretty kick ass dishes.... Chinese and Koreans just can't capture the "essence" of it, the korean versions are just way to fucking hot, lay off the spice, why put chilli powder on the table when they add 5 gallons of it to all the dishes, the chinese versions are always to sweet, to light on the meat, and way off base on the rice, you can roll real j-spec rice into a ball with a chopstick..
Why do most Pho houses stink like piss? I think Oriental Pheonix and Bagolac are the only ones that don't, they actually have toilets that flush...Is that part of the ambience, the place has to be total shit whole to get good pho?.... I enjoy the pho at alot of places, but sometimes the cleanliness of the places has to be questioned, you walk in the door and go "hmm raw sewage, the pho must be kickass"....:bigpimp: ...Maxt

logix
02-09-2004, 03:07 AM
[B] LOL

hahahaha.. true true, all 3 locations, all asians. i still work 1 day a week there lol

pho binh minh is pretty good, and the one on 17th :)

Ajay
02-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Anyone been to Saigon Y2K across from McMahon? Heard it's pretty good!

My fave Vietnamese restaurants are Pho Kim, Golden Bell, Saigon Palace.

logix
02-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Anyone been to Saigon Y2K across from McMahon? Heard it's pretty good!

My fave Vietnamese restaurants are Pho Kim, Golden Bell, Saigon Palace.

saigon y2k across mcmahon? i hate that place :thumbsdow
pho kim is good, never been to the other 2

KimberlyTia
02-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Pho is definetly the bomb when you're
sick tho!!!
:werd:

heavyD
02-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Okay, I just got back from that Vietnamese restaurant, Oriental Phoenix out on barlow trail! Okay, that is like the whitest washed asian place I've been to! The food was mediocre and virtually everyone that works there was white!! haah, not that there's anything wrong with that but it was like a scene from an old movie where they got white people to play asian characters! Okay, not that bad, but you get the point. The servings were tiny and the price was more than what you'd expect to pay at any Vietnamese rest.

Anyway, the rest. itself was very nice, very clean (especially the bathrooms) unlike most vietnamese restaurants, but then again, I don't eat in the bathroom...unless I'm really really drunk! haha, and the only Vietnamese rest. that parallels this one for cleanliness is Bagolac. Only difference is bagolac is WAY better food, WAY bigger portions, and WAY hotter staff!! Especially the owner! ;);) Yah, and the cook aint bad too, aye del lude? hahahaha

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience there. Food was decent, service was okay (old white lady), layout and appearance of restaurant was excellent (it didn't look like they got the meat from out in the alley)

Food: 6/10
Portions: 3/10
Ambiance: 5/10
Authenticity: 2/10
Restaurant Presentation: 9/10

I don't know, but maybe a good authentic vietnamese outing has to parallel eating in a crowded, small room with no elbow room and the yelling of "PHO DAC BIET, UH HUH, ANYTHING ELSE?" tied in with....I don't know....oh let's say.....ASIANS!!!! can make me feel like I'm actually eating vietnamese food!! hahaha:rofl:

Tough review. Are you that gay guy from the Calgary Sun? Louise B. Hobson or whatever?

lam-boy
02-12-2004, 01:38 PM
okay lets review with me
haha

1) food sucks, i dont like it in anyway.
2) people who eat there are mostly white.
asian people don't eat there because its too expensive.
and yeah the one on barlow is filled with white workers because the manager is white.
3) i only liked their food when i was young, and back when it was working down on ghetto 17th ave.
4) you think we get good tip there but no. business men with suits and all tip like 2 dollars on a 100 dollar bill. which is horrible.

5) anyone want a part time waiter? im for hire! haha
i've had enough of the OP staff.

and i agree with leo on everything. i mean the authenticy of the food is pure garbage. i eat out quite often. until i went to vietnam and expierenced the food, i actually thought alot of places had good food. NOTHING beats home cooking. i've yet to see an authentic vietnamese resturant...but after all your not gonna make money from serving old vietnamese people bun bo hue or anything haha.

