PDA

View Full Version : Re-importing a Canadian car

9taccord
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
My girlfriend moved to Florida last year and brought her Canadian Civic with her and imported+registered it down there.

She now lives in Calgary and needs to register it here but she lost the form they gave her at the border in order for her to import it back to Canada. I'm very unfamiliar with all this and was wondering what she needs to do to be able to register it in Alberta. Just figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

schocker
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I would give the RIV a call as they are in charge of all canadian vehicle importations. Perhaps they can give you some information? Couldn't see it being a big deal as it is a canadian car to begin with.
www.riv.ca
1-888-848-8240 (toll free from Canada or the United States)

9taccord
06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I would give the RIV a call as they are in charge of all canadian vehicle importations. Perhaps they can give you some information? Couldn't see it being a big deal as it is a canadian car to begin with.
www.riv.ca
1-888-848-8240 (toll free from Canada or the United States)

^ thanks :)

dannie
06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
She has to go through the same process as though the vehicle is a US car. She's got to deal with RIV and complete the out of province inspection before it can be registered.

9taccord
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Do we have to go to the border or can it be done from Calgary?

9taccord
06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I called, just need to go to the airport to get another "Form 1".

rayk_sland
06-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Just wanted to say that we're doing a similar thing and it doesn't have to go through RIV. RIV didn't tell us that -- toyota did. If the car was purchased in Canada RIV doesn't have to get involved. There's even a section on the customs import form that lists that as a reason it doesn't have to go through RIV. The only thing we are having to do is get a provincial inspection.

thetransporter
06-17-2013, 10:50 PM
i had cars registered in Alberta - registered in US and returned back without going through RIV there is exceptions of RIV they will tell you at the border as well.