PDA

View Full Version : Rock/Plant garden questions.

Seth1968
06-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Hello.

I plan on making something like this garden:

http://www.njgravelsand.com/catalog/ProdImages/cedar%20mulch%20scenic.bmp

I can't find a picture of the bricks I'll be using, but they're slightly curved, 8" high, and are notched at the ends to "somewhat" lock together. The bricks will only be one level high.

1) Would burying the bricks 3" suffice? Once in place, should I mortar the inside seams to avoid movement?

2) I'll be using a thick tarp covered with red mulch to avoid weed growth. The tarp will be angled slightly to allow for drainage. Since the lack of light will kill the grass under the tarp, do I still need to dig out the grass?

Thanks.

tch7
06-24-2012, 06:59 AM
You should use a geotextile rather than a tarp.

You don't need to remove the sod as just covering it should work, but I'd recommend tilling it anyway. Works out better in my experience.

Kloubek
06-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't know about the rest of your questions, but do *not* mortar. If you're only going one layer of bricks it will most certainly crack apart.

Seth1968
06-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks Kloubek.

I was only thinking about mortaring the unseen inside seams. The idea was to prevent the pressure of the infill soil from pushing out the bricks. Probably overkill though, as the height of the bricks will only be 5" above ground level (3 inches buried).

Kloubek
06-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Oh, I get why you wanted to do it. But I don't think it would work as planned. If you're planning on burying them 3" and only going 5" above grade, they will be plenty secure.