PDA

View Full Version : Going to Cancun August 18 which resort?

black300
06-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Hello beyonders,

Me and a few of my friends are wanting to head out to Cancun in and around August 18th however none of us never have been to Cancun or Mexico before. So we don't know which resort to book, I have looked at Grand Oasis Cancun reviews online and on beyond, it's a hit or miss some are good reviews while other are terrible.

We all are in the age range of 19-23, looking to have fun!

Is it a good time when we are going? Will there be a lot of people? Any resorts that would be awesome or better for us than Grand Oasis Cancun?

Also where in the city should we go to night clubs?

And any tips/suggestions!

Thanks a lot!

lasimmon
06-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Probably one of the slowest times of the year. But saying that I have had lots of fun at te Grand Oasis

GoChris
06-24-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm going to the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort tomorrow. Will let you know how it is when I get back.

nj2Type-S
06-24-2012, 11:35 PM
you've gotta check out coco bongo! :eek:

black300
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
any others?

jaysas_63
06-25-2012, 04:06 PM
back when i use to hit up Cancun grand oasis was the place to be, not sure where the party crowd is now.

Generally speaking If you want a good time, look for the cheaper hotels. that's where you'll find the younger party crowd.

I prefer the playa del carmen resorts now that im a little older. beaches are less congested, hotels are bigger, food is better, and the crowd isn't as loud. the city itself (5th avenue) is really cool to chill in, has a European flare to it. some nice lounges in the area.

supe
06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
If you care about beaches stay on a east side resort. Cancun is shaped like the number 7, if you stay on the north side you wont get real waves. Grand oasis is on the east side.

Masked Bandit
06-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
I'm going to the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort tomorrow. Will let you know how it is when I get back.

Post a report when you get back. The wife & I were there WAYYY back in 2001. I would be interested to hear what you think of it.

gatorade
06-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Everyone I know who has gone to Grand Oasis has said it was terrible, dirty as hell, worst resort they've ever been to. I also considered going there as well because it is known as the party resort, but the stories were so bad that I'm glad that I did not.

pf0sh0
06-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by GoChris

I went here last year. I had a great experience. We lucked out and got the nicest part of the resort for a great deal. The restaurants were great, as well as the buffets.

I would recommend it. Although, if you're looking for a crazy party scene, might not be it.... But then again maybe I just missed the party scene.. I went in the beginning of august.

I would go back anytime

+1 barcelo maya

Ven
06-26-2012, 10:50 PM
The 5* Barcelo Mayan Palace Deluxe was pretty swank, the lesser resorts on the same property seemed quite nice too.

The beaches were a disgusting mix of cigarette butts, straws, plastic cups, and general little bits of garbage.

We had good service the whole time. The food was quite good but I got Montezuma's Revenge and shit yellow puss from my ass for 14 days.

I have no plans to return to Mexico, but if I did I'd visit a Barcelo property again.

Affinityion
06-27-2012, 03:29 PM
My friends and I have booked vacations two years in a row at Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe. Had no issues with staffing, security, and the food was pretty decent too.

austic
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
back when i use to hit up Cancun grand oasis was the place to be, not sure where the party crowd is now.

Generally speaking If you want a good time, look for the cheaper hotels. that's where you'll find the younger party crowd.

I prefer the playa del carmen resorts now that im a little older. beaches are less congested, hotels are bigger, food is better, and the crowd isn't as loud. the city itself (5th avenue) is really cool to chill in, has a European flare to it. some nice lounges in the area.
This sums it up nicely. I prefer going one step further and heading to Cozumel...even slower than Playa

mugensix
06-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Going to Oasis for the 4th time haha. Also aug 18 :0! Maybe ill see you there

GoChris
06-29-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm at the Barcelo Maya Beach right now. It's quite nice. It's not busy at all, the place is huge but they make it seem small as there is trees and vegetation everywhere around all the paths, many many paths.

The beach is super clean and sandy, no garbage, butts, or cups. The food is great and the booze is strong enough. It's nice that you can visit the pools and pool area bars and restaurants for the other 3 hotels (not the palace).

I can write more when I get back early next week. I'll for sure be coming back here again, probably with the kids next time as they have a very nice kids water park at the Barcelo Colonial.

jdmakkord
07-04-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm leaving Monday for a week in both Cancun and the Mayan. I'll be visiting 40ish hotels over a 7 day period! I'll give you some feedback when I get home, if you haven't booked something already.

calgary350z
07-05-2012, 09:42 AM
El Dorado Royale was amazing but was a little bit more than most resorts. Was amazing all around.

RickDaTuner
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Gran Carribe Real. One of the best can in hotels I've been to and infrequent often ;-)

GoChris
07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Well I pretty much summed up the place earlier I think. But after staying at a couple places on the west side in previous years, I don't think I'll ever go back there again.

I'll also likely stay at a Barcelo again in the Mayan Riviera. I stayed at the Beach, and also checked out the Caribe a tiny bit. The other 2 there I only checked out their pools and beach area, all which were top notch like the other 2. One of them has a huge kids water park with many slides and fun water activities. If I go with kids we'll stay there (or one of the other 3 since you can visit all 4 pool and beach areas included).

We had a king size bed room, just a standard, and it was roomy. It has a balcony, a couch, couple chairs and a small table, desk and a nice sized bench area to throw a suitcase or two on. Plus ample closet space. The A/C blew nice and cold, but don't expect it to get down to 20. 24 felt very cold coming in from 35+ degree weather.

The food was spectacular every single night. We checked out two of the a la carte restaurants, they were very good quality and tasty food.

The theatre at night was also super entertaining and we went every night. Fun for all ages mostly, although some of the outfits were pretty skimpy at times. :poosie:

TE4MFaint
07-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Went to the Grande Oasis back in April for American spring break. Absolutely bonkers.

Its definitely the main party resort of Cancun. You don't get quality rooms there. You're meant to be outside all day drinking.

Have fun my man! I had an absolute blast :thumbsup:

Also if you are looking for places to go for clubs me and my friends did the following and I would highly recommend ALL of them.

Tuesday night - Cabana Beach. Basically a huge pool party. If I recall it was $60 for the bus at the resort, got to skip the line up, bottle service all night. Was probably around 4000 people when we were there (keep in mind american spring break is retarded busy)

Daddy O's is an amazing 4 tiered night club. You gotta wear t-shirt, no flip flops and no hats however.

Never went to CocoBongo for the simple fact it was just way too fucking packed. Heard good things however.

The offer a "party hopper" which basically takes you to 3 different clubs for $60 and you get guys to run back and forth to get you drinks all night at each place, get to skip the lines, was a good time as well.

Thursday night I believe is the Foam party on the resort, was also a rad time.

Basically, always buy the wrist bands at the resort to ensure you get to skip the lines and get bottle service all night.

black300
07-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Will certainly go out to those places! Thanks a lot