PDA

View Full Version : Archery in Calgary?

TimG
06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
The wife and I are interested in learning some Archery skills.

Are there any ranges in Calgary where we could get lessons and shoot some targets?

FraserB
06-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Calgary Archery Center, it should still be over by Peigan and 52nd. Indoor range and there is an outdoor range as well for members.I did it for about 2 years and it was a blast. They do lessons on the weekend and they have rental equipment.

4855 47 ST SE CALGARY ALBERTA T2B 3S5

403-255-6830

max_boost
06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm interested as well! If I get good no intruders are coming into my house because I'm going to nail them to a wall. Also in case the apocalypse comes around hunger game styles.

FraserB
06-25-2012, 09:01 PM
I think you can set up a group shoot, we can get a Beyond group together and shoot apples off someone's head.

msommers
06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I went to Jim Bow's indoor range yesterday and was a total blast. If you don't know anything about bows like me, they show you how to shoot everything properly. $30 w/ rental cost of the compound bow + 3 arrows and the release thing, and all day access? Hell ya. $10 if you have your own stuff. Had a blast yesterday, must better than I remember archery as a kid.

flipstah
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
I've only gone to CAC and it's awesome!

BerserkerCatSplat is an avid archer on Beyond and was the one that got me hooked to it. Perhaps he can chime in.

I'd be game for a meet. :)

D'z Nutz
06-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
I think you can set up a group shoot, we can get a Beyond group together and shoot apples off someone's head.

I nominate Mar. If the range owner says we can, he can't say shit.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
I've only gone to CAC and it's awesome!

BerserkerCatSplat is an avid archer on Beyond and was the one that got me hooked to it. Perhaps he can chime in.

I'd be game for a meet. :)

Word, I'd be totally down for a meet. Calgary Archery Centre is my usual spot due to its indoors-ness. Range fee is $10 for the day and another $7 if you need to rent gear (recurve or compound). The rental gear is pretty weak (which isn't surprising as you don't want new archers pulling large poundage) but if you're an adult guy they usually give you a ~30lb draw which is great for starting and figuring things out.

Archery: you can learn to kill things, and it's cheaper than bowling!

flipstah
06-28-2012, 09:19 AM
That reminds me how I have yet to buy a set. :banghead:

statick
06-29-2012, 09:45 AM
I bought my gear and learned from Jim of Jim Bows, great guy. For beginners, there are a few things to consider between either place...

Jim Bows:
+ He will teach you how to shoot
- Rental of gear is more expensive
- His lanes are only 20 yards

CAC:
+ Lanes up to 50 yards
+ Cheaper gear rental
[I have no idea what kind of instruction they provide)

As I no longer live in Calgary, I haven't renewed my Calgary Archers Club membership, but it is a great outdoor range... Shooting lanes between 10 and 90 yards, a game course for broadheads and it's just at the border of Calgary. If there's enough interest in a group shoot, this may be worth considering.

LollerBrader
01-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by TimG
The wife and I are interested in learning some Archery skills.

Are there any ranges in Calgary where we could get lessons and shoot some targets?

I'm curious as to what you did and how it turned out.

With Katniss and Merida getting everyone excited, I hear it's been a bit of a crunch for anyone wanting to pick up a bow in 2012...

cancer man
01-14-2013, 05:43 AM
Ill post this here i'am selling my PSE compond bow with hunting arrows 180 grain tips.Camo in color and draw is set for 50lbs.
Pm me for more info if interested 400.00 firm.

TimG
01-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

I'm curious as to what you did and how it turned out.

With Katniss and Merida getting everyone excited, I hear it's been a bit of a crunch for anyone wanting to pick up a bow in 2012...

Unfortunately life happened and we weren't able to try any of the places out.

jampack
08-03-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm bumping this as discussed in "Post your latest purchase" thread, I will be starting archery around hopefully, next week once my bow arrives. I will, most likely, be in Calgary Archery Centre to practice (probably everyday lol). I will have to look for the right arrows first for me with the help of the staff there, do some lessons after. I've been so excited for the last few days that all I did when I get home is watch archery in youtube and research how each components of a complete recurve bow works lol. I work long hours too so I have more days off to practice!

Quite stoked to start. My dad is actually doing this as well but he chose to do compound bows and most likely to start at Jim Bows archery where he got his set. I will be doing recurve/Olympic style bow. Hope to see some beyonders around and help when I get better.. :)

MrSector9
08-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I have gone to both and Jim Bow's is a million times friendlier to me, The first time in CAC they never even said "Hello" and there was only me and another guy in there. I looked around for 10 minutes or so and left with no acknowldgement at all.

CAC however does have a longer range and is closer to me so I do go there to shoot but I will not buy anything there.

Jim Bows all the way :)

BerserkerCatSplat
08-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Yeah I only shoot at JimBows these days, they're a good bunch and I've had a mainly positive experience there. Keep in mind most of the staff there are compound guys and some of them know jack squat about recurves.

D'z Nutz
08-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Did you ever get around to making your bow, Trev?

Also my sister's boyfriend mentioned he saw you at the range the other day but wasn't sure if that was you. And is Jim Bows that place you were talking about with the swords? haha

BerserkerCatSplat
08-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Did you ever get around to making your bow, Trev?

Also my sister's boyfriend mentioned he saw you at the range the other day but wasn't sure if that was you. And is Jim Bows that place you were talking about with the swords? haha

Still working on it, albeit slowly and when I have time. I'm almost done the limb forms and the riser block is all finished and needs to be rough-cut next.

I'm at the range (Jim Bows) every Friday, so he may have seen me there. It's not the one with the swords in the back room though, that's Calgary Archery Centre. I haven't been there in a few months.

jampack
08-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9
I have gone to both and Jim Bow's is a million times friendlier to me, The first time in CAC they never even said "Hello" and there was only me and another guy in there. I looked around for 10 minutes or so and left with no acknowldgement at all.

CAC however does have a longer range and is closer to me so I do go there to shoot but I will not buy anything there.

Jim Bows all the way :)

I actually would agree with you! I've been to both and can say, Jim Bows for sure have positive atmosphere inside; the owner is great and explained everything to us about compound bows and done a lot of teaching about archery. CAC is the closest to me and with recurve Olympic style, I would need their longer range especially in the future (indoor). CAC just happens to have the most recurve equipments also, one of the reason I will get most of my stuff from them. I will be going to both; to Jim Bow's for sure when I'm with the old man.

See you guys around hopefully soon! :)

jampack
08-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Updates! So, got my riser and limbs and I had to get them somewhere else as CAC said it will take 4-6 weeks to get both riser and limbs! Ordered online and got both in less than a week; slightly cheaper as well compared to what CAC had offer. I changed my limb to the Hoyt 720 Limb as I figured I will use it for a while until I develop more muscles and change my draw weight:

http://temp2.element.si/Media/SlikeIT/Hoyt%20Formula%20720%20carbon%20limbs.JPG

I've been in CAC since I got my bow setup almost everyday (except this weekend as I work graveyard :( ). I'm still getting used to the sight for recurves; and fine tuning it. I need more and more practice and loving this sport. I got my bow setup by CAC but no one from there really thought me how to use the bow lol (although I didn't ask) but from research and previous experience; it has been good. It sounded like though they were slightly upset I got both riser and limbs from other store instead of them when I was talking to the guys there. Nonetheless, I am very happy to be doing this and will be for a long time. If anyone wants some lessons when I get more experience in archery, let me know :) Just give me a few more months though lol.