LUDELVR
02-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy
.but after all your not gonna make money from serving old vietnamese people bun bo hue or anything haha.

bun bo hue, is that when you go through the fake closet and into the massage lounge? ;) ;) hahaah:rofl:

LUDELVR
02-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Tough review. Are you that gay guy from the Calgary Sun? Louise B. Hobson or whatever?

Nope, I'm his replacement, but yes I am a tough reviewer, you should see how I scored your mom :poosie: :barf: :thumbsdown: and all in that order! :rofl:

heavyD
02-13-2004, 01:50 PM

Nope, I'm his replacement, but yes I am a tough reviewer, you should see how I scored your mom :poosie: :barf: :thumbsdown: and all in that order! :rofl:

Jeeze! I thought mom was better than that? She's always had a soft spot for small penises.:guns:

Foz
02-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by The_1

Done that. I'd think they'll fair better being on Fear Factor.

Oh wait. There's one place worse than that. It's down near MacKenzie Lake area.. the one near Superstore shopping centre.. :barf:

oh and major rip off.. for what you get.. talk about skimping out on everything..

LUDELVR
02-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Jeeze! I thought mom was better than that? She's always had a soft spot for small penises.:guns:

hahaha, well, really, anything would be small when you're comparing it to the grand canyon of poons!!!!:poosie: I mean shit, you could drive a tanker truck off the cliff into that thing and it would still want more!!!

And that soft spot...well, I'm still wondering if it's her clit or a or some left over turkey from thanksgiving!!!! hahaha :rofl:

Oh yah, and to bring things back to food, I guess it's like what someone said on this board...it's like chucking a hot dog down a hallway!!

In Fat lady voice from Duece Bigalow: Male Gigalo
"Have you ever parked your bike in an airplane hangar?"
hahahahah :rofl: :rofl:

bunos
02-17-2004, 07:40 PM
There's a Viet restaurant on 17th right next to Mac's kinda near Wendy's. Forget the name, but very tasty, cheap, and very friendly.

pinoyhero
02-20-2004, 08:32 AM
DO you complain when asians work at macdonals?

BebeAphrodite
02-26-2004, 02:32 AM
A Touch of Ginger is also a disgrace. It's even worse than Oriental Phoenix.
When we went to Oriental Phoenix we ordered two beef satays. It was no good at all.. something about the mix was all wrong... tasted funny. Ate maybe two spoon fulls. Sat there staring at the meal. Bill came.. it was over $10 for pho!!! $10 for crappy pho!!!!
ya, needless to say, just paid, left the nearly full bowl there, and I'll never ever go there again.
Oriental Phoenix
Food 2/5
Service 2/5
Ambience 4/5 (at least it was clean)
Touch of Ginger
Food 1/5

lam-boy
02-26-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
A Touch of Ginger is also a disgrace. It's even worse than Oriental Phoenix.
When we went to Oriental Phoenix we ordered two beef satays. It was no good at all.. something about the mix was all wrong... tasted funny. Ate maybe two spoon fulls. Sat there staring at the meal. Bill came.. it was over $10 for pho!!! $10 for crappy pho!!!!
ya, needless to say, just paid, left the nearly full bowl there, and I'll never ever go there again.
Oriental Phoenix
Food 2/5
Service 2/5
Ambience 4/5 (at least it was clean)
Touch of Ginger
Food 1/5

no kidding huh, OP SUCKS! haha.

BebeAphrodite
02-26-2004, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

or chinese

ive worked with group that owns 3 jap restaurants, ginza at chinook, sumo at eau claire and yoyoki down south. All Chinese!!

p.s. while i was at Ginza, i was makin sushi with some other dude, and a piece from a roll hits the floor (nasty kitchen floor in winter), picks it up, dusts it off, looks at me and says, "Who the fuck cares, its all you can eat"
Whoa.. good thing I don't eat all you can eat