PDA

View Full Version : Class 3 drivers course?

Zero102
06-23-2012, 01:28 PM
My brother-in-law needs to get his class 3 for his work and he also needs to do it as soon as possible. He is writing the written portion of it today but is looking for a place that offers a class 3 course that is reasonably thorough and will prepare him well for the test. Of course time is also a concern so places with long waiting lists or that are booking months down the road are out of the question. His work will provide him with a truck for the test but will not provide training. Who would you guys recommend?

master hec0
06-23-2012, 03:55 PM
I have been told that CCA Driving school is the only place that is really good and desired by Calgary companies.

I got my Class 1 at a place called MOGA Driving school in the NE. It was recommended to me by an associate of my fathers and was affordable but their was a bit of a language barrier being that the instructor was east Indian.
I passed the test after 15hours in truck training 2hrs a day the information was relatively good but I went and paid for 2 hours in truck at CCA for some extra information I was lacking.

regardless Go for the Class 1 It's all the same only addition is a trailer and the cost to go for your 1 vs your 3 is almost non existent.

Also I got my airbrakes at High river Driving school those guys know their stuff and I would have gone with them over Moga if I had known the wiser.

Wakalimasu
06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Class 2 gets class 3 and is usually cheaper even though you would have no idea how to drive one of those big rigs. :dunno: You will also need a medical.

I have my class 2 + airbrakes so I'm licensed to drive anything on the road but a tractor with trailer and/or motorcycles

P_D
06-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Ill 2nd what the other poster said. Have him get his class 1 because its almost the same price and then you have the option of pulling a trailer later on

master hec0
06-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by P_D
Ill 2nd what the other poster said. Have him get his class 1 because its almost the same price and then you have the option of pulling a trailer later on

forgot to mention. I was originally intending to get class 3 only for driving a dump truck. well quickly I was put into a dump truck with a Quad wagon I wouldn't be able to drive it if it wasn't for class 1 my instructor told me that hes going to train me with a trailer regardless so I might as well test with one too Im glad he did.

I don't get why I cant drive a motorcycle with a class 1:dunno:
When I get my motorcycle license is my license going to say class 1 + 6? or how does that work?

MrSector9
06-23-2012, 11:07 PM
When I get my motorcycle license is my license going to say class 1 + 6? or how does that work?

yes it does

lellowrx7
06-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Caa is where I got mine.
My work paid for it so I'm not sure on the costs but it's probably the best place to go.
They give you a different teacher every lesson so your not stuck in the same routine. And they prep you extremely well for your test.
I'd 100% recommend it.

vengie
06-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Like everyone has said, get the class 1, it opens wayyyy more doors if he chooses to leave his class 3 job.

I also recommend CCA driving school, that is where I took my class 1, very good instruction/equipment.

lellowrx7
06-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Also Caa provides truck and training. 13 speed truck too so you get the full experience. Most class three vehicles are only 10 speed without the split shift.
If he doesn't need class one then don't waste the $1000+ gettin it.

I know Caa will set you up with an instructor who wil test you at the end of your lessons.
They take you on a familiar route which is nice and helps you feel comfortable with the test. (not that you won't be ready because they do a fantastic job teaching you)

Black Gts
06-24-2012, 04:54 AM
There is no + I tell people I have a class sixteen all the time, atleast it amuses me haha

Zero102
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice so far. Just to make sure he has a proper understanding going in, how much does a class 3 course typically run, and it was mentioned the class 1 is not much more, how much more should he expect it to be?

master hec0
06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
there is actually no price deference.

http://highriverdrivingschool.com/commercial-driver.html

darthVWader
06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
I agree go with the class one. But if he is on the hook for the cost and can't afford it and just needs the 3 to work then I would go for the 2 for sure. It's only $800.00 with air or $600.00 without.
http://www.wtsafety.com/classinfo.htm

My old old job wanted me to have my 3 but didn't want to pay for it so I took my 2 at wtsafety. Saved me a tonne of cash.

If his future is driving then the 1 for sure!!!!!!

spikerS
06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
I got my class 1 from "A" driving school, cost me a whopping $380, and that included my Air brakes course and endorsement. I found the instructors there quite knowing, and easy to talk to, and even joked around. I would highly recommend them to anyone thinking about it.

Mind you, this was 15-16 years ago...

Zero102
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I took my class 5 school with "A" driving school, I had the craziest asian driving instructor and the whole place seemed like a gong show. This was about 12 years ago, but it was fun so I recommended them but then thought I should come here and see what the popular opinions are :)

He only needs the class 3 because he may be required to drive a specific truck at his work on occasion (he hasn't been asked to in 6 months in this position and they agree it isn't terribly likely but it is a job requirement). He works for the city and isn't interested in a future of driving which is why if there was a price difference it wouldn't be worth it to him.

Thanks for the advice guys, time to get him licensed :)