PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: Major home repairs

Jynx
06-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Hello,

The house is in need of major renos, everything from painting, to roofing, to carpet and windows etc...

Where do we start?

Anyone know any good painters?

The house is roughly 2200 sqft.

What should a new roof cost us? How much is painting?

We are thinking of starting with the outside because it is summer and then working our way inside.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also doing anything ourselves is out of the question.

Thanks!

Nadim

bourge73
06-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Pm Cdave45 on here he is the man when it comes to home renos, doing good work, and being honest. Surely he knows other subs too. He is like the Mike Holmes of Beyond :thumbsup:

C_Dave45
06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
First order of business is determine what your budget is going to be. Your list is very vague...that could easily be a $60,000 reno. Determine your budget, then go from there. Get estimates from many different contractors...in writing!

*edit*...haha...thanks for the compliment. (Typing at the same time.)

sputnik
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Do NOT pay ANY contractors up front.

Jynx
06-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
First order of business is determine what your budget is going to be. Your list is very vague...that could easily be a $60,000 reno. Determine your budget, then go from there. Get estimates from many different contractors...in writing!

*edit*...haha...thanks for the compliment. (Typing at the same time.)

I think for the exterior we want to get the best possible deal while for the inside we will pick and choose what we want.

Just want to know roughly what roofing costs and paint costs for now.

As for a budget, we will set that based on what is needed and not the other way around.

We are assuming inside and out will cost anywhere from 100-130k.

House is 22 years old and hasn't been maintained unfortunately.

Im hearing if we go with asphalt shingles it should be roughly $8k for the roof - Does this sound right?

Any negatives to using asphalt?

Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.

roopi
06-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Do NOT pay ANY contractors up front.

:werd:

tnuc
06-25-2012, 08:33 PM
ashpalt is the most common type of roofing product. Most average products now have a lifetime product warranty. and depending on your home 8k is average. PM'ed you

AndyL
06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Start with the outside stuff... there's no point painting until all the leaks drafts and replacing is done, your going to end up tearing out trim and drywall and I inevitably having some leaks and follow up, once that's sealed up - then you can start thinking about fixing up the inside

FiveFreshFish
06-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Jynx
Im hearing if we go with asphalt shingles it should be roughly $8k for the roof - Does this sound right?

Any negatives to using asphalt?

Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.

I replaced my pine shake roof with asphalt last fall. It's the best value of all roofing materials. My neighbourhood originally required wood shakes in the architectural controls but now 15+ years on, almost every neighbour replacing a roof had chosen asphalt. Those who didn't use asphalt opted for more expensive materials like concrete or rubber.

Jynx
06-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the info.

What about exterior painting? Rough costs?

Thanks!

Afrodeziak
06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
just something to add... when you agree on a price, get it in writing.

I'm seeing someone go through a long court case right now because nothing was in writing and the contractor is now wanting 50% more at the end of completion.

InRich
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
sigh.... why dont you phone around and get some quotes. we all know your gonna be going with the cheapest contractor at the end anyways...

Daves not gonna be cheap... hes probably gonna be the most expensive actually, but the shit he does will be perfect and you'll never have issues with his work.

same with me... my roofs average 10 - 14k for a house your size, but you can get it done with junkies R us roofing for probably 8 - 9k.

Ven
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
...and if anyone knows a good framer please PM me. :D